Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

it doesn't matter because cspam is purely about aesthetics and does not care about the shitlord that will be nominated in her place

No one Biden nominates for that post is gonna be worse than Neera. Her entire job in that role would be to spite anything Bernie tries to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

it doesn't matter because cspam is purely about aesthetics and does not care about the shitlord that will be nominated in her place

except the people the biden team are floating as replacements are all more progressive than neera, which isn't difficult but lol

e: i mean it's gonna be a garbage fire of a person either way, but it won't be neera tanden and that's funny

Yinlock has issued a correction as of 03:51 on Feb 23, 2021

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

i thought the current anti succ zone argument was that we thought our posting was going to bring about the revolution. can't please everyone.

a neoliberal ghoul IS going into OMB; might as well laugh that it's not going to be neera

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yes, I will own this, I know nothing about Gene Sperling and don't care because I just want to watch Neera Tanden eat poo poo on live TV

I ask so little, have received less, and now am willing to settle for a minor posting enemy being denied a promotion

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

lol

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

WorkerThread posted:

i thought the current anti succ zone argument was that we thought our posting was going to bring about the revolution. can't please everyone.

a neoliberal ghoul IS going into OMB; might as well laugh that it's not going to be neera

neera has the potential to melt down and be generally incompetent

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

loquacius posted:

Yes, I will own this, I know nothing about Gene Sperling and don't care because I just want to watch Neera Tanden eat poo poo on live TV

I ask so little, have received less, and now am willing to settle for a minor posting enemy being denied a promotion

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/shoe0nhead/status/1364008485407571974?s=19

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

and she can do that without having significant power

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Counterpoint: we're not going to get 3am bars and box wine Neera if she does get the job.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Atrocious Joe posted:

Trump escalated sanctions against ever country the US disliked, killing thousands. The assassination of Qasem Soleimani was an act of war against Iran, and it's only because of Iranian impotence that a war was avoided. Bombing war expanded, across Africa in particular, as well.

ftfy

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

the best person on the loving planet could be the director of OMB and it wouldn't matter one slick slimy gently caress

so it is funny that neera is getting rejected

it's funny as gently caress

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/andraydomise/status/1364051137578602501?s=19

please don't probe me, anti-china succ mods

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power

PeterCat posted:

Huntsville has been a center of the US space program since the 50s, it makes sense for the Space Force to be headquartered there.

Alabama and Tennessee are the headquarters of deifying ex-nazis for big bombs and space travel my state is perfect for the Space Force

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

mcmagic posted:

Trump did try to start a war with Iran and luckily the Iranian government didn't really respond in any real way that would have escalated it.

They shot down their own commercial plane, so I'm glad the octogenarian leader lost interest after flailing around hurting itself in confusion.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
neera having to delete so many tweets which probably represent more of her personal and professional life for the past 4 years than anything else she has feels a lot like kiefer sutherland having to jab the needle into his own head to erase his memories in dark city. lol except he got to keep working for the aliens and she doesn't get poo poo, lmao.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Thoguh posted:

No one Biden nominates for that post is gonna be worse than Neera. Her entire job in that role would be to spite anything Bernie tries to do.

Her whole career was to pose as a progressive for the media and push all progressive positions right. Anyone else will be better as at least the media will be less able to say a progressive is doing these things.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

fun trip down memory lane with some powerful bruenig posting https://www.vox.com/2016/5/21/11724298/bruenighazi-matt-bruenig-neera-tanden-demos

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

bruenighazi

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

she sounds like an absolutely horrible boss and i hope the OMB staff are spared her

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

kids in cages 🤗 a us department of health and human services temporary youth shelter for unaccompanied teenagers 🤗

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1364051498506805266

quote:

CARRIZO SPRINGS, Tex. — Dozens of migrant teens boarded vans Monday for the trip down a dusty road to a former man camp for oil field workers here, the first migrant child facility opened under the Biden administration.

The emergency facility — a vestige of the Trump administration that was open for only a month in summer 2019 — is being reactivated to hold up to 700 children ages 13 to 17.

Government officials say the camp is needed because facilities for migrant children have had to cut capacity by nearly half because of the coronavirus pandemic. At the same time, the number of unaccompanied children crossing the border has been inching up, with January reporting the highest total — more than 5,700 apprehensions — for that month in recent years.

But immigration lawyers and advocates question why the Biden administration would choose to reopen a Trump-era facility that was the source of protests and controversy. From the “tent city” in Tornillo, Tex., to a sprawling for-profit facility in Homestead, Fla., emergency shelters have been criticized by advocates for immigrants, lawyers and human rights activists over their conditions, cost and lack of transparency in their operations.

“It’s unnecessary, it’s costly, and it goes absolutely against everything [President] Biden promised he was going to do,” said Linda Brandmiller, a San Antonio-based immigration lawyer who represents unaccompanied minors. “It’s a step backward, is what it is. It’s a huge step backward.”

During the campaign, Biden pledged to undo former president Donald Trump’s hard-line immigration policies. In his first month in office, Biden signed several executive orders reversing many of those policies. Last week, he and House Democrats introduced a plan that would provide a path to citizenship for 11 million undocumented immigrants. The administration also reversed some of Trump’s expulsion practices by accepting unaccompanied children into the country, a change that also is contributing to an increase of minors in government facilities, officials said.

Mark Weber — a spokesman for the Department of Health and Human Services, the agency that oversees services for migrant children — said the Biden administration is moving away from the “law-enforcement focused” approach of the Trump administration to one in which child welfare is more centric.

At the 66-acre site, groups of beige trailers encircle a giant white dining tent, a soccer field and a basketball court. There is a bright blue hospital tent with white bunk beds inside. A legal services trailer has the Spanish word “Bienvenidos,” or welcome, on a banner on its roof. There are trailers for classrooms, a barber shop, a hair salon. The facility has its own ambulances and firetrucks, as well as its own water supply.

The operation is based on a federal emergency management system, Weber said. The trailers are labeled with names such as Alpha, Charlie and Echo. Staff members wear matching black-and-white T-shirts displaying their roles: disaster case manager, incident support, emergency management.

The most colorful trailer is at the entryway, where flowers, butterflies and handmade posters still hang on its walls from Carrizo’s first opening in 2019.

HHS has 13,200 beds for children, having exploded in growth in the past four years — adding more than 80 facilities for a total of about 200. Weber said putting children in permanent shelters is preferable to the influx shelters like Carrizo, but nearly half of those beds are unusable during the pandemic.

As of Sunday, there were about 7,000 children in HHS custody, over 90 percent capacity under pandemic-era requirements, Weber said. Carrizo is expected to close when the pandemic ends, he said.

“Every kid that comes into this program is a symptom of a broken immigration system,” said Weber, who has worked at HHS since 2012. “So today, we’ve got over 7,000 symptoms of a broken immigration system.”

Weber said the facilities received a bad rap under the Trump administration because many people associated them with the detention centers run by Immigration and Customs Enforcement. But the children always received good care and that never wavered between administrations, he said.

The majority of child migrant facilities are subject to state licensing requirements; temporary influx centers like Carrizo are not. However, Weber said Carrizo would “meet or exceed” Texas licensing standards if applicable. The influx facilities also cost more: about $775 a day per child compared with $290 a day for permanent centers.

Weber said the influx shelters keep children from ending up in Border Patrol stations, which have holding cells that were not designed for children. During the 2019 immigration surge, many migrants were stuck in overcrowded cells for prolonged periods that exceeded legal limits.

The detention centers overseen by ICE are reserved for adults or families and often are run by private prison companies. Carrizo Springs is run by the nonprofit BCFS Health and Human Services, a government contractor for the Office of Refugee Resettlement, the agency within HHS that focuses on unaccompanied children.

Most of these children arrive to the United States planning to reunite with sponsors — usually relatives or friends of the family. Office of Refugee Resettlement case managers work with the children to identify and conduct background checks on the sponsors. If cleared, children are released to live with them while they go through the immigration court process.

“When I read they were opening again, I cried,” said Rosey Abuabara, a San Antonio community activist who was arrested for protesting outside the Carrizo camp in 2019. “I consoled myself with the fact that it was considered the Cadillac of [migrant child] centers, but I don’t have any hope that Biden is going to make it better.”

She said despite what she’s heard about the camp’s amenities, the immense cost and scale of the Office of Refugee Resettlement operations points to a government program that profits from holding migrant children, who are shepherded in unmarked vans to remote areas with what she describes as little oversight.

Brandmiller, the lawyer, said people should take note of how these emergency shelters are often located in far-flung locations away from public view.

“This is done deliberately to shelve these children in places that are not only not readily accessible, but not accessible at all to anyone who cares about the quality of life of these kids, and whether or not they comply with the federal law,” she said, referring to the Flores Settlement Agreement, which recommends children not stay in unlicensed facilities for longer than 20 days.

HHS said its goal is that children will remain at Carrizo for about 30 days, though they are coming from at least two weeks of quarantine at other Office of Refugee Resettlement facilities in the region. The average stay for children in custody across its facilities is 42 days. In the 2020 fiscal year, migrant children spent an average of 102 days in federal government custody, according to HHS.

So far, no children in HHS care have been hospitalized for covid-19, Weber said.

“If we could find another way, that’d be great,” Weber said. “On the flip side, these kids just come in and they’re turned loose on the street, they end up being homeless kids.”

But Brandmiller is worried this is the latest government tactic to deter immigrants from seeking refuge in the United States. She said the Biden administration should not be reviving old systems but looking for new solutions.

“If they were actually addressing the issues that are endemic in a system that has been established for many years and is flawed, if they were addressing the inadequacies instead of creating a parallel jail for kids, I would have more hope,” she said.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Thoguh posted:

i'll be perfectly honest, i don't even know what the omb is and i just want to see neera eat poo poo in front of the entire world

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Lansdowne posted:

kids in cages 🤗 a us department of health and human services temporary youth shelter for unaccompanied teenagers 🤗

p funny that biden's going to bat harder for the tanden confirmation than he did for ending the camps

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Free BRUENIGHAZI 2

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Stringent posted:

i'll be perfectly honest, i don't even know what the omb is and i just want to see neera eat poo poo in front of the entire world

it's the *~nonpartisan~* office that neera would be using to determine that, contrary to previous estimates, actually m4a will be way way too expensive and not save anyone any money whoops dunno how those last guys got a different result there huh weird

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Stringent posted:

i haven't completed my annual d&d authorized poster examination this year yet, but i believe the office of management and budget is the people that tell the president "yes we can afford this" or "no we can't afford this", and since the government can just print infinite money................

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i'm sorry i wasn't clear, i don't know and i don't care what the omb is, i just want to see neera eat poo poo in front of the entire world

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

Lansdowne posted:

:d2a:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/BradMossEsq/status/1364038366321336323

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/lachlan/status/1364032134667788289

this sounds somewhat inconvenient to do in the middle of a pandemic as opposed to just nominating a guy who hasnt been taking bribes

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

Stringent posted:

i'm sorry i wasn't clear, i don't know and i don't care what the omb is, i just want to see neera eat poo poo in front of the entire world

office of managing bruenighazi

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

mcmagic posted:

Trump did try to start a war with Iran and luckily the Iranian government didn't really respond in any real way that would have escalated it.

nobody is going to war with Iran we arent that dumb and McCain is dead and Bolton is widely viewed as a crank.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

how dare you talk about bolton that way have you already forgotten about the book deal where he heroically and selflessly called truth to power against trump with extremely not made up stories

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Some Guy TT posted:

how dare you talk about bolton that way have you already forgotten about the book deal where he heroically and selflessly called truth to power against trump with extremely not made up stories

I remember him drunkenly stumbling around bahrain shortly after that book before the Navy scooped him up

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Some Guy TT posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/lachlan/status/1364032134667788289

this sounds somewhat inconvenient to do in the middle of a pandemic as opposed to just nominating a guy who hasnt been taking bribes

This was also the guy with ties to Jeff Epstein

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/jordanuhl/status/1364082628094267392?s=21

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

potential?

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Lansdowne posted:

ma, it's a MIGRANT COMMUNITY, and it's more like a hotel in Cap d'Antibes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Well at least the kids won't be trafficked.