Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

kreeningsons posted:

I want to give a quick shout out to my old apartment building that supports countertops with tiny 1.25" wide baluster spindles and screws them to the floor through the linoleum with tiny steel L brackets. About 10 years ago I leaned on one of the countertops which was not supported by any cabinetry, and the spindle buckled and snapped and the entire thing completely fell off the wall onto the floor. After moving out, I was pleased to see recently that they are still using this signature contruction technique in their "renovated" units.

I wouldn't trust the renters not to climb on the counter top some day, that it obvious to you and me how bad an idea it is will not stop some people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Either that guy is like 4'6'' or that door is absolutely immense.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Wasabi the J posted:

Ah yes 90's vintage "Golden Oak" cabinets.

Used to have them.

Whats the bet on when it's back in style?

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/mnolangray/status/1363582291071565830?s=20

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

hmm.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Ashcans posted:

The architect was a big fan of xenomorphs, obviously.

Odds of an architect being involved on that house are minimal :v:

Photoshopped? Lots of artifacts on the handrail / right edge of stair.

Sloppy fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 22, 2021

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

If you hate stair climbers so much why even bother with the safety rail? It's completely pointless in any way.
A loving rope would work better as you climb this loving indoor slope.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I cannot loving wait to split a kneecap on this in a moment of carelessness.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I can't figure out to where this stairway leads. It looks like a skylight to me.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

The way up does not lead to heaven but the way down just might.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Grease up the hand rail for a good time.

Jows
May 8, 2002

By popular demand posted:

If you hate stair climbers so much why even bother with the safety rail? It's completely pointless in any way.
A loving rope would work better as you climb this loving indoor slope.

All the split staircases like these also assume the user has two good knees/ankles. I'd love to be cut off from an entire floor of my house because I twist an ankle

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Those are some lovely welds. Whoever put such impractical stairs in place of actual, safe stairs to show off their decorating skills left them that ugly?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

My parents live in a house my great grandfather built in the 1950s. There's a pocket door between the kitchen and living room - and it's been completely trouble free for 65 years. Knowing my great grandfather, it's probably running on wheel bearings intended for the landing gear of a a Dornier cargo plane; he was an aircraft repair man and fond of over-engineering.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

what is with modern designers' obsession with death stairs?

looks super comfortable

bonus points for the beam at prime head-bonking height

photos taken moments before disaster

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It's part of the minimalism trend, I think. Plus, safety features look so gauche and interrupt the pure forms they find so appealing.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Space Kablooey posted:

I can't figure out to where this stairway leads. It looks like a skylight to me.

Same. That makes a lot more sense as an art installation than as an actual staircase.

Other issues aside, there's no way I'd trust some of these to support my weight.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Youth Decay posted:

This would be cool for storage but it needs a rail still

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Think about it this way: doesn't everyone want a bit of excitement and danger in their lives?
Will this be the day that flimsy slab gives way and dumps you 2 meters to the hard floor?
Will your head split open or will you just break a shinbone?
No one knows.:waycool:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Jows posted:

All the split staircases like these also assume the user has two good knees/ankles. I'd love to be cut off from an entire floor of my house because I twist an ankle

Better hope you don't get injured while you're upstairs, because I have no idea how someone would get you downstairs. I guess you call the fire department and hope they can winch you out the window or something.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Space Kablooey posted:

Roof access through the skylight. May be a deck up there.

Wondering if the railing was shopped in in an effort to impart a vague sense of sanity to the concept.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

In further adventures in the house we're renting:

It's a grille. Let's look behind it.

This is telling quite a story. At some point in the past, when the floors were replaced, the builders were tool lazy to cut out the baseboard, and just ran it straight over the vents, shifting the grilles a little higher to compensate. This reduces the size of the duct opening to less than half what it was designed to be.

But it gets better. Just before we moved in, the floors were replaced again, and again, the builders were too lazy to put the grilles in the right place. Except this time, the baseboard was half an inch longer than before. So the old anchors were in the wrong place. Problem? Nah, they just screwed directly into the drywall instead.

Except, the reason I opened this grille up in the first place was because I noticed a draft coming through it. This is meant to be an air return for the furnace, but when the furnace runs, it doesn't actually suck any air in. It looks to me like the air returns were meant to run through the open space between the floor and the basement ceiling. Except that space is now jammed with insulation, probably because at some point in the past the basement was used for a cannabis grow-op. And the outside of the actual ducts seems to ancient wooden boards with giant gaps between them, lying just under the vinyl siding of the house. So these air returns do nothing except vent air from the outside.

This has obviously been going on for a long, long, time. One of the "bedrooms", that I'm using as an office, has one of these returns, and tended to get very cold in winter/hot in summer. The previous tenants, who lived here for eight years, even mentioned it. "Oh yeah, that room gets really cold. :iiam:". Well, mystery loving solved. Last night I went around with caulking tape, blocked all of these vents, put back the purely-cosmetic grilles, and called it a day. The house feels warmer already. I'm sure they've already cost us at least a few hundred dollars in extra heating bills.

In short, the house we're renting is a palimpsest of crappy construction.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Planning and forethought are for scrubs.
:c00lbutt:do it fast do it quick 24/7:coolspot:

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

God drat you

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

PainterofCrap posted:

Roof access through the skylight. May be a deck up there.

Even better.

Get loaded up on the deck, come down stairs, fall break neck.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

MRC48B posted:

This one is art.

You laugh but this lash-up got Apollo 13 home safely.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Gotta new stretch goal for my next Cities Skylines game...

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Lead out in cuffs posted:

In further adventures in the house we're renting:

It's a grille. Let's look behind it.

This is telling quite a story. At some point in the past, when the floors were replaced, the builders were tool lazy to cut out the baseboard, and just ran it straight over the vents, shifting the grilles a little higher to compensate. This reduces the size of the duct opening to less than half what it was designed to be.

But it gets better. Just before we moved in, the floors were replaced again, and again, the builders were too lazy to put the grilles in the right place. Except this time, the baseboard was half an inch longer than before. So the old anchors were in the wrong place. Problem? Nah, they just screwed directly into the drywall instead.

Except, the reason I opened this grille up in the first place was because I noticed a draft coming through it. This is meant to be an air return for the furnace, but when the furnace runs, it doesn't actually suck any air in. It looks to me like the air returns were meant to run through the open space between the floor and the basement ceiling. Except that space is now jammed with insulation, probably because at some point in the past the basement was used for a cannabis grow-op. And the outside of the actual ducts seems to ancient wooden boards with giant gaps between them, lying just under the vinyl siding of the house. So these air returns do nothing except vent air from the outside.

This has obviously been going on for a long, long, time. One of the "bedrooms", that I'm using as an office, has one of these returns, and tended to get very cold in winter/hot in summer. The previous tenants, who lived here for eight years, even mentioned it. "Oh yeah, that room gets really cold. :iiam:". Well, mystery loving solved. Last night I went around with caulking tape, blocked all of these vents, put back the purely-cosmetic grilles, and called it a day. The house feels warmer already. I'm sure they've already cost us at least a few hundred dollars in extra heating bills.

In short, the house we're renting is a palimpsest of crappy construction.

We just moved into a 60s rancher in North Van and have the same thing going on with the air returns, minus the baseboard. I thought it was weird that the returns are an empty void in a wall instead of a duct, but according to our duct cleaners it's common.

Of course it should be an interior wall free of insulation, that's fuckin stupid.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Umm.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Youth Decay posted:

That's how I broke my clavicle at that age

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

StormDrain posted:

Whats the bet on when it's back in style?

Considering I just replaced mine in fall, this spring.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

It's like my house was designed to make mud in front of the door. Water pools on concrete in front of the stoop, it freezes into a thick sheet of ice, the shadow of the porchlet blocks the sun so it melts slowly, and there's no front walkway so getting to the car wears down the grass. The ground just goes squish.

Bonus points for all the other crappy construction you can spot. I hate this house but the location is great and the rent is absurdly low and hasn't been raised in the ten years we've lived here.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Couple bags of broken stone will fix that right up. Plus, it's not permanent.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
No joke, I feel very stupid for never having thought of that. Doubt the landlord would care--he certainly doesn't care about much else (although he did unfreeze the pipes last week).

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

That has to be one of the biggest, simplest, quality of life improvements possible. When I bought my house the front walk was cheap pavers scattered haphazardly sinking into the mud (probably a tenant's attempt to solve the problem now that I think about it) and it just sucks so bad to have to tromp through mud to get to/from your car to the house.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Bonus points for all the other crappy construction you can spot. I hate this house but the location is great and the rent is absurdly low and hasn't been raised in the ten years we've lived here.

Well you renting it certainly saves him money on having it torn down.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Another good dump.

https://imgur.com/gallery/aNzjhk9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

~MENACING~