Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Kalsco posted:

I made this (forgetting to add the malted milk powder and espresso) tonight and let me tell you, this is the chocolate chip cookie recipe I've been wanting to find. The rye flour makes a stupid amount of difference in the final product. Thank you! Will add malted milk and espresso later.

You're welcome!

The only other chocolate chip recipe i will make is this one:
https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/chocolate-chip-cookies-recipe

The secret ingredient is vinegar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Brought into work today, everyone in my department said nothing but the whole lab loved them and everyone there said as such 😎

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Made my first pie! :yayclod:

Recipe is from Sally’s Baking Addiction (https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/the-great-pumpkin-pie-recipe/), as is the recipe for the crust. I didn’t account for needing more crust in a 9 inch square pan versus a circular one :v:

nightchild12
Jan 8, 2005
hi i'm sexy

I finally finished my last batch of cookies (rolled sugar cookies), so I decided I'd move on to my next challenge: drop sugar cookies. I know, I know, an incredibly bold and adventurous decision, please hold on to your excitement. I've also heard that baking is science, so I figured I'd do an experiment at the same time.

The recipe I'm using is Soft and Chewy Sugar Cookies from Joy of Cooking (2019 edition). It's pretty basic and straightforward, practically identical to the rolled cookies recipe except it has more sugar and less butter, altering the texture (ratios!). The recipe calls for:
1 egg (~56 grams)
170 grams butter
250 grams sugar
315 grams AP flour
2 tsp vanilla
1.5 tsp baking powder (~6g according to my scale)
3/4 tsp salt (~6g according to my scale)

So first things first, let's get everything we need together.
1) Arrange ingredients and tools in aesthetically pleasing way

You may notice the Unflavored Whey Protein powder, it's there for science reasons.

2) Wait for butter, flour, and egg to come up to room temperature. I find the non-contact thermometer helpful here. I use it to monitor temperature for practically everything I do in the kitchen.

3) Put ingredients in bowls

I use three bowls for now: one for the wet ingredients (170g butter + 250g sugar at this point); one for half of the dry ingredients as the recipe states (157g AP flour, 3/4 tsp baking powder, 3/8 tsp salt); and one for the experimental ingredients (107g AP flour, 50g whey protein, 3/4 tsp baking powder, 3/8 tsp salt). The idea is that I'll split the wet ingredients evenly between the two dry ingredient bowls and make as few changes to the recipe as possible so I can see what difference replacing about 1/3 of the flour with whey protein makes. The 1/3 ratio is something I found in a few places online while doing research.

4) Whisk dry ingredients together to combine

I whisk the baseline bowl (white) first, so that I don't contaminate the baseline recipe with any experimental ingredients.

4) Cream together butter and sugar.

This went much smoother than last time. I let the butter warm up / soften a bit more and used a smaller bowl to cream it in.

5) Beat in vanilla and egg to butter and sugar mixture.

6) Split wet ingredients into two even portions

I should have weighed the bowl first so I could have just taken half out of it, but I didn't so I had to transfer it all to another bowl to weigh, then transfer half back to the original bowl. It wound up being 229 grams each. The astute reader may notice that I switched spatulas at this point, because (and this was shocking to discover) using the correct tool for the job makes everything a lot easier.

7) Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix

This went well with the baseline.

The experimental half went less well.

It would not combine, not enough liquid. I had read online that baking with whey requires you to add moisture, and this confirms. I added 28 grams of room-temperature water and resumed mixing and it came together.

The texture is quite different from the baseline half at this point, much wetter and less stiff. I worried at the time that I had added too much water, but that did not turn out to be the case.

8) Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Put dough in fridge to chill for a bit while you wait.
I wound up leaving the dough in the fridge for about 40 minutes. When I took it out it was hardened and easy to work with. The experimental half was no longer wetter or less stiff.
I also washed everything I had dirtied that I did not need to use further.

9) Scoop out cookies on to baking sheet lined with parchment and press down.
I used a #40 scoop, completely filled, and scraped the top of the knife for consistency.
I also used this very high tech custom-made tool to press the cookies down:

It's a jar. The ramekin has flour in it. It works great.

Baseline cookies ready to be baked (made 15 + a little extra):

Experimental cookies ready to be baked (made 17 + a little extra):

The baseline dough remained easy to work all the way through. The experimental dough got soft and harder to work with near the end as it warmed up more. Using the scoop and floured jar was much easier than trying to cut rolled cookies was, though.

10) Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through.
11) Let sit for 2 minutes, then move to cooling rack to finish cooling

Baseline cookies fresh from the oven:

Experimental cookies fresh from the oven:

You can see that the baseline cookies turned out quite nicely (and as expected), while the experimental cookies spread quite a bit more and also rose quite a bit more (and in a distinctive "dome" shape).

The experimental cookies also browned quite a bit more, and I would even call them a bit burned on the bottom:

Some closer comparison shots between baseline and experimental:

The baseline cookies have the taste and texture I expect. They're very sweet and taste of vanilla. They have a bit of crunch around the outside edge, and are soft and chewy on the inside.

By contrast, flavor-wise the experimental cookies have a less pronounced vanilla flavor and have a mild milky flavor - it is not unpleasant, and I have no real complaints about the way they taste. There is a slight bitterness that I am attributing to how cooked they are on the bottom.

The experimental cookies' texture is not real great. They are less dense. They are, similarly to the baseline batch, a bit crunchy around the edge and softer in the middle. They are less soft in the middle than the baseline batch due to how browned they are on the bottom. They are a bit chewy but quite dry, which detracts from the chewyness (and the overall experience). They are more cake or bread-like in texture than cookie-like. You can also see that several (including the one I cut in half for comparison) have large air bubbles inside.

Both batches are good enough that I intend to eat them all - no need to throw away the "differently successful" experimental batch.

During my research I came across suggestions that baked goods with whey protein should be cooked at lower temperatures - this may help with how browned they got. I think they also need a better solution for adding moisture than just adding some extra water while mixing. I'm not sure what might help with the cakey texture. The air bubbles are reminiscent of what happens when you overmix muffins, so possibly I overmixed due to not having enough moisture to start with. All potentially interesting areas for further experimentation in the future, when I've finished eating this batch.

Suggestions for things to try would be appreciated.

And the nutritional info macros for each (I'll spare you the detailed spreadsheet I made):
Baseline: 15 cookies, ~23 grams each; 143 Calories, 4.5g Fat (2.8g Saturated), 24.7g Carb (16.7g Sugar, 0.3g Fiber), 1.2g Protein
Experimental: 17 cookies, ~21 grams each; 126 Calories, 4.2g Fat (2.6g Saturated), 19.7g Carb (14.9g Sugar, 0.2g Fiber), 3.0g Protein

In my opinion, not enough difference in nutritional values to be worth the drop in quality from substituting ~1/3 of the AP flour with Unflavored Whey Protein Isolate powder.

I have been unable to find any detailed information regarding baking with Whey Protein. What changes does it make to taste and texture, and why? There are about 3 sentences on it in How Baking Works by Paula Figoni, which suggest that it acts similarly to powdered milk, and that's the best source I've been able to find so far. I will keep the thread updated with what I learn, if anyone else is interested.

Science! :science:

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
When you substitute some of the gluten in something with something else that doesn’t provide structure, the end result is going to be similar to using cake flour instead of all purpose. The burning is probably the Maillard reaction occurring due to the lactose which occurs at lower temperatures than some other sugars.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022030205728356

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I baked a pie today cuz I've had a loving headache for the past 2 weeks and needed to treat myself and feel productive.

Just a basic apple pie with a lazily made streusel-ish topping. Still letting it cool, but I'm sure it'll be loving delicious. Put a lil vanilla extract and lemon zest in the crust

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Not sure if this is the best place to ask it, but also not sure where else, but I'm looking to ID a pastry I had a couple of times at a bakery near work back in the before times when we'd actually go to the office. It was pretty simple, layers of (I think) sweet, puff pastry with a kind of caramelized bottom. Think the shape was either sqaure or triangular. I don't believe there was even any filling, but it was still delicious and I'd maybe like to try my hand at making it at home. It had a French name, if I'm remembering correctly, so maybe it was a traditional thing.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

kouign amann?

https://www.google.com/search?q=kou...0QAQ&biw=412&bi

They are delicious and if you can make crossiant dough you can make them.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Thumposaurus posted:

kouign amann?

https://www.google.com/search?q=kou...0QAQ&biw=412&bi

They are delicious and if you can make crossiant dough you can make them.

There it is! It looks like it uses almost a pound of butter, which explains a lot...

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I didn't take a picture, because honestly they're not pretty, but man. I love these things: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/04/easter-candy-cookies-recipe.html Obviously, no Easter candy, but made with a mix of hershey's miniatures, mini-heath bars, and reese's cups.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
Those look amazing, I love so many of Stella's recipes. Her no-nonsense approach to macarons won me over when I was obsessed with learning how to make them some years back. I also made the switch to higher-fat cocoa powder because of her. I had used primarily Hershey's for ages, the first time I used something nicer was a true 'holy poo poo' moment. (Not that I'd ever stick my nose up at something made with Hershey's or the like, but the difference in flavor really made an impact.)

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I would like to request a “butter spritz” cookie recipe, possibly made with margarine.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Due to a mix up in my order at the grocery store, I now have about 2 pounds of oatmeal I don't need. I'm not a big fan of oatmeal as a breakfast food, so I have no choice but to make tons of oatmeal cookies. Life is hard, sometimes.

So far I've made the cookies from this recipe:

Suspect Bucket posted:

I FINALLY HAVE IT, MY MOM'S OATMEAL CHOCOLATE MnM COOKIE RECIPE, aka Daddy Cookies, because she made them for Daddy, who very politely allowed us to have some as well.

Oatmeal Granola MnM Chocolate Chip Cookies

which are very tasty, although I think I prefer the texture of whole oats.

I also made these maple brown sugar oatmeal cookies [picture not available], which I really liked as well.

Any other good oatmeal cookies people recommend?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I need that oatmeal mnm recipe

TastesBlue
Jan 15, 2008
Americas test kitchen oatmeal cookies are my families favorite. Super chewy and you can freeze the dough balls and cook a few on demand.

Non-paywalled recipe link:
https://www.splendidtable.org/story/2017/08/02/classic-chewy-oatmeal-cookies

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

toplitzin posted:

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/rye-chocolate-chip-cookies-recipe

I also add a bit of malted milk powder and a good dose of instant espresso.

Going to make these today. Any guesses on measurements for the malted milk powder and instant espresso amounts?

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Wife made the preserved lemon meringue cake from Dessert Person last night. The curd and meringue didn't end up quite stiff enough but it still tasted good, besides, who doesn't like breaking out a torch in the kitchen?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Torching it clearly worked out for the better because that looks gorgeous

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Brain Curry posted:

Going to make these today. Any guesses on measurements for the malted milk powder and instant espresso amounts?

What did your heart say?

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

toplitzin posted:

What did your heart say?

Think I used a packet of instant espresso and 1/4-1/3c of malted milk powder. They were delicious but I think i will add a little more moisture next time.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Strawberry chocolate chip

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I made these brown butter toffee chocolate chip cookies today. Recipe is from BA because I like Rick Martinez even though BA got milkshake ducked real hard in 2020.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/brown-butter-and-toffee-chocolate-chip-cookies

The cookies turned out great if a little buttery. The interesting thing is the browned butter gave the raw dough an incredible toffee flavor before any chocolate or toffee was mixed in, but the baked cookies aren’t especially toffee heavy. If I was blind testing them I’d think they were just solid chocolate chip cookies.

I guess I’ll need to do a browned butter toffee/standard chocolate chip comparison testing in the near future to really see if there’s a difference. Real shame, that.

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

been lurking a little, got inspired to bake today

recipe is:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg

1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup nuts
1/2 tsp salt

i didnt have nuts so i just used white chocolate, my family ate them all immediately

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Rye strawberry chip

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Made these last year too. They turned out a lot better last year... These ones got kinda saggy

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Good brownie recipe anyone? I saw bravetarts recipe on serious eats but people describe it more cakey than fudgie. I need a fudgie brownie.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

nwin posted:

Good brownie recipe anyone? I saw bravetarts recipe on serious eats but people describe it more cakey than fudgie. I need a fudgie brownie.

This is the only brownie recipe I use anymore when I need a chocolate fix. It’s super rich and fudgey https://www.browneyedbaker.com/the-baked-brownie/

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

It’s hard not to default to the Ghirardelli dark chocolate or triple fudge box mixes. They’re so easy and so consistently good.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
One-Bowl Brownies
As adapted from Lifehacker

Ingredients:

10 tablespoons (140 grams) salted butter (OR ONE STICK AND 2 TABLESPOONS IF YOU ARE SCUDWORTH)
¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons (65 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
¼ cup (50 grams) light brown sugar, not packed
A big pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs, cold
½ cup (65 grams) all-purpose flour
1/3 cup mini marshmallows (optional)
1/2 cup mix-ins (leftover trail mix, chocolate chips, etc) (optional)

Directions:

Line your 8x8” pan with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 325ºF. Using a scale or cup measures, get the butter, sugars, cocoa, and salt into a quart-sized microwave-safe vessel.

Microwave for thirty seconds to a minute, or until the butter is completely melted. (If you don’t have a microwave, a makeshift double boiler works great.) Stir until combined (product will be gritty).

Add the vanilla and stir to combine, then add the eggs one at a time, stirring thoroughly and aggressively between each egg. Once the eggs are fully incorporated, add the flour and stir gently until it’s fully incorporated. If using, mix in the mini marshmallows and other mix-ins.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread it around into one even layer. . Bake at 325ºF for around 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean. Let cool.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 22, 2021

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Democratic Pirate posted:

It’s hard not to default to the Ghirardelli dark chocolate or triple fudge box mixes. They’re so easy and so consistently good.

Hell yeah, those are basically a magic "make my wife happy" button for me. Instant turnaround of even the worst of her days.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Bogart posted:

One-Bowl Brownies
As adapted from Lifehacker

Ingredients:

10 tablespoons (140 grams) salted butter
¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons (65 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder

This is amazingly insane because 10 tablespoons is 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons, which is fine for the next ingredient but apparently not for the butter measurement :psyduck:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Scudworth posted:

This is amazingly insane because 10 tablespoons is 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons, which is fine for the next ingredient but apparently not for the butter measurement :psyduck:

In fairness, butter comes in sticks and is most easily measurable by the tablespoon.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Bogart posted:

In fairness, butter comes in sticks and is most easily measurable by the tablespoon.

Each stick is a 1/2 cup. Putting 1 stick+ or 1/2 cup+ still makes way more sense than by tablespoons alone, that is a bananas way to write it out.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

nwin posted:

https://abountifulkitchen.com/cooks-illustrated-chewy-brownies/

These are super good

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Not cookies, but last I checked there wasn't a dedicated pie thread. I baked a pie

mystes
May 31, 2006

I made Ghirardelli's black and white macaroon recipe:

They're like a meringue which is a little bit different from what I normally think macaroons as being but they're pretty good.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

A Macaron is a meringue, the confusion between Macaroons and Macarons is real though.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

A Macaron is a meringue, the confusion between Macaroons and Macarons is real though.
These things have coconut and no almond flour, so I guess they're sort of in between macarons and macaroons; maybe they're Macarocns?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I would like one megaraccoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Huh yeah I just googled the recipe, what a strange idea to further confuse people. Pretty simple for a recipe though if Coconut wasn't awful I might try and make it.