Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Pron on VHS posted:

Someone mentioned Baldurs Gate. That manual was too wild for me.

The best manual ever? The Kings Quest compendium. I read that fucker a billion times despite never playing any Kings Quest games besides KQ5

I had a strategy guide for the first 6 king's quest games that featured both a normal walkthough and then walk throughs that were presented as in universe narratives. Most were just like diaries, but the King's Quest 3 one was framed as Prince Alexander being interviewed for a newspaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1pCxXrorKM

The town theme is burned into my head

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Pron on VHS posted:

Someone mentioned Baldurs Gate. That manual was too wild for me.

The best manual ever? The Kings Quest compendium. I read that fucker a billion times despite never playing any Kings Quest games besides KQ5

I loved the hint booklet where you'd have scrambled text and a red filter to uncover it to tell you what to do

Also my incredibly dog eared copy of this stupid book:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I used to like reading the user manual while the progress bar filled for the install.

Now days you just have to hate yourself while it downloads a day 1 patch on congested servers for 8 hours.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Skwirl posted:

I had a strategy guide for the first 6 king's quest games that featured both a normal walkthough and then walk throughs that were presented as in universe narratives. Most were just like diaries, but the King's Quest 3 one was framed as Prince Alexander being interviewed for a newspaper.

I think this is what I am talking about. It turned the Kings Quest walkthrough into a little short story. I devoured them repeatedly, instead of trying to read a real book. I was obsessed.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
https://www.amazon.com/Kings-Quest-...ps%2C150&sr=8-3

Should I pay 30 bucks for some nostalgia trash. Only 1 copy left, fellas....

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

One of my strongest sense memories is reading the Final Fantasy 7 guide for PC in the car with the AC on. That game was such a nightmare to get working, I think I had the game and guide for at least a month before we ever even got it to play. Right around the time it came out my parents got their first car with AC, and I have such vivid memories of looking through the black and white artwork and reading about limit breaks with the semi-humid transition of AC startup blowing while we left the neighborhood.

Every spring when I fire up the AC for the first time, it makes me think of playing FF7 again, even though I don't even really have that much love for it as an actual game.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Pron on VHS posted:

Yup I remember those icons vividly. The plain arrowhead to the 3D arrowhead to the spiky arrowhead

Yeah but archers/axe throwers were largely a waste of time

Flying units did so little damage for the cost that having anti-air was just about pointless

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Kalli posted:

At an average height of 5'6 per person, that's enough bodies to lie end to end from Boston to Cleveland.

I am now happy to know that I am just taller than average height.

I am not happy that I did shrink about an inch from several years ago, though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
It's not an encyclopedia like some of these, but I had the Morrowind PC manual on my nightstand for far longer than I care to admit, at an age much older than I care to admit having it there.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Android Apocalypse posted:

I am now happy to know that I am just taller than average height.

I am not happy that I did shrink about an inch from several years ago, though.

To be honest, I didn't do much work other then google average height in the US, split the difference between men and women, round down, because the dead are gonna weight towards old and shrinking and the sick, then converted to kilometers then looked at a map, then converted to miles because I have dumb brain.

All while this song is just rampaging through my brain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAFSrKqIKdc&t=398s

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Went and took a look at my dad's old bookshelf of nerd stuff

Growing up with a dad who was a video game nerd before it was a thing was cool sometimes.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

now I feel old because I see F-19 on the shelf and I have fond memories of playing that game

I even remember a european mission where I got the CMOH

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I think I still have the old Ultima cloth maps lying around somewhere

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status/1363976122610966530

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Going to finish the last “godless” episode while making dinner and it kinda falls a little flat so far but this is such a surprisingly good show. Second time I’m thanking whoever recommended (sorry, lovely memory)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
GOG.com had all the Wing Commander games for $1.49 this weekend, so I bought them all for 10 bucks. Still fun as hell to play.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Speaking of oldish (comparatively) games I did start Fallout New Vegas again after it came up a while back and I was right that really don't remember a damned thing about it. But it's good, once you get past absolutely needing to mod it for it to work correctly and finding the mods that don't hard lock your system. The default run speed made me wonder how any of us put up with this back when it came out.

Sending the ghouls to space had me grinning like an idiot.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Looks like $15 min wage is still in it, and if it's unchanged from last week, after the phase-in it transfers the power to the secretary of labor, so you'd never need congress again.

Now to see if the senate parliamentarian leaves it in for reconciliation.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Such grace. Such dignity.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Pron on VHS posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Kings-Quest-...ps%2C150&sr=8-3

Should I pay 30 bucks for some nostalgia trash. Only 1 copy left, fellas....

Considering your username, I figured this was some vintage Ron Jeremy video from the 80s.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Its Rinaldo posted:

Went and took a look at my dad's old bookshelf of nerd stuff

Growing up with a dad who was a video game nerd before it was a thing was cool sometimes.

Oh yeah, I was definitely playing the stuff my dad bought for himself when I was a kid. A-10 Tank Killer was one he loved but I never really got into. Aces Over Europe, though? Now you're speaking my language.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I finished season 3 of The Expanse and personally I'm not all that interested in seeing where it goes from here. I thought the speed limit stuff wasn't very interesting although I see why people like Drummer now. Clarissa being able to get superpowers at will seems like something more people would do and felt very forced, it was kind of out of nowhere. Aside from that, the protomolecule turning out to only have the purpose of creating the ring doesn't make a lot of sense to me given the way it worked prior to that

I'll probably at least give season 4 a shot for a couple episodes

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

iwentdoodie posted:

Had a friend who had a boxer that did this, just wanted to sit on the couch upright like a person would and watch TV with you. He'd snuggle up during movies when he figured out you weren't going anywhere. That dog was awesome.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
So the place gave me an offer, and needs an answer by tomorrow. As I somewhat feared the pay is a bit lower than my ideal situation, but it'd still be $5+ more an hour than what I'm making now and it's just Mon-Fri which is a nice. Overall, it'd absolutely be an improvement financially and the impressions I got from the company itself were very good, but my concern is I'm gonna continue to be stuck with essentially the same living situation indefinitely (Although one of the two people I'm living with should be gone... sometime this year), which has me a little down right now. I'd have to get really lucky if I start looking for a place of my own this year. I'm like 95% gonna accept it in the morning, since I haven't had an offer for anything this good in years, but it kinda took some of the excitement off, particularly compared to the other things I'd been interviewing for lately.

Silly Burrito posted:

GOG.com had all the Wing Commander games for $1.49 this weekend, so I bought them all for 10 bucks. Still fun as hell to play.

gently caress, I saw the sale email and never went back to check what games were covered. I probably should have had those on my wishlist anyway. Eh, they're usually good about doing sales, so I'll get them next time and add them to the ever growing backlog

iwentdoodie posted:

I wanna hug this dog.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

although I see why people like Drummer now. Clarissa being able to get superpowers at will seems like something more people would do and felt very forced, it was kind of out of nowhere.

Not a show watcher, but I read the books. I don't know if I'm mildly spoiling you or not but lets say there are downsides to what Clarissa did to gain those superpowers.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
me whenever you guys talk about comic books

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Grittybeard posted:

Speaking of oldish (comparatively) games I did start Fallout New Vegas again after it came up a while back and I was right that really don't remember a damned thing about it. But it's good, once you get past absolutely needing to mod it for it to work correctly and finding the mods that don't hard lock your system. The default run speed made me wonder how any of us put up with this back when it came out.

Sending the ghouls to space had me grinning like an idiot.

I just started one too. I haven't grabbed any mods though. Anything in particular you'd recommend?

I love that ghouls to space thing too. The one ship nearly crashing had me worried all over again.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Intruder posted:

I finished season 3 of The Expanse and personally I'm not all that interested in seeing where it goes from here. I thought the speed limit stuff wasn't very interesting although I see why people like Drummer now. Clarissa being able to get superpowers at will seems like something more people would do and felt very forced, it was kind of out of nowhere. Aside from that, the protomolecule turning out to only have the purpose of creating the ring doesn't make a lot of sense to me given the way it worked prior to that

I'll probably at least give season 4 a shot for a couple episodes

I also just finished it, and also kinda disliked the huge plot shift after they find Prax's daughter, and the Ring forms. It turned very Sphere-y. The first half of Season 3 was incredible though.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

Not a show watcher, but I read the books. I don't know if I'm mildly spoiling you or not but lets say there are downsides to what Clarissa did to gain those superpowers.

That makes sense but at the same time you have belters who do the slingshot races and seem to die in a fiery crash like 50% of the time, I'm sure those same adrenaline junkies would happily absorb whatever side effects it takes to become the Hulk for a little while

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Intruder posted:

That makes sense but at the same time you have belters who do the slingshot races and seem to die in a fiery crash like 50% of the time, I'm sure those same adrenaline junkies would happily absorb whatever side effects it takes to become the Hulk for a little while

Later on, you get to see that many do, and you get to see what happens to them.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

The Cecil Hotel/ Elisa Lam documentary loving sucks

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

It’s hilarious that the entire Expanse book series was started and finished before GRRM could finish a single ASOIAF book

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I used to play the old DOS-based infocom text adventures when I was really small, and when I was a teen I bought a copy of Treasures of Infocom which had ten of those games in a box, along with all the manuals and leaflets and poo poo those came with. I'm pretty sure I still have it all in a box somewhere.

Totally had manuals for stuff like F-15 Strike Eagle and Populous and Sim Earth, too. Loved those things.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

We should never kink shame.

That said, bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha

https://twitter.com/licensedt0ill/status/1363977916397273091?s=21

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Silly Burrito posted:

Wing Commander you say?

Leperflesh posted:

I used to play the old DOS-based infocom text adventures when I was really small, and when I was a teen I bought a copy of Treasures of Infocom which had ten of those games in a box, along with all the manuals and leaflets and poo poo those came with. I'm pretty sure I still have it all in a box somewhere.

Totally had manuals for stuff like F-15 Strike Eagle and Populous and Sim Earth, too. Loved those things.

I got you fam

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

fartknocker posted:

So the place gave me an offer, and needs an answer by tomorrow. As I somewhat feared the pay is a bit lower than my ideal situation, but it'd still be $5+ more an hour than what I'm making now and it's just Mon-Fri which is a nice. Overall, it'd absolutely be an improvement financially and the impressions I got from the company itself were very good, but my concern is I'm gonna continue to be stuck with essentially the same living situation indefinitely (Although one of the two people I'm living with should be gone... sometime this year), which has me a little down right now. I'd have to get really lucky if I start looking for a place of my own this year. I'm like 95% gonna accept it in the morning, since I haven't had an offer for anything this good in years, but it kinda took some of the excitement off, particularly compared to the other things I'd been interviewing for lately.

Well $5/hour increase is pretty good. That’s $200 a week. I don’t know your current financial situation, but that’s a decent raise. Unless you’re stuck signing a contract, you can always keep looking even after taking this new job.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

How does Alex Jones have any money left to lose.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Leperflesh posted:

I had that treasures of infocom set, as well as the aforementioned KQ companion, as well as an LSL version of that companion. :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Its Rinaldo posted:

Wing Commander you say?

I have no idea where my copies are, sadly. But for a buck fifty and to have it work with no tweaking in DOSBox, that's the price of freedom..