Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

mastershakeman posted:

Hunting boars for a tanning rack took forever and didn't unlock much, but I then went and destroyed the dumb deer boss

I think I spent more time building and rebuilding my little hut after a bad storm than anything else. Trying not to smoke yourself out with a fire inside is not easy

Build a fire on the ground then use 3 wood walls around it to build a chimney with a 45* roof piece. The smoke will vent out of that, then you can put 3 cooking stations on the fire and your bed next to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Kill entire squads of greydwarves, dozens of them at once. Slow day in the Black Forest.

Get done mopping up Greydwarf No. 34 and a little grayling feller that was watching the whole time ran in and clawed feebly at my troll hide armor

No little guy it’s not worth it, you aren’t going to get lucky and I’m not even winded

Nooooooo :smith:

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Warbird posted:

Second boss tips please tia. Solo just seems to be a war of attrition with flint arrows. Thinking about repurposing one of the abandoned stone towers into a siege/cheese platform.

Bronze shield, bronze sword. Get up in his face and chop chop chop. I was able to block his stomps fully with a level 2 bronze shield, and get in a good 3 hit combo afterwards. Run away from the roots and block the ranged attack, then retaliate with a fire arrow. Keep blocking until the roots die or he's not standing in them anymore and go back into melee. He's very predictable and I only died once to a really aggressive root spawn boxing me in.

Advice for all boss fights: Do not forget to build a portal nearby.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

mastershakeman posted:

Hunting boars for a tanning rack took forever and didn't unlock much, but I then went and destroyed the dumb deer boss

I think I spent more time building and rebuilding my little hut after a bad storm than anything else. Trying not to smoke yourself out with a fire inside is not easy

building a pseudo-chimney is very easy, actually

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I intended to only use the cheat mode to build projects but of course the allure is too strong. It gradually expanded to me thinking about making another arduous silver run and thinking why not just give myself a better pickaxe, why not just fly the ore home, why not just spawn silver ingots... I think I was mostly done with the game anyway but I definitely ruined it a bit for myself.

Don't look it up if you are still having fun with the game!

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I could probably just play this game sailing in storms for a good 10 hours before getting bored and wanting to do anything else

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Valheim is now one of only five games on Steam to ever reach 500k concurrent players.

Good luck joining the official discord channel too, because it has 100k players stuffed in there.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Was massively over-prepared for the first boss, we definitely could've taken it our first attempt to reach it earlier today if sea creature didn't eat out boat and us. Didn't get to use the sniper nest we built near summon spot.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
I seem to be going invisible after passing through a portal. Logging out and back in fixes it, but going through another portal makes it happen again. I'm like a dot grid model with my flashlight hat gem visible and my strongman belt visible.

So uh.. That happen to anyone else? Did dropping a third set of portals break my game or something?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

explosivo posted:

I intended to only use the cheat mode to build projects but of course the allure is too strong. It gradually expanded to me thinking about making another arduous silver run and thinking why not just give myself a better pickaxe, why not just fly the ore home, why not just spawn silver ingots... I think I was mostly done with the game anyway but I definitely ruined it a bit for myself.

Don't look it up if you are still having fun with the game!

I'm happy to cheat in basic wood and stone. Transporting ore is very fun to me. Seeing the topography change as I carve out routes is satisfying.

Cheating the Bonemass fight was necessary for my sanity.

Don't do it, otherwise. Shortcutting this game will take all the wonder out of it!

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Honestly we 2-manned the bonemass the first time and then poo poo housed it with four people the second. Poison resisg potions, iron mace/shield, turnip soup, sausage, fish. Bring some medium health and minor stam potions (like 6 of each) and you're golden. Make sure to stay on top of the blobs he throws.

It's also good to set up some wood spike walls before hand and have a nearby portal. The spike walls help protect you from any wandering draugr archers and etc during the fight.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
The only time I've had to use the console so far in this game was when I died after wandering a bit too close to some plains, and respawned at a bed in the mountains. Dumbass me didn't think to stock it with some food and cold resistance mead, and I couldn't make it out of the biome in time to reach my body before freezing to death. I feel like if you die you should have the option of either respawning at your designated bed or the ritual stones.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Drunk in Space posted:

The only time I've had to use the console so far in this game was when I died after wandering a bit too close to some plains, and respawned at a bed in the mountains. Dumbass me didn't think to stock it with some food and cold resistance mead, and I couldn't make it out of the biome in time to reach my body before freezing to death. I feel like if you die you should have the option of either respawning at your designated bed or the ritual stones.

You do. You can /resetspawn or some such. Unless that's what you meant by using the console.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Spanish Matlock posted:

Honestly we 2-manned the bonemass the first time and then poo poo housed it with four people the second. Poison resisg potions, iron mace/shield, turnip soup, sausage, fish. Bring some medium health and minor stam potions (like 6 of each) and you're golden. Make sure to stay on top of the blobs he throws.

It's also good to set up some wood spike walls before hand and have a nearby portal. The spike walls help protect you from any wandering draugr archers and etc during the fight.

Our first attempt failed because, among other things, a 2 star draugr archer started pot shotting people to death.

The second attempt we built the tree platform and shot him with like 300 frost arrows because gently caress that guy and the place he rode in on.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Spanish Matlock posted:

You do. You can /resetspawn or some such. Unless that's what you meant by using the console.

EDIT: I just realized you were talking about the chat. My bad. Good to know, thanks.

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Feb 22, 2021

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

(from reddit)

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Can someone tell me how to deal with uneven terrain? It feels like everywhere I go the ground says some level of "gently caress you" to the snap-to building system. What am I missing?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Drunk in Space posted:

I meant it should be a feature in the base game, not a console cheat. It's been a while since I played it, but I think Ark did something similar where you could either respawn at a bed or at a set point on the map, so you don't get stuck in a situation you can't recover from like I did. In my case, when I used the console I just god-moded it, since my body wasn't that far from my bed (just too far to not freeze to death sadly).

Yeah /resetspawn isn't so much a console cheat as a slash command. Same as the emotes and stuff. It doesn't require admin access or 'imacheater' and is just typed into the chat window rather than the console. I do agree that making it a button would be a good idea, or even just letting you choose between owned beds instead of setting a specific spawn bed.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Our first attempt failed because, among other things, a 2 star draugr archer started pot shotting people to death.

The second attempt we built the tree platform and shot him with like 300 frost arrows because gently caress that guy and the place he rode in on.

Yeah that's why the spike walls are important. You can just run them between trees to give yourself a solid wall to put your back against. In general I think the bonemass is the first real challenging boss and requires/rewards some preparation and forethought.

We kind of lucked out because we built a fire to cook up some meat for the first boss and he spawned on top of it and was set on fire which clued us in from the get go to 'oh hey we could totally prepare boss arenas.'

Let me tell you the Elder was a lot easier when he was stuck in a max depth trench.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Unlucky7 posted:

Can someone tell me how to deal with uneven terrain? It feels like everywhere I go the ground says some level of "gently caress you" to the snap-to building system. What am I missing?

The hoe can deal with minor terrain differences and flatten them out, for bigger ones you need to raise ground with the hoe or lower it with pickaxe.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Okay, finally managed to make a makeshift hut. It’s a crap hole but it’s mine.

Though it looks like you do not need a roof to sleep? Just a nearby fire is required? If so then that actually makes me feel less pressured to try to have a roof up by the first night

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Unless its raining or windy. That will make the fire go out.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
To protect any kind of fire from sputtering out due to weather, put a roof over it. Just make sure to place it high enough so the smoke doesn't gather start choking you to death. You can make simple chimneys out of wooden walls and they work perfectly.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Quill posted:

To protect any kind of fire from sputtering out due to weather, put a roof over it. Just make sure to place it high enough so the smoke doesn't gather start choking you to death. You can make simple chimneys out of wooden walls and they work perfectly.

You also have to worry about the smoke choking the fire to death. I find that two or three walls high works best.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Building a circular area for my portals and everything looks great

right up until I need to put a roof on it.

I hope the devs add more roof tiles at some point.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Spanish Matlock posted:

Yeah, this is good advice for bonemass.

It took us (a pair) three tries to get him since we had been ignoring health and stamina mead since natural regeneration had been plenty until this point. With bonemass you simply cannot do enough damage quickly enough without the health and stamina potions - his endless adds, poison AOEs and the constant rain effect will see to that.

Bonemass is just "consumables: The boss" - he's a gear check, really. If you have all the following you'll probably be fine:

1. Three good food items (we did sausage, jam and carrot soup, but anything on that level should be OK)
2. Poison resistance mead
3. Health mead
4. Stamina mead
5. Iron equipment, preferably mace and shield
6. Some arrows and a huntsman bow for if he's just sitting in a poison AOE or your health is low
7. The rested buff - put a portal nearby

When I didn't have number 3 and 4 the fight was basically impossible. When I had all seven, it was of middling difficulty only, it never felt like I was likely to lose.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
There's one dude with really lovely internet who insists on playing with us and every time he wants to do a boss it makes the boss teleport around/hit people when we can't see animations.

The whole netcode being reliant on the worst player there is kinda hilarious. Haven't seen anything like it in years.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I think playing on a dedicated server might alleviate that issue because then you won't have to rely on peer to peer with people with lovely internet?

Griz
May 21, 2001

Spanish Matlock posted:

You also have to worry about the smoke choking the fire to death. I find that two or three walls high works best.

I did this and it works perfectly (after moving the fire a bunch of times so all the smoke actually goes up the chimney)

the gap in the angled roof top piece doesn't seem to be enough for the smoke, thus the half-wall on the side

FrickenMoron posted:

I think playing on a dedicated server might alleviate that issue because then you won't have to rely on peer to peer with people with lovely internet?
I've been playing on a dedicated server and it still gets super laggy if everyone is in the same place

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

FrickenMoron posted:

We're on a dedicated server, but if you're in the same area with someone who has lovely internet, the server seems to wait on them so it fucks everyone else. As soon as he leaves the area everything works fine.

Griz posted:

the gap in the angled roof top piece doesn't seem to be enough for the smoke, thus the half-wall on the side

You need to half wall the top to get enough vent on the smoke.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Gort posted:

Yeah, this is good advice for bonemass.

It took us (a pair) three tries to get him since we had been ignoring health and stamina mead since natural regeneration had been plenty until this point. With bonemass you simply cannot do enough damage quickly enough without the health and stamina potions - his endless adds, poison AOEs and the constant rain effect will see to that.

Bonemass is just "consumables: The boss" - he's a gear check, really. If you have all the following you'll probably be fine:

1. Three good food items (we did sausage, jam and carrot soup, but anything on that level should be OK)
2. Poison resistance mead
3. Health mead
4. Stamina mead
5. Iron equipment, preferably mace and shield
6. Some arrows and a huntsman bow for if he's just sitting in a poison AOE or your health is low
7. The rested buff - put a portal nearby

When I didn't have number 3 and 4 the fight was basically impossible. When I had all seven, it was of middling difficulty only, it never felt like I was likely to lose.

Don't forget tasty mead (or maybe that's what you mean by stamina mead). It's an extremely good boost to stamina regen and does not have the 2 minute cooldown that the minor stamina mead gives you. It does slightly nerf your health regen for 10 seconds or so, so don't use it if you're seriously hurt.

Bonemass is basically all about poison resistance and add control, or to be cheap it's about building a tree house and cheesing with frost arrows.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I meant "Minor stamina mead" but that tasty mead sounds worth checking out

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Gort posted:

The minor stamina mead is basically a mana potion for your stamina with a cooldown period, the tasty mead will buff your natural stamina regeneration by 300% for a while.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Gort posted:

I can’t say I’m a fan of tasty mead. It’s good for when you’re running around in a safe area collecting berries or mining or something but the hit to your health regen makes it too risky to use on a boss fight. Stick with the dedicated health & stamina meads for boss fights

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

The second boss was a whole ocean away. I built a raft and set (very slow) sail. I ended up on an island at the halfway point and decided to go crazy with my building there, reasoning that I'd build a portal at some point. After 7 hours gathering and looting I can finally make copper gear. Only problem is there's not a single copper vein in the black forest island I'm on. Plenty of tin, but zero copper. Oh well, it's only a super long voyage to the next island with a raft. When do I get better boats?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Untrustable posted:

The second boss was a whole ocean away. I built a raft and set (very slow) sail. I ended up on an island at the halfway point and decided to go crazy with my building there, reasoning that I'd build a portal at some point. After 7 hours gathering and looting I can finally make copper gear. Only problem is there's not a single copper vein in the black forest island I'm on. Plenty of tin, but zero copper. Oh well, it's only a super long voyage to the next island with a raft. When do I get better boats?

As soon as you have bronze you can get better boats. And are you sure you didnt overlook them? The copper ores can really blend into the environment.

Also I found an altar for the third boss by accident, didn't even have to find a runestone. I think it's neat there are multiple of them.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

The island is on the small side. I found 2 burial chambers, 1 troll cave, a ton of tin, but no copper anywhere. I went wandering around with my pick and checked all the rocks before heading to the other island. I got enough copper ore to make 1 bronze and build a forge. I saw nails were an option, but no boat.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The boat needs 80 bronze nails, you have to create them first. it also requires fine wood so you need a bronze axe to cut it down first or bait trolls into doing the work for you.

Edit: If your world / spawn is that bad you might just want to jump ship into a different seed/world. My world generated a huge initial landmass that has all 5 biomes though i only found one swamp crypt so far...

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

The boat needs 80 bronze nails, you have to create them first. it also requires fine wood so you need a bronze axe to cut it down first or bait trolls into doing the work for you.

You can do it yourself without a bronze axe or messing about with trolls if you push beech logs up a slope and then let them roll down into the birch. Since the boat needs bronze for the nails anyway i wouldn't bother doing that for the boat specifically, but I DID do it to get the finewood bow a little bit early.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I'll sail over to the island that has copper, mine a bunch, go back to my small island, make a bronze axe, make nails, get fine wood, then build a portal, then go back to the copper island (also it's where the second boss is) and build another portal that connects, and then build a secondary base, because building is fun. At some point I may even fight the second boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Untrustable posted:

I'll sail over to the island that has copper, mine a bunch, go back to my small island, make a bronze axe, make nails, get fine wood, then build a portal, then go back to the copper island (also it's where the second boss is) and build another portal that connects, and then build a secondary base, because building is fun. At some point I may even fight the second boss.

Pretty much what I did once I found the 2nd boss altar. I moved close to it and built a second, bigger base there and since it was a black forest with plenty of resources I made it my main base. Now I'm far away from other resources though... or maybe i just need to sail south and check out the area.