Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Motronic posted:

So "your craft" is now.....woodworking? Not chemistry or whatever term you're using for environmental remediation? I'm trying to keep good notes here but things change so quickly.

no, crafts like watercraft, aircraft, and landcraft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

taqueso posted:

no, crafts like watercraft, aircraft, and landcraft

helicraft? towercraft?

Miloshe
Oct 25, 2009

The little chicken girl wants me to ease up!
He can't handle!
He cries like woman!

I understand everyone is watching this thread like it is a slow motion train wreck, but I've got to second a lot of what Motronic's said here.

I was bit by the timber framing bug, met Jack Sobon himself, got my book autographed, and sought out work timber framing. A 16 by 12 "shed" with a loft. 32 loving rafters. Working with 3 X 5 timbers we milled ourselves from pine trees we harvested that day. Green as a timber can be. This is an important distinction because as soon as your timbers begin to cure in the slightest regardless of power tools you will be sharpening chisels for an hour each day. Your timbers will turn into bananas regardless of how well you sticker them and "prevent moisture intrusion". Do me a favor, Ry, and take a video of you laying out a 36" brace with shoulder. That's it.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Powered Descent posted:

I don't think you've told us much about the Mars stuff. As a fellow space nerd, I'd be interested to hear what you've been doing on that front.

So this was also put on the back burner a bit. But im part of the Mars society and there are a few research enthusiasts groups out there. Where people pose questions and people design experiments and publish their results. It's kind of cool.

So this is a long story. I had a walsted tank set up as a control to solve an ecologic problem in my area, but there was talks of sending me to Antarctica to help inspect construction going on down there and to be a geologist on the ground. I was going to use that as an analog of how construction would work on Mars cause everything I've seen so far is well kind of missing the mark in my opinion. Until they can send a construction crew of 20 up there most ideas are meaningless. Anyway, thinking I was going to Antarctica I couldn't follow through with the ecology research so I started converting it into a bioregenative life support systems micro lab (im hoping to get a PhD in. BLSS before im 50) to solve a biogeochemical problem encountered in Michael langermans experiments on closed ecosystems, but realized I was a year or so out from funding the measuring equipment i needed. However one of the Mar colonization groups I was a part of got really interested in aquaponics and needed data to see if it was viable for space travel and I was like yeah I can do that.

So I ended up doing a aquaponics research project using a walstad tank to provide nutrients for rice. It was a manual aquaponics system so I could easily quantify how much water I was giving the rice and the demand. The rice was grown without soil in a solo cup. It started at 400ml a week then after a month required two helpings of 800ml of water a week. I was also growing a dwarf kumquat tree at the time that was planted in soil.

Some interesting things happened. One algae seemed to form a relationship with the roots. (I fed the minnows algae and to also grow algae in the tank for snails and such. I also bred fruit flies as a snack for the fish). If I was a biologist I would look into that relationship more. But more importantly the algae helped slow the evaporation rate of the water overtime which was important because several droughts occurred while I was working out of state. There was a seemingly endless war between mold and algae as well which the algae won. The tree on the other hand suffered from a gnat infestation (potential food for the minnow) and spider mites. I eventually bought worms and predatory mites to fight off the gnats and spider mites. The worms took care of the gnat problem however the spider mite problem proved to be a cyclic problem. The predator mites would eradicate the spider mite. Die then baby spider mites would hatch and I'd have to get more predatory mites.

In the end I about a third of my rice crop died from drought which wouldn't happen on a true aquaponics system and someone dedicated to taking care of it and my kumquat only produced one fruit (when I went to pollinate the flowers fell off in the wind and quetipping). The kumquat was mighty tasty though. The rice produced 25 grains per plant after roughly six months which was about a quarter of the ideal yield.

What I took away from this was:
1. I could save time by cycling the walstad tank and growing the rice sprouts at the same time. As the tank will be cycled at the same time the rice is ready to take in exterior nutrients instead of cycling the tank first then growing rice.
2. Having rice in the aquaponics tank or recycling the water helps balance the nitrates and ph.
3. Algae was important to the process to help stave of drought and may potentially serve the same function a fungi to the roots.
4. Algae eating fish, snails, and fast growing aquatic plants can manage the algae.
5. Aquaponic rice is too slow to be useful for temporary structures like a single flight to Mars. However for space buses, orbital stations, and on the ground it may be useful.
6. If you go the terrestrial route you may need to have a culture of species on hand to address any pests you experience in addition to the microcosm you have to create to maintain the soil balance.
7. Going the terrestrial route is easily a half over to twice as heavy and less efficient as aqualonics
8. Going pure hydroponic is not as renewable as terrestrial or aquaponic.
9. There has to be a person dedicated to maintaining a manual aquaponics or terrestrial system
10. I need to become a better gardener

I am sure there is more I am forgetting.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Miloshe posted:

I understand everyone is watching this thread like it is a slow motion train wreck, but I've got to second a lot of what Motronic's said here.

I was bit by the timber framing bug, met Jack Sobon himself, got my book autographed, and sought out work timber framing. A 16 by 12 "shed" with a loft. 32 loving rafters. Working with 3 X 5 timbers we milled ourselves from pine trees we harvested that day. Green as a timber can be. This is an important distinction because as soon as your timbers begin to cure in the slightest regardless of power tools you will be sharpening chisels for an hour each day. Your timbers will turn into bananas regardless of how well you sticker them and "prevent moisture intrusion". Do me a favor, Ry, and take a video of you laying out a 36" brace with shoulder. That's it.

Your build had 6 inch center spacing or am I missing something?

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Miloshe posted:

You're supposed to sharpen your chisels more than an hour each day. Just like you hone a straight razor each day when shaving. You're suppose to do it any time you see a performance drop. That as a whole is one thing most people don't realize about wood working. At least a quarter of it is sharpening. We will see how it goes. Do you still have the tools? Cause I need proper bigger chisels lol.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I slam wood together like a god drat maniac. Drilling, powersawing, orbital sanding the material with a complete disregard that it's called woodworking . Lines straight, poo poo fits, no cracks, good to go. Hold on I'll be right back, the wood that I'm jamming the drill into is burning because the bit is as dull as a watermelon.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Sounds like great exercise!

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

um excuse me posted:

I slam wood together like a god drat maniac. Drilling, powersawing, orbital sanding the material with a complete disregard that it's called woodworking . Lines straight, poo poo fits, no cracks, good to go. Hold on I'll be right back, the wood that I'm jamming the drill into is burning because the bit is as dull as a watermelon.

what kind of pussy-rear end metal goes blunt drilling into a piece of glorified grass

Miloshe
Oct 25, 2009

He can't handle!
He cries like woman!

um excuse me posted:

Your build had 6 inch center spacing or am I missing something?

Eaves exist. 16 per side of the structure. The take-away, however should be the amount of laborious yet precise work required on each, even when you're being paid to do so. It's not like riding a bike where you can walk away for a week. You WILL have to reteach yourself if you haven't been doing it for 20 years. Which is how long it will take Ry without a circular saw, corded drills, and "bigger chisels".

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Motronic posted:

helicraft? towercraft?

My grovercraft is full of eels.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Motronic, please never stop posting. :allears:

Miloshe
Oct 25, 2009

He can't handle!
He cries like woman!

dervinosdoom posted:

Motronic, please never stop posting. :allears:

Just wait until Ry decides to cast his own 8" Timber-loks in sand because they're too expensive and mortising sucks.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Motronic posted:

The problem here is that a decent percentage of what's being posted here is complete fabrication. I'm just not sure what percentage it is yet.

Just grab a bag of popcorn and an extra large coke and watch the show.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

im so glad ads exist

:munch:

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Here is a glimpse of my stalled woodshed.

Started bringing in the doors to dry. I didn't see any damage yet. I have to decide where to put my workbench on the land of MurderHaus. I was thinking of just creating a lean-to type structure for it to reside under. It doesn't have a top because it was suppose to essentially be a boat making workbench and the joists are station markers that I attach the frame supports to. Before I closed shop, I had made a few odds and ends such as a clothes rack and bookcase a few more things for various women I've dated and a couple sail boat rudders.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Miloshe posted:

Just wait until Ry decides to cast his own 8" Timber-loks in sand because they're too expensive and mortising sucks.

I actually use to cast jewelry in highschool so this in not outside the realm of possibility except I'd probably just cast spikes. One of my boat building books has references on how to make your own fasteners.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Trees stay outside in the forest all the time, and they're just fine. The doors are made of trees, nothing could possibly happen to them.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Outdoor trees are devastating to the local wildlife.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Rytheric posted:

Here is a glimpse of my stalled woodshed.

Started bringing in the doors to dry. I didn't see any damage yet. I have to decide where to put my workbench on the land of MurderHaus. I was thinking of just creating a lean-to type structure for it to reside under. It doesn't have a top because it was suppose to essentially be a boat making workbench and the joists are station markers that I attach the frame supports to. Before I closed shop, I had made a few odds and ends such as a clothes rack and bookcase a few more things for various women I've dated and a couple sail boat rudders.

All of your photos look like there's a shower blasting out steam right out of frame, lol

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Johnny Truant posted:

All of your photos look like there's a shower blasting out steam right out of frame, lol

It's the fifty gallon fire pit he wears as a cape.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Johnny Truant posted:

It's smoke from the portable firepit he carries with him everywhere.

E: drat.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

This thread seems tailor made for these forums in a way I can’t completely articulate. Anyway I’m enjoying it and thanks, hope your doors dry ok.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Johnny Truant posted:

I was thinking 70s Penthouse photography

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

kreeningsons posted:

This thread seems tailor made for these forums in a way I can’t completely articulate. Anyway I’m enjoying it and thanks, hope your doors dry ok.

Hope I'm not lifting the veil too much but this thread has the classic goon stuck in a well story arc:

quote:

OP: "Help! HELP! I'm stuck in a well!!!"
Goons1-4: "Climb! Climb up and take our hands!"
OP: "I'm thinking I should dig... should I dig?"
Goon5: "NO! I was trapped in a well, and digging is a bad idea! Climb out!"
Goons6-8: "Were lowering ropes! Take hold of a rope!"
Goon9: "I've even tied a harness to the end of this one!"
OP: "I can feel the ropes, but I don't want to hold onto them... should I dig?"
Goon10: "No! If you dig, you'll hit water, and then you'll be proper hosed. I should know, I almost drowned."
OP: "I dug a little bit just now, and I haven't hit water. I'm gonna keep digging..."
Goons11-18: "No! Climb! Climb out!"
OP: "Guys, I'm seriously stuck in this well! Help! HELP!!!"
Goon19: "I was trapped in a well once. It took me two years, but I managed to build a climbing machine that pulled me to safety out of a well bucket and a pocket watch. I'm dropping the blueprints, extra buckets, and an assortment of pocket watches."
Goon20: "I've engineered a jet-pack that will rocket you to safety. Stay where you are and we'll lower it down!"
OP: "Thanks for your help, guys. I'm gonna keep digging. I'll find the Mines of Moria and I'll just walk to the surface."
**Goons1-20 piss in the well**
Goon21: "Guys, seriously... stop peeing in the well."
Goon22:"Yeah, like any of you guys have even seen a real well, you neckbearded, WOW-addicted shut-ins."

OP hasn't quite started digging yet, but he's sure thinking about it.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

I just assumed they were all from the spirit world or some poo poo because no way does this whole saga exist in our common shared reality.

oggb
Feb 19, 2021

Johnny Truant posted:

He's using a very thinly sliced piece of locally sourced wild potatoe as a lens protector.

E: WHO THE gently caress IS COPY!?

oggb fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 23, 2021

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Imagine getting mad because some guy you don't know on a lovely forum isn't doing timber framing the way you want him to.

loving hell, let him do what he wants so I can watch it happen. Nitpicking every little thing is going to ruin this thread.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My motivations are to prevent Ry from dying, generally.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Fidelitious posted:

Imagine getting mad because some guy you don't know on a lovely forum isn't doing timber framing the way you want him to.

loving hell, let him do what he wants so I can watch it happen. Nitpicking every little thing is going to ruin this thread.

Naah, this is someone barging in saying "I wanna build a calculator FROM SCRATCH. I've got the sand and took some javascript classes in college. I should be good. I'm carving the calculator case now with this pocketknife from a tree I found lying around. I just watched some YouTube videos, and an all-up silicon fab house doesn't seem that hard. How can I use pocket lint as a structural reinforcement for the drop tower I'm planning to dig by hand in land I don't own yet?"

He's telling us nothing, has wild goals, wilder ambitions, and no demonstrated skill or talent.

This is absolutely goon in a well. The reason this thread fits SA so well is it is absolutely what SA was like 2000-2004, and that was a wonderful time.

Rytheric, keep going, but do know you're in way way way over your head as far as we can tell, and handwaving with "I watched youtube and it doesn't seem that hard" just makes people who actually know how hard it is pretty angry.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

I really did enjoy the timber framing videos. I’m construction ignorant and didn’t even know it was a building structure subtype. That timber framing teacher’s videos looked pretty slick, I imagine everything goes together as perfect as possible when students build the timber frame in his shop. Legitimately looking forward this thread as an unvarnished real world timber frame building experience.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

i knew as soon as Motronic started posting in here that the timer for people saying he was being mean and getting upset had begun :allears:

Snowy posted:

I was thinking 70s Penthouse photography

if there was an abundance of those see through glass brick things i think this would be :discourse:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Fidelitious posted:

"Yeah, like any of you guys have even seen a real well, you neckbearded, WOW-addicted shut-ins."

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

um excuse me posted:

My motivations are to prevent Ry from dying, generally.

Yeah I should be fine as long as I don't entrap myself some how.

Johnny Truant posted:

I broke my camera glass initially while cleaning up my sail boat. I had it in my pocket and then leaned against the corner of the galley as I was fixing my keel winch. Probably a sign I need to round that corner. Would hate to trip going below deck and have my temple hit the corner or it stab my eye. Then I ruined the camera proper during a heating oil tank pull.

I have a back up phone to take pictures, but I can't seen to figure out where I put it.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Rytheric, keep going, but do know you're in way way way over your head as far as we can tell, and handwaving with "I watched youtube and it doesn't seem that hard" just makes people who actually know how hard it is pretty angry.

One point is that I don't care if something is hard. You just do it. If an obstacle presents itself you don't just put your hands up; you adapt to overcome the problem. You figure it out, solve it, and get past it. One of my biggest construction projects was a multistory basketball collosseum with attached hotel and conference center. (Probably just doxed my self on that but oh well). A problem we had on that job was that what the engineer designed for the rebar simply didn't match reality or the options available. Instead of throwing up our hands or just winging it, I would work with the contractor what they thought would work from their experience or help them come up with an alternative and communicate to the engineer the problem and the solutions we had discussed to see if they would work or if he had an alternative. There were plenty times the contractors would come up with something that was a common work around that overtime proved to fail and other times when it was the most appropriate option. The only thing that was truly hard about it was getting it done on time as we would pour everything that day every day. The saying attached to this is every plan is perfect until it meets the enemy. Something being hard or grueling is not a justification to not doing something if it's something you want to do. I get the enjoyment of doing, seeing things transform before my eyes, solving problems, and developing solutions with others. The only justification for not doing some you want is if it harms others which is why I'm outsourcing the Timbers as I don't want to risk hitting someone's house or powerline with a tree.

Another thing I've learned over the years is that analysis paralysis is the biggest killer of any dream. You will spend eternity thinking over the fine details only to find that if you ever get it doing it all that time was wasted because you would have quickly realized it in the field or you missed something. I use to be that way. Infact none of these projects would be even be started if I couldn't buy everything outright in the past. I wouldn't have a grovertruk to be happy and have pride in and enjoy, I'd still be twiddling my thumbs somewhere getting depressed waiting for something to happen.

I find it best to figure out a coherent outline, put in a summary of each section, then use that as motivation to fill in the rest of that project as you actually have something down to work from and then consort with experts if you come across a problem you can't readily figure out.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Rytheric posted:

One point is that I don't care if something is hard. You just do it. If an obstacle presents itself you don't just put your hands up; you adapt to overcome the problem. You figure it out, solve it, and get past it. One of my biggest construction projects was a multistory basketball collosseum with attached hotel and conference center. (Probably just doxed my self on that but oh well). A problem we had on that job was that what the engineer designed for the rebar simply didn't match reality or the options available. Instead of throwing up our hands or just winging it, I would work with the contractor what they thought would work from their experience or help them come up with an alternative and communicate to the engineer the problem and the solutions we had discussed to see if they would work or if he had an alternative. There were plenty times the contractors would come up with something that was a common work around that overtime proved to fail and other times when it was the most appropriate option. The only thing that was truly hard about it was getting it done on time as we would pour everything that day every day. The saying attached to this is every plan is perfect until it meets the enemy. Something being hard or grueling is not a justification to not doing something if it's something you want to do. I get the enjoyment of doing, seeing things transform before my eyes, solving problems, and developing solutions with others. The only justification for not doing some you want is if it harms others which is why I'm outsourcing the Timbers as I don't want to risk hitting someone's house or powerline with a tree.

Another thing I've learned over the years is that analysis paralysis is the biggest killer of any dream. You will spend eternity thinking over the fine details only to find that if you ever get it doing it all that time was wasted because you would have quickly realized it in the field or you missed something. I use to be that way. Infact none of these projects would be even be started if I couldn't buy everything outright in the past. I wouldn't have a grovertruk to be happy and have pride in and enjoy, I'd still be twiddling my thumbs somewhere getting depressed waiting for something to happen.

I find it best to figure out a coherent outline, put in a summary of each section, then use that as motivation to fill in the rest of that project as you actually have something down to work from and then consort with experts if you come across a problem you can't readily figure out.

This is a really valuable attitude towards projects in life in general.

When applied specifically to construction it leads to adaptations that seem like a good idea at the time but miss something important about why it was designed the way it was originally.

The wikipedia category "Bridge disasters caused by construction error" has 24 separate pages on it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Notahippie posted:

This is a really valuable attitude towards projects in life in general.

When applied specifically to construction it leads to adaptations that seem like a good idea at the time but miss something important about why it was designed the way it was originally.

The wikipedia category "Bridge disasters caused by construction error" has 24 separate pages on it.

he did say they were checking with the engineer

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Just to make it clear for everyone in this thread, you're allowed to and extremely encouraged to point out oversights and scope creep and yak shaving and everything else that is clearly coming up with a project as... ambitious as this. Where I'm drawing the line for moderation in this thread is personal insults. The time for pissing in the well is when all reasonable solutions have been rejected and the goon is on their way to Khazad-dûm.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

corgski posted:

Just to make it clear for everyone in this thread, you're allowed to and extremely encouraged to point out oversights and scope creep and yak shaving and everything else that is clearly coming up with a project as... ambitious as this. Where I'm drawing the line for moderation in this thread is personal insults. The time for pissing in the well is when all reasonable solutions have been rejected and the goon is on their way to Khazad-dûm.

Please don't piss in my well, it will take a lot of hand bailing to purge it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Yeah guys, the OP has dedicated holes in the ground for pissing in.