Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I prepped myself for initial COVID levels of panic shopping, but honestly my HEB trip just now was a normal shopping experience except for the lack of water and dairy. Things should be back to normal by Tuesday/Wednesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
I can't believe how glad I am to have the stupid sweltering texas weather back again

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

BoosterDuck posted:

I can't believe how glad I am to have the stupid sweltering texas weather back again

It really helps when you/your home is built for it

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Democratic Pirate posted:

I prepped myself for initial COVID levels of panic shopping, but honestly my HEB trip just now was a normal shopping experience except for the lack of water and dairy. Things should be back to normal by Tuesday/Wednesday.

yea just hit my own HEB, some gaps that were annoying (no bread except dumb poo poo like cinnamon and raison, I can't make a drat panini out of that :argh:) but I got 90% of what I needed except for milk.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I've thought about Texas as a possible place to move if/when I change jobs, but drat if this entire saga hasn't made me terrified at the prospect, knowing that absolutely nothing will be done to fix the state-crippling climate vulnerabilities to your infrastructure, assuming they don't just skip past doing nothing strait into actively making everything worse by removing even more regulation and oversight.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sanguinia posted:

I've thought about Texas as a possible place to move if/when I change jobs, but drat if this entire saga hasn't made me terrified at the prospect, knowing that absolutely nothing will be done to fix the state-crippling climate vulnerabilities to your infrastructure, assuming they don't just skip past doing nothing strait into actively making everything worse by removing even more regulation and oversight.

I mean I don't disagree that this was a terrifying reveal of a major failing but buddy if 'not ready for climate change hard realities' is your bar you ain't movin anywhere.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

sexpig by night posted:

I mean I don't disagree that this was a terrifying reveal of a major failing but buddy if 'not ready for climate change hard realities' is your bar you ain't movin anywhere.

I mean, some places might do something to prepare before its too late. Didn't your Lt. Governor say that the obvious solution to this disaster is to remove the state's main regulatory body? That makes me kind of not confident Texas is going to be in the "do something," category.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Sanguinia posted:

I mean, some places might do something to prepare before its too late. Didn't your Lt. Governor say that the obvious solution to this disaster is to remove the state's main regulatory body? That makes me kind of not confident Texas is going to be in the "do something," category.

This is an accurate assessment.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sanguinia posted:

The same Lieutenant Governor also openly preached that lockdown should be revoked and the elderly should just be glad to die as a sacrifice to keep the economy going.

This is not a well state.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Our ex-governor also said that Texans would happily go even longer than three days without power in order to keep the federal regulators off our backs

He got reelected three times and he wasn't any better of a person back then

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
And before that the governor invaded Iraq and killed like 100 thousand people. Texas is not a nice place.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

And before that the governor invaded Iraq and killed like 100 thousand people. Texas is not a nice place.

Hey you don't have to tell me, I got to teach my students your origin story of Slavers Move Into Mexico And Then Steal It For Themselves a couple weeks ago.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Sanguinia posted:

Hey you don't have to tell me, I got to teach my students your origin story of Slavers Move Into Mexico And Then Steal It For Themselves a couple weeks ago.

I have reported your historical slander to the Texas Board of Education

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Was Ann Richards bad or was she too good and was punished by being a one termer.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Sanguinia posted:

I had state-mandated Texas History courses in 4th and 7th grade at magnet schools and I still didn't learn that slavery was the driver of the Texian Rebellion until I was 30. Even after I started questioning the politics I grew up with and veered left I just never thought about it until someone mentioned it, and then I was like "Oh, that makes perfect sense, I should have realized."

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Jim Bowie made his fortune smuggling slaves with a pirate and doing slave scams on the federal government.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

hatty posted:

Was Ann Richards bad or was she too good and was punished by being a one termer.

Both I think

Big on welfare reform and tough on crime but not an idiot fratboy blueblood talking down to us with a fake accent, so still too good for Texas

Texas Democrats Fighting Back On Crime, Welfare, Family Issues

quote:

Wesley's Democratic loyalties have begun to fray too, like many of the voters in the towns on Interstate 20. Across East Texas, from the working-class apartments in Woodville to the country club in Palestine, across racial, partisan and class lines, voters and local leaders are increasingly anxious and angry about two central issues, crime and welfare, and the rising tide of out-of-wedlock births. For years, such concerns pushed people into the arms of a welcoming Republican Party and its candidates. More recently, however, Democrats have gained rough parity with the GOP on issues of crime, welfare and family. Here in Texas, these issues are becoming part of a battle royal between Democratic Gov. Ann Richards and her Republican challenger, George W. Bush, son of the former president. Richards proudly boasts of a tough parole policy that "has cut prison release by 45 percent since 1990," and cut to 29 percent the rate of parole requests approved, "the lowest level in a decade ... (and) doubled the minimum sentence for violent offenders." Calling Richards's bet and raising her, Bush countered that he intends "to deny parole totally for the most heinous offenses, like rapists, child molesters, and other sex offenders." Richards: Juvenile offenders will do "real time for real crimes." Bush: "We must have a new approach that tells youthful offenders that crime leads to punishment -- tough punishment."

On welfare, Richards boasts of a record of "bureaucracy busting" in which one of her "first actions was to clean up the mess at the Department of Human Services." Bush charges that Richards has initiated no major welfare reforms along the lines of those in New Jersey, Wisconsin or California. Bush describes as a centerpiece of his bid for the governorship a tough set of welfare proposals, including ending the $ 38-a-month increase for each additional child for those on welfare, requiring identification of fathers, and limiting benefits to two years, except for families with children under 3, and those physically or mentally incapacitated. In a reflection of the hard edge of the politics of welfare and crime, Bush aides were privately delighted with what they saw as a "bleeding heart" response when a Richards spokesman said about the Bush proposals: "I'm not sure that punishing a newborn child is any kind of solution."

also lol

quote:

In the 1993 New Jersey gubernatorial election, black turnout was way below expectations, and some strategists believe the downturn was a response to defeated Gov. Jim Florio's attempts to use tough welfare policies as a way to win white votes.

The Democrats: "weird our 'gently caress you and die' campaign does not seem to be exciting the black vote"

E: oh my god aahahhahaha this article is gold

quote:

"Crime is centrally linked to the breakdown of family," said Stan Greenberg, pollster for President Clinton and the Democratic National Committee. "It's very different from the old law-and-order days, when it was a surrogate issue (reflecting opposition to) civil rights.
:discourse:

E2: :aaa: holy loving god this was a Democratic judge

quote:

For District Judge Bascom Bentley, a Democrat in Anderson County, the linkages among crime, welfare and family stand out like a neon sign on a dirt road. "Illegitimacy is killing us," he said. "We need a welfare system that takes care of the retarded, the physically infirm, and whatever, but when 16-, 17-year-old girls become mothers, it is going to be hard. Why take a 16-year-old mother and make her better off than a 24-year-old mother that's married and struggling? ... I don't want to make it easy for 16- or 17-year-olds to have children out of wedlock. I want shotgun weddings. I want the daddy up there with Poppa, and, 'You did it, you marry her and you support her.' " In the case of crime, Bentley said, "No one is afraid of prison... . Because someone is a felon or has a criminal record, there is no social stigma to that anymore. People need to be embarrassed from time to time when they do wrong."

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 22, 2021

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

We have 100% shifted from saving for a down payment to researching other cities and states to move to within the next five years. It is possible that Texas will surprise us in the intervening time (and we'll remain politically active trying to make that happen) but we aren't exactly holding our breath.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

We have 100% shifted from saving for a down payment to researching other cities and states to move to within the next five years. It is possible that Texas will surprise us in the intervening time (and we'll remain politically active trying to make that happen) but we aren't exactly holding our breath.

The wife and I bought a house in early February of 2020. WIthin a month a global pandemic happened and Abott began showing his rear end, and Houston lost an 8' water main shutting off water to the city and creating a boil notice for 3-4 full days.

Then the rest of the year happened.

So we're looking at houses in Minnesota to move in the next few years, because there when it snows 1.5 inches we don't lose power for 2 days and have our water system shut down for a week.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Abbott began showing his rear end?

His first year he called out the state guard based on a conspiracy theory that routine military exercises were a federal plot to conquer Texas and ship all white people to FEMA buttfucking camps

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

His first year he called out the state guard based on a conspiracy theory that routine military exercises were a federal plot to conquer Texas and ship all white people to FEMA buttfucking camps

And it would have worked too if it weren't for all those meddling politicians! :bahgawd:

e: Seeing all these things written out in a row really makes you realize how much you internalize to a shoulder shrug.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

In theory it'd be pretty simple to prepare for this happening again, but in practice, they probably won't because the Republicans in the state government have no reason to go through the effort because their seats are safe and they prefer pillaging.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I had state-mandated Texas History courses in 4th and 7th grade at magnet schools and I still didn't learn that slavery was the driver of the Texian Rebellion until I was 30. Even after I started questioning the politics I grew up with and veered left I just never thought about it until someone mentioned it, and then I was like "Oh, that makes perfect sense, I should have realized."

I wouldn't call slavery the only driver, because if you look at the Mexican side of things, Santa Anna was trying to do some forcible consolidation of the entire country and stamping down on a lot of local regional practices, and Texas wasn't the only province that went into rebellion, even though it was the most successful. Texas's later territorial ambitions probably would've been a lot more awkward if the Republic of the Rio Grande successfully won its independence as well.

But yes, slavery was high up on the list of Texas's specific regional practices.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 22, 2021

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Sanguinia posted:

I lived in Texas from 8th grade til last fall, and I liked an awful lot of things about Texas. But they utterly exhausted my ability to put up with red state government.

FBS fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 22, 2021

Bellum
Jun 3, 2011

All war is deception.
I’ve lived in the South my whole life.

I’ve lived in Texas for five years. I know absolutely nothing will be done about this situation. Yet it seems like a very stark line that’s been crossed. I have no choice but to move away. This will inevitably happen again. Like this isn’t something you can work around, it’s not something you can totally prepare for. Texas apparently came very close to a catastrophic situation where the grid would be down for MONTHS.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/02/18/texas-power-outages-ercot/

If that scenario had happened, what...I can’t even imagine. What do people do without power for months? Just become refugees? Would I just abandon my house and move away?

Like, to stay here is a bad bad bad idea. This is corruption on a whole other level and it’s not fixable short of a total rewrite of this States constitution. This isn’t just some natural disaster.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I’m 99% sure I’m a Texas lifer, but this was definitely a week that got me thinking about where I’d go if I were to up and leave. I then realized I had no idea where I’d want to move. The only things that come to mind are popular cities that are already crowded and have downsides as well. Just..not “almost have a cataclysmic shutdown of society after 1 bad cold snap” downside..

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I will say despite me being glib before this (mainly the 'I was out of communication with my long distance fiancée for multiple days during a horrific weather event' element) has sped up my fiancée and my planning for me to join him in Kentucky, and it does feel like if I'm fleeing a state for the comfort of Kentucky the state has hosed up in a fascinating and new way.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Democratic Pirate posted:

I’m 99% sure I’m a Texas lifer, but this was definitely a week that got me thinking about where I’d go if I were to up and leave. I then realized I had no idea where I’d want to move. The only things that come to mind are popular cities that are already crowded and have downsides as well. Just..not “almost have a cataclysmic shutdown of society after 1 bad cold snap” downside..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gLvwUu-BI0

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

About the pandemic*

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

hatty posted:

Not great, but better than what came after.

Also consider that even in 1990, Richards winning was probably only possible because her dumbass Republican opponent Clayton Williams made a crass joke about rape, and then bragged about not paying taxes. I guess back then there were still some consequences for that kind of thing.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

IT BURNS posted:

The early bird gets the essentials. The line for dairy products at HEB this morning at 7:15 was about 50-75 people deep, but pretty calm and orderly. I'd say most people got what they wanted and I even scored some bacon, too. Unleaded gas is back for most stations, I think.

I went to kroger when I woke up at like 9pm. Place was mostly empty and decently stocked. You're hosed for frozen pizzas that aren't like $8 though. Plenty eggs and nut milks. Bread aisle swept entirely clean with the tortilla section almost untouched of course.

As for the fleeing Texas crew; You do realize that literally the entire country is hosed right? I know a lot of it is just venting, but you're not very likely to find fun times and salvation pretty much anywhere unless you're 7+ figure club. In which case why the gently caress are you living down here and not somewhere far nicer lmfao.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm honestly surprised that a rape joke sunk a candidate, what a different world

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Are there any places left that have a "small/medium size affordable city but with offbeat culture and interesting-people" vibe that Austin had in the early or mid '90s? Preferably someplace with decent weather, and where you can buy a livable house for $250k?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Hell, I love Wisconsin. Only have good memories from visits there.

I’ve only been to the state in July. I think the winters up ther would kill me. At least Texas was back to 70 degrees 3 days after trying to freeze us to death.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

VitalSigns posted:

*snipped for posting brevity*

None of this should be shocking lol. Here, have the NYT talking about how Charles loving Murray and some other even more Literal Nazi dipshit are just controversial firebrands who should be listened to about the blacks. Establishment dems are just republicans with a slightly different cultural affect, and we just elected one who was quoting half remembered Bell Curve poo poo during the presidential primary about how black kids just need to hear real people speaking on the gramophone if we want them to not be criminals.

https://www.nytimes.com/1994/10/16/books/what-is-intelligence-and-who-has-it.html

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 22, 2021

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
San Antonio is the city of the hearts desire

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

TropicalCoke posted:

San Antonio is the city of the hearts desire

Corpus Christi is the place to be...no, don't ask why half the city has been completely and utterly abandon to rot. NOTHING HAPPENED, ALL IS WELL!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If I had a good way to leave and go somewhere else and not be totally isolated and lonely, I probably would've done it by now, but I'm stuck here.

Marxalot posted:

As for the fleeing Texas crew; You do realize that literally the entire country is hosed right? I know a lot of it is just venting, but you're not very likely to find fun times and salvation pretty much anywhere unless you're 7+ figure club. In which case why the gently caress are you living down here and not somewhere far nicer lmfao.

In the rest of the country there's better odds on getting your voice heard in government, and there's not the same level of total injurious moral bankrupcy. There's all these public services and preparation for harsh winter storms so that the entire power grid won't get fried for months on end, that's not a thing that can happen*. If you're just doomposting about like housing and the economy and climate change then whatever, but this was a specific disaster that couldn't actually happen without Texas's unique brand of idiocy.

*There are plenty of power outages throughout the rest of the US, and in places where it regularly snows, the weather will more regularly shut down business, but you will be more prepared and the government will actually be ready to help people.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

There are plenty of power outages throughout the rest of the US, and in places where it regularly snows, the weather will more regularly shut down business, but you will be more prepared and the government will actually be ready to help people.

Yep.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah the problem isn’t just that deregulation and refusals to winterize turned a problem into A HUGE loving PROBLEM, it’s that the government was either hosed up, loving up, or was completely absent. To that end I really, really lost faith in Texas government. Not that I had much to start, but in what circumstances would Texas present good governance? We blamed loving wind energy for a failure in the supply chain of natural gas. Like, how does it get better when they learned nothing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellum
Jun 3, 2011

All war is deception.
I have a newborn. These people tried to murder the life I brought into the world by cutting my power without warning in the middle of the night and then keeping it off for days. I had to go out in the treacherous ice and freezing temps with my baby to get him to a friends house with power.

Other people actually lost their kids in all this.

we can’t just memory hole this situation away now that the temperature is normal again