Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
If you can get it to an auto parts store, they'll usually read the code for free. Some Subaru's have some tricks you can do to get it to spit out codes on the odometer screen, so you could also search online about that for your specific model (e.g. my 05 LGT could do this by connecting some plugs in the lower driver's side dash compartment, then holding or pressing the odo switcher when turning the key to ACC or ON..forget which).

For emissions, IIRC you have to drive it for 60 miles or so (maybe not this far?) after an ECU reset for it not to complain. Not sure if that varies by state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
A friend has a code reader and may be coming over tonight for dinner, so hopefully that will clear things up. I'm hopeful that having it on the trickle charger overnight and then going through a few restart cycles will fix everything.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
To reset your emissions monitors I’ve had the best luck by turning off every accessory (radio, heat, lights, etc) and driving around keeping it below 3k RPM. I used to get my wrx ready in less than 30 miles that way. Best to do it on a highway. The evap sensor will sometimes require you to cool the car off (just let it sit overnight) and do another couple of miles before it’s ready. On my evo you also have to be between 1/4 and 3/4 tank of gas, not sure about subarus.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
The code is P0606, PCM Processor Fault, which sounds really bad but apparently sometimes it just clears on its own after these types of things? Any of you have experience with this?

Edit: looks like Subaru service bulletin 07-75-13R addresses this.

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Feb 21, 2021

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

yeah for those who don't know even during covid some auto parts stores will still read codes, it's just they hand you the code reader and some instructions and you plug it in, let it do its thing, then bring it back in to them to be read

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Also a cheap OBD2 scanner is like 20 bucks and a handy thing to have around. It won’t give you the code description but you can just google it and figure out what it means. I’ve had one of these for a while: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001LHVOVK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_8PQABRMTFJXPTVF1XQ0V

Also an Accessport, if the car has it, will tell you whatever codes you may have and their description.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Yeah, I ordered one. I had a little Bluetooth dongle, but can't find it, naturally.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

made a turn i shouldn't have the other night and totaled my outback. very bummed. no one got hurt though.

that was my first car (i am 19) and i really liked it. i'd only driven modern volvos before that, cause my mom likes them, and they felt really numb. was in a discord and mentioned that my 2011 outback felt sensitive, and people laughed kinda, until i mentioned that it was compared to a recent volvo.

want something a little bit faster that still does Stuff. my only two complaints with my car were that the speakers were absolutely terrible and it didn't have bluetooth - which didn't in itself bother me, but my phone doesn't have a headphone jack, so sometimes i'd leave my house on a low battery and have to choose between my phone dying, and having to listen to FM radio, which blows rear end.

going to wait until school ends and hope they give everyone covid money again, so i can put that with the insurance payout and try to get another car.

not sure if i'll be able to afford it yet, but i was maybe thinking about trying to source a forester from the same era. i once blew a tire in my older brother's driveway because it's narrow and the driveway is narrow and has giant rocks on either side. from what i hear the foresters are a little narrower and taller than the outback, which is a proportion thing i'd be willing to do. having an SUV or at least "bigger than an impreza 5 door" is kinda important because one of my main use cases is that my older brother plays drums, and i write songs and play guitar -- so pretty frequently, i take my guitar and my amp and some other stuff and see him an hour away. and also i'd like to move across the country in the next few years, so fitting all my poo poo inside would be nice.

asking this thread because i want to stick with subaru for a couple reasons, but i have little context for other cars, since i'm so new to driving. i liked that my 2011 car was just new enough to have AUX and be comfortable, but it didn't have any vital digital displays on it, and all the center console was buttons. i hate the touch bullshit and i would have gotten in a horriffic traffic accident by now if i had to drive my mom's XC60, where virtually every control has been replaced by an ipad stuck in the middle of the loving dash.

sorry for the post but it's all wracking to me at the moment still :S could use some perspective.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

The touchscreen stuff is truly terrible and Tesla’s greatest offense against motoring. Modern Subarus still have decent amount of buttons. Was it just a regular Outback or XT?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Toe Rag posted:

The touchscreen stuff is truly terrible and Tesla’s greatest offense against motoring. Modern Subarus still have decent amount of buttons. Was it just a regular Outback or XT?

regular outback. probably base. cloth seats, no USB slot in the center console, wouldn't know anything about the amount of CDs, if it had a changer or not -- i don't own any plastic discs.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If your insurance is going to go up as part of the deal be sure to budget for that too since you’re still in the under 25 hell pool.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

life's short, get a WRX and make it shorter

e: real answer though, if you're under 25, male, with an at-fault accident on your record you're going to want a car cheap enough that you don't have to carry collision coverage. as in, take the insurance payout and make 1/4 of it, or $3k, whichever's more, your budget for your new car, with the remaining amount of the payout sitting untouched in a savings account, as your "comp and collision" coverage

3 grand will get you something that's either really nice with one big thing that needs to be fixed, or kinda old and grungy but functionally fine. and chances are, making do with the car you can afford to replace will save you thousands of dollars over the next 2-5 years

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 22, 2021

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

You can definitely get a Honda Fit for that money.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Midjack posted:

If your insurance is going to go up as part of the deal be sure to budget for that too since you’re still in the under 25 hell pool.

Applies to at least some parts of Canada as well; I picked up a BRZ (I live in Vancouver) a couple weeks before I turned 25. Less than a year later, I've just renewed my insurance and between discounts and rate reductions my insurance for this year is twelve hundred dollars a year cheaper than last year.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

net work error posted:

Get one with a manual and it'll go basically forever.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
If you are in New England will sell you an 09 OBS for that money which is mechanically fine but cosmetically sub optimal. If you enjoyed driving an Outback you will enjoy this.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
I love my '06 Impreza wagon so much. It's just not as practical as either the Fit or the Forester (especially since I haven't gotten the airbag done yet, too many reports of cracked dashes). I've put maybe a thousand miles on it in three years.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

net work error posted:

i can't stand honda fits, and want to stay with subaru because i'm a glutton for pain*

not sure if AWD actually affects this but i spun when i got hit, and if i had spun even a little bit more, i would've hit a car that was right nearby.

it's a weird accident because the cops say it was my fault, but i didn't hit anyone. i went on a green light instead of a green arrow, so i caused the accident by "enabling myself to get hit" which is a loving insane thing, because she wasn't moving when i started moving, and i swear to god i did not hear a traffic horn even as i saw the car getting way too close out of the corner of my eye. some hot bullshit imo but there's no point in fighting it, because cops and judges aren't eager to blame a sweet mom over a 19 year old.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Midjack posted:

my mom is an insurance agent actually so fortunately this may not be as big of a deal as it could be.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

life's short, get a WRX and make it shorter

e: real answer though, if you're under 25, male, with an at-fault accident on your record you're going to want a car cheap enough that you don't have to carry collision coverage. as in, take the insurance payout and make 1/4 of it, or $3k, whichever's more, your budget for your new car, with the remaining amount of the payout sitting untouched in a savings account, as your "comp and collision" coverage

3 grand will get you something that's either really nice with one big thing that needs to be fixed, or kinda old and grungy but functionally fine. and chances are, making do with the car you can afford to replace will save you thousands of dollars over the next 2-5 years

this is probably the correct answer but it'll make me really sad going from my cool car to a shitbox. it was an outback that had everything i wanted on it, and 111K after 10 years :/

crucially, i do still need something reliable that Does Stuff. once a month or so i drive an hour with my car full of heavy, large music equipment, and i expect to move across the country within the next couple of years, so i need something big enough to fit all my bullshit, something reliable enough to get it all across the continent, and so on.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

landgrabber posted:

it's a weird accident because the cops say it was my fault, but i didn't hit anyone. i went on a green light instead of a green arrow, so i caused the accident by "enabling myself to get hit" which is a loving insane thing, because she wasn't moving when i started moving, and i swear to god i did not hear a traffic horn even as i saw the car getting way too close out of the corner of my eye. some hot bullshit imo but there's no point in fighting it, because cops and judges aren't eager to blame a sweet mom over a 19 year old.

You entered an intersection on an unprotected green light and got hit by someone that had right of way. Yeah, you're at fault, no matter how much of an inattentive dumbass the other person is. It ain't worth the aggravation of a busted car, let the opposing traffic clear then go, even if it means sitting through the light again. :shobon:

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Elmnt80 posted:

You entered an intersection on an unprotected green light and got hit by someone that had right of way. Yeah, you're at fault, no matter how much of an inattentive dumbass the other person is. It ain't worth the aggravation of a busted car, let the opposing traffic clear then go, even if it means sitting through the light again. :shobon:

i was behind someone who made the exact same move and didn't get hit. she decided it was her turn to go even though my car was already moving when she started accelerating.

i am not trying to say i didn't break the traffic law but, you know, part of driving is reacting to what other people are doing to begin with

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
So why didn't you react, then? 🙃
Anyways get a Kia Soul 2nd gen. It has good crash test ratings

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Charles posted:

So why didn't you react, then? 🙃
Anyways get a Kia Soul 2nd gen. It has good crash test ratings

i had not taken my adderall that day

also i will not buy a kia soul, this whole experience is humiliating enough already

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

landgrabber posted:

also i will not buy a kia soul, this whole experience is humiliating enough already

Might be worth posting in this thread. My gut feeling is that you are doing yourself a disservice by ruling out anything not Subaru.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3213538

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

landgrabber posted:

i was behind someone who made the exact same move and didn't get hit. she decided it was her turn to go even though my car was already moving when she started accelerating.

i am not trying to say i didn't break the traffic law but, you know, part of driving is reacting to what other people are doing to begin with

True, reacting to other drivers is part of driving, the other part is learning that the other drivers are all dumb fucks who can't think themselves out of a wet paper bag. They get a green light, they go, regardless of who is in the intersection.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Internet Explorer posted:

Might be worth posting in this thread. My gut feeling is that you are doing yourself a disservice by ruling out anything not Subaru.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3213538

i'm open to other things but the subaru thing ticks a lot of the boxes for me, taste-wise:

-AWD saved someone else from getting in a wreck at my hands (if my back tires couldn't grip, i would've rotated even further as i was spinning, and my tail would've bashed right into the front of a Miata)
-everything from the impreza hatch and bigger is good at Doing Stuff, while not being RUGGED like a truck or a jeep or something. i like them as a twee indie rock baby for the same reasons lesbians like them basically
-subaru did not go crazy with digital displays, and still hasn't. in terms of reliability and supply, a honda is obviously better on paper, but right as they hit 07-09, they started offloading everything to digital displays. 10+ year old car + relatively early mass produced car computer/infotainment bullshit + honda's late 2000s senioritis period isn't doesn't sound like a recipe for not being annoyed

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

this is absolutely a reverse engineered explanation, but now that the second i finish school, i'm going to be an indentured servant to car insurance companies anyway, it better be for a car i actually like

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
From what I gather from your accident, AWD might not have made much of a difference. Grip primarily comes from the tires and AWD isn't going to stop your tires from breaking free if you get hit from the side. If you had your foot on the gas during the spin (if you didn't, AWD was not a factor) and your rear wheels didn't have traction, the AWD system was likely transferring most of the torque to the front axle, so your recovery was probably not much different than a FWD car. Apologies if I'm misunderstanding what happened, but regardless, there are plenty of non-Subaru AWD options. Not necessarily trying to steer you away from Subaru, it's just worth considering all options.

I believe Subaru has finally gone off the iPad display deep-end. Check out the latest Outback infotainment setup:

Believe the only physical climate controls are temp up/down and front/rear defrost. They did take longer to get there than some other makers though.

e: Also worth noting there are adapters that can give your phone both an AUX out and charge in off your single lightning or usb-c port. You don't have to stop playing music from your phone just to charge even if your phone has no headphone jack. Also, you can get bluetooth receivers that plug into a 12V cigarette lighter port if you want to play music via bluetooth on a car that doesn't have bluetooth built in.

e2: based on what you're looking for (space to haul some stuffs, a little bit more giddyup), an older Outback XT or 3.6R is probably ideal (more room than a Forester), but a Forester XT probably also would fit the bill. Problem is depending on your budget (especially considering your insurance costs), you might be stuck with older model year options that have high mileage (high 100ks, maybe 200k+) which will be risky purchases in terms of cost of future repairs.

Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 22, 2021

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Splinter posted:

From what I gather from your accident, AWD might not have made much of a difference. Grip primarily comes from the tires and AWD isn't going to stop your tires from breaking free if you get hit from the side. If you had your foot on the gas during the spin (if you didn't, AWD was not a factor) and your rear wheels didn't have traction, the AWD system was likely transferring most of the torque to the front axle, so your recovery was probably not much different than a FWD car. Apologies if I'm misunderstanding what happened, but regardless, there are plenty of non-Subaru AWD options. Not necessarily trying to steer you away from Subaru, it's just worth considering all options.

I believe Subaru has finally gone off the iPad display deep-end. Check out the latest Outback infotainment setup:

Believe the only physical climate controls are temp up/down and front/rear defrost. They did take longer to get there than some other makers though.

AWD on another car is probably going to be more expensive resold, since it was an option. even if that wasn't a factor in itself, it'd probably come with other options that heighten the trim level.

i have been looking at other brands but subaru has my heart kinda, because they fit tastes, i liked my last car a lot, and all the cars i think are the coolest are the late 90's-mid 2000s japanese tuners, so there's like a liiiiiiittle bit of a link there, stupid as it is. they're weird cars and i'm a weird person.

but i mean i have still been looking at civics/accords. mazda's have cool exteriors and are narrow, which i like, but the interiors are kind of awful looking in my opinion. all the toyotas around me are insanely expensive. there're so many hondas that prices aren't that bad, but god, in my current 75 mile radius, the used toyota tax is very, very real.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

also not that it counts for much but i did buy my car from a specific subaru dealership, and they were nice and gave me a bunch of money off, because my sister had bought a legacy there before. was thinking maybe they would do the same since i'm a repeater.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hot tip, take your Adderall and watch the Smith System defensive driving courses or something similar (maybe it's on YouTube, Idk). Get whatever car you can afford and put good tires on it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Trying to persuade someone not to buy a Subaru in the Subaru thread is kinda..... weird.

If you want a Subie and more importantly can afford it it makes for a decent reliable car so not seeing the problem here - you don't even need to be rational about it or justify it to anyone else (Lord knows mostly I'm not). Wether or not I agree with the kid's assessment of AWD in a crash... well that's an entirely different commentary I wont be making.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I mean I justified my crosstrek to myself as "I need the shortest car that's AWD with higher ground clearance than an Impreza" because I street-parked in SF and felt I needed AWD to go to Tahoe without needing to chain up (because CalTrans is dumb as all hell), so you do you.

That said wtf did they do with the UI? I want manual knobs for volume and climate control

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Splinter posted:

I find it sad that we're at the point where I'm thinking, "Hey, at least you can adjust the temperature without using a touchscreen."

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

luminalflux posted:

I mean I justified my crosstrek to myself as "I need the shortest car that's AWD with higher ground clearance than an Impreza" because I street-parked in SF and felt I needed AWD to go to Tahoe without needing to chain up (because CalTrans is dumb as all hell), so you do you.

That said wtf did they do with the UI? I want manual knobs for volume and climate control

Yeah for going skiing when driving from the Bay Area or similar, Subarus are boss.

The interior on my 2020 Impreza has enough buttons that I don't care about the touchscreen. Only Mazda has completely gone away from touchscreens in the 3, and seems to have given in by having one in the MX-30, from the video I watched.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

luminalflux posted:

It's even worse when you watch a video for how it works. Some of those on-screen climate controls actually open up another pop-up window before you can even adjust the setting you clicked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFbZ3nkhcRQ

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

landgrabber posted:

I had a '12 Soul, 2.0l with the manual 6spd, new for that year. 2012 was an upgrade year, the Nu engine is loving solid and the trans is pretty crisp.

I love me some subarus too. I'm on my fourth, because I'm incapable of settling on something forever. But the Soul I drove for 7 years never failed me, had tons of space, and got decent mileage. Only ever changed fluids, filters, wipers, tires and bulbs. Everything else, brakes, battery, everything, took 120k miles of my abuse. It's hands down the most reliable car I've owned.

It's not flashy or fast, but it's a good drat car.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The '15 and up Soul also do well on the small-overlap crash test, which is why I suggested it, and they're probably not that expensive.

If you're dead set on a Subaru, then isn't your constraining factor just what budget you have?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Also if you're 19 that's like, peak shitbox age. Buy several cheap subarus and turn them into one mostly-working subaru!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Kazinsal posted:

Also if you're 19 that's like, peak shitbox age. Buy several cheap subarus and turn them into one mostly-working subaru!

i don't fix cars or know the first thing about doing it or have anyone to teach me how to do it. i have a single mom. the most complicated tool we own is a set of regular pliars, or maybe one of those multi-bit screwdrivers. the closest i get to anything auto related is using a set of feeler gauges... to setup my guitar.