Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

The Voice of Labor posted:

the diy groverbroadfork thread would be glorious

If you can weld you can make one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

also 8b and I'm sure they'd grow well but I can't get the fuckers to germinate, the nursery doesn't have starts/trees and I've been hesitant to order some. like, I think I just need to secure a stash of better/fresher seeds

have you tried the paper towel method for germination? that's what i do with everything when i'm not sure what conditions they need, everyone loves a warm, wet paper towel

if you have a lot of seeds you can risk, scarify a couple too and see if they don't get going way faster. last year i had a licorice seed sprout in a few days instead of the month it said on the bag

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

didn't do the paper towel thing. wife tried the tupperware/light dusting of topsoil thing though and that didn't work either. we've tried soaking them and scoring them and scoring them then soaking them, haven't tried freezing them but I'm reasonably sure loquats don't need that. I think the seeds just need to be fresh, like flesh still stuck to the seed and outside skin on the seed still pliable fresh. that, unfortunately, means it'll be, like, 6-8 months until it makes since to try and source seeds again.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I have a couple of healthy Rhododendrons that i'd like to replace with some kind of fruit bush or tree in Seattle. I'm thinkin a service berry Lotta pine needle drop in the area. Would this just like completely not work? I like my plants to be native and useful and rhodies are neither.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

silicone thrills posted:

I have a couple of healthy Rhododendrons that i'd like to replace with some kind of fruit bush or tree in Seattle. I'm thinkin a service berry Lotta pine needle drop in the area. Would this just like completely not work? I like my plants to be native and useful and rhodies are neither.

pacific rhododendrons are native, that’s why they grow everywhere here. if you want native berries salal berries grow well, oregon grapes as well, salmon berries perhaps depending on how much shade you have (the birds will eat these long before you ever manage to pick a single one, just a warning).

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Mr. Sharps posted:

pacific rhododendrons are native, that’s why they grow everywhere here. if you want native berries salal berries grow well, oregon grapes as well, salmon berries perhaps depending on how much shade you have (the birds will eat these long before you ever manage to pick a single one, just a warning).

I already have salmon berries and salal and I have some Oemleria cerasiformis and I recently planted thimbleberry and uhhh yeah i might be going a little wild with it.

I could have sworn rhodies werent native at all but they've been around long enough and adapted to the climate really well that people treat them as native.

My neighbors do the whole bee thing and rhodie flowers can make them produce toxic honey so I worry about that

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

silicone thrills posted:

I could have sworn rhodies werent native at all but they've been around long enough and adapted to the climate really well that people treat them as native.

Nah that’s Britain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDBYEoSIm3M

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Wild. I wonder if I just like read a British thing in the middle of the night when I was tired....

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

KEEP THE RHODIES

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

titty_baby_ posted:

KEEP THE RHODIES

They are such a loving pain. They grow so drat much every year and I have to hack back so much just to keep a path way around my house *huffs*

However, I walked around a minute ago and was like ... maybe i've planted enough berries in the last few years but you people talking about your fruit trees made me incredibly jealous and i have no where else a fruit tree would go.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Loquats are in my limited experience very easy to grow from seed. They almost all germinate in a variety of conditions. I find the seedings growing thickly where they fall, too.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

silicone thrills posted:

They are such a loving pain. They grow so drat much every year and I have to hack back so much just to keep a path way around my house *huffs*

However, I walked around a minute ago and was like ... maybe i've planted enough berries in the last few years but you people talking about your fruit trees made me incredibly jealous and i have no where else a fruit tree would go.

Lol I worked as a student gardener for a summer and all the gardeners hated them because there's over 400 on campus. I still like em tho

What kind of fruit tree could you grow in that climate anyway? Apples and maybe some cherries or something?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Apple, pear, plum, cherry, supposedly peach but I’m kinda suspicious they won’t taste their best in that climate.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I would just let thimbleberries take over your yard

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
My neighbors with apple and plums get an insane amount of tasty apples and plums. I'll just keep taking my free fruit from them and be happy

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I'm lucky that there's a shitload of old apple trees in yards around here no one cares about. Between them, blackberries, thimbleberries, salal, and strawberry trees, I get to urban forage for half the year.

My last place had raised beds that we used and a real low fence between our place and the neighbors. The neighbors died and the house was empty for years so id just hop the fence and help myself to apples whenever I wanted

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

titty_baby_ posted:

strawberry tree

you..you can eat those things?

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

you..you can eat those things?

you can indeed, they taste sort of like overripe watermelon and apricots. you can also eat the fruit of kousa dogwood which taste similar. both are real seedy though so I recommend making a jelly out of them but for weirding out passers by eating them right off the tree is a neat trick

edit: strawberry trees had a mast year here, sidewalks in my neighborhood had piles of the things rotting on the curbs for months. I made a lot of jelly

Mr. Sharps has issued a correction as of 04:34 on Feb 5, 2021

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I couldn't find a way to describe them but they kind of remin me of pomegranate. I love the flavour but the texture is mushy with a gritty exterior. Next year I want to gather a bunch to use in a mead

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There’s one particular specimen of Arbutus unedo I know of that has the most delicious fruits.

I tried growing seed from it, but I slowly killed them all through mistreatment.

I will endeavor to do better this year.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

dirt science
plastic tubes and pots and pans

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

ordered my seeds last week. lol at the supplier having a 30 day delay for shipping because of covid. Bad year to not order in November for the first time.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

nitrogen levels are dire

phosphorus is offa da chart

sadly, my potash isn't high so I can't make that joke

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Time to source some chicken poo poo

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

urea

the piss grape will be real

dan_the_blessed
Oct 24, 2020
Good Morning. Sharing our tomato plant progress for anyone interested. Enjoy.

Seeds started late December, germination in early January. Here is the first sign of germination. I didn't use a seed starter mix. Just some potting soil I had left over from last season with added perlite for improved drainage.

Here they are reaching for the grow light. Probably about 2 to 3 weeks in here.

Getting their 3rd/4th leaves. This is when you can begin to add fertilizer, so I understand.

This past weekend I transplanted them to their pots and they were moved to the greenhouse. We're about a month and some days in here.

These are the next two flats that were started about two weeks after the initial batch. They should be ready for transplanting this weekend. Now that it is warming up outside I don't use the grow lights. Greenhouse works just fine now.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
what about indoor plants? I wanna repot mine and be more considerate of soil health. any recommendations to get started? my local hardware store has a bunch of different brands of soil, I don’t know what to get or what to mix it with. I have some spider plants and chinese evergreens but would like to branch out after I give these some love

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Any fresh potting soil should do for spider plants. Theyre incredibly easy to grow.

I propagated this one from a "spiderling" 3 or 4 years ago with dirt from a lawn, and ive never changed the soil or reported it. You can see at this point the roots have grown so much theyre pushing soil out of the top. It blooms and makes spiderlings every year.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

uuuuuuugh

if this comes to pass, rip my peas and radishes and carrots, and probably my four foot meyer lemon that already lost half its leaves after experiencing its first freeze

i don't think it's ever gotten this cold in the 20 years i've lived in central texas

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dustcat posted:

uuuuuuugh

if this comes to pass, rip my peas and radishes and carrots, and probably my four foot meyer lemon that already lost half its leaves after experiencing its first freeze

i don't think it's ever gotten this cold in the 20 years i've lived in central texas

You can save the lemon. Cover it in blankets, and cover those in plastic. You may need to use stakes to support the weight of the blankets (and snow).

Then get some heat under there. Incandescent lamps work. If there’s no good way to run a cord to it, you can lug buckets of hot water out there and tuck them in under the blankets.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Platystemon posted:

You can save the lemon. Cover it in blankets, and cover those in plastic. You may need to use stakes to support the weight of the blankets (and snow).

Then get some heat under there. Incandescent lamps work. If there’s no good way to run a cord to it, you can lug buckets of hot water out there and tuck them in under the blankets.

I have one extension cord long enough, and a 200 watt ceramic heat lamp, that I was going to use for the chicken coop, but maybe we'll just bring them in that night and keep the tree toasty outside

the cats will be amazed!

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

titty_baby_ posted:

Any fresh potting soil should do for spider plants. Theyre incredibly easy to grow.

yah I’ve had mine for years. I tend to randomly repot them every year or so and then water, lots of shoots and sometimes they even flower. but the soil often looks crusty and compacted (as opposed to dry and dusty) which makes me think I can do more for soil health. idk where to start though

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Holy cow, how many PNW/zone 8b folks are there here?

Anyway, I’ve started filling my hotbed with seedlings, I do a mix of flowers and veggies. So far I’ve got sweet pea (“Blue Shift”), two types of peppers (“Mellow star shishito” and “Cozumel”) and three types of tomato (“Sweet Million”, “Pineapple”, “San Marzano Gigante”). I have several flats left to do of various flowers including dahlias and snapdragons. I had great luck with both last year.

edit:

Platystemon posted:

Apple, pear, plum, cherry, supposedly peach but I’m kinda suspicious they won’t taste their best in that climate.

Figs do well here, some almonds/filberts, pomegranates if you have enough sun and there is cold hardy citrus if you’re feeling cheeky. Yuzu apparently does well, but I haven’t done that just yet.

Solkanar512 has issued a correction as of 06:36 on Feb 18, 2021

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

drat, double checking the temperature break down, I don't think the low here dips below 20 very frequently so this should be zone 9. nice, that puts me one step further from greater idaho

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If you want cold-hardy citrus, I cannot recommend sudachi enough.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

lemon update: yeah, rip

when it became clear this was going to be a multiday hard freeze, we decided to allocate the heat lamp to keeping the chickens warm rather than trying to save a lemon that was clearly not meant for this climate

the first day after the snow, we opened up the coop to let the birds out, but they did not like the snow one bit and wouldn't even step in it to eat or drink, so we ended up shutting them in the coop for several days

and once their bird net collapsed in the freezing rain, we had to, anyway

the herbs in pots small enough to carry we brought in, but the big ones were left to take their chances

amazingly, the peas, covered with a blanket, seem to have pulled through, as have the spinach seedlings, which got no cover but the falling snow. the scallions are mildly damaged, as is the oregano, but the sage i left outside actually looks better than the one i brought indoors

today, everyone's back in the sun. i'm hoping the mint's roots survived, and radishes and carrots will be replanted when the soil in the big pots thaws

new life is getting ready to replace the dead! the tomatoes were left without light when the power cut off, so they're looking kinda bedraggled and dropping leaves, but hopefully they'll recover

here's hoping this was the last frost of the season!

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Yo check out Dollar Tree, they have seed packs for $.25 each. I just got $200+ worth of seeds for under $15. Sure I'll have to mimic Lysenkoism when I plant them, but it's still an insane deal.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Organic Lube User posted:

Yo check out Dollar Tree, they have seed packs for $.25 each. I just got $200+ worth of seeds for under $15. Sure I'll have to mimic Lysenkoism when I plant them, but it's still an insane deal.

Sweet, this answers the question I was going to ask. I picked up a couple of packs of seeds from home depot earlier this year and they were very hit or miss.

Any other goon approved seed buying places?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Organic Lube User posted:

this just reminded me i was taught lamarckism at my christian elementary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Sweet, this answers the question I was going to ask. I picked up a couple of packs of seeds from home depot earlier this year and they were very hit or miss.

Any other goon approved seed buying places?

i like ebay, you can't beat the prices of someone who's bought ten pounds of carrot seed and is selling them in 1/8 oz envelopes

also if you're looking for anything uncommon, odds are good there's several weirdos on ebay selling seeds they collected from theirs