Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

fun hater posted:

come on. no one is going to stoop to responding in earnest to this manipulative faux-mea culpa. just learn to let things go instead of charging in wildly and swinging at anything that moves.

Yeah, I'm hoping someone just puts me out of my misery because I'm too much of a coward to do it to myself instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Spark That Bled posted:

You know what, maybe I don't deserve to live. Maybe I should seal myself in my flat and never come out and just let myself die.

Spark That Bled posted:

Yeah, I'm hoping someone just puts me out of my misery because I'm too much of a coward to do it to myself instead.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Spark, maybe you should just walk out of this derail, chill, maybe watch some cool content. It can only do you good.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Spark That Bled posted:

You know what, maybe I don't deserve to live. Maybe I should seal myself in my flat and never come out and just let myself die.

Here's the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline number

800-273-8255

Please don't use this thread to self harm.

I think you should stop posting in this thread.

Edit:

fun hater posted:

come on. no one is going to stoop to responding in earnest to this manipulative faux-mea culpa.

:negative: lol I did just in case they were serious. Either way, they need to stop.

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 21, 2021

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Jamie Faith posted:

Edit:

:negative: lol I did just in case they were serious. Either way, they need to stop.

lol i cant fault anyone for trying

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

fun hater posted:

lol i cant fault anyone for trying

I had a friend who would always "joke" about killing themselves, and then they finally did kill themselves last year, so I take this stuff very seriously :smith:

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 21, 2021

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
If there's one thing I do hate more than myself, it's me being branded as a liar or insincere. You can call me stupid or not noticing anything, but I'm not letting any of you call me a liar.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This has finally reached a point that puts it worse than BotL's posts. Not his actions, just his SA posts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2Y5-4kLb5I

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Spark That Bled posted:

If there's one thing I do hate more than myself, it's me being branded as a liar or insincere. You can call me stupid or not noticing anything, but I'm not letting any of you call me a liar.

Like I said, you're clearly not in a good place mentally right now, and using this thread to self-harm will only make things worse. I highly recommend talking to some kind of therapist or even just a friend you can vent to over doing whatever it is you're doing in this thread.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

This has finally reached a point that puts it worse than BotL's posts. Not his actions, just his SA posts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2Y5-4kLb5I

Haha, I knew you would respond to my video with that video, which was the video I wanted posted all along!

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Spark That Bled is hereby threadbanned, and I suggest they speak to someone they trust in private to vent their frustrations and also take a break from the internet for a while

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Mr Phillby posted:

The fundamental issue with your argument is that your saying the movie is criticising movies that use themes of female empowerment as a smokescreen to excuse a bunch of obectifying material oh whoops I just described suckerpunch exactly.

This is a bit like saying trainspotting is a movie that glorifies drug abuse, or that Oliver Stones Wallstreet glorifies wall street corruption. Context obviously matters

BFC posted:

I swear to god you're gonna make me rewatch Sucker Punch just so that I don't misremember poo poo from it that somehow completely invalidates the fact that 75% of the movie is anime cosplay girls with the camera whizzing around to show off as much T&A as possible.

The camera wizzes around to show the action, not T&A. afaik it never zooms in on emphasize their tits or asses like say, Michael Bay does in Transformers. There's no shot where the camera slowly pans across her thighs up to her boobs while she piruettes in slow motion for instance, and in every action sequence the main character has this look on her face as if she's in pain

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s funny you mention Michael Bay as this whole argument feels like the Michael Bay arguments in CD years ago

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
I watched some clips of some of the fight scenes on youtube and I agree that it's not male gazily shot and some of the choreo is pretty dope. It still has Babydoll's costume being one big panty shot which sadly negates a lot of that for me personally. It's been almost a decade since I've seen it, but I mainly remember liking the soundtrack, digging the action scenes and getting super uncomfortable every time anything happened in "The real world". Unfortunately not in a good way.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
https://twitter.com/summoningsalt/status/1363548876305698818

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

McCloud posted:

This is a bit like saying trainspotting is a movie that glorifies drug abuse, or that Oliver Stones Wallstreet glorifies wall street corruption. Context obviously matters
Not to you apparently as you yourself stated exactly what kind of movie this was marketed as.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

McCloud posted:

At the same time, if most people walk away from your movie not understanding your vision then that's not a good sign for the movie. Funny thing about Wall Street, since I was thinking about it a few days ago. Someone in CD most have mentioned it.

I think it's a good example of the issue of portrayals. Gecko's Greed is Good speech is a legitimately positive portrayal. In that moment he is the model image of the good equity guy. He's stepping in to cut the rot out of a dying, bloated company so he can save it. And also he'll make him and other investors a bunch of cash for their "help." The back half of the movie is then about tearing down the myth, yadda, yadda yadda.

But you're still left with a lot of glorification of Wall Street and people walking out thinking that "Wow, it turned out that he was a bad guy. Too bad he wasn't one of the good guys like I thought. Oh well" and never going deeper. Most people just remember and repeat the interesting tidbits of the movie, so you have the Greed is Good speech rise out as the standout thing people remember.

And also Wall Street 2 kind of undercuts everything and makes you wonder if he intended any real critic from the start with, so...

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I'd just say Sucker Punch was a plain unpleasant watching experience, whenever it wasnt being pointless.
But that's just me.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

RareAcumen posted:

Since we're all confessing to having awful opinions or wanting to start terrible derails the last few pages, I liked both of those Sherlock movies from the early 2010s and found a neat video of the RDJ Sherlock movies and how neat it is that they feel 'smart' somehow?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_25BVvr8QWU

As a dummy, I always described those kinds of stories as Yu-gi-oh trap card fights or Jojo fights. 'I knew you'd do that.' 'Well I knew that you knew that I knew you would do that.' 'And I already knew that you knew that I knew that you knew that I knew that you would already make plans around that' and so on and so on.

The Guy Ritchie Sherlock Homes movies are great (aside from Noomi Rapace being cast as a Romani fortune teller in the second one :stare:.) I think we've talked here before about how the mind palace-type stuff they do is way more interesting and fun than the stupid poo poo the Sherlock series does.

Spark That Bled posted:

Since apparently multiple people use this thread of all places to self-harm, I'm going to take this seriously and say you should close down the internet and call your therapist or a loved one to talk right now.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Jeeeeeez, man. Not pleasant at all, these last couple of pages.

I hope Spark That Bled does better and really do wish that these slap fights didn't keep happening. Being threadbanned is just probably for the best though 'cause this thread just needs to be completely out of the freaking equation.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nuns with Guns posted:

The Guy Ritchie Sherlock Homes movies are great (aside from Noomi Rapace being cast as a Romani fortune teller in the second one :stare:.) I think we've talked here before about how the mind palace-type stuff they do is way more interesting and fun than the stupid poo poo the Sherlock series does.

Since apparently multiple people use this thread of all places to self-harm, I'm going to take this seriously and say you should close down the internet and call your therapist or a loved one to talk right now.

yea guy ritchie sherlock is fun as hell and captures the feel of the books better than most adaptations.

I also will go to the absolute mat for the old NBC show Sherlock, for somehow taking 'what if Sherlock was in NYC and Watson was...A LADY???' and made it genuinely good.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Grapplejack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONCA5ByrQe4

this man has the most cursed food opinions

he likes the poptart corners :psyduck:

I beleive the best way to eat a poptart is to eat the sides first, then enjoy the tasty frosty portions.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

lobster22221 posted:

I beleive the best way to eat a poptart is to eat the sides first, then enjoy the tasty frosty portions.

The ol' "save your lucky charms marshmallows for the end" strategy

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Mr Phillby posted:

Not to you apparently as you yourself stated exactly what kind of movie this was marketed as.

You're gonna have to elaborate on this because I'm not sure I get your meaning. At least I hope I don't, because I'm parsing it to something extremely stupid

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

At the same time, if most people walk away from your movie not understanding your vision then that's not a good sign for the movie. Funny thing about Wall Street, since I was thinking about it a few days ago. Someone in CD most have mentioned it.

I think it's a good example of the issue of portrayals. Gecko's Greed is Good speech is a legitimately positive portrayal. In that moment he is the model image of the good equity guy. He's stepping in to cut the rot out of a dying, bloated company so he can save it. And also he'll make him and other investors a bunch of cash for their "help." The back half of the movie is then about tearing down the myth, yadda, yadda yadda.

But you're still left with a lot of glorification of Wall Street and people walking out thinking that "Wow, it turned out that he was a bad guy. Too bad he wasn't one of the good guys like I thought. Oh well" and never going deeper. Most people just remember and repeat the interesting tidbits of the movie, so you have the Greed is Good speech rise out as the standout thing people remember.

And also Wall Street 2 kind of undercuts everything and makes you wonder if he intended any real critic from the start with, so...

It isn't exactly unusual, is it? People saw Fight club as a celebration of machismo and went out and created actual fight clubs, Starship troopers was taken at face value as a sci fi action flick with lots of folks missing the fascism commentary, etc etc. People often take different messages home from the film than what the intention may have been, we all bring our own baggage with us that makes us miss what for others is obvious subtext. I don't think it's entirely fair to blame that on the films. Hell, even Stephen Colberts extremely obvious satirical show about conservatives was taken at face value by conservatives who thought he was making fun of liberals. :shrug:

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

You gotta toast a pop tart yall

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

https://youtu.be/Ln9OoohupwE

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

40-Degree Day posted:

You gotta toast a pop tart yall

This is also correct.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

McCloud posted:

Since this is the "online Creators" thread, here's a video created by a dude online about sucker punch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEvQOqxK8l0

I watched the longer video this was clipped from and I probably shouldn't have.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You should never watch a video that the title is clearly clickbait

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
my absolute favorite idiots playing my absolute favorite games, again. I have been having basically a 7-day-long anxiety attack(yes I have been to a doctor, it takes time for meds to work) and these have been exceptionally good for getting my spirits up. I wish they played them more often but at the same time I wouldn't want them to get burned out on them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK9TiOO3FcE&hd=1&t=369s

Ultimate Chicken Horse, which has apparently added donkey kong barrels and beehives
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmn1slNn8PY&hd=1&t=250s

I just wish they uploaded anyone but Klaige's archives because I don't like his donation noises and his audio is too loud, but at least they're getting archived at all since they're some of my favorite stupid shenanigans on the internet.

The developers of Duck Game have specifically added and modified multiple aspects of the game due to these guys. They also have specifically not fixed certain bugs(zipping into other people's rooms in the lobby, as an example) because these guys make it so entertaining, though they did add a piece of lobby furniture that is just a straight-up turret to kill people zipping into your room instead :v:

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 22, 2021

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Solitair posted:

I watched the longer video this was clipped from and I probably shouldn't have.

It's a good video imo but I figured linking a video that long was overkill, so I settled with the relevant segment :v:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

lobster22221 posted:

oh did I not mention that he thinks that toasting pop-tarts is the wrong way to eat them

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Duck Game is the best thing to have come from the OUYA.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I love this guy's videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tySaCTKozpE

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The DC of SUCKER PUNCH is good. I still don't particularly like the movie all that much, but I do think its intent is a lot clearer in that version than the theatrical.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

get hype

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAh4IJysiLU

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

RareAcumen posted:

Since we're all confessing to having awful opinions or wanting to start terrible derails the last few pages, I liked both of those Sherlock movies from the early 2010s and found a neat video of the RDJ Sherlock movies and how neat it is that they feel 'smart' somehow?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_25BVvr8QWU

As a dummy, I always described those kinds of stories as Yu-gi-oh trap card fights or Jojo fights. 'I knew you'd do that.' 'Well I knew that you knew that I knew you would do that.' 'And I already knew that you knew that I knew that you knew that I knew that you would already make plans around that' and so on and so on.

I would definitely recommend Filmento's channel. The video that hooked me was his breakdown of how Men In Black International did so bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBi2WyPVaMI

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

McCloud posted:

You're gonna have to elaborate on this because I'm not sure I get your meaning. At least I hope I don't, because I'm parsing it to something extremely stupid
The film was heavily marketed as the thing you claim its a critique of.

Its all very well to say 'people will misinterpret anything' but I don't think its a strong critique if you can successfully market the movie as the thing its supposed to be arguing against without most of the audience noticing.

This leads me to the conclusion that like the media you say its a commentary of, the feminist message is there to excuse that otherwise this is a movie about women being brutalized inbetween flashy action sequences.

Its a fundamental question of 'is the movie set in a dream brothel to highlight the exploitation of the characters or was it so they had an excuse to dress everyone as strippers?'.

Also the films you mention (which aren't primarily commentaries of the portayal of drug users/wall st traders in other movies, btw love the good faith on display as usual) have clear negative consequences for the characters tied to their actions. In suckerpunch what are the negative consequences for pointless music videos that have zero connection to the plot other than being a vauge representation of the main character doing a distracting sexy dance to a guard in a brothel thats really an asylum? I have no idea what the film is saying about the character's agency when they're following instructions from a man in their own dream.

Yeah the plan goes wrong but iirc at least one of the girls escapes because of the sexy dance robot train fight plan. You can't even argue that the main characters sacrifice at the end was a rejection of the plan as its stated to be the 5th item they needed. The consequences for the characters plan were no more negative than any other prision escape plot in a movie.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7bRArcElC8&t=273s

This might have been buried in the Snyderchat but Raycevick has another deep dive into Need for Speed Carbon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I don't think it's exactly fair to bring the marketing of a film into what the film actually is. Marketing tends to be out of the filmmakers' control and it often lies about what the film is about all the freaking time. One infamous example that I can think of off the top of my head was for The Road. The trailers for that film position it as an action film set in a post-apocalypse when that film is anything but.