Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

For act 3 pathing, I usually go question mark heavy until I find Mind Bloom (and the double Orb Walkers event, if I'm confident my deck can handle it). Other than that, just the usual maximization of fires and elites, usually somewhat favoring elites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I am by no means a pro player and am in fact very bad but the main thing I ask myself when I get to act three is “how can this deck handle the Reptomancer?” I feel like the other two don’t require quite as much specificity in a deck, because if you can’t throw out a lot of damage really fast or an unreasonable amount of block (I’m not sure that’s really possible outside intangibility) then the amount of HP you’re going to lose is not worth a few extra relics that probably won’t change much about your load out at that point. I think if I could aggregate all my runs for all time, my top three deaths are 1) the second act one elite, whatever it is, after the first rips me apart because I have nothing to hit it with; 2) the act two boss when a deck just doesn’t come together yet; 3) Reptomancer.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah Reptomancer is the main one that can be dangerous. Occasionally I've lost to Giant Head but that's usually with very bad decks that wouldn't have been able to beat the act 3 bosses either.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Reptomancer A18+ is messed up. You have a chance of just losing your run there even if your deck is built to handle her. You're right to think hard about her. I think I should probably skip act 3 elites more often than I do because there's a chance of just losing to her.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I avoid elites in act 3 since another relic isn't likely to have much impact by then and they can be dangerous, either by being reptomancer or an unlucky draw. Similarly, I avoid regular combats since most additions would just dilute the deck.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Straight White Shark posted:

At higher difficulties the last one gets less true. Act 2 in particular gets some really nasty hallway fights, and elites get you way better rewards for not terribly more damage/risk. Act 3 elites can be a dicier proposition, since there is not as much time to see payoff and they're quite a bit riskier than the hallway fights.

This ties into the previous point; while healing at campfires is ok, you really want fo make sure you're getting something for the extra HP you burn. You don't want to spend a lot of campfires healing attrition from hallway fights, because 1) you want your build to be good enough to not take a lot of attrition from regular fights and 2) if you're struggling with hallway fights you really want to improve your deck with upgrades. But it's usually worth it to facetank damage from elites and then heal it off at the next campfire, because giving up an upgrade for the relic that elites drop is usually a decent trade.

I’ve been helping my BFF get through A17 and the main thing I notice about his play is that he leans towards resting if he’s unsure what to do at a campfire.

I’ve been trying to drill into his head that, when I’m doubt, upgrade something that will help you on the boss AND it’s better to be risky on act 1 because you can wipe and restart after 10 minutes rather than play it safe and increase your chances of wiping after you’ve played an hour.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I usually try and grab as many elites as I think I can handle in Act 3. I find them a lot easier than elites from 2, with possible exception of raptomancer. (and sometimes giant head, depending on the deck).

Then again, I mostly play IC and Watcher so YMMV based on class.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Forktoss posted:

Any rule-of-thumb tips for Act 3 pathing? I generally go "as many elites as possible" for Act 1 and "as few hallway fights as possible" for Act 2, but I don't really have any such guiding principle for Act 3. I'm on A9-10, if that makes any difference.

Not having green key yet makes Act 3 pathing very straightforward. Otherwise, I go for ?'s unless my deck is really good at everything. The Act 3 elites are very demanding, you need fast scaling, heavy damage, and insane block/attack consistency to deal with all of them. I might risk it if I have two of those things and I don't think I can beat act 4 yet.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
Act 3 also has some really good events so I usually go for question mark rooms as well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I'll always go for events over elites in 3 just because of Reptomancer.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Finally beat the Act4 heart thanks to this thread. Read the first few pages where people were extolling exhaust-centric ironclad and learning that I probably don't need to pick/buy as many cards as possible, and even get rid of some, was a revelation.

Time to beat it with my actual favorite class, Defect

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Away all Goats posted:

Finally beat the Act4 heart thanks to this thread. Read the first few pages where people were extolling exhaust-centric ironclad and learning that I probably don't need to pick/buy as many cards as possible, and even get rid of some, was a revelation.

Time to beat it with my actual favorite class, Defect

Nice!

Regarding act 3 elites, I'm doing a heart ladder so I usually hit 2 elites just to make sure my deck has what it takes to keep up with the heart. Like if I'm struggling with Repto I then need to figure out how to scale more block faster, or if I'm struggling with the giant head I need to scale more damage and card draw.

Stuck on Watcher A9. I was stuck on A7 for two months, then beat the heart 8 times in one week. It feels bad because watcher is everyone else's best class.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I don't think I have the patience for upper ascensions

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

honestly i prefer to just play a15, i dont like to try hard in this game and most of my available video game time requires drugs for pain so i just wanna have a breezy game

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I keep doing events in Acts 2 and 3 until I get Designer In-Spire, so that I can read its dialogue loudly and dramatically.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

rabidsquid posted:

honestly i prefer to just play a15, i dont like to try hard in this game and most of my available video game time requires drugs for pain so i just wanna have a breezy game
I don't like to try hard either but I play at A20. You can do it!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Yeah I just drink and play high ascension and die a lot

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Finally got the Who Needs Relics? cheevo. I kept trying to force upgraded burning blood on ironclad and never found it, switched to Defect and got a floor 0 glacier.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Frida Call Me posted:

Finally got the Who Needs Relics? cheevo. I kept trying to force upgraded burning blood on ironclad and never found it, switched to Defect and got a floor 0 glacier.

Nice! Great job!

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
After getting my first win with Ironclad last night, I managed 2 wins with Silent and 1 with Defect (first try) today. They are both a real trip after playing Ironclad exclusively for ages. The Defect is extremely cool and I lucked into a build that made it so that I was able to block almost any single attack, most from the last boss. Ironclad's synergies seem less obvious to me than the other two.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
This daily is hard as gently caress. Way too many cards.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

metachronos posted:

The early Mummified Hand did some heavy heavy lifting for me.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Yeah usually when I work hard on the daily and am on the front page of high scores (obviously falling off after another hour or so) I'm like "hell yeah!" This time I was like "wow, Drunk Nerds, you need to work on getting more annoyed and rage-quitting because clearly everyone else did.'

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Frida Call Me posted:

Finally got the Who Needs Relics? cheevo. I kept trying to force upgraded burning blood on ironclad and never found it.

It's actually impossible. You cannot get the upgraded version of your starting relic from the boss swap option. No Black Blood, no Frozen Core on Defect, etc.

beer gas canister posted:

Ironclad's synergies seem less obvious to me than the other two.

There's no doubt in my mind that IC is the most complex of the first 3 characters. Exhaust in particular is not intuitive for most people. Sometimes when you exhaust a lot of cards, you put yourself on a clock and have to win the fight soon. Sometimes you just get rid of the garbage, make your deck much more efficient, and can continue to fight for a long time. Sometimes you set up infinite combos. Sometimes it's your block engine. There's such a huge diversity of possibilities from this one mechanic. It's easy to explain why you should gain focus or gain strength, but it's much, much more complex to answer "why should I exhaust my cards?"

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I love power heavy decks so this was pretty easy for me, even if my score sucks.

Upgrading After Image so it’s innate was my first upgrade. With almost 70 cards I needed something certain in my first hand.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Yoshi Wins posted:

It's actually impossible. You cannot get the upgraded version of your starting relic from the boss swap option. No Black Blood, no Frozen Core on Defect, etc.

Oh, I figured that - I just meant I did 15 or so runs and didn't get it as an act 1 or act 2 reward, and sputtered out before killing the act 3 boss. Not that it would've saved me, I'm awful at building ironclad decks.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

metachronos posted:

Think my hardest problem was getting enough defend in Act I, but much of the daily for me revolved around summoning bludgeon or hyperbeam whenever possible.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Frida Call Me posted:

Oh, I figured that - I just meant I did 15 or so runs and didn't get it as an act 1 or act 2 reward,

Ah, yeah, that's a pretty good idea.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.

metachronos posted:

I got to play 11 copies of wish in a hallway fight so I was kinda into it

I did try and speed things up after hitting 2k gold and 170hp though

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Hey let's do that thing where we play a seed and discuss our choices.

I'm stuck as Watcher at A9 so that's what I'm doing, but do whatever Ascension you want.

The run seed is "FUDGELICKER69"

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

finally got my first a20 W. long time coming but i did it! got absolutely carried by first floor relics lol had to be easiest game ive had in a while, took me a bit tho

cheeseboy58 fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 23, 2021

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

cheeseboy58 posted:

finally got my first a20 W. long time coming but i did it! got absolutely carried by first floor relics lol had to be easiest game ive had in a while, took me a bit tho

Congrats, Lifecoach!

deltah
Sep 28, 2012

cheeseboy58 posted:

I feel like 11 act 1 relics is a lot, right?

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Drunk Nerds posted:

Hey let's do that thing where we play a seed and discuss our choices.

I'm stuck as Watcher at A9 so that's what I'm doing, but do whatever Ascension you want.

The run seed is "FUDGELICKER69"

You'd think that Busted Crown on floor 0 would cripple the run, but it turns out the one card you get offered is still a watcher card. :v:

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Various Meat Products posted:

You'd think that Busted Crown on floor 0 would cripple the run, but it turns out the one card you get offered is still a watcher card. :v:

Nice! I've taken a break at the beginning of act 3 because I'm drinking b ut will check nnin tomorrow.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Drunk Nerds posted:

Nice! I've taken a break at the beginning of act 3 because I'm drinking b ut will check nnin tomorrow.

Good username/post/thread/forum combo

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

What are you drinking? I'm enjoying an Ipswich Oatmeal Stout, from one of Massachusetts' finest breweries

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

What are you drinking? I'm enjoying an Ipswich Oatmeal Stout, from one of Massachusetts' finest breweries

Rad, I got one of those in the goon fantasy football craft beer league one year, delicious.

I'm in WA state so I'm just drinking Red Hook Big Ballard. It was swill when I bought it when I lived in CA, but it turns out living 1 hour from 70% of the nations hops makes any IPA burst with flavor.

Also, speaking of username combos, I've got various meat products curing in my garage right now, mostly pepp. I'd take a pic but I'm chairlocked rn.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Never fear Busted Crown imo, the worst thing it will do is save you from deck bloat.

disclaimer: am casual player only up to, like, A6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

On the discussion between Jorbs/Terrence/Baalor there was a mention of how transforming Silent cards at the beginning of a run has gotten way better now that Silent's card pool isn't as full of garbage, and I feel like there's a similar effect with Busted Crown as things have gotten buffed. Busted Crown is much more harmful in a situation where many of the cards you can see are straight up bad cards, and the win condition of a run relies on seeing specific good cards. In a situation where all cards are closer in power level, then it definitely isn't as bad, and that means it would be especially true that Watcher gets harmed the least by it.