Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

:lol: I actually came in here today because Crows. The one I am particular friends with ("H") gave me a penny for his lunch yesterday and I thought Pookah would like that. :3:

More in line with that tweet, he also cawed really aggressively at a poor, like, ten year old girl that had the audacity to walk past me on the sidewalk a few minutes later. It's a public sidewalk H. It's not just our sidewalk. Please let the children use it.

I do love it! Descriptions of crows being smart and social with other species always make me happy because it reinforces the evidence they have very good judgement - they carefully watch/test a person for a while to see if they show a consistent pattern of collaborative effort, and if they do, they get crow backup. It's not given lightly, you literally have to pass tests to get on Crow Crew.

And I do love to tell the Pookie/Daisy/Henry story. Do you know, that even though she has always accepted Henry as family, she still completely stopped barking like a dog when Daisy died. She used to bark all the drat time, any time she wanted attention.

Henry may look like Daisy, but he doesn't bark like her, and as far as Pookie is concerned, the only barks worth copying were Daisy's.
She recognizes him as 'A Daisy', but not 'The Daisy'.
He is accepted and loved, but not the same.
Its a pretty amazing distinction. She really does like him, but she knows he is not her childhood friend, and that is ok.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Oh that dreadful bird, I just let her out this evening to sit on my shoulder, and even though I asked her 10-15 times if, yes, she needed to poop, (she always needs to poop) she waited until we got upstairs, demanded to be let climb down on to my bedstead, then crapped down on to the floor.
She's looking so superior because she didn't actually crap down my back, she crapped elsewhere, so I should be extremely grateful.

Poop is the universal parrot constant.

Henry the dog is extremely loving and needy, and as far as he is concerned, he is my primary concern, and I am his person. He's an absolute delight of a dog, but there is a little conflict between Pookie's sense of primacy, and Henry's.

Fortunately neither of them can count, so they are both triumphantly Number One in my heart, and can endlessly lord it over the other poor sap.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 21, 2021

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Serra is a regal beast -

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Captain Log posted:

Serra is a regal beast -

loooool birb supervillain over here

Pookah posted:

Oh that dreadful bird, I just let her out this evening to sit on my shoulder, and even though I asked her 10-15 times if, yes, she needed to poop, (she always needs to poop) she waited until we got upstairs, demanded to be let climb down on to my bedstead, then crapped down on to the floor.
She's looking so superior because she didn't actually crap down my back, she crapped elsewhere, so I should be extremely grateful.

Poop is the universal parrot constant.

lool. alex is sometimes very naughty because he’s used to flying where he wants now and he’ll get in a rut of flying to your shoulder and then pooping. and if there’s any negative thing about linnies at all it’s that they can have ENORMOUS poops relative to body size because they’re fruit eaters.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

mediaphage posted:

loooool birb supervillain over here

lool. alex is sometimes very naughty because he’s used to flying where he wants now and he’ll get in a rut of flying to your shoulder and then pooping. and if there’s any negative thing about linnies at all it’s that they can have ENORMOUS poops relative to body size because they’re fruit eaters.

Its so RUDE!

They can poop literally anywhere else, just don't poop on family, and they still do?

ARGH!!!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
.Banane would fly to me many many times a day to take a duke on my knee.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Serra, much to my surprise, understands me telling her "Poop!" before she comes out of the cage. She will even "try" if she doesn't have anything on desk.

But once she is out, her preferred spot is on my chest. Because she gets chided when she jumps to my headboard, she thinks a chest dump is doing me a favor.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
In news of parrots with other animals, this just popped up from the longtime owner of a beloved Amazon on Facebook. It’s an awful story, but relevant to our conversation -

“Please keep Hub in your thoughts (and prayers if you're religious). He got attacked by our foster dog. We have no idea how it happened because he was in his cage in the bird room and the dog was gated 3 rooms away in the living room. I came out of the bathroom to find him in her mouth in the living room. He has damage to his bottom beak and 2 puncture wounds that I could find. We are currently on the 2 hour drive to the closest vet that can help him and is open on a Sunday. I can't even imagine losing him. I've already shed more tears than I thought humanly possible.”

I loving hate to rain on a potential new owners parade, because I love adding responsible owners to our Pet Island flock. But parrots are tragically fragile around big prey driven animals.

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 22, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Captain Log posted:

In news of parrots with other animals, this just popped up from the longtime owner of a beloved Amazon on Facebook. It’s an awful story, but relevant to our conversation -

“Please keep Hub in your thoughts (and prayers if you're religious). He got attacked by our foster dog. We have no idea how it happened because he was in his cage in the bird room and the dog was gated 3 rooms away in the living room. I came out of the bathroom to find him in her mouth in the living room. He has damage to his bottom beak and 2 puncture wounds that I could find. We are currently on the 2 hour drive to the closest vet that can help him and is open on a Sunday. I can't even imagine losing him. I've already shed more tears than I thought humanly possible.”

I loving hate to rain on a potential new owners parade, because I love adding responsible owners go out Pet Island flock. But parrots are tragically fragile around big prey driven animals.

awful. i'm not expecting that bird to make it, frankly, but fingers cross. it's so awful.

in an attempt to cheer things up, i would like to introduce the new branch manager and the assistant branch manager:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Please tell me why I got home and Sera's breath smells like rice.

He has had no rice today. Or yesterday either.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

RoboRodent posted:

THAT YOU KNOW ABOUT

seeds? a lot of seeds probably smell like rice

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

mediaphage posted:

THAT YOU KNOW ABOUT

seeds? a lot of seeds probably smell like rice

I did give them a spray of millet this morning before I left for work.

I both love and fear the idea that they let themselves out of the cage, got into my rice and then closed themselves back up before I got home, though.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Good news! I visited my little magpie friend today and the thing around its foot has vanished! It must have fallen off or finally frayed apart last night or this morning, because it was still there yesterday. The little thing is still limping but appears to already have more use of that foot, and hopefully will recover more function.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

GotLag posted:

Good news! I visited my little magpie friend today and the thing around its foot has vanished! It must have fallen off or finally frayed apart last night or this morning, because it was still there yesterday. The little thing is still limping but appears to already have more use of that foot, and hopefully will recover more function.

This is terrific news! :3:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Even better, because I didn't have to grab it to fix its foot, I haven't destroyed all its trust in me and it still comes and settles down between my legs when I'm sitting on the grass :3:

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

:lol: I actually came in here today because Crows. The one I am particular friends with ("H") gave me a penny for his lunch yesterday and I thought Pookah would like that. :3:

More in line with that tweet, he also cawed really aggressively at a poor, like, ten year old girl that had the audacity to walk past me on the sidewalk a few minutes later. It's a public sidewalk H. It's not just our sidewalk. Please let the children use it.

H saw the girl brandishing a knife down the street and was protecting you.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

mediaphage posted:

in an attempt to cheer things up, i would like to introduce the new branch manager and the assistant branch manager:

what type of bird are those two branch managers?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Seem round to me

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Qubee posted:

Lineolated Parakeets I believe :kimchi:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Qubee posted:

Kitfox88 posted:

Seem round to me

both correct. linnies. flock animals in the wild and extremely social little guys.

my favourite thing is that i’ve worked out a few sounds and calls and taught them so that we can actually literally communicate. the biggest one is clicking of the tongue which replaced his contact call for humans; now we can click at each other as an accepted means of “hey this is me how are you?”

havin’ a corn

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Pesto’s way of communicating with me when he wants something is just to fly to me without like landing or he’ll perch somewhere in my line of sight and start bobbing and he begins with a call that sounds like “CHEE-wheeo-CHEE-wheeo”, which he picked up from Mayo.

It’s funny how budgies will use similar palettes of noises but create different sounds with them. Banane had his own unique little noises too. He loved it when I’d shake my morning Ensure, he’d dance around and make adorable cooing “brrrrreeeeeeyoo!” sound.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Hey birb thread, I need some advice.

Meet Teppence the cockatiel

And Tendie the budgie

Tendie is my wifes long term pet and we got Teppence as a companion for her after I moved in. She's a combative old budgie with a personal zone bubble extending several feet in every direction around her. She lived solo (barring my wife) for many years so this is understandable to some extent, she has her nice moments.

Teppence the cockatiel is extremely derpy and lovable and loves scritches and staring at his feet. He's great with people and is also absolutely obsessed with the budgie. She tolerates him.

Recently Tendie got a bit sick and we had to come to terms with the fact she's not always going to be around, and that Teppence will be devastated and also live a long life beyond her. She fully recovered thankfully and shows no signs of slowing down. But it really made us consider the future...

Enter Digby (12 weeks)

Digby is a very calm and gentle cockatiel, flying great already and is getting used to handling and the other birds.

Tendie doesn't seem to mind him that much as long as he's not too close but Teppence wants absolutely nothing to do with him. Will leave perches if he steps onto them and generally do everything he can to not be near the new birb.

He can get bitey if he ends up cornered but so far nothing serious has come of it. Digby has recently been following Teppence around and seemingly want to preen and interact with our derpy boy.

I know birds will be birds and pecking order is a thing but it has me concerned though that he will loose his sweet disposition if he's presented with nothing but rejection and attacks.

Teppence has never had another bird to preen him as the budgie is very much not into it and this behavior has been copied. Hissing and (not too serious) bites if the other bird is too close.

What can I do to try to encourage my old cockatiel to accept the new one? I know it's all still fairly recent but I want to establish decent behavior from the start so they can both get the love, scritches and preening they deserve.

Was doing some googling and saw suggestions of food or treat rewards while they are in eachothers presence but that's about the extent I've found so far.

Help me bird crazies thread, you're my only hope.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

wow, they are all such lovely birbs, honestly.

i think the food thing is sort of the sum of it. it's what we've been doing with alex and grace. most birbs tend to be understandably pretty food-motivated.

do they all have separate cages? i think a lot of this is just getting used to each other. when humans are little we can fight with people we ultimately become school friends with out of sheer time.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Yeah, I'd agree it's mostly a matter of time. They might never be the best of friends, but give them time.

And I'm talking months here.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Tendie is sooooo cute. I mean they all are but I love old cranky budgies. Of course, just of course they establish a love triangle right away. Peak bird.

Food turns Pesto into a bully. He love Mayo more than most things but if millet's in the picture, he stands super tall, extends his neck and puffs out his chest and tries to be a huge bird.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Food turns Pesto into a bully. He love Mayo more than most things but if millet's in the picture, he stands super tall, extends his neck and puffs out his chest and tries to be a huge bird.

Nutriberries makes these popcorn-rolled-in-seed treats and Ozzy loses his mind over them. He'll share a millet spray more or less peaceably, he'll take turns at the food dish, but he will murder his own mother rather than share them.

It's a problem, because generally the only thing I can get my birds to eat is Zupreem pellets, millet sprays, and my food, and every treat I buy or make for them gets snubbed, but giving them the popcorn treats turns Ozzy into an extremely territorial resource-guarding monster.

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

Scamp has a favorite treat now! Finally.
He was difficult to train when I had nothing to reward good behavior! Now that I can feed him a treat when he behaves, he’s quickly becoming more polite and affectionate.
(He’s even perching on my head again, just like when he was a baby!)

It’s been hard to have him hate me as he grew from an adolescent to a hen, but we’re turning a corner and I’m so happy! :3:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://i.imgur.com/U0ezHCG.mp4

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Thanks everyone, glad to know I'm on the right track at least.

They all do live together atm in bird palace

However we do have an isolation cage next to it for time outs.

As mentioned of course there is hints of a vague love triangle with the budgie who is more interested in her bells and fingernails then anything else.

I think I'll try to find some unique and special treat and only give it when the two cockatiels are out together.

Thanks for the kind words

Random image dump:

JG_Plissken
Oct 22, 2005

I went to a four year college and all I got was this stupid look on my face!

RoboRodent posted:

Is rice safe for them?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

JG_Plissken posted:

Is rice safe for them?

sure. most birds prefer it cooked, though, especially smaller types.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

JG_Plissken posted:

Is rice safe for them?

god, I hope so, because Sera keeps diving face-first into it every time I make some.

And then it gets stuck to his beak, and he shakes his head, and rice goes flying everywhere OH MY GOD.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

RoboRodent posted:

god, I hope so, because Sera keeps diving face-first into it every time I make some.

And then it gets stuck to his beak, and he shakes his head, and rice goes flying everywhere OH MY GOD.

sometimes i get very frustrated when the birbs keep eating pellets and crunching and half of every other pellet goes *ping* directly into my face

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

never forget: parrots have an instinct to throw food on the floor

https://www.forbes.com/sites/grrlscientist/2019/11/08/why-do-parrots-waste-most-of-what-you-feed-them/

the budgies will throw something to the ground and then stare at it! and they seem to enjoy scraping around for leftovers of their favorite foods! little weirdos

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Mayo likes to clear the bathroom counter by tossing everything she possibly can overboard, lmao.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Birb thread, I'm reporting in that we have another hummingbird mama making a nest on our patio lights! We have had this happen in the past so we are excited. Once we saw the nest being built, we reinforced the lights with gorilla tape.

Of course, mama ignored the birdhouse hanging on the patio closet door.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Kuros posted:

Birb thread, I'm reporting in that we have another hummingbird mama making a nest on our patio lights! We have had this happen in the past so we are excited. Once we saw the nest being built, we reinforced the lights with gorilla tape.

Smart mama hummingbird building a nest with a built-in incubator lamp.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Youth Decay posted:

Smart mama hummingbird building a nest with a built-in incubator lamp.

We don't use the lights that often.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

That's an interesting place for a nest, but lucky you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Kuros posted:

Birds :allears: