Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

The Gunslinger posted:

That seems kind of nuts, I haven't heard that from anyone. I personally did a Total Cost of Ownership comparison with 2 other cars I was looking at where I amortized the costs over 6 years. I rarely buy a new car but if I do, I keep it at least 5 years and usually more like 6-8, barring unforeseen events like accidents or etc. I wouldn't want to keep a car much longer than that anyway due to new tech and other safety improvements.

Yeah, I bought my Altima in 2013, paid it off in April 2019 and was like "Boy it is nice to not have any car payments!", then in December 2019 I randomly watched a video of the windows breaking during the Cybertruck reveal to laugh at it...and the youtube algorithm then bombard me with Tesla videos. So by January I had ordered a P3D-, but it did take till July to finally get delivery of it thanks to covid and other 2020 fuckups. Not that I haven't held on to vehicles for a long time, what I was driving before the Altima was a 1993 Nissan light truck that was rusted to hell, and we also drove a Chevy Impala 241,000 miles in ~10 years. I can't really see holding on to a vehicle for more than 10-12 years because stuff just starts to rust/break after that amount of time even if you care for it well. On the other hand switching vehicles at less than 5 years would feel wasteful/excessive if it is still working fine, get a few more years out of it while its paid off and still cheap to maintain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Any sites with the details on the hyundai/kia update? I see nothing new on their sites.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

priznat posted:

Any sites with the details on the hyundai/kia update? I see nothing new on their sites.

This livestream is set to begin in 9 hours:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTiI1XPElK8

That's 2:00 AM my time, guess I'll find out what's new tomorrow morning!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Nfcknblvbl posted:

This livestream is set to begin in 9 hours:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTiI1XPElK8

That's 2:00 AM my time, guess I'll find out what's new tomorrow morning!

Ohhhh :doh: it says 11pm PST on the site and my brain just thought AM because a stream that late would be weird not thinking of it is probably from Seoul.

Ah well something to check out if I’m up then and remember!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

priznat posted:

Ohhhh :doh: it says 11pm PST on the site and my brain just thought AM because a stream that late would be weird not thinking of it is probably from Seoul.

Ah well something to check out if I’m up then and remember!

I'll try and post highlights if I'm up

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Man, I know some people who have bought Models 3s claiming they will keep it for 30 years since it's futureproof and nothing on it will wear out.

I think they _may_ be a tad optimistic.

From what I've seen of paint quality and rust proofing, Model 3s are not going to last long anywhere that gets road salt.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
LMAO so the hyundai premiere thing didn't really say anything about prices or dates (for the us) which is the most important thing right now to me. Reservations are apparently available now for germany, uk, france, norway, and the netherlands claiming summer 2021 availability. The uk reservation site says 45k GBP, while the netherlands site says 58,995 euro for a 1st edition/production which is fully loaded. For reference, an id.4 1st max was €59,950 in germant

Main things that stood out to me, not all of it being new:
Rear seats can slide forward/back
Camera based side mirrors (probably will delay us release)
3 meter wheelbase or as they said 100mm longer than the palisade, gives it a 2" longer wheelbase than a model x and a 5" longer wheelbase than a 3 assuming the first thing that popped up on google is right.
Front seats seem to mimic recliners
400/800v charging. 80% in 18 minutes, 100km in 5
V2L for powering things off an inverter

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 23, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Charles posted:

The Ioniq 5 premiere is Feb 22 11pm Pacific time.
https://www.hyundai.com/worldwide/en/ioniq/ioniq5

Stuff you can see already
  • 20 inch rims
  • it's a CUV
  • some physical controls visible for climate, volume knob, source selection, parking sensors, etc
  • 2 stalks on the right of the steering wheel -- don't know Hyundai's controls, besides the wipers, what is the other one?
    Edit; probably the shifter, duh.
  • sliding center console, like on the Nissan Ariya
  • pixel headlights
  • full-width clamshell hood
  • extending leg rest like some of those old chaueffer driven Korean and Japanese cars Doug DeMuro has reviewed
  • flat floor allows you to exit either side of the vehicle
  • eco interior made out of eco-leather and rape flower oils
  • 3.5kW inverter on board for power outlets, interior & exterior
  • 10 to 80% in 18 minutes, 100km in 5 minutes
  • E-GMP is not ICE dervied, allowing long wheelbase
  • A/C hardware relocated further forward to where an ICE engine would be
  • sliding rear seats maybe? It's ambigious if it's just talking about how the E-GMP chassis can be configured

Yeah that was pretty underwhelming, and didn't tell us much more than this, and the actual design, which is a little futuristic but nothing too bad, IMO.
In addition to the post above mine:
Flush door handles (I'd rather have regular, but whatever)
Autonomous driving package where they explicitly mentioned it slows down in curves
Two giant screens in the dash but a fair level of normal controls otherwise
LEDs on the speakers like on a Kia Soul :v:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yikes that wheelbase. It's even a few cm longer than the Model S. I wonder what turning circle the AWD version will get.

gwrtheyrn posted:

V2L for powering things off an inverter

This seems really awesome. It's a whopping 3.6 kW! You get a regular socket in the cabin and an adaptor to the charging port, which supplies the same power outside the car. That's enough power to run a compressor or a power washer or a vacuum cleaner. Or four vacuum cleaners! No need for a power socket at your parking spot to do cleaning and maintenance, you could also power wash it wherever so long as you brought or had available water.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Okay so if you click into the sites you can get pricing for base model + the 1st edition package

Base Price:
41,900.00 EUR / 40,000.00 GBP

Project 45 package including all-wheel drive and 72.6 kWh battery [2], [3]
17,650.00 EUR
6,500.00 GBP (I suspect this may not include the same things as the german price)

So it's probably going to be ID.4 price range.

Also apparently preliminary estimate of 287 miles, probably wltp, and 5.2s 0-60. And apparently has a front trunk

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Feb 23, 2021

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Man that looks really nice for a charging break, if I'm not making money vacuuming the other cars at the Ionity station.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Ola posted:

Man that looks really nice for a charging break, if I'm not making money vacuuming the other cars at the Ionity station.

Bets on that only being on the top trim, and there's 0% chance I'd pay for it if it's an extra $18k like it is for the german preorders

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

gwrtheyrn posted:

Also apparently preliminary estimate of 287 miles, probably wltp, and 5.2s 0-60. And apparently has a front trunk

The frunk is pretty small apparently. Looks like they gave info out to press / youtube with an embargo of course.
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/hyundai-ioniq-5-tesla-model-y-ford-mustang-mach-e-vw-id-4-comparison/

Dimensions: smaller than a model Y despite the wheelbase, a little bigger than an id4.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Charles posted:

The frunk is pretty small apparently. Looks like they gave info out to press / youtube with an embargo of course.
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/hyundai-ioniq-5-tesla-model-y-ford-mustang-mach-e-vw-id-4-comparison/

Dimensions: smaller than a model Y despite the wheelbase, a little bigger than an id4.

Looks like both cnet and arstechnica say this fall. Wonder if that's just speculation based on when things normally come out or if they were actually told that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

gwrtheyrn posted:

Looks like both cnet and arstechnica say this fall. Wonder if that's just speculation based on when things normally come out or if they were actually told that.

For some reason we get an extra 5kwh or so in North America which is what takes away our frunk space 😭
https://www.hyundainews.com/en-us/models/hyundai-ioniq_5-2022-ioniq_5
This has a bunch of specs I'm getting tired to read, but I saw available solar roof :P

edit: OH YEAH there's a HUD, which is cool, I really liked the one on the Mazda I drove

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Feb 23, 2021

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Ok that Ioniq 5 seems really good for that price! I'm with Ola, going to offset my charging costs by cleaning other cars while I wait. I can see the money rolling in already! Long extension cords and I'll get the ICE cars as well. All these new electic cars make me want one so bad, but at the same time I'm really glad that I went with PHEV in the meantime, because I'd be really sad if I just blew a ton on a model 3 or KIA e-Niro.

I also worked out that buying my car with cash was the right way compared to leasning. It's cheaper per month, and I still have a car after 3 years. But then again, this is a KIA with 7 years warranty, so buying it makes more sense. I'm now also going from 120km a day to using my bicycle to go to work for 3 months, so there is no excuse not to use 100% electric during this period unless I'm going for longer trips.

Anyway, the Ioniq 5 is on my top 3 list for when I'm going full electric.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MrOnBicycle posted:

Anyway, the Ioniq 5 is on my top 3 list for when I'm going full electric.

Sounds like a good plan. You'll get more value / less waste out of your current car, local infrastructure will be better and the Ioniq 5 will have its inevitable v1.0 bugs shaken out.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Ola posted:

Sounds like a good plan. You'll get more value / less waste out of your current car, local infrastructure will be better and the Ioniq 5 will have its inevitable v1.0 bugs shaken out.

Yeah, and I think the low tax and being a PHEV will make it hold value more than diesels and petrol cars.

One thing I love with EVs is that there is a return of RWD as well.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

MrOnBicycle posted:

One thing I love with EVs is that there is a return of RWD as well.

A lot of the move to FWD was due to packaging for manufacture, plus cost of said manufacture - which EV's pretty much make irrelevant. Now RWD can win for ease of assembly, there's a shitload less complexity to stick between the axles and hey, keeping the steering and drive units separate is cheaper to make as well!

Let alone the fact FWD and big torque from zero are not a good mix.

Oh and no engine / motor in the front? Well that makes for a biiiiiig crumple zone now with no need to design for a big heavy engine and gearbox to go under the car - and if it's AWD there's much less there to have to design for in crash. EV's are pretty much perfect to work with a faster reacting traction control too. When you put it all together I think FWD might well be a loser in the EV switchover, RWD I think will be the entry level with AWD / multi-motor used for upscale and performance variants (where the cost of manufacture will be offset by higher prices of course).

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

3.6kW inverter is enormous! You could charge a Zero FX 3.6 off that!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

3.6kW inverter is enormous! You could charge a Zero FX 3.6 off that!

You can charge anything off that, until the Ioniq's battery runs out that is. A stranded Tesla Model S will get 20 km of range with just one hour of emergency help (probably 15 km after charging losses).

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

You can charge anything off that, until the Ioniq's battery runs out that is. A stranded Tesla Model S will get 20 km of range with just one hour of emergency help (probably 15 km after charging losses).

Yeah I mean you can charge it at the maximum rate it can take. Like you'd get from a wall outlet. 120V/240V-30A/15A. I dunno maybe picking that particular model zero was a bad example of what I wanted to emphasize.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Feb 23, 2021

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:lol: how could you miss something so obvious on a press reveal car?

https://twitter.com/julkinen/status/1364146996689457159?s=20

*edit: good looking car though.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 23, 2021

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
nope

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 6, 2022

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:lol: how could you miss something so obvious on a press reveal car?

https://twitter.com/julkinen/status/1364146996689457159?s=20

*edit: good looking car though.

The problem is the scratches on the wheel arches, not the wheels, because those wheels are loving wicked.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Finger Prince posted:

The problem is the scratches on the wheel arches, not the wheels, because those wheels are loving wicked.

If I bought it I'd certainly be glad at all the innovation in wheel cleaning products because gently caress having to do those by hand.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Has anyone ever done directional wheels or hub caps? Strange that Tesla haven't.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

If I bought it I'd certainly be glad at all the innovation in wheel cleaning products because gently caress having to do those by hand.

You can just plug a powerwasher into the EV power at least!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ola posted:

Has anyone ever done directional wheels or hub caps? Strange that Tesla haven't.

I think C4 Corvette turbine wheels were directional. I’m sure there are other examples.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Ola posted:

My 2000 Honda Prelude has directional wheels. Apparently the 2014 i3 had directional wheels as well, but they were removed for all subsequent years. I didn't even realize that wasn't the norm until right this moment.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

DoomTrainPhD posted:

I regret to inform you all that the R1T and R1S have the same dumb turn signal stocks as the model 3. :smith:

The ones that don't physically stay down?
Is there a physical headlight switch?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

extravadanza posted:

Haha no clue, second sensor issue in 6 months of ownership so if you thought they had that poo poo figured out from the 3.... Well.

My wife told me that if we lost operating heat on our EV, she would be VERY unhappy,

And I live in San Diego.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Was there a kia event too with their sister car to the ioniq 5? Or is that in a little bit.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ola posted:

My Taycan summer wheels are directional and for additional fun the front and back are also different sizes.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

While hunting for CANBus info for my own non-EV project, I stumbled across this guy and as a card carrying RADL member, am very conflicted.

Nissan Leaf swapping a RX-8
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCmGNSr2fBCAys7zGorELSJV1IywXQ2d5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otLut2NulYc

We're entering the hot rodding days of the 1940's again I think and it is awesome.

Flip side of the coin: https://lunaz.design/

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Swapping the worst EV drivetrain ever built into the worst rotary drivetrain ever built has a certain symmetry to it that I really enjoy.

(I love the RX8 but the Renesis is a disappointing piece of poo poo.)

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

MrYenko posted:

Swapping the worst EV drivetrain ever built into the worst rotary drivetrain ever built has a certain symmetry to it that I really enjoy.

(I love the RX8 but the Renesis is a disappointing piece of poo poo.)

There's a convertible version of the RX8 that comes without a rotary engine :ssh:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
new EV mail truck!

quote:

As for Oshkosh's prototype truck, it's actually based on a Ford Transit. Ford in the past confirmed it was working with Oshkosh on the USPS mail truck prototype, but it's not clear how the vehicle has evolved over the past few years. Ford declined to comment on its work with Oshkosh and the NGDV program.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/usps-electric-mail-trucks-oshkosh-defense/

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

It's a big Daihatsu Mira step through!

https://twitter.com/uhalevi/status/1364351308124336131?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Norwegian YouTuber Bjorn has been posting Mach-E testing videos... https://youtube.com/user/bjornnyland

The center screen software... Needs some work.