Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
McWar. McWar never changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Acebuckeye13 posted:

McWar. McWar never changes.

That's the real magic of it, 33000 McWar locations across the world and the warcrime will be the exact same whether you are in michigan or japan.

capitalism :D

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Dusting off Thatcher's old "Cars Only Chunnel, F*** Trains" plan and thinking "I can do one better."

There'd better be a Monument to Pod 6 in the center of that roundabut.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Pod 6 was jerks

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

ive kept my kid home since last march, shes got asthma and im not taking any chances.

It's sucked but at the same time ive been doing her work with her and really set a lot of good habits and such, and shes improved greatly on her math and reading (3rd grade). Ive been drat lucky that ive been able to swing it with a couple 24 hour days each week, yay working overnights but at least its from home.

we're under 2% in state finally.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

praise alvis it's the year the thing was set in

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
But what if Musk declares the roundabout to be the independent republic of Sealabia, a sovereign nation?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Then Musk will get what Musk deserves. Considering where it's located, it's gonna rain on his parade.

I'm saying there will be Irish ancestry'd Rebel Armies everywhere and he will pay the English to call them terrorists. It musk happen. They're jerks you seeaaalab.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

SquirrelyPSU posted:

That would cost like 2 trillion dollars.

e: I'm being neither hyperbolic nor sarcastic.

It's costing 500 million per kilometer to add to an existing subway in the middle of Vancouver. It would not surprise me if it was like 5 billion per kilometer or more when it's under a sea. And yeah, this plan is for several hundred kilometers of tunnels. A couple trillion easy.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Orthanc6 posted:

It's costing 500 million per kilometer to add to an existing subway in the middle of Vancouver. It would not surprise me if it was like 5 billion per kilometer or more when it's under a sea. And yeah, this plan is for several hundred kilometers of tunnels. A couple trillion easy.

And the actual expected usage of the Broadway Extension is way higher than BoJo's wildest dreams for the Occupied North Ireland Tunnel; $2.5 billion on five kilometres of tunnels and six underground train stations under one of the largest corridors in the city is a lot more easy to justify and get a return on than a thousand times that on something that'll only see a few thousand daily users at peak if it's even mechanically feasible.

(hello fellow vangoon)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'd be interested in seeing the evaluations how much this would cost. A quick glance at google earth makes it seem as if the distance between Man and both Scotland and Ireland is pretty comparable to the distance between England and France. And they managed to tunnel through that just fine, for what wikipedia tells me cost £9 billion at the time, equivalent to £16 billion in 2016. Of course the south of England and north of France were not separated by the English Channel less than 10000 years ago, but looking at maps of Doggerland, it seems that Man wasn't an island at that time, either. Of course the tunnels to the two sites in England (no tunnels to Wales, huh :thunk:) are quite a bit longer than the Eurotunnel's length. Is the sea much deeper between the British Isles than the Channel? The seafloor less suited to getting tunneled through?

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Torrannor posted:

I'd be interested in seeing the evaluations how much this would cost. A quick glance at google earth makes it seem as if the distance between Man and both Scotland and Ireland is pretty comparable to the distance between England and France. And they managed to tunnel through that just fine, for what wikipedia tells me cost £9 billion at the time, equivalent to £16 billion in 2016. Of course the south of England and north of France were not separated by the English Channel less than 10000 years ago, but looking at maps of Doggerland, it seems that Man wasn't an island at that time, either. Of course the tunnels to the two sites in England (no tunnels to Wales, huh :thunk:) are quite a bit longer than the Eurotunnel's length. Is the sea much deeper between the British Isles than the Channel? The seafloor less suited to getting tunneled through?

Iirc you’re looking at c.300m depth compared to c60m, and granite rather than mud to drill through.

It’s an idiotic boondoggle that will just turn out to be an excuse to funnel more money towards Tory donors and family members; then likely get cancelled after millions have been wasted.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It may be cheaper to manufacture a tube and place it on the sea floor in sections.

Istanbul and Hong Kong have tunnels like this. It’s called “immersed tube”.

Not that that makes the British proposal any better.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Platystemon posted:

It may be cheaper to manufacture a tube and place it on the sea floor in sections.

Istanbul and Hong Kong have tunnels like this. It’s called “immersed tube”.

Not that that makes the British proposal any better.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fehmarn_Belt_Fixed_Link

Between Germany and Denmark. Would be the most recent example of that to my knowledge.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Looking like Dominion's getting into the pillow business.

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1363828023347265539?s=19

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Cross posting from the weather thread:

Godspeed Texans. I hope you burn your politicians and energy CEOs in effigy until they forgive some costs.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Thwomp posted:

Godspeed Texans. I hope you burn your politicians and energy CEOs in effigy until they forgive some costs.

Lol. Texas is going to raise its already regressive taxes to make sure the utilities' profits don't suffer as a result of their gross mismanagement.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Thwomp posted:

I hope you burn your politicians and energy CEOs in effigy until they forgive some costs.

They need to be burning more than effigies.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

They need to be burning more than effigies.

Exactly.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waste-to-energy_plant

Can we put energy executives and pro-deregulation politicians in one of these?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Cy Vance and New York State have officially run out of excuses.

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1363859599665885187?s=19

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
If anyone wants a quick read, Michael Lewis, the guy who wrote "The Big Short" and "The Blind Side" wrote a piece called "The Fifth Risk" which covers all of the less sexy but hugely important things the federal government takes care of. Things nobody worries about, like power plant winterization.

Tl:dr. The "less regulations, more common sense" folks who came into the federal government with the last administration didnt know what they didn't know and the best case scenario was the Rick Perry Approach. He became head of the agency he vowed to eliminate and upon realizing what they actually do, prompty shut the gently caress up and let the careerists run things. He gave speeches and did ribbon cuttings and hosed off back to Texas without ruining much.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It still amuses and depresses me to see Rick Perry continue to wear those completely ornamental "lookit me ah'm smart" glasses.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Start of a short thread worth a look.

https://twitter.com/MattNegrin/status/1363530812759678979?s=20

Or if not, this is more or less the main idea

https://twitter.com/MattNegrin/status/1363534147655000070?s=20

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
It gets eyeballs, which gets them money. We need to remove the financial incentive from journalism and news reporting (among so many other things).

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1363860966027513858

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I don't know why people are so surprised about the Republicans going all-in on astroturfing. It's terrible for the environment so it's on brand.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It still amuses and depresses me to see Rick Perry continue to wear those completely ornamental "lookit me ah'm smart" glasses.

I have a coworker who does that. Dunno if the glasses are working as they prefer a two hour daily commute despite WFH being ok so sometimes they video into meetings while driving.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Sounds like she should be able to expense any tickets that come from that if there’s no policy against it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Can we cram the GOP into Pod 6 and then blow it up

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
But then who will get to the bottom of the Steele Dossier and Hillary’s emails?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Benjamin Ghazi is STILL on the loose and has not been brought to justice due to KILARY we MUST stop this menace

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

orange juche posted:

Can we cram the GOP into Pod 6 and then blow it up

Ok, but only if we also got the DNC in there, too.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

A Bad Poster posted:

Ok, but only if we also got the DNC in there, too.

I can accept this

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

https://twitter.com/ericawerner/status/1363912115539558407?s=21

Wild to see the things they do and don't fight for

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Minimum wage? Nah
Cabinet pick? Hell yeah

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Best Friends posted:

Wild to see the things they do and don't fight for

orange juche posted:

Minimum wage? Nah
Cabinet pick? Hell yeah

Outside of random, half-assed statements when asked, is there any evidence of them fighting for Neera? Other names are already being floated inside the administration through media reports. Edit: She's toast, they likely just don't want to yank it and would rather it get voted down so nobody gets pissed off.

And on the minimum wage, the current status: https://www.politico.com/news/2021/02/22/democrats-minimum-wage-increase-plan-470860

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 22, 2021

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
https://twitter.com/PressSec/status/1363845960502280201?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

A total of five people outside of DC give a poo poo on who the OMB director is.