Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Infinitum posted:

lol the new Terraforming Mars Ares KS wants $45usd for 148 little metal cubes as an add-on.

Counterpoint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Beasts of Balance is back on KS having being acquired by US company Modern Games from the UK-based Sensible Object. It's still just as expensive, if not more so, considering all the optional add-ons and whatnot.

is this good? it seems outrageously expensive even by board game standards. looks interesting though, i imagine kids would love it?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Infinitum posted:

lol the new Terraforming Mars Ares KS wants $45usd for 148 little metal cubes as an add-on.

Anachrony wanted $25 for 80 but those were at least textured

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
You know you can just get on The Game Crafter and buy cubes in bulk, right? :D

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Good ol' Stronghold Games squeezing as much money as they can.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Liquid Communism posted:

You know you can just get on The Game Crafter and buy cubes in bulk, right? :D
This is a good way to win many board games, too. Just keep those cubes in your pocket.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

This is a good way to win many board games, too. Just keep those cubes in your pocket.
johnny twentyfivecubes

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Infinitum posted:

Maybe they shouldn’t have ordered the 100% gold and silver cubes, seems like a mistake.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Seb McKinnon does cool art, so if you want some of it on your wall/playmat, here's a KS for it: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/help-seb-make-movie/seb-mckinnon-magic-the-gathering-playmats-limited-edition-4

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Last day for Our Shores!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sandypuggames/our-shores-an-rpgsea-compilation

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Hell yeah, why not. I always wanted to play the Tmnt game back in the day, so this will be an interesting read.

Antivehicular posted:

A version of the Palladium BIO-E games I can actually run? Completely sold, at the "community creature" level, because why not.

EverettLO posted:

This is perfect, right down to the comic book, ink heavy art in the Palladium style. I've been looking for this game for a few years now.

I want to highlight the TG community here for giving this a huge push on its first day! It's been tremendous to see and I want to thank everybody for making this seem far more... possible than when my finger hovered over the launch button? It's been amazing to see.

Thanks so much, goons. Gettin' to work.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tknyarlathotep/every-god-will-fall-for-mork-borg

my new morkus borkus is up

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tedalspach/castles-of-mad-king-ludwig-collectors-edition

17hr warning on Castles of Mad King Ludwig.

Backed it for a buck, hoping they may raise the production quality of a few components post campaign

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
My delivery for Blacklist Miniatures: Fantasy Series 1 arrived. The stretch goal box is 3 times the size of the base box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJzQ2WJKE5U is an unboxing video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uge6FP98tY is a video of someone who painted them.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 19, 2021

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Comstar posted:

stench goal box

I've gotten some of those, you never know what they are doing in these factories

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Feb 23 looking busy. Tiny Epic Dungeons launching alongside Root Marauders
Looks like it will have minis as well.

https://twitter.com/Gamelyn_Games/status/1362160250426646529

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gxAz_vcSAo

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

StarkRavingMad posted:

I've gotten some of those, you never know what they are doing in these factories

I have read that I need to...wash them or something? Something about the resin used? Can someone explain that and tell me what I need to do before painting?

Pics of the boxes and figures in the box on my blog now.

The big ones:

I am disappointed the Ogre does not have an onion around his neck. Because Ogre's need to have layers.

Season 2 is coming to kickstarter next month. It includes a Mimic.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Feb 19, 2021

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Comstar posted:

My delivery for Blacklist Miniatures: Fantasy Series 1 arrived. The stretch goal box is 3 times the size of the base box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJzQ2WJKE5U is an unboxing video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uge6FP98tY is a video of someone who painted them.
Good thing I bought 2 sets. :shepface:

(for real though, that's an insane value and I'm also buying the 2nd series with the Lasting Tales co-op tabletop rules when they launch soon)

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Comstar posted:

My delivery for Blacklist Miniatures: Fantasy Series 1 arrived.

What region of the world are you in, if you don't mind me asking? I'm trying to gauge how impatient I need to be for mine.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Comstar posted:

I have read that I need to...wash them or something? Something about the resin used? Can someone explain that and tell me what I need to do before painting?

Pics of the boxes and figures in the box on my blog now.

The big ones:

I am disappointed the Ogre does not have an onion around his neck. Because Ogre's need to have layers.

Season 2 is coming to kickstarter next month. It includes a Mimic.

Resin miniatures typically need to be washed before being painted. I believe those are PVC plastic so you won't need to wash them, but you still can if you like. Looks to me like all you need to do is remove mold lines, prime them, and you're ready to go.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

You should wash all your miniatures because every casting method uses some kind of mold release.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Cat Face Joe posted:

You should wash all your miniatures because every casting method uses some kind of mold release.

Nah, it's completely unnecessary for materials other than resin (maybe metal? I don't deal with it much).

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
It depends on the release and the way they're handled at the factory. Most plastics will be fine but you still get some that're gunky so it never hurts.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

spectralent posted:

It depends on the release and the way they're handled at the factory. Most plastics will be fine but you still get some that're gunky so it never hurts.

Which companies do plastic like that? With resin if you don't wash it, or wash it poorly, primer will bead up and glue won't stick so it's immediately obvious something isn't right. I've never had any problems, or heard of anyone having any problems like that with plastic. PVC in particular is often designed for a broad audience of people who aren't necessarily big mini nerds so you'd thing they'd want to avoid that sort of issue.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Looks like it will be a while before they get to the US. Last update was they had to wait until after CNY to even secure containers for shipping them out.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

The Moon Monster posted:

PVC in particular is often designed for a broad audience of people who aren't necessarily big mini nerds so you'd thing they'd want to avoid that sort of issue.

The original Bones are PVC and notoriously hydrophobic especially if you didn't wash them first.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I never wash my minis and it's always fine with two exceptions: bones and whatever resin I get from Forge World. I've never had an adhesion problem with metals, plastics, or resins from other projects/manufacturers.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Also, I guarantee the factory goons are not going to care if they get oil or hydraulic fluid on the mould when they are changing them. You might even get lucky and get some of the first shots that still have detergent on them if they actually cared to clean the oil off after milling!

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

The Moon Monster posted:

Which companies do plastic like that? With resin if you don't wash it, or wash it poorly, primer will bead up and glue won't stick so it's immediately obvious something isn't right. I've never had any problems, or heard of anyone having any problems like that with plastic. PVC in particular is often designed for a broad audience of people who aren't necessarily big mini nerds so you'd thing they'd want to avoid that sort of issue.

I've had some WGA figures with something oily-seeming on them; I think their old germans? It's been ages. I don't usually wash plastic sprues, but it's definitely the case sometimes it matters and I'm not aware of any plastic where it hurts.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

rydiafan posted:

What region of the world are you in, if you don't mind me asking? I'm trying to gauge how impatient I need to be for mine.

Australia. And there's a 2nd order (that I kinda ordered bu mistake when paying for shipping) that's arriving next week.

Having 2 boxes will mean I can do units of 10 in Oathmark for things like the Goblins, Orcs, skeletons, zombies and wolves. And a 2nd Dragon will be handy if those random events when two separate Dragons show up out of nowhere and decide they're going to join each side out of nowhere. And having a 2nd troll, ogre and giant. And Elementals.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Any of you find anything interesting from this year's zinequest?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I went in for all of the Polymorph ones. Very Good Dogs of Chernobyl and Rebel Scum both looked fun, so I grabbed Savage Sisters and Mazes, too. Also jumped in on Back Again from the Broken Land and Monsters in the Now, since both really caught my fancy.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I've backed... way too many Zinequest projects. Back Again from the Broken Land, Mutants in the Now, The House of the Hollow, Hope is Not A Plan, Contorta, Menagerie of the Void, Meguey Baker's sewing manual, Hibernation Games, Bloodstained Hands, A Complicated Profession, definitely some more I'm forgetting...

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The ones I've backed so far are these 5.

Wandering Steel

quote:

Doval Robotics claimed that abandoning its headquarters on the island of Korvorak was a strategic cost cutting measure. When asked to comment on the armed coast guards preventing entry to the island, a spokesperson assured the assembled press that they were a public good, a safety measure. Somebody could get hurt exploring unmaintained facilities.

In Wandering Steel, players take on the role of beings that survived or were created by the ELDRIS disaster, a man-made catastrophe that ravaged Korvorak, warping machine and organic life alike. Hidden from the rest of the world, it’s up to them to survive the strange threats that have arisen from the corporate rubble and find new meaning. Whether that means salvaging old work, escape, vengeance, or something else.

Mimic Madness

quote:

Mimic Madness is a role-playing game where you act as a shape-changing animal called a 'mimic'. You can leave the bravery, heroism, and all that other fantasy hero stuff at home! Created with the award-winning polymorph rules system, Mimic Madness encourages you to run, hide, sneak, avoid, scurry, dodge, or tip-toe around an enemy, then jump them when they aren't looking. A brave mimic is a dead mimic after all, so morph into a chair and try to eat anything that sits on you before you are discovered.

Stealing the Throne

quote:

A thousand years ago, we built twelve giant mecha to fight a cataclysmic war. We called them Thrones. Ten survived that great war: ancient weapons with storied histories of battle and betrayal, but also symbols of dominance and entitlement. Possession of a Throne bestows wealth, power, and dominion over whole star systems.

That's why you're going to steal one.

Stealing the Throne is a tabletop roleplaying game of exciting mecha heist action for 3-5 players. It’s GMless, and requires absolutely zero prep to play. In just a few hours you’ll build a Throne, a titanic mech with a thousand years of drama-filled history. You’ll devise the elaborate security systems that protect it, and then play to find out how your crew of thieves take them apart.

Raccoon Sky Pirates

quote:

Raccoon Sky Pirates is a narrative, GM-less tabletop role-playing game for 3 to 6 players that takes about three hours to play. Take to the skies, loot a suburban home of all the trash you can carry, and escape into the night, while trying to keep your ship from self-destructing.

You and your friends play raccoons: chittering, baggy-pants, ring-tailed burglars. One day, you invent an improbable antigravity device. Together, you hatch a scheme to build a ship out of trash and fly to the suburbs in search of better trash.

There, you'll find a beautiful, free-standing house with a four-car garage and cable internet. While trying not to wake up the residents or the dog, you'll loot the house of all its valuables, like Roombas, PlayStations and other trash. Finally, loaded down, you'll escape back to the junkyard while fending off the Neighborhood Watch.

Flying a ship takes coordination and discipline. Unfortunately, you're a bunch of raccoons.

Science Knight

quote:

In a far off world, the heat death of the universe loomed ever closer and humans grew desperate. As a last gamble, they sent an intrepid crew to another universe to find answers. It was a risky gamble, but it paid off, and the heroes of that event became the first Science Knights.

The world saved, the Science Knights took to exploring other worlds in order to help them and to improve themselves. In the Science Knight RPG, you will play as one of the latest group of Science Knights, traveling to an unknown world for bizarre adventure and transgressive knowledge.

As a Science Knight, you are very powerful and able to deal with a lot of direct threats. This isn’t a story of overcoming great odds, but figuring out how to parse complex systems of politics and magic and thus gain a greater understanding of the world. There are some dangers that are a threat even to the great Science Knights, but also social dilemmas and expectations back home will provide tension.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

Mothership content!

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW
Zine Quest has been pretty amazing this year. I've backed Crescent Moon ("an adventure RPG about brave children and their dreams, shadows, and discoveries"), SKÜLLBOX ("Take on the role of sentient, punk skulls who need to use psychotic traps and weird contraband to keep wanna-be heroes from taking their stuff"), and Dethroners ("As the Renegades score major triumphs, they literally tear pages out of the rulebook, claiming the Divinity's powers for themselves") so far. Pandatheist's tracker blog has been real helpful for letting me know what's available.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I backed a Troika setting, a reworking of how Pure Strain Humans work in Mutant Crawl Classics and a bundle of the Through Ultan's Door dream fantasy OSR adventures.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

FirstAidKite posted:

Since my group tends more toward traditional board games and I don't think anyone I know would really zinequest with me, I tended more toward solo dungeon crawl or journaling type things. But there's a lot of interesting stuff in that space!

Lay On Hands: You wander the post-apocalyptic wasteland as a talented healer. The kicker here is the resolution system -- instead of rolling dice for success, you spin a coin and try to complete sections of a drawing mini-game before it comes to a stop.

Superstition: "You are an oracle, a greenseer and a fraud. You don't believe in rituals, but create them to give your community hope. You know nothing you do will affect whether a season is bountiful or not, whether nature will be kind to your clan or not. But you must convince your chieftain that your rituals are worthy, and offer your community hope. If not, you may be exiled or worse." Played with a normal deck of cards.

Apothecaria: "Apothecaria is a solo journalling RPG in which you take the role of a village witch creating potions for the unfortunate villagers, adventurers, and monsters that come to you for help." Sounds pretty detailed, says there are nine different locations with random encounters to search for ingredients, seasons affect the ingredients, there is a relationship system with NPCs in the village, etc.

Hibernation Games: A collection of 5 solo zines, including The Thaw (you are the last guardian of a tribe, preparing to fight the ancient enemy that will soon emerge from the ice), Life of a Spell Scroll (exactly as it sounds), I Love You, Alive Girl (trying to communicate with your love in the dystopian future by hiding comments in ad reviews without being caught by the AI algorithm), Drawing Dead (you are the Dealer, dealing hands of pokers to four souls on their way to the afterlife), and maybe my favorite, Gelatinous Cube ("You are an adventurer slowly being harmlessly digested in a gelatinous cube, seeing and interacting with the adventurers coming in and out of this dungeon.")

The Lighthouse At The End of the Universe: You are the solitary keeper of the Lighthouse at the end of the universe, to keep spaceships from falling off the edge. "The Lighthouse is a solo journalling game best played at nighttime before bed or for when you can't sleep. The Lighthouse is about running a lighthouse in space. It is played with a dice, a coin and pack of cards. Roll the dice and flip a card to get a prompt. Flip a coin to see how you go about the task." "Each logbook entry begins with your observations of the weather. You and the lighthouse are at the mercy of the weather at the edge and so mishaps are very likely to happen. Maybe you'll need to fix something, replace a panel, clean up a breakage, refill the tea in your flask. The oil in the lamp will need refilling through the night and the wick may need to be tended to. Once you've done that, sit down and take some time to Observe those passing by from the lighthouse's balcony." I thought this one sounded really chill.

12 Years: Hexploring and Dungeon Delving, solo or multiplayer. "You have 12 years until the Lich King burns the known world. Can you or anyone you know complete the coronation ritual and appease him? Better yet, destroy him once and for all?" Seems kind of solo Xcom-ish in a way as you can have parties and heroes die off and keep the game going until your 12 years runs out.

Where Mystery Dwells: Solo or two player catacomb crawl "through a candlelit world of stone and bones beneath a fantastical-industrial city." "you play a troupe of apprentices balancing their own survival and sanity against the need to curry favor with their patron. It also has system-agnostic tools for procedurally generating vaguely disturbing catacombs, creating the colorful city, and populating both with a cast of empathetic and engaging characters."

Who knows if any of this will be any good, but most of them were like five or ten bucks so even if I just read the thing and go "huh, neat" I probably got my money's worth.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Thanks for this list, some of these really turn my crank but I missed on backing some of them. Thanks for sharing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Was there a website with a compiled list of all those Zinequest KS's? I'd imagine it would be difficult to keep track of any that you might be interested in when they're releasing like 10 a day.