Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Space Kablooey posted:

agreed but unironically

Yeah actually you really should celebrate people getting out of triple A gaming. That poo poo is a grind and we should celebrate games made by small teams working sane hours more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Fur20 posted:

long story short if they don't have a director who is going to do all of this themselves, they aren't going to be able to produce another ogre battle game

gently caress them I'll do it. I'll do it for cheap. It's not hard to figure this poo poo out and I can do a jrpg scenario off the top of the head because they're all loving silly anyway

our protagonist is a teenager who is very angsty about being alive and not being special. they feel like they have no friends and have no meaningful impact on the world, and they're approached by someone who says they can make life more interesting for them. time travel into the future. protag thinks this guy is a creep until the end of a painfully long prologue where they get in trouble and finally say ok go ahead, do it, send me into the future if you can. dude goes and comes back and the weirdo is like "here you can have the power yourself" and lets the guy travel forward and back as much as they want but not into their own history so they can't gently caress poo poo up by meeting their past self. eventually they do anyway and it unleashes a TIME PROBLEM which is where the enemies to fight come in, and the resolution of all fights is essentially handled narratively as you sewing up the TIME PROBLEM that you created, and your abilities in combat are just pretty much imaginary but related to your ability to send solutions to yourself after you've won, and then winning closes the necessity of actually doing that, like some kind of slipknot in the timeline.

anyways the story's climax comes about when the protag starts to realize that the future they've been going to doesn't change when they do poo poo in the present, and they connect the dots to realize that even though their own story has gotten more interesting from their own perspective, no one else gives a single gently caress about what this ragtag group of sad losers is doing. nothing they do affects the future in any meaningful way and they are not even a blip on the radar in the grand scheme of things. eventually everyone in the party clears the TIME PROBLEM by accepting the regrets that they had encountered their past selves for in the first place, which resolves them ever going and seeing those past selves, and then they're all happy to not be special

bing bang boom jrpg

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 23, 2021

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

signalnoise posted:

our protagonist is a teenager who is very angsty about being alive and not being special. they feel like they have no friends and have meaningful impact on the world

*Sheds tear*

This is so powerful. I am now strongly invested in this character and will cry + hoot and holler with joy when he finally kisses his tsundere waifu.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Dewgy posted:

Filter chat: The best ones are the really lovely CRT simulators. You can even have them simulate motion blur from having a beat up old junker from a garage sale!

Majestic.

I liked Mother Russia Bleeds and this new one called Narita Boy because they included some of that CRT-esque effects swag

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Play posted:

What the 'click on things until they die' genre?

Pretty sure Balloon Pop on the app store has got that market cornered

Number go up is a genre.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Meme Poker Party posted:

*Sheds tear*

This is so powerful. I am now strongly invested in this character and will cry + hoot and holler with joy when he finally kisses his tsundere waifu.

well, it's either get the tsundere waifu or have a nice girl who dies

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

ikanreed posted:

Number go up is a genre.

Yeah balloon pop and WoW are the same, but unironically

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

signalnoise posted:

well, it's either get the tsundere waifu or have a nice girl who dies

also her boobs are enormous

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

signalnoise posted:

bing bang boom jrpg

yes but the point is that he devs his own systems independent of his work on the setting

what they need is for someone to make this, PLUS thirty different three-branch-deep classes each with their own hidden requirements and alignment balance. also the formula for how alignment shifts after an encounter. also the math for the encounter with a 24hr clock that determines each character's effectiveness in combat based on their alignment

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Fur20 posted:

yes but the point is that he devs his own systems independent of his work on the setting

what they need is for someone to make this, PLUS thirty different three-branch-deep classes each with their own hidden requirements and alignment balance. also the formula for how alignment shifts after an encounter. also the math for the encounter with a 24hr clock that determines each character's effectiveness in combat based on their alignment

Child's play

I once made an excel spreadsheet to track the auction house market values of loot box keys relative to the contents of the loot boxes they unlock in Star Trek Online just to see how access to purchasing those keys with real money affected their equilibrium prices

Doing dumb game math for a paycheck sounds like a treat but also being the "idea guy" is not a foot in the door because anyone can do that

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Willatron posted:

I recently played through Terminator: Resistance and while I recognized how deeply flawed a game it is (terrible voice acting, meh graphical quality, idiotic enemy AI) I still really enjoyed it because it ignored everything in the Terminator franchise after T2 and I got to pew pew pew Terminators in a post apocalyptic LA.

It really was quite fun. Looking back I liked that it didn't give you weapons to reliably kill terminators until you joined the Resistance.

God drat were the sex scenes jarring and funny. I'm pretty sure the commander "seduces" you by straight asking "Hey wanna gently caress? We'll probably die tomorrow."

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

signalnoise posted:

Wow this just gets better and better. I agree signalnoise should produce the next Ogre Battle or whatever we're talking about.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

limp_cheese posted:

It really was quite fun. Looking back I liked that it didn't give you weapons to reliably kill terminators until you joined the Resistance.

God drat were the sex scenes jarring and funny. I'm pretty sure the commander "seduces" you by straight asking "Hey wanna gently caress? We'll probably die tomorrow."

The romance options in Saints Row 4 are still the best in any game ever for this reason.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

signalnoise posted:

if I've learned anything in my life it's that all high school girls in japan are rocking absolutely enormous, balloon-like, back pain-causing tittys and also have magical demon powers and probably carry katanas for some reason. truly the promised land, nippon

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Play posted:

if I've learned anything in my life it's that all high school girls in japan are rocking absolutely enormous, balloon-like, back pain-causing tittys and also have magical demon powers and probably carry katanas for some reason. truly the promised land, nippon

This game writes itself

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Trying my best to not have any awkward sex scenes in Mass Effect Andromeda but sometimes there's a dialogue choice which has an icon of just two people and it sounds motivational but then it gets lame and flirty, but there's also a dialogue choice with a heart which is lame and flirty. I am not trying to have sex with any of these aliens; just let me try to be nice to my crew so we can go be buds and murder everyone else in the galaxy ffs.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I've said this time and again, it should be legally mandated that every character in video games is a sexless, genderless mannequin. The drop of games that manage to handle sexuality gracefully are worth giving up to destroy the ocean that do not

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I always apply a CRT filter, but only to games made after 2010.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

feelix posted:

I've said this time and again, it should be legally mandated that every character in video games is a sexless, genderless mannequin. The drop of games that manage to handle sexuality gracefully are worth giving up to destroy the ocean that do not

I didn't really mind it in the Witcher 3 because at least the characters had some kind of history over a whole bunch of books, and also there was a very obvious 'nah' button but in ME:A I seem to say things that are cringey and flirty unintentionally because the text prompt just seems like a nice thing to say to encourage a friend.

But other than that I am joining the fridge corn "Mass Effect Andromeda is cool and good" club because I'm enjoying this game quite a lot.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Someday video game sex will be indistinguishable from the real thing.

Hell they already have actors playing video game characters. Now they just need to... gently caress each other on camera, I guess? Full on MOCAP flopping dicks and bush hair

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

signalnoise posted:

It's inaccurate, but it's not bad faith. It does more than "just blur". It also adds linear paths that were not meant to be there. If you prefer this, that's you, but acting like it's improving the accuracy of the image to the intention, without question, is some major side-eye poo poo

Now, if you say you don't understand what's going on here, I'd say it's you who's arguing in bad faith.

Also consider that those sprites were surely cherry picked to be the ones that look good with the filter. Those are some of the best sharpened sprites I've ever seen, but personally I still prefer the pixels for basically the same reason you're saying -- filters can't add information, only remove it, so I'd rather see the sprite as originally drawn and let my brain fill in the gaps of what they were going for, instead of locking myself into seeing what the filter would produce.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Quote-Unquote posted:

I didn't really mind it in the Witcher 3 because at least the characters had some kind of history over a whole bunch of books, and also there was a very obvious 'nah' button but in ME:A I seem to say things that are cringey and flirty unintentionally because the text prompt just seems like a nice thing to say to encourage a friend.

But other than that I am joining the fridge corn "Mass Effect Andromeda is cool and good" club because I'm enjoying this game quite a lot.

isn't witcher the one where you get a collectible card every time you gently caress a woman

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

feelix posted:

isn't witcher the one where you get a collectible card every time you gently caress a woman

I think that's the first one, which I didn't play.

The second one has a really stupid bit where you save an elf from being raped and so she has sex with you to reward you.

They somehow got way better for the third one.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Why would you even want to turn pixel art into flash-game looking crap like that? I don't even get it. I might have an unreasonable attachment to the look of classic pixel art, but I do believe it looks better, objectively, than almost any other 2d option.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Play posted:

I clicked back through 5 posts trying to figure out what game is being discussed and its either a Persona game or Ogre Tactics.

Probably a Persona game, I just cant be sure.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Quote-Unquote posted:

They somehow got way better for the third one.

because it's the first game where they could have geralt without memory loss

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

feelix posted:

I've said this time and again, it should be legally mandated that every character in video games is a sexless, genderless mannequin.

I empathize with your desire to see representation of your demographic in video games

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Control was a pretty fun game for a while but it got too difficult so I gave up.

Any action game without difficulty levels is automatically poo poo.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Good news they added a bunch of options to change the difficulty

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

site posted:

Good news they added a bunch of options to change the difficulty

Seriously? I might reinstall it then. I was having a really good time with it for a couple of hours until I hit a fight that I died in less than five seconds to and couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah they added options for like damage reduction by percentage, energy recharge speed increase, or just straight up turn on invincibility and one hit kills if you want. none of it affects achievement completion either, if that's a thing you care about.

also if you only made it a couple hours in prioritize upgrading launch/throw because that's your biggest damage attack

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

site posted:

yeah they added options for like damage reduction by percentage, energy recharge speed increase, or just straight up turn on invincibility and one hit kills if you want. none of it affects achievement completion either, if that's a thing you care about.

also if you only made it a couple hours in prioritize upgrading launch/throw because that's your biggest damage attack

Yeah I felt underpowered as hell. I dunno if I hosed up my upgrades but there were these flying dudes that dodged all my attacks and hitting them barely did any damage, meanwhile there were a shitload of squishier dudes on the ground that killed me if I didn't immediately kill them - and vice versa with the flying dudes.

I'll reinstall it when I've finished with Mass Effect Andromeda.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Quote-Unquote posted:

Seriously? I might reinstall it then. I was having a really good time with it for a couple of hours until I hit a fight that I died in less than five seconds to and couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.

You should run around in a DooM style berserk mode and ragdoll everyone around beating guys to death with other guys and chairs and things.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Quote-Unquote posted:

Control was a pretty fun game for a while but it got too difficult so I gave up.

I got to the bit that they seem to insist on putting in every game where you get a bunch of arenas with different configurations of fights, like a buffet of violence, that is somehow always the low point of every game. I was all excited to use the jukebox and then came out the other side and my heart sank.

Often, (usually) these sections are optional, and maybe this one is? But I just loving hate them existing, it totally cheapens the whole thing to me, because it's just the game laid bare. It totally smashes any immersion.

I mean I don't "hate" hate it, but it makes me think less of a game. If youre gonna do that, have it be explicitly a different game mode, don't throw it in the campaign

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lol the jukebox is in fact an optional side quest

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Control can be pretty challenging but your character is extremely powerful, I get the feeling that people who have a lot of trouble with it aren't really using her to her full potential. You can fly, put up an invincibilty shield, the throw move is incredibly damaging and the. guns are all infinite ammo with a very short recharge. The health system can make it a bit tricky sometimes, i'll admit.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Quote-Unquote posted:

do souls games count?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

site posted:

lol the jukebox is in fact an optional side quest

This is like the third time I've done this, lol, I'm such a loving idiot.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Caesar Saladin posted:

Control can be pretty challenging but your character is extremely powerful, I get the feeling that people who have a lot of trouble with it aren't really using her to her full potential. You can fly, put up an invincibilty shield, the throw move is incredibly damaging and the. guns are all infinite ammo with a very short recharge. The health system can make it a bit tricky sometimes, i'll admit.

tbf there are some trap skills early on if you're going through your first time. like, you might think shield and melee are actually be useful because those are among the first major skills introduced, but they extremely aren't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

feelix posted:

I'm just going to point out part of why the Outter Worlds was cool and good is your NPC companions were not fuckable. So you could just be a cool friend and not accidentally tip into romance. Hell, there's specifically a cute arc about helping a dorky crewmate navigate romantic feelings for another NPC. Even though that crewmate was specifically written to be a waifu. I don't know if it was shameless pandering that they wrote her to be a mascot the internet would adopt, or incredibly funny they checked like every box for nerds to obsess with her then did that.