Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

redgubbinz posted:

Just once I want to see a clip of some poo poo falling off a car immediately followed by the camera car grabbing it off the road and driving off.

Heh. I nabbed a wheel once that fell off a trailer. Threw it into my van and drove down the block to where the guy had stopped, "Hey you dropped this!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ryanrs posted:

Heh. I nabbed a wheel once that fell off a trailer. Threw it into my van and drove down the block to where the guy had stopped, "Hey you dropped this!"

I once ran into a box that fell off a truck in front of me. This was on the highway though so I didn't stop there to check what was inside, could've been bitcoins.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

I once ran into a box that fell off a truck in front of me. This was on the highway though so I didn't stop there to check what was inside, could've been bitcoins.

Maybe a red shell.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

once when i was driving for one of the not-a-taxi companies, there was a drat milk crate sitting in the road right before an intersection, so while the light was red i flipped on my hazards, got out, picked it up, and tossed it aside. except when you have a not a taxi company's symbol on your car and the hazards come on everyone behind you becomes a 28 days later rage zombie, so people started laying on their horns and poo poo when i did this. til they saw me throw the milk crate, and they stopped and the guy in front did that dumbass "sorry" wave we do when we're in a car

well thats my story

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Zero One posted:

Umm... Except for the very last video I didn't see any that were the camera owner's fault.

Unless you think getting cut off by someone who should be giving you the right of way is your fault?

If you don't do anything to prevent something you can see happening (even if it technically isn't your fault), you are a poo poo driver. This is also why insurance providers assign blame where the police doesn't.
Like mentioned, many of the dashcam people (especially if they upload more than once) go out of their way to be assholes that escalate situations. I wonder how these people think where they could have just let off the gas and let someone in, but instead chose to spend time and money having their car in for repairs after a totally avoidable accident...

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Yeah but right of way :downs:

eddyc49
Aug 25, 2004

MrOnBicycle posted:

If you don't do anything to prevent something you can see happening (even if it technically isn't your fault), you are a poo poo driver. This is also why insurance providers assign blame where the police doesn't.
Like mentioned, many of the dashcam people (especially if they upload more than once) go out of their way to be assholes that escalate situations. I wonder how these people think where they could have just let off the gas and let someone in, but instead chose to spend time and money having their car in for repairs after a totally avoidable accident...

Yeah, this is what I was trying to express in my previous post. I normally enjoy these videos, but I shut this one off about half way. A little defensive driving would have saved a lot of headaches by reducing accidents into annoyances.

On a related note, I have a well off work acquaintance in his late 20s who absolutely refuses to look before he crosses the street, because the law says cars have to stop for pedestrians in the crosswalk, and so he has the right of way. I guess I never considered that I was the silly one for calling him an idiot when he almost got hit, but i guess I'll take that possibility into consideration in the future.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

laying on the horn for a good five seconds straight has the double-bonus of helping avoid a crash AND being an rear end in a top hat, i would highly recommend it

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

OMGVBFLOL posted:

laying on the horn for a good five seconds straight has the double-bonus of helping avoid a crash AND being an rear end in a top hat, i would highly recommend it
Replace your horn fuse with an auto-resetting circuit breaker for longer lasting honks.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

https://i.imgur.com/BuO89x3.mp4

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Krakkles posted:

Replace your horn fuse with an auto-resetting circuit breaker for longer lasting honks.

When I was an obnoxious teen I'd wire in extra horns. On vehicles with multiple horns they blow notes that sound musical together, I chose notes that didn't. Furthermore, horns could be tuned back then, so I'd detune them so that even the normally musical pair would sound bad. Never blew a fuse, but I have to think I came close sometimes.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Couple of quick ones today, a standard boring red light run, hardly worth pulling but it was shortly followed by a Tesla auto(?) driving itself into a concrete barrier (white car in the 2nd clip). Oops.

https://i.imgur.com/EN0zWVM.mp4

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

hahaha that poor guy who gets hit by a seagull near the end :D

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Not sure if this is the correct thread, let me know. Got two questions about 360 surround view cameras:

(1) How decent are aftermarket 360 degree surround cameras? I know for dashcams its largely pointless (since most accidents happen front/rear), but I'm more interested in the top-view camera for parking/obstacles and the blindspot view with turn-signal
(2) Do most of these have integrated dashcam (or I guess they'd be install on the grille somewhere) features and are they good enough or if I also wanted a dashcam would I need to/want to get a seperate one?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APyQyAHqeZM

Yesterday morning I got behind a pickup truck going ridiculously slowly. I patiently waited until the dotted yellow before passing him, and he tried to brake check me... as I was passing. Not shown is the part where he angrily sped up and tried to keep up (I was doing about 60 in a 55, he had been doing... 25 before I passed him, not just on these roads but on a few others. I'd been the fourth car in line behind him but a couple of others went straight on a previous road while we both turned)

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 3, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I like the sunrise.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

CornHolio posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APyQyAHqeZM

Yesterday morning I got behind a pickup truck going ridiculously slowly. I patiently waited until the dotted yellow before passing him, and he tried to brake check me... as I was passing. Not shown is the part where he angrily sped up and tried to keep up (I was doing about 60 in a 55, he had been doing... 25 before I passed him, not just on these roads but on a few others. I'd been the fourth car in line behind him but a couple of others went straight on a previous road while we both turned)

I honestly think you just startled him. I personally put on my turn signal and creep to the left for a few seconds so it's prominently in their left mirror. People react in all sorts of funny ways when you pass them in the passing zone. I've learned the hard way while riding motorcycles

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Nitrox posted:

I honestly think you just startled him. I personally put on my turn signal and creep to the left for a few seconds so it's prominently in their left mirror. People react in all sorts of funny ways when you pass them in the passing zone. I've learned the hard way while riding motorcycles
Agreed. Unless he has the worst reaction time ever, that didn't look like he was trying to gotcha with a brake check, it looked like he reacted to a surprise by braking.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

people post the most benign poo poo. i miss the heady days of metiorites and people getting out of Ladas with axes

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Lightning strike to a rockslide immediately in front of the car is probably my favorite one.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That does not look like a 55mph road.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It was a bad post.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 4, 2021

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Maybe don't post NPC meme poo poo from a channel with a Pepe avatar?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Godholio posted:

That does not look like a 55mph road.

After the curve it's open country road for miles. Welcome to mid-Indiana. Before the curve, for a brief section it's 35 due to the houses so I maintained my distance while he did 30.

I didn't startle him, judging by his speeding way up and trying to match my speed (I don't know what he was trying to do, honestly). He was just being a dick.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

KozmoNaut posted:

Maybe don't post NPC meme poo poo from a channel with a Pepe avatar?

Pepe I get, but I'm about to be disappointed in humanity again when I look up what NPC memes are, aren't I?
Edit: Oh that's the grey guy's name. Well it was less racist than I figured it would be so that's a plus.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

AFewBricksShy posted:

Pepe I get, but I'm about to be disappointed in humanity again when I look up what NPC memes are, aren't I?
Edit: Oh that's the grey guy's name. Well it was less racist than I figured it would be so that's a plus.

At least it's not Nazi Player Character :godwin:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

AFewBricksShy posted:

It's generally used to dehumanize anyone who doesn't disagree with the meme-maker, casting them as someone with no more agency than an NPC in a game, just mindlessly repeating what they've been told to say.

You can see why it appeals to the alt-right.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh, I didn't know all that, I thought it was just making fun of the buggy AI / dialogue in Oblivion. I'll delete it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I mean, it might be. That's the problem with dogwhistles.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

The white Acadia at the end of this clip also used the median as a passing lane

https://i.imgur.com/Efdmf23.mp4

I guess the parking lot right next door wasn't good enough

https://i.imgur.com/dlLqm5o.mp4

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
New australian dashcam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st0wdrwCAKc

A collection of old and new cuts where the drivers aren't assholes for once

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

"If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna

https://i.imgur.com/B8V7mfF.mp4

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

SlowBloke posted:

New australian dashcam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st0wdrwCAKc

A collection of old and new cuts where the drivers aren't assholes for once

what's the deal with all the barefooted blokes

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

aussies slide from the womb with calloused feet

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

FBS posted:

what's the deal with all the barefooted blokes

It wasn't hot enough for a pair of thongs.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Godzilla07 posted:

"If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna

https://i.imgur.com/B8V7mfF.mp4

Nice E34 though

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
new dashcam australia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS70cpQbzIw

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

What makes driving in Florida extra spicy is the wide variance in driving styles, as seen in this interaction

https://i.imgur.com/WH0GpNI.mp4

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

:australia:

Godzilla07 posted:

What makes driving in Florida extra spicy is the wide variance in driving styles, as seen in this interaction

https://i.imgur.com/WH0GpNI.mp4

Head on over to Texas, where we drive like that even at 2mph:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdH3i9OiQuU

First clip: admittedly a 5-way intersection is a little awkward, but even so you gotta know which light is yours before you just head off into the wild blue yonder...

2nd clip: ladderbro did have the right of way, but the road splits in like 100ft so people heading South do need to get over. I'd classify this as two dicks being dicks to each other :flaccid: :flaccid: