Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

wokow6 posted:

So I'm doing the Return to Ivalice quests so I can get to Bozja, cause I heard that's the best place to level, and...

Did they really just send me on a random wine side-quest midway through?
Yes and no. It'll come back around to something good at the end, I promise.

Nibble posted:

I can't believe, at the pinnacle of the entire Heavensward Bard storyline, in the middle of the climactic battle, they dropped a Zoidberg quote on me.

https://youtu.be/jG2KMkQLZmI
Koji is a treasure. And also a menace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

All according to keikaku...

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The wine quest is by far the best part of the Ivalice storyline.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

the best part of the ivalice storyline is THE EMPIRE IS A CANCER, AND I AM THE BARBER'S BLADE

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Clarste posted:

I got a Nam flashback to leveling in the 30s which was probably the point the jackals :argh:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I haven't played this game since 2014 and everything is so weird and different.

Also thank god fishing and crafting are still good.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Clarste posted:

It's the only good part

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yapping Eevee posted:

Yes and no. It'll come back around to something good at the end, I promise.

This is a dirty lie.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Endorph posted:

the best part of the ivalice storyline is THE EMPIRE IS A CANCER, AND I AM THE BARBER'S BLADE

Wrong, the best part was dozens of people at a time being slaughtered by red chocobo meteor spam.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

jalapeno_dude posted:

Wrong, the best part was dozens of people at a time being slaughtered by red chocobo meteor spam.

The emergent mass player death so traumatic that they made it a permanent feature of Bozja!

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Doing that mission on launch day was incredible; you could see the swarm of choco meteors straight across all of Yanxia

But the real best part of Ivalice was finding out that the hearts of men are black with corruption and must needs be cleansed

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Is Mustadio still the only boss who takes control away from the players for a cutscene to prime a mechanic?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Countblanc posted:

Is Mustadio still the only boss who takes control away from the players for a cutscene to prime a mechanic?

I mean a lot of the primals/trials take control away as well for phase changes if you count that as mechanics shifting.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
lol I'm just now doing Reunion side quests and I'm not sure if you're able to succeed with Cototo the first attempt but I sure hosed it up royally

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Countblanc posted:

the stupid elephant boss in whichever Vigil is the first dungeon of HW

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Pyro Jack posted:

I've got two Scaevan accessories left before I'll be fully decked out in Scaeven gear on my Gunbreaker. Outside of that, I decided to unlocked the various dungeons and raids (of regular and alliance flavor) that you can do after beating Stormblood. Shame that the trials involving the Four Lords can only be unlocked in the MSQ but I can handle it.

Don't feel like you've gotta collect all the Scaevan gear before you move on -- if you're only missing a few pieces, your ilvl is already high enough to keep you going through the MSQ til 75 or so. Frankly, I'm impressed that you've got the patience! There's so many quests that pop up after each expansion that I ended up just ignoring most of them til I finished Shadowbringers, since I couldn't wait that long to keep progressing the story. I still haven't finished Four Lords, come to think of it.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016

Phenotype posted:

Don't feel like you've gotta collect all the Scaevan gear before you move on -- if you're only missing a few pieces, your ilvl is already high enough to keep you going through the MSQ til 75 or so. Frankly, I'm impressed that you've got the patience! There's so many quests that pop up after each expansion that I ended up just ignoring most of them til I finished Shadowbringers, since I couldn't wait that long to keep progressing the story. I still haven't finished Four Lords, come to think of it.
Well, that's because I'm one of those people that likes to do every little quest when it's available. I never get actually bored of doing them either.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Countblanc posted:

Lakshmi?

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Countblanc posted:

Putting aside trial phase changes, as the others have mentioned, the one that just popped to mind is 9S for his first divebomb set.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zurvan was the first fight to have an actual cutscene iirc.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Casual Sunday.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Cythereal posted:

Casual Sunday.

:yeah: if I spent as much time playing as I did playing dress-up, my alt would be done with ShB by now.

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 21, 2021

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Copycat Zero posted:

Putting aside trial phase changes, as the others have mentioned, the one that just popped to mind is 9S for his first divebomb set.

ah yes, the Enochian killer.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
So does anybody have some fun lost action combos for DR? By default I tend toward WHM with Aetherweaver/Profane + Magic Font & Noble Ends.

Some others:
Irregular WAR with Power Font & Slash
Breathtaker BLM with copious Ether Kits

I'm thinking of trying Watcher with Swift and Honed Acuity with DRG. Swift will halve the cooldown of Battle Litany. Raidwides might trigger Acuity? Given that Twice-Come Ruin is also a damage down I don't exactly want to stand in things for a chance to trigger it.

Unless I did my math wrong, Watcher+Swift only reduces the CD of 90/120s skills to 70% of normal (and only 75% for 60s skills). Since I'm terrible with Summoner, Battle Litany it is.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Badger of Basra posted:

the stupid elephant boss in whichever Vigil is the first dungeon of HW

I hate that loving elephant. No, it's too important, players MUST see our new toss into the air animation, they CANNOT be allowed to dodge out of the telegraph.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Decided to try fishing again so I can get a retainer to hunt down fat cats for me.

This is much more pleasant when you're not on the trial and have a lot more storage! It probably also helps I generally know where places are instead of googling maps for longer than the fishing takes.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"Right, PotD solo, made it ten levels down time to do the next 20 without dying."
Immediately walks into two landmines on top of each other.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Its funny to detect who has mental scars from the PotD deep dive by watching how quickly they distance themselves from someone opening a chest

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

hell ive learned that just from farming 51-60

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Incredible. Most party members don't even learn how to use poms

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

learning to let someone walk ahead of you pays off when you get to DR

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

learning to let someone walk ahead of you pays off when you get to DR

/pray over their exploded corpse to thank them for their sacrifice before actually rezzing them

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

/respect is the one I use (I also use this on the Memories in E12)

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Bruceski posted:

"Right, PotD solo, made it ten levels down time to do the next 20 without dying."
Immediately walks into two landmines on top of each other.

potd traps dont spawn on the edges of rooms except in a few very specific room types so just hug the wall and you can avoid 99% of them

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
How about Cowboy Sunday?

Show me your raddest cowboy glams!

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Consummate Professional posted:

Decided to try fishing again so I can get a retainer to hunt down fat cats for me.

This is much more pleasant when you're not on the trial and have a lot more storage! It probably also helps I generally know where places are instead of googling maps for longer than the fishing takes.

This is what I've been using and it's been a tremendous QoL upgrade for my fishing experience.
https://ff14fish.carbuncleplushy.com/
Also, I figured out that these achievement poles have a glow to them when fishing that doesn't show up when previewing it as a weapon and NOW I get why these are awesome.

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013

Autodrop Monteur posted:

How about Cowboy Sunday?

Show me your raddest cowboy glams!

As someone who mains Machinist and mainly has them dressed up as a cowboy, I want to say I appreciate this.

Also, what gun is that?

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
Thanks! It's the Deepshadow Pistol.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Does cowboy fisherman count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Control Volume posted:

Incredible. Most party members don't even learn how to use poms

i've always wondered if it's "jrpg elixir hoarding" brain or "someone else might want to use it more" brain that keeps people from popping strengths ASAP