Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Gaius Marius posted:

Witches ain't real my dude.

If your going back to ep.1 I think I've got most of it figured out. I kept thinking why the hell would gods cook up maria's rose. the only conclusion I could come to was that he did it to lure maria into the garden for her meeting with beatrice. If we assume Shannon is playing beatrice and faked her death almost the entire puzzle becomes moot. without red text to confine us, and if we assume if gouda and Shannon are both in in it, we can assume the rest of the servants are as well. half the alibis stop meaning anything and we have four characters walking around with master keys. I had also assumed that there was only one gun on rokkenjina seeing as natsuhi only acquired one. but after ep 3 we know there's at least four. the servants must've taken the rest and used them to kill the people with the storm noises as cover, before staking them. someone left the door open to the furnace room while they cut the phone lines. while they cut the phone lines. The game tried to throw is off suspecting the servants by having natsuhi say she suspects them, but the truth is she was on the money.

This is probably all wrong though because u haven't read that part in months and barely remember it.

I......feel like it is weirder than that. Somehow. But yeah, I’m starting back from square 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Ytlaya posted:

Which character routes have you done? I know which one was the most upsetting for me, but I don't want to comment on one you haven't done yet.

(Chaos;Child) Since that post I actually finished everything, I believe at the point I made that post I had done everyone except Nono. I ended up really liking the story after I finished everything, it was bittersweet but also touching and it stuck with me for quite a while.

Uki's is probably the one that troubled me the most, they really convinced me the whole thing was a dying fantasy of Takuru's so when it turned out it was actually Uki's, combined with the two ways that scenario could end, I was floored and had to put the game down for a day or two.

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."
Chaos;Child: Finished Chapter 8. Man, what the gently caress? :( Guess that was the major twist I've been dreading, and I have a feeling it's not going to be reversed in one of the other routes. I was starting to think Kurusu might somehow be involved in the murders, but my theory was too crazy even for this thread so I didn't post about it. After Takuru's review of the case at the start of Chapter 9, I think Kawahara is the most likely culprit, but I'm skeptical he's smart enough to pull off everything the killer has done so far.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
This game you guys keep commenting on is only in Japanese now, right? Or is there a translation somewhere?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

???? chaos;child has had an official translation for years now?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Also you can just plug "chaos child english" into any search engine, I'm sure

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I think they may be talking about Umineko... which also has an easily findable English release on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/406550/Umineko_When_They_Cry__Question_Arcs/

Just turn off the new sprites or use the PS3 sprite pack if you buy that.

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
Chaos; Child start of Chapter 10. OK, so the evidence does point to Serika. But what on earth is the motive? And psychic or not, why would Kurusu confront her alone? Kurusu pretty clearly expected to die during their confrontation. But why would Kurusu assume that Serika's killing spree would end with her? How does Kurusu's decision protect Takuru and the remainder of her family? There's a lot of questions the remainder of the game has to answer. Presumably the key will be Kurusu revealing the information she's been keeping from Takuru much earlier in the story.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Do I need to play Chaos;Head to play Chaos;Child? I've tried C;H a few times and haven't been able to get into it, but I've heard great things about C;C.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

This game you guys keep commenting on is only in Japanese now, right? Or is there a translation somewhere?

Chaos;Head is the one without a translation of its complete version.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

There is a really good lip on the forums which goes through Chaos;Head in English, it’s finished.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Do not play Chaos Head, it is one of the worst visual novels I've ever played. with an absolutely repugnant protag as well

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I think they may be talking about Umineko... which also has an easily findable English release on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/406550/Umineko_When_They_Cry__Question_Arcs/

Just turn off the new sprites or use the PS3 sprite pack if you buy that.

Ah, thought you were playing Umineko on PS4/Switch. I just googled it and saw it had just come out but not in English. Didn't realize it was an old game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Squiddycat posted:

Do not play Chaos Head, it is one of the worst visual novels I've ever played. with an absolutely repugnant protag as well

I couldn't even make it past the intro with that dude. Just an absolute trash man as a protagonist

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Honestly that's the idea/intention, and it's a story that wouldn't really work with a "better" MC.

My problem is the last chapter of C;H basically turning into DBZ and being the evergreen combination of both very dumb and very boring.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Squiddycat posted:

I enjoyed it, but you have to enjoy awful people protagonists. It's a definite love or hate VN, though the ending was very dull. I recommend it because you'll know quickly if it's worth your time or not.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Alright here's my Umineko post chapter 6 theorycrafting post. Enjoy? https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=158309

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Do I need to play Chaos;Head to play Chaos;Child? I've tried C;H a few times and haven't been able to get into it, but I've heard great things about C;C.

I can't speak to the 'don't play C;H it's bad' PoV because I haven't played it. Since I did play C;C without playing C;H I can say you don't need C;H to understand C;C.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Alright here's my Umineko post chapter 6 theorycrafting post. Enjoy? https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=158309

I'm quoting this so I can find it later when I'm further in my reread of 1-4 to collect my thoughts.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Rockman Reserve posted:

I'm quoting this so I can find it later when I'm further in my reread of 1-4 to collect my thoughts.

Note that this has some early 7 as well mixed in.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Thanks for the warning. I looked up the Umineko manga after seeing a random volume in a store in the beforetimes and 1) holy poo poo it’s like $150+ a book now and 2) the first page of search results included the cover of one of the books for 7 and seemed like a mild spoiler that I’m trying to keep in mind in my theories.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

never look up umineko anything until you have finished chapter 8.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

once in this very thread I told my tale of woe about getting a huge part of dangan ronpa 2 spoiled by the title banner image of something calling itself a spoiler free presents guide

or seeing a higurashi spoiler in a random image posted to a GBS thread about Groundhog Day

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Umineko has some pretty good fake spoilers floating around at least

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I finally got a piano on Friday and found sheet music for “hope” by dai off the Umineko soundtrack and I don’t think I will ever get it out of my head

e: combined with realizing a ragtime song I was trying to remember was not actually a classic Scott Joplin joint but in fact actually the overworld music to Super Mario Bros 2, it has already been three days of entirely too much nerd poo poo infecting my other hobbies

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 23, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The soundtrack has really been the most exciting part of Umineko for me, I was already expecting a good game, I was however not expecting nearly all the tracks to be fire

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Gaius Marius posted:

The soundtrack has really been the most exciting part of Umineko for me, I was already expecting a good game, I was however not expecting nearly all the tracks to be fire

i really like the one that gets introduced in episode 3 I think when rosa is telling her story at the table, if anyone knows which song that is, it appears a bunch after like I think during a lot of the maria parts of episode 4

oh this one is really good too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT167XU_7_s

edit: found it, this one is my favorite so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd5Vt_qct0s

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 23, 2021

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

I have a lot of favorite Umineko tracks, and earlier in the thread I linked to some of my favorite vocal covers

MegaZeroX posted:

Does anyone know a decent list of Umineko vocal covers of instrumental tracks from the VN? Here is what I found so far (all are Japanese versions, or at least sung by Japanese singers)

Semiofficial (in an album published by a composer, but not appearing in the VN) By B メ・イ (if anyone knows the source of the B メイ covers, it would be greatly appreciated)

Miscellaneous: I tried to link to the original video upload if by an independent creator. If released in an album, I just linked to an arbitrary YouTube video with decent audio quality.

Note that these have visual spoilers for up to and through chapter 6, so I wouldn't recommend viewing before then. Also, recommended videos can have even more spoilers, so its probably best to view through polsy or something similar. Lyrically, even if you know Japanese, I don't think the lyrics are too spoilery, though I would wait on chapter 6 before Kina no Kaori.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 23, 2021

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I'd personally wait on Golden Nocturne as well, but that's just because I really love the setting used in ep 7 for it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Nope. There is one more hint you get for the epitaph puzzle (possibly in episode 5): think about how "Japan" may have been different when Kinzo was growing up.

Quoting this from pages back, Umineko epitaph spoilers/musings: does it have something to do with the end of the Meiji era? I have no idea how it possibly could, but I'm rackin' my brain here.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Is there any evidence that Umineko's author has read Goethe's Faust? I'm basing a lot of speculation off it and I'm not liking where it's going.

Before we get into Ep4 I've got some thoughts on what's been seen so far

1.My theory with the sub and transporting the gold seemed good when I wrote it down but I'm starting to have my doubts. It seems the Japanese didn't name their subs, so I have no idea why Hideyoshi brings up a freshwater fish for what should be an ocean going affair. I'm just gonna have to knuckle down and read some more it seems

2. If it is Yamashita's gold I do think there is some thematic significance to it. You see the gold was supposedly mostly acquired by melting down looted Buddhist artifacts. If they were melted down and then used for this western witches purpose...There's some sort of symbolism in the duality of eastern and western mysticism. I'm just not sure what.

3.The shrine, It's only when the Eastern shrine is destroyed that all this western nonsense starts, I was toying with the idea that this is symbolic of the gold being destroyed to start Kinzo's long con.

4.I had something else but I forgot what

5. So I've been rereading the Parts of Goethe's Faust that deal with the Homonculus. And it's giving me the bad vibes, Whereas Faust is a person with form lacking a truly radiant soul, the Homonculus is a Soul lacking a physical form. If we map this on to Beato think of her she has a sort of soul, but she's trapped in a physical form based on a idealized woman of Kinzo's instead of herself. I really hope im off here cause of what happens. So there's a bunch about the elements and all that but the gist of it all is the homonculus is cast into the sea to fuse the Water elemental and Fire elemental of his spirit and attain a form. Unfortunately in doing so his experience is the same as all of us eventually, he dies.

6.To expound we need to look at the role the sea plays in this game. Rokkenjima functions as a short of gigantic Schrodinger's box. The event's are unknown and as such any reasonable explanation can be considered just as true as any other, the sea is the limiting area for it. The game has a fascination with the duality of the sea, It's both the means of conveyment to the island, outside rokkenjima is the true world where the truth is the truth and "Magic" has no power, It's also the gatekeeper, the storms trap them in the nightmare.
From what I remember Beato has two scenes involving the water, One is when she's Shannon at the aquarium with George, she's off the island, and even then the only thing separating her from metaphorical completion is a thin layer of glass, perhaps her romance with George nearly saved her, but for some reason it was incomplete in it's transformative effects. Two is when Rosa, whom I believe to actually be a young Battler, rescue's her from the Kuwad-orian. She's at her most Vulnerable state, her most lacking in spirit, and she asks to go to the sea, and she dies mere feet away. I'm hoping I'm way off here, really I feel I'm conflating the Spirit and the Physical and she doesn't evoke the idea of a homonculous that much. I also Love Faust to death so I feel I'm reading it's meaning into another work too much.

7.Pretend I wrote a bunch of words about Liminal states, Kinzo's door, the island, and Liminal's root word Limens meaning Threshold in Latin. I'm already getting tired and I need to start reading and stop typing

8.If we asuume Ange's backflip off the hospital was either a metaphorical, or real death, then her contract with Bernkastel in some ways resmebles Faust's contract with Mephistopheles.

9.Is her backflip a reference to an Anime, I swear I've seen a picture that looks a lot like that, I was thinking Sailor moon but she's always jumping forward.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 24, 2021

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I obviously don’t know either way but that seems like some lines of thought worth pursuing based on the stuff I know now.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I haven't played Umineko but I wouldn't be surprised if the writer has read one of the most famous pieces of literature ever.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Do you think so, usually when I see anybody referencing Goethe's Faust in particular they're referencing Part 1, which I love but it doesn't in any way help my analysis. I do wish more people would read both parts though, It's a stunning work through and through.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

One more dumb question for the thread regarding Umineko (like ten minutes into ep 1, not spoiling it) - is there any significance to how the Ushiromiya family names are spelled in kanji? It kind of throws me off that Battler's seems to be the only one you can't really pronounce from the kanji used.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Rockman Reserve posted:

One more dumb question for the thread regarding Umineko (like ten minutes into ep 1, not spoiling it) - is there any significance to how the Ushiromiya family names are spelled in kanji? It kind of throws me off that Battler's seems to be the only one you can't really pronounce from the kanji used.

That Kinzo is simultaneously a 西洋かぶれ and a starch traditionalist at the same time, somehow.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

CaptainRat posted:

(Chaos;Child) Since that post I actually finished everything, I believe at the point I made that post I had done everyone except Nono. I ended up really liking the story after I finished everything, it was bittersweet but also touching and it stuck with me for quite a while.

Uki's is probably the one that troubled me the most, they really convinced me the whole thing was a dying fantasy of Takuru's so when it turned out it was actually Uki's, combined with the two ways that scenario could end, I was floored and had to put the game down for a day or two.

The one that I found most depressing was Hinae's, since IMO Hinae is the character with the most romantic chemistry with Takuru (not necessarily my favorite character, but the one who seemed to mesh best with Takuru*) and that route's ending is super depressing. IIRC a couple other routes have endings that at least aren't outright bad (Kazuki's can be assumed to be bad in the end, but at least they completely ruined all of the Committee's plans in the process by throwing the world into chaos, and I think I recall Nono's route having an ending that is more or less outright positive). I didn't really like the ending of the Hinae route mostly because it was kind of unnecessarily depressing (in both incarnations). Like, there was a highly plausible path to a good end there (and the mother is kind of unrealistically insane), as opposed to other routes where it's at least easy to understand why some sort of bad end might have been inevitable.

The one part of that game where I was just like "no loving way, you've got to be kidding me" is when girl from his dorm is dismembered by his mind-controlled friend. I don't know what I expected, but I didn't expect something like that.

* It seemed to me that Takuru would actually find interacting with someone who you literally can't lie to to be "freeing" in a sense, and Takuru himself is a goober who is bad at lying, which would actually be more comfortable for someone who can detect all lies. So basically Hinae's 'power' makes her a person who forces Takuru to drop all pretensions, and in doing so he also becomes someone without all the deception she sees common in most other people (most of whom would find her power off-putting).

Squiddycat posted:

It's kind of interesting how Takuru is basically like "the Chaos;Head protagonist, except just a relatively normal angsty teen and not an awful piece of poo poo." Like they decided to redo a vaguely similar character in a way that wasn't terrible.

Stefan Prodan posted:

i really like the one that gets introduced in episode 3 I think when rosa is telling her story at the table, if anyone knows which song that is, it appears a bunch after like I think during a lot of the maria parts of episode 4

oh this one is really good too

One of my favorite tracks that I think might only show up once in Episode 3 and usually doesn't come up when people are talking about the Umineko OST is this one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lfKRZPs7kQ

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 25, 2021

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
Mega-spoilers for Chaos;Child – Do not read this if you haven’t played it. Finished the “Common" route and the bad end for the common route. I started Arimura’s route today. It is creepy as gently caress watching the interactions between these characters knowing that Serika is primarily responsible for everything that happened AND that she’s reading everybody’s mind right from the very beginning. I’m looking for earlier hints I might have missed about precisely when Itou became mind controlled and whether not there were early hints about Kurusu being a psychic. It’s a genuinely disturbing but top notch VN so far.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

MegaZeroX posted:

That Kinzo is simultaneously a 西洋かぶれ and a starch traditionalist at the same time, somehow.

Good to know Japan has a term for Westaboo

How old is he supposed to be exactly? I don't think I actually remember, but I could see how it could be that way. His parents would've been alive during the end of the shogunate, and he would've lived to see Japan become a massive empire, and then contract back to just the Main islands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://www.ign.com/articles/acclaimed-visual-novel-rpg-gnosia-gets-march-release-date

Neat