Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

A loving chamber stone for 50 shells nintendo stop smoking crack what the hell

the most disappointing thing about every zelda game is the bullshit rewards you get for completing these kind of collection sidequests. except for botw where the reward for collecting all the korok seeds is exactly what you deserve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I've been on a Zelda music kick lately, mostly BotW music and the orchestral concerts. Then the anniversary was today (for shame no one in here mentioned it!). I broke down and started a third playthrough of BotW.

I say broke down because I have 6 other games in queue ahead of this. That said, I've got the week off and I plan to do nothing but play BotW until my eyes bleed and love every second of it. :D

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 22, 2021

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Twelve by Pies posted:

I don't know if it's true but when HW first came out I remember there being a theory that there was a damage cap of sorts on your attacks, because people were wondering why they had a top tier weapon and 90 more levels than in the early game but couldn't take out keep bosses and stuff in one hit when they went back to those levels.

In my satisfaction tonight at unlocking Exorcism, I forgot to test this and went straight to starting the other characters' 10K unlocks. I'll try to remember tomorrow. I'll have to see too how Link's base attack power came out; adding 400 to a weapon might not proportionally be enough to get me there at this point. The first attack at 500 was doing probably 80%+ damage to keep bosses and the like, but if his base strength is over, say, 2500, then it might be a close thing. I can get rid of Stone Blins and things with just a C1 at least.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

I’d love to see the Links Awakening engine used again. The Capcom Oracle games are the obvious candidates, or perhaps a Minish Cap remaster. I also wouldn’t mind them using that engine to redo Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks. Just hope it’s not going to be a one-off game, I love the diorama toy box type look.

I hope to god they don't do that The oracle games are peak GBC graphics and are beautiful, the Awakening remake looks like claymation trash in comparison

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

lmao

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They really should make the originals available, it's not like it's stopped them with anything else. Given they're scraping the bottom of the barrel for NES/SNES classic titles, a Game Boy app seems a no-brainer.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think Nintendo is trying to bury them so people don't realize Capcom is better at making Zelda then them.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

I think Nintendo is trying to bury them so people don't realize Capcom is better at making Zelda then them.

They're not any more, is the thing. They poached the guy at Capcom who directed those games, and he went on to direct Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I didn't know that, but I don't know how you can make two such diametrically opposed games. Baffling. Anyways they should go back to 2D

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Skyward Sword introduced a bunch of systems that BotW later refined, most noticeably fast climbing and stamina. I guess on the Wii you couldn't make a big open world that wasn't also empty unless you were the wizards at Monolith. (So they ended up borrowing said wizards too.)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

I hope to god they don't do that The oracle games are peak GBC graphics and are beautiful, the Awakening remake looks like claymation trash in comparison

I don't remember many specifics about the Oracle games, but I remember that I liked them a whole lot (probably more than any other Zelda I've played except maybe BotW) and got both of them and did all the stuff with the codes or whatever.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’ve finally decided to check out the new Zelda game called Breath of the Wild. However, I got the Wii-U version and am actually playing it on CEMU. Holy poo poo this game is loving gorgeous on Ultrawide at 60 FPS. I never got to finish Skyward Sword either so I might go back to that game and finish it up.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

chaosapiant posted:

I’ve finally decided to check out the new Zelda game called Breath of the Wild. However, I got the Wii-U version and am actually playing it on CEMU. Holy poo poo this game is loving gorgeous on Ultrawide at 60 FPS. I never got to finish Skyward Sword either so I might go back to that game and finish it up.

You'll get hella whiplash going from one to the other. I'm only vaguely interested in the SS Switch version because of how horribly linear the original was; going back to that after BotW doesn't sound fun at all, even thinking about what I liked in SS.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Gats Akimbo posted:

You'll get hella whiplash going from one to the other. I'm only vaguely interested in the SS Switch version because of how horribly linear the original was; going back to that after BotW doesn't sound fun at all, even thinking about what I liked in SS.

Yea, but it's not like I haven't played Skyward Sword. I've gotten most of the way through it, I just dropped my playthrough a few years back. I find the motion controls in that game more annoying than fun. They're easy enough, but I just want to push buttons.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
now i've slept on it, i can confirm, in official canon, that links awakening for switch is a near perfect remake up there with godtier resident evil 1 remake for the gamecube. its missing the DX photographs tho and that is a mark on its soul but everything else? mmhmm, what a picture. still pissed off i died in the colour dungeon (first time playing it, never had a gbc) so i didnt get the extra ending but i will continue to never forget you, marin. <3

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
which is the correct order to play the oracle games? i guess ill do them soon. i hear ages is the best so should i save it for last? the timeline matters of course :colbert:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The order really doesn’t matter. The major difference between the two games is that Seasons is more about fighting a lot of enemies while Ages is more about solving a lot of puzzles. I think the seasons gimmick is better executed than the time travel gimmick but overall Ages is a more interesting title. You’ll be spending more time playing the second one so pick whichever one sounds less fun first lol

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
If you play Seasons first then you get to have cool Subrosians show up in Ages later which is way better than some dumb ol' Goron or whatever losers show up in Seasons. Also playing Seasons first gives you a cool Donkey Kong game to rescue Zelda, if you play Ages first you just fight some Moblins. Boring.

Gats Akimbo posted:

I never played SS but I watched an LP and while I can't speak for how the game plays, there were a lot of things that rubbed me the wrong way. Now credit where it's due: Groose is the best, and I really love some of the setpieces, like the time stones in the desert. That was super amazing, I loved it. And of course the water temple in SS is gorgeous, the best in the series. That said, the sky is big and empty with nothing interesting in it, and I really dislike how the three areas of Hyrule are so disconnected from each other. There isn't a world to explore, which is something that had been in basically every Zelda beforehand. Even if areas of the overworld were blocked off behind events/items, you could still explore and even go "Oh man I wonder how I get into that place, maybe I need this item or something." Whereas SS is just "You have to wait until the sword lady says 'you can go to this place now.'" There isn't even really any exploration in the areas you go to either, it's generally just a linear path to your next objective, they're essentially just dungeons on the way to the dungeons. That can work to an extent (it's kind of how Twilight Princess treated areas covered in twilight), but I still feel it's a huge flaw in the game.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Twelve by Pies posted:

If you play Seasons first then you get to have cool Subrosians show up in Ages later which is way better than some dumb ol' Goron or whatever losers show up in Seasons. Also playing Seasons first gives you a cool Donkey Kong game to rescue Zelda, if you play Ages first you just fight some Moblins. Boring.

I never played SS but I watched an LP and while I can't speak for how the game plays, there were a lot of things that rubbed me the wrong way. Now credit where it's due: Groose is the best, and I really love some of the setpieces, like the time stones in the desert. That was super amazing, I loved it. And of course the water temple in SS is gorgeous, the best in the series. That said, the sky is big and empty with nothing interesting in it, and I really dislike how the three areas of Hyrule are so disconnected from each other. There isn't a world to explore, which is something that had been in basically every Zelda beforehand. Even if areas of the overworld were blocked off behind events/items, you could still explore and even go "Oh man I wonder how I get into that place, maybe I need this item or something." Whereas SS is just "You have to wait until the sword lady says 'you can go to this place now.'" There isn't even really any exploration in the areas you go to either, it's generally just a linear path to your next objective, they're essentially just dungeons on the way to the dungeons. That can work to an extent (it's kind of how Twilight Princess treated areas covered in twilight), but I still feel it's a huge flaw in the game.

Also if you go Ages > Seasons there's one block on the Ages map you can never fill in IIRC.

SS: yeah, pretty much that. I thought once the mid-game spoiler thing happened the overworld would connect up and give you more stuff to explore but nope. And there are things in it I'd like to see come back - the Mogma, the little robots, the Beetle, above all the Time Stones, but if it's going to involve Fi nagging me along the predetermined game path again then yeah, no.

(She didn't just push you along the path either, she wouldn't let you go back to some places you'd just been if you wanted another look or to show a friend a cool thing. And the whole "pointing out the answer to a puzzle before you noticed the puzzle" was just egregious.)

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Skyward Sword was designed to be really linear and have (far too many) hints because it was for the Wii, the casual gamers' system. I think Nintendo thought a lot of first-time Zelda players would go into this and would need the help. I suspect that's why they also made it the first game in the timeline, not that it really matters at all. But for a newcomer, it might be nice to know this game comes first.

But yeah, SS HD needs a lot of work.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Like how Mario Galaxy 2 came with a goddamn instructional DVD because they thought first time players might be confused. I'm not sure if they were making assumptions or just got some really wild feedback from people who bought it as a Wii Sports machine and got confused when a Mario expected them to push other buttons.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Gaius Marius posted:

I actually did not care that much for the visuals in Awakening either, but I will take that if it means getting an integrated remake of the Oracle games without the password nonsense.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They really should make the originals available, it's not like it's stopped them with anything else. Given they're scraping the bottom of the barrel for NES/SNES classic titles, a Game Boy app seems a no-brainer.

I agree, but I will remind people that the 3DS eshop is still up and that the Oracle games as well as the colourised Link's Awakening are still cheap as chips.

chaosapiant posted:

I am amazed that Wii U emulation works that well.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 22, 2021

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

https://twitter.com/zeldawilliams/status/1363361350253092864?s=20

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Game design in the late 2000s expressed what I interpret as a total lack of confidence in the player's ability to figure things out on their own and a terror that they might dislike the game because they don't know what to do. Skyward Sword was one of the latest and most extreme examples of that trend. It wasn't just Nintendo, it was endemic to the industry. Players of the time often complained about "having their hands held," but they blamed the same imaginary habits of casual gamers that developers were catering to. 2008 indie game "You Have To Burn The Rope" satirized this trend, but it wouldn't be broken until Demon's Souls (2009) and Dark Souls (2011) were back-to-back hits (the former relative to expectations, the latter in an absolute sense). By requiring the player to figure things out on their own in the manner of much older games, but still selling like hotcakes, they conspicuously disproved the then-conventional wisdom that mass-marketability requires intrusive guidance.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

IIRC that was also the era where achievements had devs learn a lot of people start their games but never finished them, and so they panicked and tried to drag the player to the end credits by any means necessary regardless of whether it was a good idea. I do credit/blame that for the trend of modern Nintendo games basically being 'So now you reached the end credits we'll assume you're a grown-up, here's the rest of the game'.

Breath of the Wild is a funny case given you're actively encouraged to leave something for later if it's too hard and go chase horses or look for rocks in suspicious places or farm for materials, and then you can come back to the hard stuff with better weapons, armour, food and stats.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Nanigans posted:

I've been on a Zelda music kick lately, mostly BotW music and the orchestral concerts. Then the anniversary was today (for shame no one in here mentioned it!). I broke down and started a third playthrough of BotW.

I say broke down because I have 6 other games in queue ahead of this. That said, I've got the week off and I plan to do nothing but play BotW until my eyes bleed and love every second of it. :D

Not gonna lie, because of this post I've been listening to the BOTW soundtrack while I work and it's definitely giving me some urges to replay it again.

It's a great soundtrack in a way because none of the tracks really got stuck in my head, but coming back to them they don't need to. Even the main field music which is just occasional piano notes brings back memories of running through huge areas.

Also listening on headphones some of the battle themes have some fat bass drops in them which I never noticed playing.

Geez Hateno Village theme is sooooo nice

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

track day bro! posted:

Not gonna lie, because of this post I've been listening to the BOTW soundtrack while I work and it's definitely giving me some urges to replay it again.

It's a great soundtrack in a way because none of the tracks really got stuck in my head, but coming back to them they don't need to. Even the main field music which is just occasional piano notes brings back memories of running through huge areas.

Also listening on headphones some of the battle themes have some fat bass drops in them which I never noticed playing.

Geez Hateno Village theme is sooooo nice

Yeah, it's almost a shame so much of the music is played so quietly. On the one hand, it does help you kind of get lost in the game because the music is literally just in the background rather than in your face. But BotW has some of the best Zelda music--hell, some of my favorite music--and one of the very few complaints people ever lob against the game is that it "has no music."

It does! In fact, it's amazing music!

Trip report: I beat the Great Plateau and did some random stuff yesterday, heading to Kakariko now.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
My biggest complaint about SS that I don’t think has been mentioned is that you couldn’t go to the surface at night. Did it even have weather patterns? I don’t know. One of my favorite Zelda things is the atmospheric scenes that just happen with rolling day and night and changing weather.

If they want to sort of justify the $60 price tag, the following improvements are necessary:

1. Ability to turn off Fi’s hints and other hand holding throughout the game. Occasional interruptions to move the plot forward are fine.
2. Ability to go to the surface at night.
3. Ability to travel other areas of the surface without going to the sky.
4. Streamline some of the filler aspects or make them optional.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

My biggest complaint about SS that I don’t think has been mentioned is that you couldn’t go to the surface at night. Did it even have weather patterns? I don’t know. One of my favorite Zelda things is the atmospheric scenes that just happen with rolling day and night and changing weather.

If they want to sort of justify the $60 price tag, the following improvements are necessary:

1. Ability to turn off Fi’s hints and other hand holding throughout the game. Occasional interruptions to move the plot forward are fine.
2. Ability to go to the surface at night.
3. Ability to travel other areas of the surface without going to the sky.
4. Streamline some of the filler aspects or make them optional.

All good ideas.

Personally, we've had user-selectable difficulty levels for decades, so I can't see why one can't have variable levels of guidance or "hand holding" as well. I'm currently playing Wizardry 6 from 1990, which tells the player gently caress all, and I would like to think that we can find a common ground between putting a metaphorical bag over the player's head versus having Fi reminding Link to loving breathe every 8 seconds.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

JustJeff88 posted:

I am amazed that Wii U emulation works that well.

Yes, it’s awesome as poo poo. The only slight issue is that the Wii-U gamepad cannot be used. So for games that really on it heavily, like Xenoblade Chronicles X, you need to find a comfortable way to tab over to it. I use keyboard for input so that my mouse acts as the stylus, and I use my right mouse button to switch to gamepad or switch back. Works real smooth.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

romanowski posted:

the most disappointing thing about every zelda game is the bullshit rewards you get for completing these kind of collection sidequests.

The Big Goron Sword and Fierce Deity Mask owned though.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

How do Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks play on the Wii U VC? I'm guessing the best way is top screen on TV, bottom screen on gamepad? Does it work well?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

sigher posted:

The Hero's Mask in WW was cool too, though not outstandingly useful.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
BotW's end-game-ish reward of the Hylian Shield (which is basically unbreakable) was pretty neat too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think I got that basically by accident when first checking out Hyrule Castle.

I do like that you're basically encouraged to raid the endgame dungeon for loot long before you're ready to face the final boss.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Gats Akimbo posted:

The Hero's Mask in WW was cool too, though not outstandingly useful.

Wait, the what now? Is there a thing in that game I straight up don't know about?!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Silver Falcon posted:

Wait, the what now? Is there a thing in that game I straight up don't know about?!

Give butterfly pendants to the teacher on Windfall Island. She gives you a mask you can wear which shows an HP bar over the enemies.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Give butterfly pendants to the teacher on Windfall Island. She gives you a mask you can wear which shows an HP bar over the enemies.

It got moved in WWHD to be a prize in the trials of the hero thing iirc.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

sigher posted:

this is true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think I got that basically by accident when first checking out Hyrule Castle.

I do like that you're basically encouraged to raid the endgame dungeon for loot long before you're ready to face the final boss.

Oh god, I forgot you can actually get it way sooner. You can buy replicas after you finish building the town. That's what I was thinking of.

poo poo, I think I found my reason to raid the castle before the first divine beast lol