Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

aphid_licker posted:

It's kinda funny that Brezhnev died at 75yo while Biden is 78, Mitch McConnell is 79 and Pelosi is 80.

Yeah, although obviously the life expectancy and healthy life expectancy have gone up over time. But it's also amazing how Brezhnev got along that long given his life habits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Nenonen posted:

WW2, the sinking of Royal Oak. Two U-boots did try to slink in during WW1 but they failed.

But Royal Oak wasn't protected by a destroyer screen (just barrages of blockships, booms and nets operated by tugs and a few patrolling trawlers, motor launches and requisitioned yachts inside the Flow) and the newsreel doubly-qualifies its statement by saying that the Barham was the only RN battleship sunk at sea by a German submarine. Ignoring other RN capital ships sunk by U-boats and battleships sunk bt other forms of enemy action, of course...

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

Yeah, although obviously the life expectancy and healthy life expectancy have gone up over time. But it's also amazing how Brezhnev got along that long given his life habits.

Just imagine the spine damage from wearing all those medals.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ensign Expendable posted:

Just imagine the spine damage from wearing all those medals.

He'll need a medal for suffering through wearing all those medals. Just like Captain Parmenter from F Troop.

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013

Snowy posted:

I posted this in the sagas thread but that 91 year old goon definitely deserves his own thread, I think a lot of people would be interested.

Also here’s something my dad found at an auction, I had no idea what it was but the Japanese thread helped determine that it’s a bomb timer.

Not certain, but I believe either that text is upside down or this is meant to be mounted on your ceiling as some kind of dark humor.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Presumably mounted on a vertical surface at or below chest level

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Taerkar posted:

Akin to how a lot of the success of the US TD units being training focused on fighting other armored vehicles.

Exactly, or how the gun stabilizer on the Sherman was disabled by many crews, who found it unreliable or unhelpful... except for those in the 3rd Armored Division and 753rd Tank Battalion, who were trained in its use and reported a high level of effectiveness with it.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Effective-Disorder posted:

Not certain, but I believe either that text is upside down or this is meant to be mounted on your ceiling as some kind of dark humor.

It's possible that the character order is weird because Japanese changed a lot since WWII but it looks like the characters are in the right order but individually upside down, since 軍事秘密 is "military secret" but afaik 密秘事軍 doesn't mean anything.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Tulip posted:

It's possible that the character order is weird because Japanese changed a lot since WWII but it looks like the characters are in the right order but individually upside down, since 軍事秘密 is "military secret" but afaik 密秘事軍 doesn't mean anything.

Horizontal right-to-left script would've been common during that period.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Space Gopher posted:

Semi-informed guesswork:

What they're talking about is probably a very small amount of explosive, something akin to the primer in a rifle cartridge. That wouldn't be enough to do a ton of damage by itself, but it could easily blow a bullet that's already hitting something into fragments, and fragmented bullets are typically deadlier than whole ones (something that modern small arms ammo does through sheer velocity rather than any kind of chemical explosive effect). And, it's still plenty dangerous to a surgeon who might need to put their fingers right up on the little bit of explosive in a dud - we're talking "lose a couple of fingertips" level injury here, but that's still enough to end a surgeon's career. "Shrapnel" here is being used in the generic sense of "small jagged bits of metal" rather than the specific Shrapnel shell design.

How did they manage to fire the bullets without them detonating in the barrel? If they don’t have a fuse then they need something stronger than the force of the gun to set them off, right?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Impacting a hard surface is more force than being fired, right?
Presumably if it did detonate early the barrel would contain it (since its such a small amount of weak explosive).

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If' the explosive is in the tip of the bullet I don't think the force of the gun firing would set it off, and then it would go off when it hits the target? I have no idea I'm not a physicist

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Snowy posted:

I posted this in the sagas thread but that 91 year old goon definitely deserves his own thread, I think a lot of people would be interested.

Also here’s something my dad found at an auction, I had no idea what it was but the Japanese thread helped determine that it’s a bomb timer.

Please don't make me look this up.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

The Lone Badger posted:

Impacting a hard surface is more force than being fired, right?
Presumably if it did detonate early the barrel would contain it (since its such a small amount of weak explosive).

"Oops, guess you're firing a shotgun."

Gaius Marius posted:

If' the explosive is in the tip of the bullet I don't think the force of the gun firing would set it off, and then it would go off when it hits the target? I have no idea I'm not a physicist

What's so frustrating is that there's so little information about the bullets, no diagrams or anything. Where was the explosive? What shape was the bullet?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think I saw reference to Mercury Fulminate being the explosive.

Frankly I kinda suspect the answer is "these things didn't really work". Or at least, not reliably.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

MikeCrotch posted:

Didn't a U-boat torpedo something in Scapa Flow in WWI?

WW2, U-47 torpedoed HMS Royal Oak.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

White Coke posted:

What's so frustrating is that there's so little information about the bullets, no diagrams or anything. Where was the explosive? What shape was the bullet?

If you do some searching for "explosive musket ball" you can turn up some information on similar developments in the US around the same time, like the Gardiner musket shell during the ACW.

From what I can tell, this was basically a Minie ball-like projectile with a fulminate mixture as the bursting charge inside. It had a small opening at the base filled with a slower burning powder mixture to act as the fuse. The projectile would then explode a second or two after firing. It doesn't seem like these were tremendously reliable.

From the Wikipedia article, I'm guessing the Russian developments followed a similar line, but they apparently figured out how to make them explode on impact before long. You can find cutaways of WWII-era explosive ammo, and I suspect the basic design principles for these could have been similar:

This is a lot of conjecture in absence of actual information, mind you.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I've read a few reports that Austro-Hungarian troops supposedly used exploding bullets in Serbia in WW1. A quick google turned up this diagram:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Kind of amazed that that stands up to the stress of being fired. Then again a cylinder is a p stable configuration

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Please don't make me look this up.

Ok, and I was misremembering, it’s a fuze not a timer

http://www.inert-ord.net/jap02h/bombfuze/index.html

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Helter Skelter posted:

If you do some searching for "explosive musket ball" you can turn up some information on similar developments in the US around the same time, like the Gardiner musket shell during the ACW.

From what I can tell, this was basically a Minie ball-like projectile with a fulminate mixture as the bursting charge inside. It had a small opening at the base filled with a slower burning powder mixture to act as the fuse. The projectile would then explode a second or two after firing. It doesn't seem like these were tremendously reliable.

From the Wikipedia article, I'm guessing the Russian developments followed a similar line, but they apparently figured out how to make them explode on impact before long. You can find cutaways of WWII-era explosive ammo, and I suspect the basic design principles for these could have been similar:

This is a lot of conjecture in absence of actual information, mind you.
I remember some goof-rear end Anarchist Cookbook thing encouraging you to drill holes in the front of your rounds and put in plastic explosive to create explosive bullets. Same energy. Were these supposed to hit a guy and blow a hole in them? Mini-shrapnels?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Drilling a hole in the tip of the bullet is a way to make improvised hollowpoints. Can gently caress up your ballistics though because you probably won't get it precisely centered and precisely square.

As far as I know there are no true explosive rounds currently in service below .50 calibre. Smaller than that and it just isn't worth it for the tiny amount of explosive power you get.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Anarchists Cookbook had advice on filing bullets to increase damage, which always seemed risky to me, and I know nothing about guns.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Tias posted:

Anarchists Cookbook had advice on filing bullets to increase damage, which always seemed risky to me, and I know nothing about guns.

Likewise, but I'd assume that if doing stuff like that was actually worthwhile, they'd do it at the factory instead of leaving it to Joe Schmoe and his screwdriver.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Nessus posted:

I remember some goof-rear end Anarchist Cookbook thing encouraging you to drill holes in the front of your rounds and put in plastic explosive to create explosive bullets. Same energy. Were these supposed to hit a guy and blow a hole in them? Mini-shrapnels?

quote:

B - Beobachtung ("observation") — The German Luftwaffe 10.85 grams (167.4 gr) B (Beobachtung—"observation") high-explosive incendiary ball bullets contained phosphorus and "had a pellet in it which exploded on contact with any target, however frail".[22] The projectile featured an internal floating firing pin mechanism that automatically armed during firing and detonates a small capsule of tetryl which in turn ignites the white phosphorus in the nose of the projectile during sudden deceleration producing a clearly observable amount of flash and smoke. It had a muzzle velocity of 800 m/s (2,625 ft/s) and an operating pressure of 300 MPa (43,511 psi).[24] The B bullet was like any other high-explosive or incendiary bullet, illegal for anti-personnel use according to the Saint Petersburg Declaration and Hague Conventions. "The Germans maintained that it was used mainly for observation and range-finding, but observers report having seen them in rifle clips and machine gun belts".[22] Often this round was used to set vehicles and aircraft on fire.[24] The regular German infantry units were not allowed to use this round; however German snipers on the Eastern Front were permitted by Adolf Hitler in February 1945 to use these rounds that caused horrendous wounds as the projectiles tended to detonate after 100 to 130 millimetres (3.9 to 5.1 in) penetration in human tissue. Karabiner 98k service rifles handled these cartridges without issues.[37] This cartridge can be recognised by the black primer sealant, yellow bullet. This ammunition was also produced in a B-v high-velocity or "v" ammunition variant that added 110 m/s (361 ft/s) muzzle velocity to the normal B variant.[36]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.92%C3%9757mm_Mauser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXaaybiRiYY

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Feb 22, 2021

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Gort posted:

Likewise, but I'd assume that if doing stuff like that was actually worthwhile, they'd do it at the factory instead of leaving it to Joe Schmoe and his screwdriver.

The assumption given was that the state probably did it already with their own goons, and you'd just level the playing field.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Tulip posted:

Sorry I know this isn't technically Milhist but I was totally unaware of this and so would like to know more.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The Anarchist Cookbook is revolution fanfiction written by an edgy teenager.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

https://youtu.be/AXaaybiRiYY

Pretty good video about WWII era explosive bullets used by the Soviets and Germans. Even uses the sample picture someone posted earlier

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
ISU-122 front line impressions

Queue: T-80 T-62 T-64 T-72A comparative trials, German additional tank protection (zimmerit, schurzen, track links), Winter and swamp tracks, Paper light tank destroyers, Allied intel on the Maus , Summary of French interbellum tank development, Medium Tank T20, Medium Tank T23, Myths of Soviet tank building, GMC M10, Tiger II predecessors, Pz.Kpfw.IV Ausf.H-J,IS-6, SU-101/SU-102/Uralmash-1, Centurion Mk.I, SU-100 front line impressions, IS-2 front line impressions, Myths of Soviet tank building: early Great Patriotic War, Influence of the T-34 on German tank building, Medium Tank T25, Heavy Tank T26/T26E1/T26E3, Career of Harry Knox, GMC M36, Geschützwagen Tiger für 17cm K72 (Sf), Early Early Soviet tank development (MS-1, AN Teplokhod), Career of Semyon Aleksandrovich Ginzburg, AT-1, Object 140, SU-76 frontline impressions, Creation of the IS-3, IS-6, SU-5, Myths of Soviet tank building: 1943-44, IS-2 post-war modifications, Myths of Soviet tank building: end of the Great Patriotic War, Medium Tank T6, RPG-1, Lahti L-39, American tank building plans post-war, German tanks for 1946, HMC M7 Priest, GMC M12, GMC M40/M43, ISU-152, AMR 35 ZT, Soviet post-war tank building plans, T-100Y and SU-14-1, Object 430, Pz.Kpfw.35(t), T-60 tanks in combat, SU-76M modernizations, Panhard 178, 15 cm sFH 13/1 (Sf), 43M Zrínyi, Medium Tank M46, Modernization of the M48 to the M60 standard, German tank building trends at the end of WW2, Pz.Kpfw.III/IV, E-50 and E-75 development, Pre-war and early war British tank building,

Available for request (others' articles):

:ussr:
Shashmurin's career
BT-7M/A-8 trials
Voroshilovets tractor trials
T-55 underwater driving equipment
T-26-6 (SU-26)
T-64's composite armour

:911:
Light Tank T37
Light Tank T41

:godwin:
Oerlikon and Solothurn anti-tank rifles
Evolution of German tank observation devices

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

What does this mean?

quote:

"Due to radical simplification of the traverse mechanism a backlash forms after the first few shots."

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
No idea, maybe the traverse mechanism gears used to be made out of a better alloy or the old design relieved stress on them better.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Fangz posted:

What does this mean?

That firing the gun makes the turret traverse loose/suffer from backlash.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Alchenar posted:

Sorry I know this isn't technically Milhist but I was totally unaware of this and so would like to know more.

Japanese adopted writing horizontal text from left to right, yokogaki (横書き), as part of modernization language reforms. Japanese is often written vertically and still read from right to left in that instance though, hence why Japanese books are reversed relative to those written in languages that go from left to right. You will often see right to left horizontal orientation in temple and old timey signs though.

Chinese used to do this as well but after 1949 went over to primarily horizonal writing, from left to right. Most Chinese speaking areas outside the PRC gradually adopted these changes too.

It's my understanding that Korean is mostly done vertically still but has horizontal text written from left to right.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Alchenar posted:

I am not an expert in this, I just have some very crude workmanlike Japanese from studying it for a few years, but the most basic summary is that Japanese has changed so much since WWII that I basically consider anything pre-1950 or so to just be completely outside of my grasp.

To go a little more in detail, the first thing to understand is that Japanese, like French and unlike English, has an official language bureau that hands down rulings on what is or is not correct Japanese (The Japanese Language Division of the Agency for Cultural Affairs).

A little more well known is that Japanese uses a mixed writing system - a sentence could very easily contain letters in kanji (the big ideograms that people tend to think of), romaji (aka the roman alphabet), and both katakana and hiragana (Japanese syllaberies, without too much detail katakana tends to indicate that a word is a loan word and hiragana is used for grammar, there's enough wrinkles to fill an entire generation of PhD theses so lets leave it at that), so 4 writing sets can be in play, 5 if you count Arabic numerals.

Today katakana and hiragana are very standardized - there are 46 characters each, with very predictable pronunciations that correspond pretty closely to spoken Japanese at pretty close to 1-to-1. None of that was even proposed until 1900 and major reforms only started in 1923, with the standard used today starting post WWII.

Kanji are...a much more complicated matter, since kanji have a pretty heavy amount of 1-to-many meanings and pronunciations. Kanji reform comes up a lot, there's even been some historical movements toward total abolition, as it currently stands though kanji are just highly regulated. The initial post WW2 move was toward reducing the number of kanji, but this has reversed since the 80s and the number of 'legal' kanji has gone up (generally attributed to electronic word processors and computers making it much easier to use kanji than having them actually memorized yourself). However my point is that pre-1945 or so, the number and meanings of kanji are much more complicated than since then.

This just concerns writing. I have not heard/talked to too many people who learned Japanese pre-war, but I've found it completely incomprehensible, though that may be as much due to rural accents as anything else.

Oh also Japanese has a truly radical degree of homophones - English has a single 7 meaning homophone (raise, rays, rase, raze, rehs, res, reais), while Japanese has at least one 22 meaning homophone that I can think of (kiko). Combined with the 1-to-many aspect of kanji, it used to be something of a tradition to name your babies with utterly baroque puns. This is now illegal but sometimes you meet old folks with incomprehensible names.

e: This is also not totally irrelevant to milhistory since some of the move to abolish kanji was encouraged by Douglas MacArthur as Supreme Commander of Allied Powers post war. Unsurprisingly this side of the politics favored the all-romaji solution.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Fangz posted:

The Anarchist Cookbook is revolution fanfiction written by an edgy teenager.

I thought you were joking, but it turns out that this is true; the author was in his teens when it was first written 20 when it was published.

Link.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Tulip posted:

it used to be something of a tradition to name your babies with utterly baroque puns. This is now illegal but sometimes you meet old folks with incomprehensible names.

I fuckin love this

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Exactly, or how the gun stabilizer on the Sherman was disabled by many crews, who found it unreliable or unhelpful... except for those in the 3rd Armored Division and 753rd Tank Battalion, who were trained in its use and reported a high level of effectiveness with it.

I scrolled through that and had a bit of a shocker:

quote:

Have the gyrostabilizer in operation whenever the tank is moving. This gives the gunner a relatively steady field of view. It enables him to keep himself oriented with respect to the terrain and to search the terrain for targets.

Like that should be a "no duh" kind of selling point of the whole thing.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Like that should be a "no duh" kind of selling point of the whole thing.

It's not that simple. Yes, it's good for the gunner, but downright dangerous for the loader and TC in older tanks. It wasn't until the M-1s that stab was safe.

Imagine being in your car as it bounces around driving off-road at speed. Now imagine standing up; you brace yourself and hold onto things to keep from falling. It's not impossible, but it takes practice. Even experienced crews can occasionally fall or get hurt; after a hard drive you'll be tired and you'll probably have a bruise or two.

Now imagine putting the breech of the main gun in that space. While the tank is bouncing along it's thrashing in the opposite direction, trying to keep steady. It's a big, heavy block of steel and it's being thrown around by hydraulics. There are no protective guards or safety features to speak of. If you get wedged under the gun somehow it could kill you. It's easy to see why a less experienced crew who wasn't forced to keep it on might want to keep it off.

Edit - Interior of a Sherman turret:

Cessna fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WW2 Data

We're back with a couple of Czechoslovakian mortar rounds, both for then-current 82mm and 120mm Mortars used by the Ethiopians. What did they look like? What language did the packaging come in? What increment limitation did the 82mm HE shell have? All that and more at the blog!