Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
It's more just a way to view two bank accounts at once so we can see savings/checking/expenses etc. easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

YNAB is fine for that

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Mint is free but they sell your information. Personal Capital is another option, just don't invest with them.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

moana posted:

Mint is free but they sell your information. Personal Capital is another option, just don't invest with them.

Pretty much everybody in the space sells your information. Even if the specific app you use is completely trustworthy, promises not to share or sell anything about you, and even if you pay for it, it's probably talking to your bank through a service like Yodlee or Plaid. Yodlee openly sells the data that flows through their systems. Plaid had tried to set themselves up as more privacy-focused and trustworthy, but now Visa's buying them for $5B, explicitly for access to all that sweet user data they don't already get through watching credit card transactions.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I might be in the minority but I really don’t care if services sell my information, they probably have it anyway and I can’t stop it so whatever.

I’ll check Mint out, ideally it would be a free app. We also use different banks so hopefully that doesn’t change anything

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

I need some opinions/advice here.

We plan on moving from our house in a year to a year and a half. We've started putting work into the house and one of our projects is replacing the carpet with luxury vinyl tile. I can pay for this out of pocket. I also have access to a home equity loan I tapped into last year for a kitchen remodel. Should I pay for this home improvement project on my own so I have less to owe on the home equity loan or should I put the money towards a different loan and pay it off outright? I was thinking of one of my car loans.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DTaeKim posted:

I need some opinions/advice here.

We plan on moving from our house in a year to a year and a half. We've started putting work into the house and one of our projects is replacing the carpet with luxury vinyl tile. I can pay for this out of pocket. I also have access to a home equity loan I tapped into last year for a kitchen remodel. Should I pay for this home improvement project on my own so I have less to owe on the home equity loan or should I put the money towards a different loan and pay it off outright? I was thinking of one of my car loans.

This is a math problem. You need to get all of your numbers together along with expected payoff timelines and figure out what costs the least.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Quick math suggests that I should minimize the home equity loan since it has a much higher interest rate than the car loan (5 percent vs 1.9 percent). We'll pay for the floors out of pocket.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Not sure where to ask this...we got a letter from the mortgage company saying we may qualify to cancel the 'Mortgage Insurance Premium' on our 30 year fixed FHA loan.

It looks like it would save us about $100 a month. All we have to do is sign and return the enclosed 'Early Cancellation Request's form. Is there any reason we wouldn't do this?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Pershing posted:

Not sure where to ask this...we got a letter from the mortgage company saying we may qualify to cancel the 'Mortgage Insurance Premium' on our 30 year fixed FHA loan.

It looks like it would save us about $100 a month. All we have to do is sign and return the enclosed 'Early Cancellation Request's form. Is there any reason we wouldn't do this?

If you hate the feeling of $100 extra dollars in your pocket. :toot:

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Berkshire annual letter dropped today if anyone fancies a read: https://www.berkshirehathaway.com/2020ar/2020ar.pdf

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

rebalanced my retirement accounts today. Unsurprisingly....Large caps went up a lot.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I'm planning on doing a refi on my house soon and for some reason the vehicle loan that I paid off in November is still showing as active on my credit report, do I call who the loan was through (Wells Fargo)? Dispute the info with the credit reporters? It's the only debt I have other than the mortgage and it's not a significant percentage of my income so I doubt it'd make any difference in the refi rate but it's probably not helping either.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

bird with big dick posted:

I'm planning on doing a refi on my house soon and for some reason the vehicle loan that I paid off in November is still showing as active on my credit report, do I call who the loan was through (Wells Fargo)? Dispute the info with the credit reporters? It's the only debt I have other than the mortgage and it's not a significant percentage of my income so I doubt it'd make any difference in the refi rate but it's probably not helping either.

Unless it is tripping up some debt to income ratio don't worry about it for now as long as it's "on time." You've gotten the title to your car right? Or some payoff letter?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

H110Hawk posted:

Unless it is tripping up some debt to income ratio don't worry about it for now as long as it's "on time." You've gotten the title to your car right? Or some payoff letter?

Yeah it's "current" and my WF account shows a balance of 0 and there's definitely no DTI issues. Thanks, I won't worry about it.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Is there any way to put an expiration date on personal checks? A 30-day expiration date so I don't have a repeat of an ophthalmologists office holding my check for 5 months before cashing it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Azuth0667 posted:

Is there any way to put an expiration date on personal checks? A 30-day expiration date so I don't have a repeat of an ophthalmologists office holding my check for 5 months before cashing it.

Not really. Pay cash or credit card. Get a receipt.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Azuth0667 posted:

Nothing that's much more than a suggestion. Their bank might reject it since it COULD get rejected by the issuing bank (i.e. your bank), but chances are it'll get processed no matter what and IIRC there's no legal standing to say it's invalid or that it shouldn't have been cashed.

In any case, you still owe them money in 5 months whether they cash the check or it expires. If you're lucky they'll call and you can "charge" them a stop check fee and send them a new check (you would be wise to actually cancel the check, so you're not making money on this), but most likely they'll just cash it and be on their way. If it bounces, you still need to pay them.

In the before times, when online banking wasn't a thing, you balanced your checkbook manually and if your register didn't match your statement you could figure it out pretty quick. Relying only on online statements when you write paper checks is dangerous. You really ought to log checks in your register and mark them when they've been cashed so you can be sure that you won't get overdrawn due to a check that someone took their time to cash.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Can’t you call your bank and tell them that you want to void the check #

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

A MIRACLE posted:

Can’t you call your bank and tell them that you want to void the check #

Not for free.

And most retailers will send a stopped check to collections immediately.

So yeah, don't do that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DaveSauce posted:

Not for free.

And most retailers will send a stopped check to collections immediately.

So yeah, don't do that.

All of this.

That was seriously bad advice A MIRACLE.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I’ve never done it I was asking sorry lol

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

H110Hawk posted:

Not really. Pay cash or credit card. Get a receipt.

No way I'd carry that much cash and this place is run by old fucks that won't take a card. I'm definitely switching to a new ophthalmologist because of this nonsense. I don't understand how a business like this can function if you let revenue sit for random extended periods of time.

Also I always thought stopping/voiding a check was only for suspected fraud.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Azuth0667 posted:

No way I'd carry that much cash and this place is run by old fucks that won't take a card. I'm definitely switching to a new ophthalmologist because of this nonsense. I don't understand how a business like this can function if you let revenue sit for random extended periods of time.

Yeah stopping / voiding a check is for fraud. By about the 6 month mark some banks will stop honoring checks but it's under no obligation to do so and is not to be relied on. Your options are as you mentioned, or to pay with a money order (USPS sells em), or to accurately track your outstanding checks. Even using online bill pay to mail them a check won't save you, at least at my bank they release the hold on the money after 30 days.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Azuth0667 posted:

Voided checks are checks you write VOID on before you give it to someone because they're not to be cashed. Common for if you're giving it to your workplace to start direct deposit, or to your landlord so they can do ACH rent or something. Also common if you write something wrong and need to write a new check (wrong amount, payee, etc.).

Stops are for fraud or if it gets lost without writing "void" on them. Usually if you lose your checkbook at the bar or something you'd call the bank and do a stop payment on whatever check numbers were in the checkbook at the time (lol who carries a checkbook anymore). Or if you give a check to someone and they lose it and you have to write them a new one, you'd put a stop on the old one so they can't cash it.

In all cases, you still owe the money. Until you run out the statute of limitations for debt in your state (usually 5-7 years), there is literally nothing that stops you from having to pay them for their services. (edit: the point here is that writing "void after 30 days" does not absolve you of your debt to them if they take their time cashing it. You'll just have to write them a new check and wait another 5 months)

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Mar 15, 2021

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I came across this video the other day, and it resonated with me. Figured I’d share. The biggest part (since it’s an hour long) is adjusting savings as your salary increases and forcing scarcity. I’ve been holding steady meeting the employer match for a while, but the chart about expenses covered by social security (lol) was pretty interesting. Like Ramsey some of it is pretty obvious.

https://youtu.be/t6NGkM8P2VM

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Social security isn't going anywhere. For high earners it definitely isn't going to cover a huge chunk of post-retirement expenses but it's meant as a safety net to keep seniors from eating cat food, not to maintain a luxury lifestyle.

I'm taking the series 65 tomorrow morning and I kind of want to throw up thinking about it. It's not supposed to be as bad as the CFP exam but it's just so many regulations to keep in my head with pandemic brain.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

moana posted:

Social security isn't going anywhere. For high earners it definitely isn't going to cover a huge chunk of post-retirement expenses but it's meant as a safety net to keep seniors from eating cat food, not to maintain a luxury lifestyle.

I'm taking the series 65 tomorrow morning and I kind of want to throw up thinking about it. It's not supposed to be as bad as the CFP exam but it's just so many regulations to keep in my head with pandemic brain.

you got it! kick butt.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

At least I am super comfortable with all of the options questions after reading the stock trading thread for the past year. Thanks to all the lovely degenerate gamblers who post about puts and calls in that thread :3:

edit: passed, woo!

moana fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 16, 2021

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Congrats!!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

moana posted:

At least I am super comfortable with all of the options questions after reading the stock trading thread for the past year. Thanks to all the lovely degenerate gamblers who post about puts and calls in that thread :3:

edit: passed, woo!

:toot: Congratulations!

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
We just had our baby delivered a week ago. Is there a way to get the Biden tax credit now or do I need to wait to until I can file my 2021 taxes?

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

Big Dick Cheney posted:

We just had our baby delivered a week ago. Is there a way to get the Biden tax credit now or do I need to wait to until I can file my 2021 taxes?

Piggy backing on this, but born a month ago. I assume withholding just has to be adjusted and you get that money back over the course of the year, but would be interested in getting it early if possible.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Without going into much detail, I made about 2k more working last year than the year before, but my refund was about 1k larger than usual. My state refund is usually 5-600 and was closer to 800 this year.

No dependents, same job, I think I worked extra for some months but there was nothing insane, nothing new I deducted, etc. No marriage, no kids born, nothing. The only thing I can think of differently is that my mom went on Medicare instead of her own work provided insurance fully last year. I know two years ago or so, whenever Trump did the new tax poo poo, I pulled more from my paychecks/increased the tax rate thing just in case. I'm sorry, I don't know the precise words for it.

I'm always paranoid I hosed up doing my taxes, even though I have simple easy poo poo, and all I need to do is input the data into H and R block's website. Mostly because when I was a kid, my parents had one of those slimy accountants who ended up playing too much with their and other people's taxes, and the audit was hard and fast, and I think he lost his license?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Do you have the PDF/Paper copies of those two returns? The 2 pages of form 1040, which is the summary totaling sheet, should be able to show where the difference were. From there you can trace them deeper to the other pages if needed.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Xenoborg posted:

Do you have the PDF/Paper copies of those two returns? The 2 pages of form 1040, which is the summary totaling sheet, should be able to show where the difference were. From there you can trace them deeper to the other pages if needed.

I can probably pull that from the HR block website? I never printed anything.

edit: poo poo. I was wrong. I actually got the same back the past two years, give or take. It was 2018 filing when I suddenly bumped up in my refund. Goddamn this is what I get for not printing poo poo and just using online.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 22, 2021

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So I've been unemployed since late last year, but got a job offer recently for an entry level role which I am well overqualified for, but it seems like a fine company. The pay is about 20% less than what I was making before, but I'm making a couple hundred more than my old position by taking unemployment. I'm also currently in school and have had time to accelerate my program, but still have a little ways to go. Not sure if it's absolutely dumb to consider turning down this job to tackle school full time, or if I should just get back to working and do school on top of that. With the benefits being extended until September it makes me want to just buckle down and do school to get it over with, but I'm not entirely sure.

Any thoughts?

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 24, 2021

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

go to work you lazy hump

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

cage-free egghead posted:

So I've been unemployed since late last year, but got a job offer recently for an entry level role which I am well overqualified for, but it seems like a fine company. The pay is about 20% less than what I was making before, but I'm making a couple hundred more than my old position by taking unemployment. I'm also currently in school and have had time to accelerate my program, but still have a little ways to go. Not sure if it's absolutely dumb to consider turning down this job to tackle school full time, or if I should just get back to working and do school on top of that. With the benefits being extended until September it makes me want to just buckle down and do school to get it over with, but I'm not entirely sure.

Any thoughts?
Anything you can do to get out of school debt free or with the lowest amount of debt possible is a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Not sure the best place to ask this so here it goes. I have a property with my partner (full of legal agreements and such). We had an agreement on how much each party would pay as she was starting her own business at the time. She is at the point where she wants to true up and become actual 50/50 owners. We have two options, she pays $70K to the mortgage, she just gives me $35K. With our rate so low option 2 makes more sense, less money for her, I can invest the money elsewhere, etc. My question is how do we characterize it? I am thinking it is just a "gift", file the paper work and move on with life. I can always ask my lawyer but rather not pay them if I don't have to.