Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rgxQMgw4bA

Owen takes a look at some... interesting classical films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

~15 minutes: "This can only be done in a tool assisted speedrun, it is impossible to do this humanly."

Okay, so how long until someone actually does this.

~35 minutes: "Sure enough, [CF] found away to make the shortcut humanly possible."

Hell yes.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
PushingUpRoses-"The History and Influence of Columbo - The Quirky Detective Who Won Our Hearts"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v3Fi9dDkYY

Sarcopenia fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 22, 2021

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Lindsay made a video

https://youtu.be/cHTMidTLO60

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Mr Phillby posted:

The film was heavily marketed as the thing you claim its a critique of.

Its all very well to say 'people will misinterpret anything' but I don't think its a strong critique if you can successfully market the movie as the thing its supposed to be arguing against without most of the audience noticing.

This leads me to the conclusion that like the media you say its a commentary of, the feminist message is there to excuse that otherwise this is a movie about women being brutalized inbetween flashy action sequences.

I generally don't agree with McCloud on these topics but I'm gonna push back on this. Marketing is handled by entirely separate people who are Not on the same page as anyone on the production side. There are plenty of instances where a work is entirely mishandled by marketing e.g. Jennifer's Body, oftentimes because the assumed default market when hot women are involved is teenage boys, devoid of context.

I don't know enough about Sucker Punch as I've only seen snippets and some essays so I'm not gonna say definitively that the movie is a victim of such misrepresentation. But as evidence it's pretty flimsy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I won't have time to watch this for a while, but this it looks like a serious endeavor. I won't even complain about the runtime because it seems like a premise that could produce a few books.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Jimquisition - Cruelty and Cowardice

https://youtu.be/6eLePJaJBis

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I forgot how long that scene of Brian from Family Guy puking was.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Really not comfortable with Lindsay constantly breaking out 'the trans' so much even ironically

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Trojan Kaiju posted:

I generally don't agree with McCloud on these topics but I'm gonna push back on this. Marketing is handled by entirely separate people who are Not on the same page as anyone on the production side. There are plenty of instances where a work is entirely mishandled by marketing e.g. Jennifer's Body, oftentimes because the assumed default market when hot women are involved is teenage boys, devoid of context.

I don't know enough about Sucker Punch as I've only seen snippets and some essays so I'm not gonna say definitively that the movie is a victim of such misrepresentation. But as evidence it's pretty flimsy.
I'm really suspicious of any argument that excuses the movie of doing the things its suposedly critiquing as it was marketed exactly as that with zero controversy.

Like I just don't beleive that the movie works on any level as a feminist critique of the 'strong female protagonist' faux feminism of other movies because its just doing exactly that but lampshading it the smallest possible amount as long as you come into the movie with the 'correct' critical read.

Like I guess you could read the sexy dance leading into the boring disconnected fight scenes as a swipe at the audience, explicitly linking the pointless action on screen to a woman forced to perform a distracting dance to hoodwink a man. But I feel like its equally vaild to read the paired scenes as a visulization of the main character taking ownership of her sexuality and using it as a weapon to trick a man who underestemates her.

The action scenes themselves aren't there for any other purpose than to be big flashy action scenes. The only notable thing about them is that they're unconnected from the setting and plot so that anyone actually engaging with the story will find them dull as ditchwater. The intended audience won't care as they're here for the action and skimpy outfits and theres nothing there that will shock or make them uncomfortable.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Also it really says something when a black and white comedy film from the 50's is more progressive about trans issues than just about everything from the last few decades.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its a good video but she did leave out Nicole Maines when talking about trans actors playing trans characters. Especially as a positive example seeing as she plays a superhero in a mainstream TV series.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Oh hey, our favourite badly lit Todd released a new video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXGq8UbktDM

It's always fascinating since Todd is my only window into pop music, super market music excepted.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Antigravitas posted:

Oh hey, our favourite badly lit Todd

You'd think the guy would afford one of those budget Godox lights after all these years. :(

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Archer666 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rgxQMgw4bA

Owen takes a look at some... interesting classical films.

This is pretty cool, I'd never heard about these films and it's interesting to see how ideology could leave a director blind to the messages presented in their own work. It's hard believe nazi's would present revolutionaries fighting against foreign occupation in a good light in any context outside of Germany itself.

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 22, 2021

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Mr Phillby posted:

The film was heavily marketed as the thing you claim its a critique of.

Its all very well to say 'people will misinterpret anything' but I don't think its a strong critique if you can successfully market the movie as the thing its supposed to be arguing against without most of the audience noticing.

This leads me to the conclusion that like the media you say its a commentary of, the feminist message is there to excuse that otherwise this is a movie about women being brutalized inbetween flashy action sequences.

Its a fundamental question of 'is the movie set in a dream brothel to highlight the exploitation of the characters or was it so they had an excuse to dress everyone as strippers?'.

Also the films you mention (which aren't primarily commentaries of the portayal of drug users/wall st traders in other movies, btw love the good faith on display as usual) have clear negative consequences for the characters tied to their actions. In suckerpunch what are the negative consequences for pointless music videos that have zero connection to the plot other than being a vauge representation of the main character doing a distracting sexy dance to a guard in a brothel thats really an asylum? I have no idea what the film is saying about the character's agency when they're following instructions from a man in their own dream.

Yeah the plan goes wrong but iirc at least one of the girls escapes because of the sexy dance robot train fight plan. You can't even argue that the main characters sacrifice at the end was a rejection of the plan as its stated to be the 5th item they needed. The consequences for the characters plan were no more negative than any other prision escape plot in a movie.

Right, it was marketed as a thing it's a critique of, that was (i believe) intentional and part of the point, it's marketed to draw in the type of geek who likes the exact kind of film SP is railing against, and then sucker punching them with a film that says "your viewing habits are gross". To quote the man himself:

"Zack Snyder: “I’m always shocked that it was so badly misunderstood. I always said that it was a commentary on sexism and geek culture. Someone would ask me, “Why did you film the girls this way?” And I’d say, “Well you did!” Sucker Punch is a gently caress you to a lot of people who will watch it.”

Again, the "audience didn't notice" is a weak critique because for starters, audience did notice, at least a portion of them. I agree that the message of the film isn't as strong as it could be, but that's different from saying it isn't there in the first place.

The reason the women don't have clear negative consequences tied to their actions like the characters in the films i mentioned is because sexism doesn't happen as a result of women doing something, it happens because they exist. Again, these fantastic action scenes are the dream world a woman goes to when she's being sexually exploited, it's not very subtle about what the action scenes are supposed to represent. That you don't see the sexy dance but it's only hinted at is salient to that, and almost every male figure in the film is trying to get some sort of ownership of these women. If they actually wanted to be the films you think they are then the camera work would have been far more objectifying than it was and they would have shown this super amazing erotic dance she's doing, but instead she retreats into a dreamworld as a way of handling the trauma and even in this dreamworld she still has a pained look on her face. The action sequences themselves are staples of the genres they're criticizing. Samurais, zombies, nazis, orcs knights and dragons, robots, representations of anime, fantasy and sci fi, in of themselves they're not connected to each other but together they are making a statement about the kind of genres that love to dress up exploitative poo poo as empowering because the bikini-clad schoolgirl can handle a gun/katana/spaceship or whatever. Again, there's a lot of context here that's being ignored in favor of reducing it all into "Girls dressed as strippers have action scenes".

I'm not saying it's a cinematic masterpiece, but despite fumbling the execution I think it's pretty clear that the film has a message about sexism and exploitation.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

McCloud posted:

"Zack Snyder: “I’m always shocked that it was so badly misunderstood. I always said that it was a commentary on sexism and geek culture. Someone would ask me, “Why did you film the girls this way?” And I’d say, “Well you did!”

lmfao come on man

e: the last bastion of defense against a bad director is to blame the audience but i've never seen a director accuse the audience of creating the bad movie

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I forgot how long any scene of family Guy was.

Also Southpark sure did eventually backpedal on their original stance on transitioning.
(Outside of retconning the status of Cartman's Mom in a 2part episode that is now banned for completely different and sillier reasons)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

fun hater posted:

lmfao come on man

e: the last bastion of defense against a bad director is to blame the audience but i've never seen a director accuse the audience of creating the bad movie

It happens sometimes.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

DeafNote posted:

Also Southpark sure did eventually backpedal on their original stance on transitioning.
(Outside of retconning the status of Cartman's Mom in a 2part episode that is now banned for completely different and sillier reasons)

Southparks representation of trans people is insanely hateful, to the point they straight up played footage of grs for yuks

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I remember Family Guy had a thing where the 'joke' was Peter looking in Cleveland's mailbox and all the magazines were just... racist black stereotypes. I kept trying to wrap my head around the joke and there wasn't one, which is often the case with Family Guy.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Ash Crimson posted:

Southparks representation of trans people is insanely hateful, to the point they straight up played footage of grs for yuks

And if it isn't deliberately hateful, it's the kind of ironic hateful that's so utterly indistinguishable from genuine hate that chuds have utterly latched on to their lovely jokes about trans athletes, celebrating a semi-recent episode as genius because of how it poo poo on them.

It's actually kind of impressive how I literally do not hear about south park at all these days outside of incidents like that, where they make an episode so bad a bunch of internet assholes start passing it around nodding to one another about how true and good it is because it perpetuates their lovely worldview.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Ash Crimson posted:

Which baffles me because the first fuckin' season had Big Gay Al, who was portrayed as a nice friendly dude who everyone in town loved.

South Park, Family Guy, and even Simpsons had this problem where they felt the need to go in hard on the meanspiritedness in their later seasons.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Which baffles me because the first fuckin' season had Big Gay Al, who was portrayed as a nice friendly dude who everyone in town loved.

South Park, Family Guy, and even Simpsons had this problem where they felt the need to go in hard on the meanspiritedness in their later seasons.

Prolly because the only people who still keep up with those shows are emotionally stunted jackasses.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

but then you go to the wiki and

quote:

he boys, however, didn't like their new Scouts Leader, and rallied to get Al back, and Gloria Allred and others forced the Scouts to re-accept him. He rejected this, saying he knows the Scout leaders are still good men, and since the scouts are a private club, they should have the right to exclude people if they choose to, just as he has the right to express himself as a gay man.

:waycool:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Famethrowa posted:

yeah. the show has some moments of "wow thats actually forward thinking but than it dives into GenX "both sides are dumb maaaaan" bullshit. i am someone who enjoys south part alot at times and genuinly love some of the characters, as person with disabilities, i always loved jimmy/timmy and the special ed class thing because yeah there is some low hanging fruit jokes but i genuinly liked their characters and poo poo, to me jimmy is a better representation of physical disabilities then most shows i have seen but thats me.
but yeah other than that the show is mixed at best when it comes to that kinda poo poo and gets stupidly regressive too often in dumb ways. again, i havent watched them in couple years and i kinda moved on to different stuff.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 23, 2021

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Jimbot posted:

I don't think it's exactly fair to bring the marketing of a film into what the film actually is. Marketing tends to be out of the filmmakers' control and it often lies about what the film is about all the freaking time. One infamous example that I can think of off the top of my head was for The Road. The trailers for that film position it as an action film set in a post-apocalypse when that film is anything but.

Inglorious Bastards was another one, where the ads for it were pretty much entirely made up of like the two action scenes in the movie.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I would say it's the libertarian way but then I remember Penn and Teller: Bullshit having a full episode on how lovely the Scouts ban was.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kim Justice posted:

I would say it's the libertarian way but then I remember Penn and Teller: Bullshit having a full episode on how lovely the Scouts ban was.

penn and teller are pretty socially progressive though in general and i am pretty sure penn has walked back on alot of libertarian's stuff least the big gross poo poo.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
you know the thing bad games do where they make you do an obnoxious fetch quest but have a one-liner about 'yeesh whats with it with these obnoxious fetch quests? yuk yuk!' but it doesn't change the fact that its still an obnoxious fetch quest?

thats basically what sucker punch is

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Famethrowa posted:

Ugh, yeah, huge miss at the end there.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Kim Justice posted:

Reminder that they did an episode on how smoking wasn't so bad and how exercising wasn't really all that good

Once they ran out of easy targets it just became contrarianism: the show

Oh you think recycling is good? You loving idiot, you utter moron

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Nah, their biggest "what the gently caress?" was defending big corporations, I think it was Walmart, going to 3rd world countries and extracting wealth from them and did so from the point of "it gave them jobs and they had shelters for their employees to sleep in!"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Farg posted:

you know the thing bad games do where they make you do an obnoxious fetch quest but have a one-liner about 'yeesh whats with it with these obnoxious fetch quests? yuk yuk!' but it doesn't change the fact that its still an obnoxious fetch quest?

thats basically what sucker punch is

Yeah there is a trend in movies and games where saying a thing exists is commentary in itself. Which is technically true but what does it actually accomplish.

It feels like it’s the film version of I’m not racist but. Or not to pry but.... those types of things

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Yardbomb posted:

Inglorious Bastards was another one, where the ads for it were pretty much entirely made up of like the two action scenes in the movie.

Doesn't every trailer misrepresent Tarantino movies.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

critique must, of necessity, include in itself some quantity of its subject because that is what it is discussing.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Ash Crimson posted:

They’re referring to an episode that aired like a decade later that was more sympathetic.

Actually, that entire season was them sheepishly backpedaling on everything. “Er...trans people are human being.” “So uh....alcoholism is an actual condition.” “Remember what we said about global warming? About that...”

But they did a tone-deaf episode about trans people in sports, so don’t worry, South Park still sucks.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ghostlight posted:

critique must, of necessity, include in itself some quantity of its subject because that is what it is discussing.

Critique must also feature some critique as well.

I’d argue it’s the most important part

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Nah, their biggest "what the gently caress?" was defending big corporations, I think it was Walmart, going to 3rd world countries and extracting wealth from them and did so from the point of "it gave them jobs and they had shelters for their employees to sleep in!"

There's the climate change episode which is....well, it was pretty bad then and is just a completely hilarious misfire now. I mean, holy poo poo lol. Good god did they gently caress that one up.

Bullshitting rich people into drinking tap water and eating poo poo presented as gourmet was funny, of course. The show's a sort of historical curio from the beforetimes when people were allowed to put their YouTube video essays on television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They were going to do an episode the Bullshit About Bullshit that went over all the stuff they got wrong as a series finale but the show was canceled. Always been curious what they would've said they got wrong.