Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

DoomTrainPhD posted:

For this thread: I am selling my 18 3DLR. 40k miles, metallic blue, new tires on the referral wheels, and I have the original wheels as well.

35K is what I owe, 35k is what I am selling for. If you are interested and willing to meet in the SoCal area or up to 6 hours away, let me know!
why selling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Bob A Feet posted:

Anyone know about the Chrysler Pacifica PHEV? I’m minivan shopping and the dealer is taking a lot of money off of them v the normal gas version.

Also I know literally 0 about electric vehicles

I know they won a bunch of awards. Specifically truck of the year

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 21, 2021

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

I would rather save the money and pay down some debt.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

DoomTrainPhD posted:

For this thread: I am selling my 18 3DLR. 40k miles, metallic blue, new tires on the referral wheels, and I have the original wheels as well.

35K is what I owe, 35k is what I am selling for. If you are interested and willing to meet in the SoCal area or up to 6 hours away, let me know!

You should also post this in the stickied marketplace thread.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Elmnt80 posted:

You should also post this in the stickied marketplace thread.

Oh yeah! Good idea! I always browse SA by bookmark so I forget other threads exist. :unsmith:

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
I think I'm going to buy a Tesla Y. I'm coming off a 2010 Prius in socal. I don't feel like this is a good decision and yet here I am...

I had my heart set on a XC40 recharge but they are more expensive, seem hard to get and seem just all around not there yet. I love the interior of the Volvo and I love carplay but the Tesla seems like more of a total package for some reason.

edit: To not be so vague. I did a lot of online research and the Tesla Y seems to check all my boxes except that Tesla's in general seem to be not well built and it seems like you are locked into an eco system like Apple. I want waze in my dash. I want a normal speedometer. It's a very seductive offering however and like I said checks most of my boxes. The Volvo XC40 I thought would be the best choice just because it looks awesome inside an out. That being said it definitely doesn't seem like the future of driving or anything like the Tesla does. If I'm honest I don't need the extra range the Tesla offers but... I dunno they just seem to have it way more figured out.

particle9 fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Feb 22, 2021

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

particle9 posted:

I think I'm going to buy a Tesla Y.

What are your requirements and budget? How long are you going to keep it for? Personally I would not, but there are not all that many options. Have you considered an Id.4?

Also:

DoomTrainPhD posted:

As a Model3 Dual Motor owner: Do not buy a Tesla. Yes, they are fast, but after you get used to the acceleration, you will have a car that has a mediocre interior, horrific build quality, and terrible customer service. Also, you will be making Musk richer.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Are you dead set on buying like now? There's a ton of stuff coming out in the next 6 or so months if you're not against first model year. The ID.4 is due starting with 1sts in march, but you'd be looking at june at the earliest if you haven't reserved one The ariya is also due sometime late this year, and kia/hyundai have something they're doing an event for tomorrow that may drop this year. Then there's the new bolts / refreshed kona (hopefully that don't catch fire) and the mach-e.

Also with the rumor that tesla might get some tax credit back, I wouldn't be rushing into a purchase even if I wanted a tesla specifically.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Do be sure to wait until late Tuesday night / Wednesday AM (depending on time zone) when the new Hyundai CUV is revealed, if you're dead set on an SUV type thingy. I don't see the appeal of a Y over a 3 in Southern California though, unless you're a skier or something.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Charles posted:

Do be sure to wait until late Tuesday night / Wednesday AM (depending on time zone) when the new Hyundai CUV is revealed, if you're dead set on an SUV type thingy. I don't see the appeal of a Y over a 3 in Southern California though, unless you're a skier or something.

The event is in 22 hours, and I'm pretty excited for it

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

gwrtheyrn posted:

The event is in 22 hours, and I'm pretty excited for it

Right, I was a day off on dates, so yeah, can't wait to see how it stacks up.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Charles posted:

I don't see the appeal of a Y over a 3 in Southern California though, unless you're a skier or something.

Don't really see it then either. The 3 can comfortably carry skis inside or on a roof rack, there's only a small significant "sports utility" difference in the Y over the 3. If I was carrying a mountain bike regularly inside the car, then I'd definitely want a Y. But only now and then, I'd just get a rack on the 3's hitch.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The Audi Q4 will be out soon, though I guess it's a way of spending more money on an ID.4. I also remembered the Macan is going full EV next year as well.

https://www.caranddriver.com/audi/q4-e-tron

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsche/macan/106119/new-2022-porsche-macan-ev-leaked

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
I got a Model Y. I think it’s a fantastic car. The tech package has no comparison I’m aware of. I watched a review of the Mach E and the screen looks laggy as gently caress and the menu annoying to navigate. That would drive me nuts. Tesla absolutely nailed the UX. The interior feels great to me, but it’s probably not “luxury”. It’s on the same level as a top trim Mazda or VW.

An additional, hard to ignore reason you’d pick Tesla over other EVs in 2021 is the charging network. Unless you never plan to road trip I don’t see how you EV in America without it. It fills up the car in a reasonable amount of time to get a snack and stretch your legs vs hours on level 2 charging. It’s going to take awhile before other companies catch up on that.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Summit posted:

I got a Model Y. I think it’s a fantastic car. The tech package has no comparison I’m aware of. I watched a review of the Mach E and the screen looks laggy as gently caress and the menu annoying to navigate. That would drive me nuts. Tesla absolutely nailed the UX. The interior feels great to me, but it’s probably not “luxury”. It’s on the same level as a top trim Mazda or VW.

An additional, hard to ignore reason you’d pick Tesla over other EVs in 2021 is the charging network. Unless you never plan to road trip I don’t see how you EV in America without it. It fills up the car in a reasonable amount of time to get a snack and stretch your legs vs hours on level 2 charging. It’s going to take awhile before other companies catch up on that.

In Europe, the non-Tesla charging networks are starting to come around. Great in the Netherlands, pretty good in Norway, Germany and Switzerland, etc. But since the Model 3 and Y comes with CCS, it isn't really a good argument against going Tesla, because you get the supercharger network plus all the other networks.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I have a strong feeling Tesla will have to conform to CCS1 when EA & EVgo finally get their poo poo together.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

It looks like teslabjorn has uploaded his maché videos to his main account

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
People keep saying that the non-tesla networks in the US are catching up. But anytime I see an actual test they fail miserably. They may catch up some day, but they aren't there yet.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

ilkhan posted:

People keep saying that the non-tesla networks in the US are catching up. But anytime I see an actual test they fail miserably. They may catch up some day, but they aren't there yet.

EA is the only one even close to matching Tesla's deployment strategy (positioning themselves down interstate corridors). But watch any road trip video relying on EA and it appears there is at least 1-2 stations broken at every EA site, and it's even worse if you are trying to rely on the credit card readers.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Honestly I give people a lot of credit who are adopting an EV as their only car, Tesla or not. Even with their charging network, it seems like such a hassle if you have to take it long distances. If my wife didn't have a big enough ICE car for our family for road trips, I don't think I'd be buying an EV.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I've supercharged about 12k miles so far, and only came across 2 stations where a cable wasn't working, and one of them was vandalized. The only real issue I can see with relying on supercharging is that they're mostly in hotel parking lots, and that can be problematic if it's late and they lock their doors.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
nope

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 6, 2022

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I'm probably an outlier case, but I can't imagine any scenarios that I'd want to travel more than 300km one way in a single day non-stop. Even when I fly to Calgary to ski, the farthest I'm going to drive is Golden or Fernie, which are both under 300km away. A trip that far will usually have an overnight stay, and even if not, would definitely have a stop on the way back for food. Maybe I have a fundamental misunderstanding of what a road trip is, and most people think it's about covering the most possible amount of distance in the least possible amount of time, but I don't think it's unreasonable or unfathomable to do a road trip in a non-tesla. The longest road trip I've done is Mukilteo to San Francisco via Eugene, Eureka, and Sonoma overnights, with side trips and meandering, and that was just over 1000 miles with no day greater than 300 miles (and even that one broken up with a stop in Portland). That was a road trip. Also could be done without supercharging.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Lol when I moved from Michigan to SoCal I traveled from Kansas to New Mexico in a single sitting. I took two of my adderals, one in the morning and one around 1700 to keep me going. We arrived at 3am and I woke up at 9am and kept going. (I wake up naturally after 5 - 6 hours of sleep.)

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I know way too many people who brag about how they'll drive for 500+ miles without bathroom breaks so obviously stopping to charge their EVs is totally out of the question for them. Congrats on their choice to risk their health to save an hour a day, I guess.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I've done multiple 2000 mile trips with my 3 and the supercharger network is awesome. Plugin for 20 minutes, take dogs for a short walk and water, get back in and drive for a few more hours and do it again. I think it added 5 hours to my usual trip to my mom's house, but an additional 5 hours over a 2-3 day drive is hardly noticeable. Based on what I have seen, I cant imagine using EA as my sole charging option.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I know way too many people who brag about how they'll drive for 500+ miles without bathroom breaks so obviously stopping to charge their EVs is totally out of the question for them. Congrats on their choice to risk their health to save an hour a day, I guess.

I've had to drive ~300 miles for work meaning I get off work, drive, and be at work 300 miles away the next day. I could do that on one gas stop and pee break on my old ICE car and it drove my decision to get a Volt. If I had to stop for a charge up I'd get in a lot later and miss more sleep. I know I'm an edge case or whatever but there are a lot of odd cases still out there.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I’ve still got a first-production Model 3LR, and it’s still awesome. For every person that loving hates theirs, there’s five or six that are perfectly happy with one.

Before the 3 debuted, there were 4 Tesla’s at work, 2 S and 2 X. Now there are sixteen, and only one person (who is an anal-retentive perfectionist and ordered a black car) has had any significant issues (that all stemmed from the local Tesla-contracted bodyshop loving up by the numbers and dropping something on his car, not from any huge production issue.)

:shrug:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

I've had to drive ~300 miles for work meaning I get off work, drive, and be at work 300 miles away the next day. I could do that on one gas stop and pee break on my old ICE car and it drove my decision to get a Volt. If I had to stop for a charge up I'd get in a lot later and miss more sleep. I know I'm an edge case or whatever but there are a lot of odd cases still out there.

There's endless variations of situations like that you could mention, but what's the argument? We shouldn't do EVs because of them? What about if there was a known 1 hour construction delay, would you cancel the trip then? Or if the destination was 1 more hour away? In the grand scheme of things, charging en route is a tiny engineerable problem, and the social, professional etc reasons we take long trips are shaped by the conditions they emerged in. When conditions change, people adapt. It wasn't like your great grandfather was doing the same trip via pony express before the car was invented.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I have a 2020 Model 3 Performance (w/18" wheels) and I haven't had any problems with it. No fit and finish problems, no rattles, no glitches. At the worst I'd say parts of its design aren't the greatest when it comes to a vehicle that has no garage in a Wisconsin winter.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

particle9 posted:

The Volvo XC40 I thought would be the best choice just because it looks awesome inside an out. That being said it definitely doesn't seem like the future of driving or anything like the Tesla does. If I'm honest I don't need the extra range the Tesla offers but... I dunno they just seem to have it way more figured out.

Buy the Tesla if it makes the most sense for your needs and you don’t mind the possible issues that you’ve already researched. Don’t buy it because you think it’s “the future of driving.” It’s just another car.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

My CCS anecdote: the last time we took our Bolt EV on a winter trip to see family, it added over 2 hours to our 4 hour trip (6+) because the only ccs charger in their town capped out at 19 kW (closer to 11 kW most of the time) and we had to wait at the second dcfc because there weren't enough stations at the site. We take my Volt now in the winter. We were absolutely hungrily eyeing the 14 empty superchargers while fast charging at 11 kW...

In some areas it's absolutely competitive, and in 5 years it will probably be fine. But today in the US, it overall is not and I'd be extremely hesitant to buy a CCS car as my only vehicle without some assurance of the CCS units in my usual go to areas.

particle9 posted:

I think I'm going to buy a Tesla Y. I'm coming off a 2010 Prius in socal. I don't feel like this is a good decision and yet here I am...

I had my heart set on a XC40 recharge but they are more expensive, seem hard to get and seem just all around not there yet. I love the interior of the Volvo and I love carplay but the Tesla seems like more of a total package for some reason.

Might be worth looking at the Mustang Mach E too, if you aren't 100% sold yet.

E: I like the new thread tag. :shobon:

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Popero posted:

Honestly I give people a lot of credit who are adopting an EV as their only car, Tesla or not. Even with their charging network, it seems like such a hassle if you have to take it long distances. If my wife didn't have a big enough ICE car for our family for road trips, I don't think I'd be buying an EV.

It's a bit of a hassle but not a huge deal. I'm usually stopping to go to the bathroom, get a drink or a bite to eat about when I need to charge anyway. Time of year is important too. Driving into the wind on the freeway during winter? Yeah you're going to be making extra stops for sure. If I did a lot of trips, I would definitely get the most battery I could and that's pretty expensive considering we're still in early adopter days. When I got my car there was a 20k price difference between SR+ and LR, factoring in the tax credit up here. I wasn't paying 20k for AWD, some speakers and 100km of extra battery.

I wouldn't do many long distance trips in my Model 3 SR+ anyway, it's a glorified grocery getter and I only use it for short to medium distance stuff. But the few times I've had to stop have been brief and I didn't really mind. We are planning a drive down to Nashville when the COVID-19 stuff settles down so we'll see if I change my tune then!

KillerKatten
Oct 26, 2010
Just clocked over 30000 km in my Model 3 AWD+/Stealth Performance or whatever people call it. Thought I should post some words.

Quality:
Had a rattling sound when I bought it. Mobile Service came two-three days after I submitted service ticket, and found a loose bolt behind a panel.
I noticed after like a year the rear passenger door were a bit misaligned and had scratched some paint. Got that fixed hassle-free, only downside is that the Model S I got as a loaner felt slow rear end hell. I fear I've been ruined by the insane torque and power and will never be able to enjoy another car.

Other than that I got nothing but gushing praise for this thing. The acceleration is ofcourse hilarious, it handles loving great, the sound system kicks rear end. The range is more than adequate, and Supercharging is easy, fast, integrated and just works. Since I took delivery of the car it's gotten 5% more power, YouTube, Netflix etc, loads of games, dashcam features, track mode, sentry mode upgrades, a music program that's really cool and much more through updates.

I was a bit sceptical and wouldn't have chosen white interior if I had the choice (the car was prespecced) but I've been very positively surprised. Even with the minimal/nonexistent amount of attention I've given my seats, they still look bright and nice as the day I bought it.

So yeah, 10/10 would buy again

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Finger Prince posted:

I'm probably an outlier case, but I can't imagine any scenarios that I'd want to travel more than 300km one way in a single day non-stop. Even when I fly to Calgary to ski, the farthest I'm going to drive is Golden or Fernie, which are both under 300km away. A trip that far will usually have an overnight stay, and even if not, would definitely have a stop on the way back for food. Maybe I have a fundamental misunderstanding of what a road trip is, and most people think it's about covering the most possible amount of distance in the least possible amount of time, but I don't think it's unreasonable or unfathomable to do a road trip in a non-tesla. The longest road trip I've done is Mukilteo to San Francisco via Eugene, Eureka, and Sonoma overnights, with side trips and meandering, and that was just over 1000 miles with no day greater than 300 miles (and even that one broken up with a stop in Portland). That was a road trip. Also could be done without supercharging.
My May road trip was 3800 miles over 5 days of driving (2 days out, 3 days back, with a week in between and some sights on the way back even). We did our move in July (1700 miles) in 3 days. Not normal, but it does happen on road trips. Day 1 of that was reno to cheyenne. With a 3 week old.

I've done 350km (total) round trips in the same day on, if not a lot of occasions than at least more than a few.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 22, 2021

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

PIZZA.BAT posted:

It looks like teslabjorn has uploaded his maché videos to his main account

Seems nice for winter driving, even if the consumption is a tad high.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpQpjk6GETc

The small difference in uphill/downhill consumption (+/- 800 m elevation) says something about the conditions, I think heavy-ish snow like that is worse than colder weather with dry roads.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Buy the Tesla if it makes the most sense for your needs and you don’t mind the possible issues that you’ve already researched. Don’t buy it because you think it’s “the future of driving.” It’s just another car.

Man, I know some people who have bought Models 3s claiming they will keep it for 30 years since it's futureproof and nothing on it will wear out.

I think they _may_ be a tad optimistic.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ilkhan posted:

My May road trip was 3800 miles over 5 days of driving (2 days out, 3 days back, with a week in between and some sights on the way back even). We did our move in July (1700 miles) in 3 days. Not normal, but it does happen on road trips. Day 1 of that was reno to cheyenne. With a 3 week old.

I've done 350km (total) round trips in the same day on, if not a lot of occasions than at least more than a few.

Yeah 350km in a day round trip is easy, I've done it loads. But you don't need enroute charging for that at all. Personally, I struggle to think of anywhere I'd want to go that's 600km from electricity, that doesn't a) have an airport or b) also have electricity (Texas aside). But, I also don't have 3 dogs and 2 toddlers I need to bring from Jacksonville to Omaha to visit grandma for Easter. My mom lives on the other side of Canada from me, and if I had to drive to visit her, I'd never see her again.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Man, I know some people who have bought Models 3s claiming they will keep it for 30 years since it's futureproof and nothing on it will wear out.

I think they _may_ be a tad optimistic.

That seems kind of nuts, I haven't heard that from anyone. I personally did a Total Cost of Ownership comparison with 2 other cars I was looking at where I amortized the costs over 6 years. I rarely buy a new car but if I do, I keep it at least 5 years and usually more like 6-8, barring unforeseen events like accidents or etc. I wouldn't want to keep a car much longer than that anyway due to new tech and other safety improvements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Lol when I moved from Michigan to SoCal I traveled from Kansas to New Mexico in a single sitting. I took two of my adderals, one in the morning and one around 1700 to keep me going. We arrived at 3am and I woke up at 9am and kept going. (I wake up naturally after 5 - 6 hours of sleep.)

Oh hey, I remember another goon who used Adderall or "Adderall" to do long distance drives, and things didn't end up swimmingly for him. 💩

Anyways I wouldn't hesitate to do a road trip with a Tesla -- the one I rented left me with no hesitation about that. I guess if you're one of those people who doesn't stop to eat or whatever, then fine, a gas car is better for you. Don't post in this thread please.