Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Quote is not edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Serephina posted:

I enjoyed Braid when it was released, no qualifiers on that. It was a good game, even if I feel no need to go back to it. A quick google for the ending's meaning told me that the creator was upset that people figured it out (WW2 nuke quotes), but I thought nothing of it and merrily went on my way.

The ending being "Actually you're a creepy stalker" was trying to be clever but felt totally unearned. Like a shyamalan twist, but without any foreshadowing. Other than that, you're right, a play through of braid when it came out was fun.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's always loving hilarious when an author is actively upset that people figured out what they were going for, like that one writer who changed his story because people on reddit guessed it so he made it something no one guessed (because it was too stupid for anyone to guess), I think they were right about Blow the first time.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Gaius Marius posted:

That was the genesis version, Prolly not the best example but my point still stands games looked better than we display them now and it's ruining a generation who now think retro games were pixel filled nightmares

An entire generation, ruined!

I don't know, I grew up with 8 and 16 bit consoles on CRTs and when I load up an emulator it better have some 4x filter so I can enjoy those graphics in an almost-remastered fashion, regardless of "authenticity".

Ruined!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i explained to my wife what the bang & olufsen mx6000 was there for. she was like "alright" and we played some puyo puyo sun for saturn

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i like the look of big fat pixels :shrug:

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Bronze Fonz posted:

I don't know, I grew up with 8 and 16 bit consoles on CRTs and when I load up an emulator it better have some 4x filter so I can enjoy those graphics in an almost-remastered fashion, regardless of "authenticity".

Ruined!

What game is the little fire guy from I like that little fire guy.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Bronze Fonz posted:

Ruined!

those wobbly lines look just awful, blechhhh.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Rutibex posted:

i like the look of big fat pixels :shrug:

There's nothing wrong with enjoying big fat pixels nor is there with enjoying filter-cajoled pixels.

No generation has been ruined by any of this.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

pixel art almost always looks fine on CRTs and filters are built into everything that kinda sorta almost makes them CRT-esque if you really want to experience things more like they really were without dragging out an old Trinitron

where crts really actually shine is old psx era 3d graphics, which often look fine (albeit obviously primitive) on a CRT but turn into jaggy aliased messes on modern displays

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

giogadi posted:

That reminds me - YouTube keeps trying to recommend some video called “The Witness is an amazing game you should never play” and the title is so excruciatingly clickbait-y that I refuse to click it on principle. So wtf is it even about?

It's actually pretty reasonable and not terribly surprising as I remember: The Witness is full of good ideas and interesting puzzles, but built in such a way that it doesn't value your time and gets bogged down in the execution.

Edit: Joseph Anderson is known for having some really weird takes though, so YMMV.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 22, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

John Murdoch posted:

The Witness is full of good ideas and interesting puzzles, but built in such a way that it doesn't value your time and gets bogged down in the execution.

This is a fair take on it. The premise, setting, and puzzle progression was really captivating. And then halfway through a tiny bit of poo starts to trickle in...

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I like the wobbly lines better

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

The wobbly lines look really bad blown up like that imo but I don't think it would detract that much from the videogame while playing it

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Secret of Mana (and the mana series). The recently remade Trials of Mana is really great!

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Bronze Fonz posted:

Ruined!

The 4x looks like when I get KY Jelly on my glasses incase I want to insert them into my anus so I can see things that look like poo poo.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

John Murdoch posted:

It's actually pretty reasonable and not terribly surprising as I remember: The Witness is full of good ideas and interesting puzzles, but built in such a way that it doesn't value your time and gets bogged down in the execution.

Edit: Joseph Anderson is known for having some really weird takes though, so YMMV.

Where does one learn about opinions on gaming youtubers? I only ever seem to see them discussed when they've done something horrible.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Sort of 'Disagree' on "The Witness" is obtuse part, very much disagree about any similarity to Myst.

All the stuff that I found "obtuse" I actually came across the 'instructions' for later. Like, the game is essentially "about" how we can learn anything from first principles, it adheres to that FANATICALLY and literally everything in the game is explained to you. It's just that, actually finding the stuff in the right order sometimes doesn't happen.

I think it's such a good game that I'm totally fine with it having a fart huffing section, because that whole bit is entirely extra to the 'Vidya Gaming' part, and it's only there if you want to look at it.
Maybe I've just got a taste for farts, but I think it's good stuff.

/edit poo poo I went bananays again and wrote too much.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 22, 2021

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

As noted by someone else, that's Salamander from Secret of Mana, and Trials of Mana is great. The Mana series has tons of personality and I love what they did with it. The dwarfs for example instead of being weird burly scottish accent types they are old prospector types and the Gnome spirit is rootin' tootin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9dfsz-rPlc

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Emulator filters are disgusting, I rather much prefer crisp clean pixels.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

crisp clean pixels with a nice layer of LCD ghosting

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Bronze Fonz posted:

Ruined!

Finally a truly unpopular opinion! Those filters are horrible.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

lobsterminator posted:

Finally a truly unpopular opinion! Those filters are horrible.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bronze Fonz posted:

Ruined!

It's nice to meet the man in charge of the final fantasy mobile games

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

!Klams posted:

Sort of 'Disagree' on "The Witness" is obtuse part, very much disagree about any similarity to Myst.

All the stuff that I found "obtuse" I actually came across the 'instructions' for later. Like, the game is essentially "about" how we can learn anything from first principles, it adheres to that FANATICALLY and literally everything in the game is explained to you. It's just that, actually finding the stuff in the right order sometimes doesn't happen.

I think it's such a good game that I'm totally fine with it having a fart huffing section, because that whole bit is entirely extra to the 'Vidya Gaming' part, and it's only there if you want to look at it.
Maybe I've just got a taste for farts, but I think it's good stuff.

/edit poo poo I went bananays again and wrote too much.
The Witness feels like it's meant to show off the cleverness of the developer moreso than for the player to feel clever.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Really who gives a poo poo if it makes a shirt look like someone left it wrinkling in a gym bag and smoothed it out with PVA, at least it's not pixelated

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

getting a crt is worth it imo if you are even slightly into retro stuff. they're heavy i guess but i had no real trouble getting mine set up and it was free. i guess in the us it's more of a hassle with "component" (?? ive never even seen one of these i only know the name) cables instead of scart

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

a crt doesnt look any worse in a room than the average gaming pc and doesn't take up much more space

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I like the 4xBRZ one the most. Pixelation is dumb because back in the day that was a technical limitation, not a design choice.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rutibex posted:

this is very noticeable if you try to play PS3 on a CRT. lots of the text is just unreadable

One of my friends in college had an HDTV at home but his parents sent him to school with an old CRT. Seeing him try to play Dead Rising on the CRT was hilarious, he was constantly infuriated with trying to read the text. IIRC Dead Rising was above and beyond the usual legibility problems with CRTs.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

jokes posted:

I like the 4xBRZ one the most. Pixelation is dumb because back in the day that was a technical limitation, not a design choice.

But the art was made using that limitation. Blurring the outlines and removing all sharp edges is not circumventing those limitations, it's just blurring.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

jokes posted:

Yeah, not sure how one can look at 4xBRZ and go "this looks worse".

Imagine telling these developers in the 80's that one day, people will have monitors with millions of pixels on 'em and use them to try and recreate the look of an old piece of poo poo CRT.

lobsterminator posted:

But the art was made using that limitation. Blurring the outlines and removing all sharp edges is not circumventing those limitations, it's just blurring.

Come on, you don't have to like it but saying a filter like 4xBRZ "just blurs the image" is bad faith.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

lobsterminator posted:

Right, but monitors are a billion times better and now the pixelation looks like poo poo because of it.

Like, look at Salamander's baton or whatever-- it's just a diagonal line and it's horrible

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

jokes posted:

Right, but monitors are a billion times better and now the pixelation looks like poo poo because of it.

Like, look at Salamander's baton or whatever-- it's just a diagonal line and it's horrible

Even 4k monitors get blown outta the water by a 16 year old trinitron.

https://youtu.be/V8BVTHxc4LM

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Almost feels cheating given the Trinitron line is the highest end of the lot. But should be a fun fad since you can basically get the things for free if you're willing and able to actually move it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

This doesn't hold nearly as true nowadays, it took me months to get my last trinitron and it's only a 10incher. Less and less people are doing repairs, spare parts are running out, and a lot of people unfortunately just dump em in the trash. If you can get a crt get it, they're running out and nobody seems to wanna start building new ones.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I used to have so many half-assembled CRTs in storage because I would scrap ones I found on the street for parts. You can still probably make decent money doing that as replacement parts get rarer and rarer.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

lobsterminator posted:

Actually, I'm pretty sure all the art was probably hand drawn first before being put into the game

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

fridge corn posted:

Actually, I'm pretty sure all the art was probably hand drawn first before being put into the game

you would hand draw it by making little pixels on graph paper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Thread posters today.