Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Motronic posted:

Oh good thing you're getting your "excavator certification" then.

Good point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

stealie72 posted:

Nah, I've built a ranch with sips before and each panel needed like 3 guys. They're not all that heavy. To me, the best part is that all the fiddly work is done on the ground, making sure you have a level and square footer. After that, the sips just go up like nothing. A crew of handy amateurs got the exterior walls up in a day.

We did use a tall fork loader to get the trusses on top of the walls when it was time to do the roof.

Unfortunately I don't have many useful friends like that even if I pay them. Just maybe one. I tried to recruit people for the sledgehammer demo and was met with crickets.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Rytheric posted:

Do I need paint over the poly? I want to still see the wood.

No, the poly is the protective layer.

These are my French doors that are unstained and just have clear poly over them.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Wait your van has been failing inspection all this time lol

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Rytheric posted:

Unfortunately I don't have many useful friends like that even if I pay them. Just maybe one. I tried to recruit people for the sledgehammer demo and was met with crickets.

You are going to find lifting and setting your timbers to be difficult and dangerous then, without some sort of mechanical assistance.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

AdmiralViscen posted:

Wait your van has been failing inspection all this time lol

It only gets inspected once a year...

Edit: I feel I need to elaborate. When I got the truck the previous owner got the wrong year seats and didn't have them fastened to the floor. So I got the right seats, but I didn't have enough bolts to anchor it all down. That didn't matter because the back wall of the cab prevented prevented seats from rocking back when I accelerate and the tension held it in place that when the po po inspected it, they deemed safe enough.

I took the back wall out though so nothing is holding them in place except to back bolts. So now I have more bolts and can tighten them down and send it for inspection.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 22, 2021

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Elviscat posted:

You are going to find lifting and setting your timbers to be difficult and dangerous then, without some sort of mechanical assistance.

I know a few tricks from sailing on how to hoist things. Give me some rope and pulleys and some wrenches and I will get it up there if necessary or I will cut my torso in half trying. Actually I think the heaviest timber is like 500lbs or so, so I won't get hurt too bad.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Rytheric posted:

It only gets inspected once a year...

And if it fails inspection, what, they just let it go for another year?

My state only does emissions testing, not full inspections. But for that, a failed test doesn't mean "oh well, maybe it'll do better next year", it means "your testing deadline has not changed, so fix the problem and re-test (and pass!) before that date or your car ceases to be road-legal".

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Rytheric posted:

I know a few tricks from sailing on how to hoist things. Give me some rope and pulleys and some wrenches and I will get it up there if necessary or I will cut my torso in half trying. Actually I think the heaviest timber is like 500lbs or so, so I won't get hurt too bad.

What are you going to hoist it from?

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Elviscat posted:

What are you going to hoist it from?

The bent. Its actually fairly well explained in the book. I have to modify it a little for single operation. Usually I use multiple ropes when I pull tension lock it, pull tension on another rope and lock it. And so forth. It's how you have to raise a mast out of the water. Except instead of perpendicular to the wall, parallel.

This is the book I'm building from if people want to follow along.

Learn to Timber Frame: Craftsmanship, Simplicity, Timeless Beauty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015X2PG80/ref=cm_sw_r_u_apa_Y0G31V312NSA70SXNRG1

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Powered Descent posted:

And if it fails inspection, what, they just let it go for another year?

My state only does emissions testing, not full inspections. But for that, a failed test doesn't mean "oh well, maybe it'll do better next year", it means "your testing deadline has not changed, so fix the problem and re-test (and pass!) before that date or your car ceases to be road-legal".

My truck only requires a safety test since it's older than 20 years.

South Carolina in comparison doesn't even have safety inspections.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 22, 2021

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Rytheric posted:

I know a few tricks from sailing on how to hoist things. Give me some rope and pulleys and some wrenches and I will get it up there if necessary or I will cut my torso in half trying.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Rytheric posted:

Do I need paint over the poly? I want to still see the wood.

You're gonna fit in really well in the house flipping market.

The337th fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Feb 22, 2021

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Ry gonna die.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rytheric posted:

The down side of using sips is that you essentially need a crane to install it.

Rytheric posted:

I know a few tricks from sailing on how to hoist things.

I'm so confused. You'll need to lift rafters eventually and that will also require some way to lift them into place which will be just as heavy as SIPS. You'll also want to lift your roofing materials up there instead of using a ladder over and over which is super not safe to do as many times as you'll need to move all the shingles for a roof.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Feb 22, 2021

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Well, I think he just confused himself on the weight of these SIPs.

I watched a youtube video once of a guy building framing by himself using pulleys etc. although that was of course stick framing and not timber.
I think it would be doable without a crane although questionably safe.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

um excuse me posted:

I'm so confused. You'll need to lift rafters eventually and that will also require some way to lift them into place which will be just as heavy as SIPS. You'll also want to lift your roofing materials up there instead of using a ladder over and over which is super not safe to do as many times as you'll need to move all the shingles for a roof.

The rafters don't look like an issue. They aren't anywhere near as heavy as the top plate Timbers. Mainly when you get to the roof level you already have your loft in place or scaffolding where there isn't a loft. This is how the book shows. I seen a video where the just dragged the rafters and timber plate up the side. You can also just assemble the rafters on the loft or scaffolding and tilt it up like the walls.

Here is how the book recommends the doing the top plate Timbers. They used 6 guys which I can probably use pulleys and cleats to substitute, but ive seen it done with just two people.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So then what's the deal with needing a crane with SIPS? I'd just tilt them up like a regular wall.

Note this video is a SIPS construction that has two floors and no crane or other machine to lift into place. Also note how loving fast they built it. One of the advantages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iAfVfPwSUg

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 22, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

I have to find my phone that doesn't have a broken camera. I will post when I can.

Convenient.

Rytheric posted:

My truck only requires a safety test since it's older than 20 years.

South Carolina in comparison doesn't even have safety inspections.

So technically if you live in the truck all you have to do is drive it to south carolina and you're totally legal.

um excuse me posted:

Note this video is a SIPS construction that has two floors and no crane or other machine to lift into place. Also note how loving fast they built it. One of the advantages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iAfVfPwSUg

Did you get bored with your own link and not make it to the end? The crane pulls up around the 15:00 mark.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
A couple of centuries ago people used to build houses without cranes all the time. Surely, one could easily replicate these ancient techniques.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Paladinus posted:

A couple of centuries ago people used to build houses without cranes all the time. Surely, one could easily replicate these ancient techniques.

Not while using modern materials (like pre-made trusses) and/or without any friends. Because things were put together in man-handleable pieces or you did the amish barn raising thing where you build walls on the ground and had literally the entire town there to help you life them into place.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Motronic posted:

Convenient.

So technically if you live in the truck all you have to do is drive it to south carolina and you're totally legal.

Did you get bored with your own link and not make it to the end? The crane pulls up around the 15:00 mark.

That was for roofing of a two story single family home. That wasn't at all applicable to the construction of the walls of a single story Murderhaus.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

um excuse me posted:

That was for roofing of a two story single family home. That wasn't at all applicable to the construction of the walls of a single story Murderhaus.

He's still got to set trusses somehow, and someone who doesn't even know that polyurethane is the protective layer doesn't have any idea how to do this manually, by themselves, from a book.

But then again, that's why were all here, to watch how this fever dream implodes.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
OP says he has that covered with that lifting mechanism from his book, and to his credit I have seen stick trusses assembled by a single person before. Like I said before though I think he would be missing out on some primo head space and lighting by not making a cathedral ceiling with a dormer using SIPS.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Here's an idea. You make a huge dirt mound, then dig a hole in the middle where the building goes, and bam, you've got easy access to the top of the building. Just lower all building parts down in the right order and remove the rest of the dirt when the house is done.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Paladinus posted:

Here's an idea. You make a huge dirt mound, then dig a hole in the middle where the building goes, and bam, you've got easy access to the top of the building. Just lower all building parts down in the right order and remove the rest of the dirt when the house is done.

I mean that's what the ancient Egyptians did, except they used sand.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land

Tunicate posted:

I mean that's what the ancient Egyptians did, except they used sand.

GroverTruk: Build like an Egyptian :ironicat:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I finally got to the end of this thread (so far) and holy poo poo is this a wild ride

one of the best threads in years on SA and I am so glad I came back to witness this live and in person :suspense:

Ry, you keep doing you ya crazy rear end diamond. I cannot wait to see what's next!

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

Rytheric posted:

I hate drywall though, so let that be known.

Drywall should only be used in the proper applications, like load bearing walls.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Rytheric posted:

I just have horrible impulse control, so I lock my money away from myself. I unlocked it though for this property purchase though so I'm trying not to squander it lol.
literally one week later:

Rytheric posted:

I accidently set up a $500 date in the immediate future though
rytheric, i love you, this will not end well.

have you looked into the idea of a spendthrift trust? because even you acknowledge that unless physically prevented from doing so you will piss away every penny you earn, and blowing five hundred dollars on a first date when you have heavy monetary obligations in the extremely near term is quite literally self-harm from an economic standpoint

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

please in the future make sure that significant safety devices like a vehicle seat are installed as intended /properly. A seat should be properly secured as just 2 bolts may have resulted in occupant ejection as the seat pops up and bashes you through the glass. Also ensure that you didn't just go to home depot and buy some 12M bolts, ensure that you are using the same grade bolt.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

tater_salad posted:

please in the future make sure that significant safety devices like a vehicle seat are installed as intended /properly. A seat should be properly secured as just 2 bolts may have resulted in occupant ejection as the seat pops up and bashes you through the glass. Also ensure that you didn't just go to home depot and buy some 12M bolts, ensure that you are using the same grade bolt.

Are you sure ejection seats aren’t a feature? GroverPlane?

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

taqueso posted:

door pics?

Here is a pic of the doors. Unfortunately I left them outside last night not expecting it to rain so I'm hoping they don't warp lol. Poor photo quality to satiate someones impatience lol.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Motronic posted:

He's still got to set trusses somehow, and someone who doesn't even know that polyurethane is the protective layer doesn't have any idea how to do this manually, by themselves, from a book.

But then again, that's why were all here, to watch how this fever dream implodes.

You mean the ability to put a peg in a hole? Or a tenon in a mortise. I think I learned that as a toddler.

Also I know polyurethane was the protective layer. I was asking if the paint one suggested was necessary.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Did you take that pic on a Palm Treo lol

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Rytheric posted:

Here is a pic of the doors. Unfortunately I left them outside last night not expecting it to rain so I'm hoping they don't warp lol. Poor photo quality to satiate someones impatience lol.

Interior unfinished doors left out in the rain? yeah those are gonna warp.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

So you bought three slab doors with no hardware, hinges or frame. This is gonna go great.

Rytheric posted:

You mean the ability to put a peg in a hole? Or a tenon in a mortise. I think I learned that as a toddler.

Lifting them into place there, ace. But you keep on fever dreaming.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Motronic posted:

So you bought three slab doors with no hardware, hinges or frame. This is gonna go great.

Lifting them into place there, ace. But you keep on fever dreaming.

How inconceivable is it to imagine me laying a 5x5 against the side of a building and just pulling or hoisting it up then assembling it with another and just tilting it up. Here is a time lapse of one in a different style being build. No crane involved. This doesn't take super genius intelligence or strength to do.

https://youtu.be/0_naku8GRxg

I was in a rush for a date. I can get the hardware after I saw the bottom to size and poly the doors. The frame is essentially already done as I'm using the studs, sills, and plates as the frame.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Ry, you're in NC, right? I am too. There's an NC thread in the LAN subforum, so if you need some help building your house, I'm sure some of us would be happy to help. Not me, though. I have a heart problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hell yea let's drag more goons into this :gooncamp: