Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Wow, that Total Tiki app really is something. Very complete presentation; the feature where you can browse a timeline to find evolutions of a recipe, or contemporary cousins of a recipe, is particularly impressive.

In honor of that recommendation, here is one of my favorite cocktails from this app. These are great with Rittenhouse rye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Ugh not for android. Looks so cool though.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
+1 for Total Tiki being great. That's kinda what pushed me over the edge into buying a ton of tiki stuff recently.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

prayer group posted:

I do have to ask what you plan to use it for though.

Lime booster/sweetener for tequila or rum drinks. Been putting the juiced halves in a freezer bag in freezer. Once a large amount available thaw them and use them. Basically I was gonna do stock as an alternative to a rough oleo method. It does seem like it could get crazy bitter. Your feedback is making me question, maybe I want to stick to oleo.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I say go ahead and try doing a smaller batch of it. Just keep an eye on how long it goes, bitterness is gonna start happening pretty quickly. Maybe consider adding lime oleo to it when it's done.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

So, when making batched martinis for the freezer, I can't seem to get the dilution right. I'm doing 3-1, with orange bitters and dilution of 1oz per serving, and the things keep turning into unpourable slushies in the freezer. Lowering the dilution results in a martini with the wrong balance, and even lowering to .75 oz per serving resulted in a bunch of ice crystals. And if I need to add water after pouring, I may as well just not batch. What am I doing wrong?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

You may just have a colder freezer than expected, and it'll be good once they thaw. I had the same thing when I tried to use my chest freezer instead of my side-by-side.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Saw a :10bux: thing at Target, had idea.

The 375s are easier to serve from, but I still buy handles (different brands too) to refill them for :homebrew: reasons. This will do well until I have a bigger place!

Also I'm still happy with Mixel. I wish they had a ABV "range" filter though, since the data is there and sometimes I want to go easy, like 10-15% ABV.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

Saw a :10bux: thing at Target, had idea.

The 375s are easier to serve from, but I still buy handles (different brands too) to refill them for :homebrew: reasons. This will do well until I have a bigger place!

Also I'm still happy with Mixel. I wish they had a ABV "range" filter though, since the data is there and sometimes I want to go easy, like 10-15% ABV.

What might help is if you create a custom filter for yourself that restricts the results to only recipes from the “low/no abv” recipe pack. It isn’t perfect, but it works for me.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
Another one down from the Aviary cocktail book, this time Jesus Can't Hit a Curveball

Maybe the most ridiculous prep I've done yet, but also with easy to source things (viz. vegetables)

The ice (a couple of 1.25" cubes, kind of hard to see in the pic) is bell pepper juice with serrano pepper syrup, a little bit of St. George green chile vodka, ginger juice, and lime bitters. Also pure glucose instead of sugar--maybe it helps it to freeze?

The liquor base is gin, aloe liqueur, and chatreuse, and to that you add "celery stock" (blanched celery, juiced and with mixed with a bit of sugar), ginger syrup, and lime juice. They say to carbonate the whole deal which is insane without a Perlini shaker, so i just carbonated the liquor before adding the rest. then top with a bit of champagne. I always use prosecco because i prefer it in general and just buy a case of Lamarca at a time, but brut champagne instead of an extra dry prosecco really would work better here im sure. THEN spray a spritz of parsley tincture over the top (just cook some parsley in everclear sous vide at 75°C for 5 minutes and strain).

There's a bunch of sugar in it and it's not quite as "green"-tasting as it sounds, but it's still really good. The recipe for all the prep yields enough for something like 6-8 drinks, except for the parsley tincture. I made half of what was called for an have a lifetime supply now lol

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I thought about that and checked, and the first ~10 cards in that pack were 0% ABV, which wasn't my aim. Restricting to "stir" drinks helps a bit. I'm talking like an Americano.

Ooh, I just tried only drinks with ingredient "soda" (to get both soda water and club soda) and that'll do me for a good while.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I've been futzing around with cherry juice, anyone here got cocktails they love that use it?

I'm using bottle right now, but when cheap cherry season comes around I'm going to try my hand at making some fresh juice (blend vs press) and futz around again.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
I feel like I need to get involved with this thread a little.

Me and my wife have been collecting various spirits for a while, and through the past year we've ended up deciding to teach ourselves cocktail making, with some pretty enjoyable results.

There's very few ingredients we don't have now, so it's all just trying things out and finding flavours we enjoy.

Unusually, neither of us are huge on long tiki cocktails - we're both much bigger fans of shorter drinks. My go-to and a huge personal favourite is a twist on amaretto sour, with an additional hit of Red Stag and using egg white for a decent froth, garnished with orange and maraschino; those that have had chance to try it swear by it now!

2 1/2 measures amaretto, 1 1/2 red stag, 1 lemon juice, egg yolk; shake until frothy, add ice, shake again; strain over ice, garnish with orange wedge and maraschino cherry.

Anything that'd be interesting to broaden our horizons would be nice, so I think I'm gonna have to keep an eye on this one!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

That Roku gin is quite nice. When I first tried it I was figuring it would have limited utility, but its my personal favorite in negronis now. What a beautiful bottle, too!

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Seconding the appreciation for Roku gin.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Anonymous Robot posted:

That Roku gin is quite nice. When I first tried it I was figuring it would have limited utility, but its my personal favorite in negronis now. What a beautiful bottle, too!

For what appears at first glance to be a gimmick, it is v much not gimmicky (as opposed to say Bombay East, which i also enjoy but is definitely NOT also a passable substitute from london dry gin)

Then again ive never had anything bad from Suntory

e: Unrelated, but I've also never had anything bad from St. George, and they put out a hell of a diverse offering: their Bruto Americano (like Campari but more gentian), their pear eau de vie, their basil eau de vie, their terroir gin, their green chili vodka, their ginger spice pear liqueur--it's all stand-out

eSports Chaebol fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 22, 2021

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Bruto Americano is fuckin tops

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

eSports Chaebol posted:

For what appears at first glance to be a gimmick, it is v much not gimmicky

What's gimmicky about it? Just that it's Japanese?

I know very little about gin although I've really liked just about every cocktail I can remember ordering that had it, and I've loved all three tiki cocktails I've made that have used it so far. I think I might be a gin guy. It just doesn't seem very popular around here for some reason so I haven't been exposed to it very much.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Japanese (or Japan-inspired) gin started appearing in numbers on shelves shortly after Japanese whiskey became trendy. The Japanese whiskey market is full of marketing gimmickry- a lot of what is branded as Japanese whiskey is, at best, only aged in Japan- so it’s natural to assume the same for gin.

It doesn’t help that they seem to have just thrown in all the most characteristically Japanese botanicals they could think of, so it appears as if they were doing it for branding reasons rather than flavor.

But it is actually pretty great!

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

my kinda ape posted:

What's gimmicky about it? Just that it's Japanese?

Roku is literally Japanese for “six” and it has six Japanese non-traditional gin botanicals

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Anonymous Robot posted:

It is, yeah. I actually quite like it as a sipper as well.

eSports Chaebol posted:

Then again ive never had anything bad from Suntory

Double agree. I've got a bottle of their Haku vodka as well, and it is, hands down, the nicest vodka I've ever tried. It's smooth and with no harshness at all. Absolutely dangerous in cocktails because you just have no idea how potent the drink you're making really is.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Anonymous Robot posted:

The Japanese whiskey market is full of marketing gimmickry- a lot of what is branded as Japanese whiskey is, at best, only aged in Japan- so it’s natural to assume the same for gin.

There is a lot of marketing gimmickry in gin, even Japanese gin, but it is genuinely Japanese. Japan has plenty of domestic suppliers of NGS, since as far back as 1907. It's cheap as hell (compared to whisky, anyway) to create a gin distillery, especially if you source your NGS from someone else. Throw a few botanicals in the basket of your still, come up with a brand, and you have a gin. There are even two gin distilleries in central Tokyo now. You don't need to search outside of Japan to do it cheap.

That's compared to Japanese whisky, which is the clusterfuck we're talking about in the whisky thread.

The two are somewhat intertwined though. If you're making genuine Japanese whisky, you can fairly easily make Japanese gin to get some cashflow until the whisky is ready.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 23, 2021

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Playing around with gin sours/daisies last night and I came up with the gin daisy number 4. 2oz london dry, 3/4 lemon juice, 1/2 oz simple, 1/4 oz grenadine. Shake, serve in a coup with a cherry garnish. It was good!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Playing around with gin sours/daisies last night and I came up with the gin daisy number 4. 2oz london dry, 3/4 lemon juice, 1/2 oz simple, 1/4 oz grenadine. Shake, serve in a coup with a cherry garnish. It was good!

Made this just a few minutes ago with Old Tom gin and campari instead of grenadine and it was great.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I'm starting to branch out with gins and need to pick up a new bottle soon, any recommendations? I've had beefeater and tanqueray (and bombay sapphire, ages ago). I've heard good things about monkey 47 and the botanist.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Hendricks! Also I had one of their limited releases over Christmas and that was baller too.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Made this just a few minutes ago with Old Tom gin and campari instead of grenadine and it was great.

You mean you made a Gin Daisy #5 :colbert:

Just added both of these to Mixel! The other Daisies on there all have soda water, have you tried yours tall & fizzy?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Toebone posted:

I'm starting to branch out with gins and need to pick up a new bottle soon, any recommendations? I've had beefeater and tanqueray (and bombay sapphire, ages ago). I've heard good things about monkey 47 and the botanist.

What are you thinking of making? I really like 209 gin and Junipero, especially in martinis and negronis.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Toebone posted:

Roku gin from Suntory is quite good, If you're in the Mountain West area Leopold Brothers is the best gin I've ever ever had.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Toebone posted:

I really love Nikka Coffey gin, it's got a nice citrus vibe to it. I'm definitely no expert though!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Junipero, Hendricks, etc are all great. But time and time again I keep returning to Gordon's.

BrianBoitano posted:

You mean you made a Gin Daisy #5 :colbert:

Just added both of these to Mixel! The other Daisies on there all have soda water, have you tried yours tall & fizzy?

It's good as a long drink, as well! It's also good as a French 75 variation of you use champaign instead of soda water. This time I was looking for a still cocktail served up, though.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Since I jumped ahead to the end of the thread again, might as well post my bar that I started a little over a year ago.

I'm a big fan of rum and liqueurs, if you couldn't guess.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I spy a Chicagoan

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Data Graham posted:

I spy a Chicagoan

No, just someone who enjoys forcing misery on others.

It left enough of an impression on my friend that he got me this shirt for Christmas.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

No lie I love malort. Once I was waiting in the shower line at an event and a guy dared me to drink some and I was like "haha joke's on him" and I finished the bottle. Joke was on me when I tried to shower after that but it wasn't because the malort tasted bad.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

When you order a bunch of shots of malort with a group of people nobody bats an eye

When you sit at a bar by yourself on a tuesday night and order a shot of malort and a cheap beer they assume (usually correctly) that you're a bartender or that you hate yourself (por que no los dos?)

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy

The Chad Jihad posted:

I really love Nikka Coffey gin, it's got a nice citrus vibe to it. I'm definitely no expert though!

same, its the tits just on the rocks with maybe a twist. then again i mostly prefer gins with a subdued juniper presence like nolets

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Malort is fine. I've def put worse things in my mouth.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

For an excellent complex gin I highly recommend the St. George Terroir. It's like taking a hike in a glass, all bay laurel and wild dill and mustard and nettles among the juniper. It manages fancy botanicals without obscuring the classic gin flavor profile. Makes a spectacular martini with Vya dry vermouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
What have y'all found is the best way to incorporate club soda, tonic water, etc. into a cocktail? Often I read "top with club soda" or something similar, but I find that it tends to sit on top of the drink. So it tastes extremely watered down at first, then too blunt at the end; rather than bubbly and boozy throughout. Should I just stir it all, in the drinking glass, at the very end? I feel like there must be a reason not to.

(Specifically asking because last night I made a Ginger Collins, a Tom Collins variant with Domaine de Canton, and it had this issue. Gin & Tonics have done this to me as well.)