Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

CW for sexual assault

Cool cool cool what a way to send me into a spiral at 7:20 am
The man who sexually assaulted me while I was doing my PhD just sent me a linkedin invite to connect. He was another PhD candidate at the time and before this we were really close friends. He assaulted 3 of us is in the program. When we banded together to report it our department chair, he said that what happened to us sucked but since none of us was actually raped we should just forget about it and move on. He would "make sure that the person was adequately punished". The assaulter ended up being told he could leave the program with a master's degree instead of finishing his PhD, and we eventually found out that the department head and the Title IX group at the time were more interested in protecting the university's reputation than actually doing anything about it. I guess the assaulter told people that we all led him on and he thought that our friendships with him meant something more, and so the university decided that it wasn't The Prefect Case because we were all friends with him before.

gently caress I am so sick of this man haunting me. I get contacted about once a year by student groups who heard about our story and want to Reform the University and Do Better on Title IX stuff and it's been 5 years since I left the program ABD. I've changed my name (for unrelated reasons) and the guy has still found me on a new Instagram account and now this linked in account. I've been to therapy and talked about it and worked on my issues but every time I see his name or get contacted by yet another campus group that wants me to relive my past for them so they can go "ah wow that sucks we will totally change things this time" it just sends me into such awful spirals.

I'm also going through a health crisis and I just really don't need this right now, gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Aceofblue posted:

-snip-
I'm also going through a health crisis and I just really don't need this right now, gently caress

hey I don't post in this thread much but I just wanted to kramer in and say that the stuff you went through in your post is horrifying and I hope things get better (or are better already maybe? I dunno, I hope things are better now in the distant future of a couple days later anyway), nobody deserves that poo poo

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Edit: Wrong thread sorry

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

blatman posted:

hey I don't post in this thread much but I just wanted to kramer in and say that the stuff you went through in your post is horrifying and I hope things get better (or are better already maybe? I dunno, I hope things are better now in the distant future of a couple days later anyway), nobody deserves that poo poo

Thank you :unsmith: It's been a few days now and I'm okay enough. Back to my normal "my body and brain are conspiring against me to fall completely apart before I'm 35" but the high pitched screech in my head over this guy finding me again has lessened.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
man I am feeling 1000% stressed out lately and can't really pin it on a single thing. I'm honestly considering trying to take short term disability from work but it seems like it's complicated

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
It's probably managed through another business, like liberty mutual. Basically have to file some paperwork and your doc has to chime in with a recommendation.

Typically looks more complicated than it is, ime.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
yeah, I guess it's not so bad after reading all the "legal" answers. I guess I'm afraid of getting a no but also then I just gotta try to figure something else at.

I'll talk to my psych today and see what he has to offer, but I have really well documented stuff over the last year or so.

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
Just put my dog of 16 years down and I feel horrible. He wasnt having a good time for the most part and I think I made the right decision but ending another beings life is such a huge responsibility and I feel sick. I want to hold him and he isnt there.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

Just put my dog of 16 years down and I feel horrible. He wasnt having a good time for the most part and I think I made the right decision but ending another beings life is such a huge responsibility and I feel sick. I want to hold him and he isnt there.

Extremely felt. We had to put down my cat of 14 years near the end of 2020. He had leukemia and was absolutely miserable. :smith:

This is the price we pay for their companionship. It's worth it in the long run, but the short term end is extremely hard.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
My wife and I are getting a divorce. It loving sucks, but we've been growing apart and just not getting along as a married couple. We're being friendly and not being assholes to each other, as our daughter doesn't need to see that.

And it's kind of...Freeing? Like, I'd rather not get divorced from the woman I love and wanted to spend the rest of my life with, but having had a few days to absorb it all, it'll be okay. It's not the worst thing that could happen, and I think we'll both be happier this way.

My mental state has seemed so much more relaxed since we decided that it's happening. It also helps that I got my second dose of the COVID vaccine today.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

Just put my dog of 16 years down and I feel horrible. He wasn’t having a good time for the most part and I think I made the right decision but ending another being’s life is such a huge responsibility and I feel sick. I want to hold him and he isn’t there.

Chokes McGee posted:

Extremely felt. We had to put down my cat of 14 years near the end of 2020. He had leukemia and was absolutely miserable. :smith:

This is the price we pay for their companionship. It's worth it in the long run, but the short term end is extremely hard.

Sorry to both of you for your loss. It really is one of the hardest decisions to make no matter what. My cat's getting older and I dread the day I lose him, it's nice when they live long happy lives but it hurts so much to lose them after such a long time with them.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

My wife and I are getting a divorce. It loving sucks, but we've been growing apart and just not getting along as a married couple. We're being friendly and not being assholes to each other, as our daughter doesn't need to see that.

And it's kind of...Freeing? Like, I'd rather not get divorced from the woman I love and wanted to spend the rest of my life with, but having had a few days to absorb it all, it'll be okay. It's not the worst thing that could happen, and I think we'll both be happier this way.

My mental state has seemed so much more relaxed since we decided that it's happening. It also helps that I got my second dose of the COVID vaccine today.

username/post combo

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

yo could a mod give me a sixer? I am getting Tilt on the online and it's not very good for my brain

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

yo could a mod give me a sixer? I am getting Tilt on the online and it's not very good for my brain

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

yo, you probably wont see this, but what happened in that other thread was bullshit (not your actions, the other poster) and not your fault. Honestly, hope you can have a good rest of your day.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

A person whom I am close to is getting stalked on social media by an ex who is creating burner accounts to contact them. What can I do to support this person whom I am close to? Are there any decent resources to direct them towards?

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

A friend of mine hit me up yesterday to come over and play some music. While I was there another guy came by, and they started talking and my friend got really upset several times before asking the other guy to leave. Then when we were alone he confided in me that he recently found out his ex had hosed one of his best friends several years ago, while they were still dating, and that the rest of this friend group knew about it and didn't tell him. His response to this knowledge was to relapse and he had been on a bender the past few days, not eating much, getting much sleep, and it was interfering with his work and worrying his family.

He had lived a party kind of lifestyle before but in the past several years had cut out alcohol and coke entirely and was in a recovery program for the other stuff before all of this. He told me he's pretty sure he also has a manic disorder and seemed to be in a manic state while we were together. I hung out with him like everything was normal because I figured that was the best way to be there for him, and he said he really appreciated me being there and was tired of everyone coming by to tell him theyre worried about him etc etc. He seemed like he was done with the bender and working out how to move on from here.

I hope he evens out more as the days progress and is okay.

breadnsucc
Jun 1, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Perhaps it is unusual for so many words to be written, political theory instead of a memorial narrative, for a message honoring a martyr of the revolution. I kept comrade Michael Forest Reinoehl firmly in my mind with every word I wrote down in this text. This text is not an act of revenge. I still havent paid a penny of my debt. I have only determined it. Our revenge will go all the way.

Honor and revenge for the antifascist martyr Michael Forest Reinoehl

Honor and revenge for antifascist martyr Anthony Huber

Honor and revenge for all the martyrs of the Black Revolt

Honor and revenge for antifascist martyr Willem Van Sporsen

Im not standing by. I really shouldnt have to say any more than this. I set aside my broken heart and I heal the only way I know howby being useful.

REVENGE for centuries of slavery, for all the generations that didnt make it to liberation. REVENGE so that the life that is coming can breath

breadnsucc has issued a correction as of 19:29 on Aug 21, 2021

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

1redflag posted:

yo, you probably wont see this, but what happened in that other thread was bullshit (not your actions, the other poster) and not your fault. Honestly, hope you can have a good rest of your day.

thank you very much, I sincerely appreciate it. Went for a long walk and it really helped me calm down :)

also thank you Crusty for being quick with the buttons

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

My family and friends are all libs. I got most of them to vote for Bernie at least but talking politics in person with anyone I know is like the worst of D&D.

Not a big deal I guess but it would be nice anytime I criticize the Dems to hear something other than "bbbut Republicans!"

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Just found this thread today. Are there any specific COVID recommendations for mental health? Being stuck inside all of the time and only seeing family members has really started to wear on me. I'm depressed a fair bit (have been medicated for depression and mood for a few years). I find myself not being enthusiastic about or enjoying activities I usually love.

By specific recommends, anyone have any good COVID-related articles on maintaining a healthy mental lifestyle?

Gameko has issued a correction as of 20:51 on Feb 22, 2021

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I dont have articles but I can tell you I'm in the same boat and whats really helped me was riding my bike and jogging. Just finding excuses to be outside in the sun for a while. Its hard to get motivated at first but once your body gets used to the good feelings from it it becomes easier to make it a habit.That might not be feasible where you are right now, but it something to think of as we get into spring

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
i decided to really get into my obscure and arduous intellectual interests, like finally reading hegel. that takes up so much of my cognitive energy which would otherwise be spent on rumination that reading hegel feels therapeutic, in a round-a-bout way. if you're already a bookish nerd, it might be helpful to double down on that, ime

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Finicums Wake posted:

i decided to really get into my obscure and arduous intellectual interests, like finally reading hegel. that takes up so much of my cognitive energy which would otherwise be spent on rumination that reading hegel feels therapeutic, in a round-a-bout way. if you're already a bookish nerd, it might be helpful to double down on that, ime

If you like Hegel, that's great, but he definitely writes a lot and takes a ton of time to get to his point. He's one of those philosophers that if you want to read the cliff notes version, then do it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Gameko posted:

Just found this thread today. Are there any specific COVID recommendations for mental health? Being stuck inside all of the time and only seeing family members has really started to wear on me. I'm depressed a fair bit (have been medicated for depression and mood for a few years). I find myself not being enthusiastic about or enjoying activities I usually love.

By specific recommends, anyone have any good COVID-related articles on maintaining a healthy mental lifestyle?

Take up a new hobby. Seriously, as scary as it sounds, just pick something relatively inexpensive you've always wanted to do and start doing it. You've got the time now, no one can come in and judge you anyway because of the plague, now's the time to get good or at least enjoy it while no one's watching. :v: I started playing guitar during this pandemic, and while I still suck, I know like 10-12 more chords than I did going in. Woo!

Also, the five most important things during the pandemic and in fact in mental health IMO:

• The Most Important: Sleep. Try to get at least seven hours. If you snore, get a CPAP if you have insurance and can afford it. Everything else on this list is compromised without sleep.
  • Food. Three square meals. Large snacks do not count as meals. Believe me I'd love for a jar of Whataburger picante and a bag of chips to be lunch but I'm here to tell you it just doesn't work out that way :(
  • Sunlight. Gotta get sun on them peepers. Invest in a Happylight or such if you're in a place like Alaska or Iceland where the nights are six times as long as the year or w/e
  • Exercise. You don't have to go out and lift heavy things, or even jog, although you can if you really want. Just get out and walk around the block a few times, or even once. (Make sure you wear your mask!)
  • Hygiene. Okay yeah lol goons but seriously, this one is incredibly easy to forget when it's day three of not having showered and your face feels like a brillow pad and why even change out of your pajamas from two days ago if you're not going anywhere. Stick to a regular hygiene schedule, because it has a huge impact on just making you feel human. If depression makes it rough, invest in something like dry shampoo and cetaphyl so you can clean up quick whenever you're by the sink.

Just life advice, I am not a doctor and may in fact be an idiot, etc.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I've been going through this great thing the last few months where I puke or dry heave every morning. I went through something like this in middle school and when I got put on zoloft it went away. I finally talked to my psych about it, not sure why I didn't earlier but he's putting me on zoloft. I really hope it works. I'm a little worried since I was diagnosed bipolar and I guess antidepressants can cause mania in some people so we'll see. I am on mood stabilizers too so hopefully it will be fine. I've been pretty depressed lately too so maybe this is what I need.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dixville posted:

I've been going through this great thing the last few months where I puke or dry heave every morning. I went through something like this in middle school and when I got put on zoloft it went away. I finally talked to my psych about it, not sure why I didn't earlier but he's putting me on zoloft. I really hope it works. I'm a little worried since I was diagnosed bipolar and I guess antidepressants can cause mania in some people so we'll see. I am on mood stabilizers too so hopefully it will be fine. I've been pretty depressed lately too so maybe this is what I need.

FWIW I have bipolar 2 and still take sertraline. I'll have hypomania spikes maybe once 2-3 where I can't sleep for a night or two but am otherwise fine. Good luck with the new (old) meds!

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Dixville posted:

Do you drink coffee or tea in the morning? In the past when I've been going through stressful times I get acid reflux and I can't drink caffeinated beverages without food or ill barf. It started before I even started drinking caffeine, I remember being in grade school and feeling anxious about school and puking up my oatmeal in the morning. But nowadays its mostly stress and caffeine that triggers it.

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

Lol gently caress.

I'm not coping with life well anymore, like my ability to cope has just been totally eroded away. My GP put in a referral for me to see psych within my hospital system since I have.. extensive records and it's nice to keep everything in one system. Next available appointment is July 22. Guess I'll call around but gently caress

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Why do I wake up at 6am on Saturdays. I just want to not be tired for one day of my life.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

titty_baby_ posted:

Do you drink coffee or tea in the morning? In the past when I've been going through stressful times I get acid reflux and I can't drink caffeinated beverages without food or ill barf. It started before I even started drinking caffeine, I remember being in grade school and feeling anxious about school and puking up my oatmeal in the morning. But nowadays its mostly stress and caffeine that triggers it.

I don't. Sometimes i take caffeine pills but it doesn't seem to make a difference if I do or not.
This morning I did ok so maybe it's helping! I know usually it takes a month or more to really get the effects of antidepressants but I remember the last time this happened it worked pretty quickly too. Here's hoping! I have had random days where it doesn't happen too though.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Try having a peanut butter sandwich. Peanut butter helps to calm the stomach, so maybe incorporating a bit of that into breakfast can help.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Why do I wake up at 6am on Saturdays. I just want to not be tired for one day of my life.

you can not be tired?? what the gently caress

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I got accepted for a position in Seattle, which is good because I hate my current job and the place I currently live

The problem is I live very very far away (I currently live in western North Carolina) and moving all the way over there is gonna be a huge fuckin pain, especially because I don't even have a full month to do it

And I also get to deal with questions like "what happens if I uproot my entire life to move out there and I get hosed by this job" and "is it worth the money to have my couch shipped over there, considering sleeping on it is one of the only things I've found that helps to deal with my crippling insomnia," which causes some great anxiety which is not something I normally even have a big problem with

It's all very first world problem poo poo but gently caress, trying to improve your life is hard work

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
getting some sleep when you have insomnia is worth whatever that couch would cost to ship imo. even if the job doesnt work out (it very probably will) youll be happy to have Ol Reliable with you

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Decided to delete Twitter from my phone.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Bedshaped posted:

Good idea.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

DoubleDonut posted:

I got accepted for a position in Seattle, which is good because I hate my current job and the place I currently live

The problem is I live very very far away (I currently live in western North Carolina) and moving all the way over there is gonna be a huge fuckin pain, especially because I don't even have a full month to do it

And I also get to deal with questions like "what happens if I uproot my entire life to move out there and I get hosed by this job" and "is it worth the money to have my couch shipped over there, considering sleeping on it is one of the only things I've found that helps to deal with my crippling insomnia," which causes some great anxiety which is not something I normally even have a big problem with

It's all very first world problem poo poo but gently caress, trying to improve your life is hard work

Most people i know who have moved cross country end up just liquidating their stuff and buying more stuff when they get there. It'd probably be easier to find that same/similar model of couch then shipping it. I hope you find a nice place and all goes well

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Bedshaped posted:

I browse twitter thru c spam embeds and its the the best way to do it

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

indigi posted:

you can not be tired?? what the gently caress

I definitely can't. I've been tired my whole life, as far back as I can remember. Trump going on about "low energy" is triggering because I am the lowest energy person to ever exist. I can barely work, usually quit jobs in 9 months or less due to fatigue building up, and do nothing but work and sleep. No socialising, no fun, just work and sleep. I'm 40 and laugh at the idea of even supporting children, it's absurdly impossible.

Covid essentially being over in Australia has just reminded me that life in capitalism still sucks even when not fearing for my life.

I just want a decent sleep.

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 21:58 on Feb 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

anyone else feel like they're slowly going insane