Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

My initial thought when someone brought up how low the power generation of the game's Dyson spheres are in real world terms is that the easy fix would just be to bump all the numbers up an SI unit. Kilowatt buildings become megawatt buildings, megawatt generators become gigawatt generators, and gigawatt Dyson spheres become terawatt Dyson spheres. It'd still be far from realistic, but it'd bump the numbers out of power values people encounter in their daily lives while still using SI prefixes that see daily use.

One of the less tangible things to improve on is how the game communicates the scale it's operating on. The universe is shrunk down, but the player is a mech the size of a large tree bulldozing mountains to build towering factory buildings connected by highway-sized conveyor belts. I think most people don't realize the game is operating on a much more massive scale than Factorio/Satisfactory until dozens of hours in (and this is unconnected to space travel, as people are used to the idea of scaled-down planets like in Super Mario Galaxy). The challenge isn't realism but shifting the player from "the stars and star systems are unrealistically small compared to the size of the player and planets" to "the player and planets are unrealistically large compared to the size of the stars and star systems", i.e. from "everything is small" to "everything looks small to the kind of civilization that builds Dyson spheres"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

In the start the game mentions that you have to get used to the rules of this universe so I guess you could just say that you’re surfing the multiverse for places you can harvest energy from. That would also explain why you are researching things that are already “known” by civilization.

I guess I’m just satisfied that the game is fun.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Smiling Demon posted:

2) I'm not sure if it is possible to achieve the theoretical 0.3/s hydrogen to deuterium conversion with fractionators. There is some serious flickering with the icons on the building. There may be some processing tick interactions that prevent the maximum conversion rate from occurring.

Yeah, I noticed some weird inefficiencies that occur in some processes when you start to scale things up, especially when you start to use a single belt. Like according to the numbers you should be able to run 30 units/sec of something on a T3 belt, but I found that the actual number seemed to be closer to 28 and going any higher than that tended to start causing log jams in certain areas. I assume that this is because certain parts on the line are getting in the way of others (even with separators built in), or possibly some other issue where the game can't quite keep up. As such, instead of trying to troubleshoot the issue, I just limited belts to 28 units/sec and went with that number for everything.

Edit:

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

In the start the game mentions that you have to get used to the rules of this universe so I guess you could just say that you’re surfing the multiverse for places you can harvest energy from. That would also explain why you are researching things that are already “known” by civilization.

I guess I’m just satisfied that the game is fun.

Yeah, I like this explanation. One of my first thoughts when playing the game was basically "what, you couldn't just cram the GUT and how to build rockets and poo poo into my consciousness before I left full gay space communism utopia?". Though I guess the joke's on them because they're only getting a few gigawatts per star out of this particular universe.

I can just see a group of simulated science consciences sitting around a table with their heads in their hands like "Oh my god it took more energy to open a rift in space-time and send their rocket through than we will ever get from all of these spheres combined. We are never going to financially recover from this."

GENUINE CAT HERDER fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 22, 2021

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Bug Squash posted:

I mean, if there's one thing to criticise then it would be reweighing the same atom of hydrogen until you find you made a mistake the last 99 times, oops there is an extra neutron, and it was actually deuterium all along. The realistic version would have you only able to fractionate once.

But you will claw my fractionator loops out of my cold dead hands.
I don't want realism in cases where it hurts game mechanics. Just in cases where it'd be cool/fun in-game.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

They’re keeping the energy output low to keep game balance. If you want an in game explanation just assume they’re sending most of the energy generated by the sphere back to the simulation you came from, since that’s the reason you’re building in the first place.
How does it impact game balance? Am I missing some critical mechanic of the sphere? Also, the sphere is the "end" so if it gave you infinite power in one system what difference does it make?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Khorne posted:

How does it impact game balance? Am I missing some critical mechanic of the sphere? Also, the sphere is the "end" so if it gave you infinite power in one system what difference does it make?

You start building the sphere way the gently caress before the end of the game, and power is basically the only constraint you're under once you unlock warpers.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I roughly automated making some warper and I went on my first few flights....I end up running out of energy in my mech halfway to the next system and have to wait forever to get enough juice to boost and still have to wait forever. Then I get to the new system and no oil, no coal....sure I can do fireice but so far the 2 systems I've visited have been really lacking, also only 2 non gas planets only. I keep expecting new biomes and more larger planets but I keep getting worse systems than my home system.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Khorne posted:

I want to be the physics consultant for the devs so I can get rid some of the tech tree tooltips & change dyson sphere power from ~10^10 to ~10^26 watts. Thanks in advance devs. While you're at it, a 2.5x power bonus for the biggest o-type is pathetic add a zero or two to the end there.

but seriously, this game would be 100x cooler if the developers knew more about physics because the real version of any of this game is way cooler than the game which is already cool

The one thing I dislike is that you can encapsulate a star more than once and the power rating is based on the diameter of the sphere. On some level it makes sense that you can make two spheres around a star, a lot of light is still escaping the sphere so that means a lot of energy is too, but making the sphere bigger shouldn't really increase the power output.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

LifeSunDeath posted:

I roughly automated making some warper and I went on my first few flights....I end up running out of energy in my mech halfway to the next system and have to wait forever to get enough juice to boost and still have to wait forever. Then I get to the new system and no oil, no coal....sure I can do fireice but so far the 2 systems I've visited have been really lacking, also only 2 non gas planets only. I keep expecting new biomes and more larger planets but I keep getting worse systems than my home system.

My strategy was to save my game and then start scouting - since until you upgrade to Core 5 you can only get about 7.5LY per tank of gas (Core 5 you get like 15LY) so I would scout a system out and write it down in notepad. Once I either ran out of warpers or wanted to scout the area on the opposite side, I reloaded my save. After scouting was done in the immediate area and I knew where I wanted to build, I reloaded one last time and then took off to that system. The first system I went to was 25LY away (so four jumps, ugh) and it was just one uninteresting ball of rock orbiting a blue giant with no rare resources.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

LifeSunDeath posted:

OH poo poo THEY HAVE SULFURIC ACID OCEANS?????? This game keeps making me frustrated when I want to explore but also keeps giving me a reason to. Great poo poo. Also my starter system sucks tbh, but I don't want to start over, I just have this feeling somewhere out there is a great system.

You can find some nice planets if you explore a bit.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Well, the good news is hydrogen is no longer backing up fire ice production on the Dyson sphere system now that the rockets are online. The bad news is now graphene is backing up the fire ice instead, and fully exploiting the local ice giant somehow still isn't anywhere close to making up the difference. Hooray!

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Sandweed posted:

Is there any room to build with the amount of nodes on this planet or are they all SUPER NODES?

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Admiral Ray posted:

The one thing I dislike is that you can encapsulate a star more than once and the power rating is based on the diameter of the sphere. On some level it makes sense that you can make two spheres around a star, a lot of light is still escaping the sphere so that means a lot of energy is too, but making the sphere bigger shouldn't really increase the power output.

I was wondering about this too, but then just figured that maybe the sails have a maximum absorption rate/m^2 or something (which also explains the transparency).

GENUINE CAT HERDER fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 22, 2021

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Admiral Ray posted:

This could be explained as the sphere leaking lots of power.

So could the multi-shell thing working.

You could also explain larger spheres giving more power by the materials/method used being inefficient in some way and hitting a limit and needing more area as a result.

There are lots of good physical explanations for most of the mechanics of the sphere.

Zurai posted:

You start building the sphere way the gently caress before the end of the game, and power is basically the only constraint you're under once you unlock warpers.
I started building it at the end of the game when I already multiple GW power on a few planets. I didn't even launch swarms before then. I'm doing it wrong!! Except power is real easy to get from solar/wind/deut and I vastly overestimated the resources needed for the sphere.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 22, 2021

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Vasudus posted:

My strategy was to save my game and then start scouting - since until you upgrade to Core 5 you can only get about 7.5LY per tank of gas (Core 5 you get like 15LY) so I would scout a system out and write it down in notepad. Once I either ran out of warpers or wanted to scout the area on the opposite side, I reloaded my save. After scouting was done in the immediate area and I knew where I wanted to build, I reloaded one last time and then took off to that system. The first system I went to was 25LY away (so four jumps, ugh) and it was just one uninteresting ball of rock orbiting a blue giant with no rare resources.

Ok I just noticed that I could have been researching the next tier of universe exploration skill, so that will help a lot. I'm on mech core 4 and it only gets me about 2.5-3LY in one jump. But I'll be able to see much farther with the exploration upgrade.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

I was wondering about this too, but then just figured that maybe the sails have a maximum absorption rate/m^2 or something (which also explains the transparency).

Okay, I'm quoting myself, but I'm just wondering now if building multiple spheres around a star causes it to actually appear dimmer? Because that would actually be a really cool thing if the devs thought to do that.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Khorne posted:

This could be explained as the sphere leaking lots of power.

So could the multi-shell thing working.

You could also explain larger spheres giving more power by the materials used being inefficient in some way and needing more area to process more of the raw power of the star.

There are lots of good physical implementations for most of the mechanics of the sphere. Even it giving low power could be because it takes so much power to maintain and it's inefficient.
I started building it at the end of the game when I already multiple GW power on a few planets. I didn't even launch swarms before then. I'm doing it wrong!! Except power is real easy to get from solar/wind/deut.

I expected it to be way more expensive than it was. I saw lots of people saying how long it takes to build or how it wrecked their supply chains, but then when I built it I didn't even use my full production capacity. The only thing that took a long time is using the planner which is way too time consuming. They should really add some pre-builts to it.

It definitely leaks lots of power. I dunno if you ever flew up close to the solar sails but those fuckers are basically paper thin. Really we're making a giant paper candle lantern in the sky, not a proper dyson sphere that would turn all planets in the system into ice worlds if they are on the wrong side of it.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Athanatos posted:

Is there any room to build with the amount of nodes on this planet or are they all SUPER NODES?

You can always pave over resource nodes you don't want.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Admiral Ray posted:

It definitely leaks lots of power. I dunno if you ever flew up close to the solar sails but those fuckers are basically paper thin. Really we're making a giant paper candle lantern in the sky, not a proper dyson sphere that would turn all planets in the system into ice worlds if they are on the wrong side of it.
It's leaking all its power!

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Athanatos posted:

It's just a regular planet with the nodes having maybe 1 or 2 extra veins.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Sandweed posted:

When you look at these planet info cards, how can you tell if something is tidal locked? Is it orbital and rotation period being identical?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

nerox posted:

When you look at these planet info cards, how can you tell if something is tidal locked? Is it orbital and rotation period being identical?

Tidal locked planets will say so with the bold orange text.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sandweed posted:

how high is your resource multiplier?

For people on white cubes, How many Ray Receivers do I need to have on photon mode to get a decent amount of antimatter? Is their generation speed based on how much energy the sphere (or in my case still, a swarm) is sending out?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Khorne posted:

It's leaking all its power!

drat thing is just a Dyson Colander.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Khorne posted:

I want to be the physics consultant for the devs so I can get rid some of the tech tree tooltips & change dyson sphere power from ~10^10 to ~10^26 watts. Thanks in advance devs. While you're at it, a 2.5x power bonus for the biggest o-type is pathetic add a zero or two to the end there.

but seriously, this game would be 100x cooler if the developers knew more about physics because the real version of any of this game is way cooler than the game which is already cool

I think it's reasonable given that DSP takes place in a tiny universe with tiny planets.

Lowen fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 22, 2021

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

It's actually a matrioska brain project. It all makes sense now :tinfoil:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Jarmak posted:

You can always pave over resource nodes you don't want.
I think they mean the opposite — if a patch has, say, a dozen nodes in it you can only jam maybe 6-7 miners around it. Whether that patch has a million or a hundred million ore doesn’t matter as far as throughput goes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've gone from millimeter adjustments on rotation to try and capture just one more node to "If I can get a full belt, that's enough"

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I really wish drawing a t-intersection with mixed belts did not downgrade the intersection point to whatever the merging line is. Accidentally throttled a few mines that way.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Dr. Stab posted:

I really wish drawing a t-intersection with mixed belts did not downgrade the intersection point to whatever the merging line is. Accidentally throttled a few mines that way.

Just use T3 belts always, problem solved!

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
For the love of god remember to upgrade your ships to use warps before you set up large operations in another galaxy with no way to ship it home

It's really easy to tech to warp, and forget to upgrade your drive engine as well.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

zoux posted:

I've gone from millimeter adjustments on rotation to try and capture just one more node to "If I can get a full belt, that's enough"

I just build another miner and link the belts now. Especially on planets where I'm just setting up a quick fire and forget ore/crystal/whatever mining operation. I recently flew out to my neutron star and just dropped a bunch of miners on the unipolar magnet veins then surrounded them with wind turbines until the grid turned blue.

Roundboy posted:

For the love of god remember to upgrade your ships to use warps before you set up large operations in another galaxy with no way to ship it home

It's really easy to tech to warp, and forget to upgrade your drive engine as well.

Also be careful not to uncheck the "require warp" box if you don't want to lose your ships for a literal day's worth of time...:negative:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Admiral Ray posted:

You could handwave it by saying that the solar cells have a fairly hard limit on the amount of energy they can capture without melting or whatever, so they work best at low energy densities.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'd been dreading the equatorial solar belt but after my power keeps dropping out because my hydrogen system gets clogged up and stops feeding my thermals, but with god mode on it's a piece of cake. As soon as you put one down it automatically moves to the next space, the whole thing took me maybe 10 minutes. As someone whose experience with these types of games is simcity and minecraft, the ease/speed at which this game lets you build things (and take things down) is great.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

zoux posted:

I'd been dreading the equatorial solar belt but after my power keeps dropping out because my hydrogen system gets clogged up and stops feeding my thermals, but with god mode on it's a piece of cake. As soon as you put one down it automatically moves to the next space, the whole thing took me maybe 10 minutes. As someone whose experience with these types of games is simcity and minecraft, the ease/speed at which this game lets you build things (and take things down) is great.

Yup. It takes a bit of time to set up but it's super easy...provided you use God Mode.

I've taken to instead of doing a solid ring of solar panels 3 (or however many) panels wide I've been adding windmills to it. Takes a bit longer to set up but 2 solar panels is the perfect distance between two windmills and means there's a small bit of the ring that's always giving power even before you get the ring more than 50% around the planet. So I make rings of 8 panels and then come back and slap windmills into the space. It works really well on desert planets with their bonus to wind power.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
I have declared war on the sun.

An equatorial belt of railguns flanked by solar panels. I like how the railguns track the star with malicious intent

having a lot of fun with this game, about to break into green cubes and start devouring other nearby star systems. My home planet is looking pretty busy

Equatorial solar belts have carried me pretty far. I haven't bothered making any thermal power plants at all -- didn't need them. Fusion is a nice stopgap until you get big boy energy going.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I've gotten all the way to the end of the tech tree (about to start making white) on solar and wind power. The only thermal plant I have is the one you get from the tech research.

My outposts I just slam down a row of solar and it's more than enough to mine and ship back home.

It's finally starting to limit me, but I've got a dyson sphere started to take over in the near future.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

As we learned here in Texas last week, thermal power generation isn't reliable. Of course that wasn't because ERCOT got all their hydrogen jammed behind a single graphite cube because they put a sorter in backwards.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Relying fully on oil/hydrogen generation was giving me quite a problem for a few hours around the 20-30 hour mark where I was constantly riding the "if my power production lowers my fuel output also drops accelerating the power drop spiral"

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Thermal power after the initial opening phase of dumping coal into them should really be used as nothing more than an overflow dump. Fusion should be the backbone of your power grids until late game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
It would probably make the game too easy but it would be cool if you could unlock a sort of building dock or frame or something that let you build unstackable buildings in upwards cuboid sets.

The frames could feature a single input port for raw materials and and output port for the produced good too. Kind of like an evolution to sorters in the same way logistics are an evolution to conveyor belts.