Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vince MechMahon posted:

They almost certainly track what every person watches, the first movie they watch after signing up, how long they retain those customers, the last thing they watch, etc.

They track where your cursor is at all times, like how many times you just look at a movie but don't watch it or how often you scroll past something without stopping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Saying they "almost certainly" track what you watch is like saying they "almost certainly keep your credit card info on file" or they "almost certainly have your login information stored." They track what you watch and literally provide it to you as your history.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Ah, but do they keep track of what I want to want to watch but never actually put on my watchlist or ever get around to seeing?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

Saying they "almost certainly" track what you watch is like saying they "almost certainly keep your credit card info on file" or they "almost certainly have your login information stored." They track what you watch and literally provide it to you as your history.

Ah yes. That's why that is the only thing I listed. Good job and a really great post here.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Ah, but do they keep track of what I want to want to watch but never actually put on my watchlist or ever get around to seeing?

I know you're joking, but that's actually a pretty key element to why it's so hard to quantify a "successful" movie for Netflix. Netflix doesn't make money on people watching movies like a regular theater chain, they make money on people either continuing their subscription or electing to subscribe (either as a new subscriber or renewing a subscription). So money doesn't come from how many people watch a movie so much as having content that makes subscription attractive to people.

So maybe you don't watch Army of the Dead, but it's the sort of movie you might want to watch, and thus, you don't want to cancel your Netflix subscription because, hey, you still haven't seen Army of the Dead yet, along with the other movies you've "meant" to get around to seeing and that guilt lets you throw good money after bad, even if you're not happy with Netflix. On that line, I feel Netflix and Disney (with foregrounding National Geographic in Disney+) have both looked at prestige documentaries in this category—you don't actually watch Virunga but you keep hearing rave reviews and you're a smart person so you ought to watch smart people stuff, so... you keep subscribing. On the flip side, maybe you have no interest in Zack Snyder whatsoever, but seeing that Netflix can drop a high budget action movie by an acclaimed blockbuster director tells you that maybe they'll drop something you really want to watch in the future, so you'll keep paying for a Netflix account you mostly use to rewatch Arrested Development.

Internally, I don't know how Netflix charts this beyond "algorithm," but I'm sure a part of their market research is asking people what makes Netflix an attractive expense, and the ability to have an impromptu movie night without having to leave the house and that you've already paid for is something that makes Netflix worthwhile for me.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Vince MechMahon posted:

Ah yes. That's why that is the only thing I listed. Good job and a really great post here.

Literally all the things you listed except "how long they keep the customers" are obviously tracked and part of the same dataset that you can access yourself. How long you stay as a customer is your billing history and is also obviously tracked. My point is it's silly to act like they're big brother, then list the most obvious surface level metrics, and then also qualify it as something they're probably doing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

Literally all the things you listed except "how long they keep the customers" are obviously tracked and part of the same dataset that you can access yourself. How long you stay as a customer is your billing history and is also obviously tracked. My point is it's silly to act like they're big brother, then list the most obvious surface level metrics, and then also qualify it as something they're probably doing.

There was an etc. there cause I didn't want to keep listing off increasingly granular metrics. And I'm not sure where I was acting like they are big brother, this is, as you yourself said, all pretty surface level stuff. But yeah this is a great direction for the thread. Keep it up.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
There's a rumor that amazon keeps track of the things you buy folks.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I love it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Netflix is guaranteed to not have what I want to watch but as soon as I purchase it they will have it the next week

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The answer is clear: You need to buy more films so I can get more out of my Netflix sub.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Wait a minute. What the gently caress is happening to Godzilla's face?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The Ftory of The Fecret Ftar Fystem.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Now you two boys stop fighting or I'll turn this aircraft carrier around :mad:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

nice ni/ceni ceni = nice ceni

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

69'ing and 666'ing

Hail Sex Satan

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

so is there a reason kong is now godzilla sized here? I swear even in Skull Island he was like, schoolbus big and not building-big

the most iconic thing this motherfucker does is climb the empire state building and now he can kick it over

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

He grew up. In Skull Island, he was just a teenager.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Calico Heart posted:

so is there a reason kong is now godzilla sized here? I swear even in Skull Island he was like, schoolbus big and not building-big

the most iconic thing this motherfucker does is climb the empire state building and now he can kick it over

Skull Island was like 40-50 years ago timeline wise and “he was still growing up”

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Calico Heart posted:

What others have said already, but teen-kong was already like 200 feet tall in Skull Island. He could've used a school bus as a buttplug.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

He'll just have to climb the Burj Khalifa now.

And when the next reboot comes around in a few decades he can climb one of the space elevators.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

feedmyleg posted:

Now you two boys stop fighting or I'll turn this aircraft carrier around :mad:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
which one of them is doogal

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Happy 20th anniversary to Monkeybone.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Rose McGowan looking kind of like Kat Dennings.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

flatluigi posted:

which one of them is doogal

Jimmy Fallon, and I wish this wasn’t information my brain was holding onto.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

marshmallow creep posted:

Rose McGowan looking kind of like Kat Dennings.

I though it was Madeline Kahn at first.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Jimmy Fallon, and I wish this wasn’t information my brain was holding onto.
Actually, the real answer is even funnier. None of them. None of them are Doogle. Its some guy named Daniel Tay.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0763304/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Tay

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Doogal movie was released only in the UK because that's where most people who knows what The Magic Roundabout is lives. But Harvey Weinstein decided for some reason to bring it to the States, Butch Hartman gets involved somehow, and they redubbed the movie to make it less British and more..... 2000s Dreamwork. This involves giving characters American accents and adding superfluous pop culture references. Here's video covering the story and localization changes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzeHbflF6lc
Also FYI the guy making this video is involved with a new Mortal Kombat animation for kids.

More posters.

Raya Lunar New Year poster (also if you speak Malay this poster is kind of a pun since "raya" is a generic word for holiday celebration)

New Pixar poster

This movie is not about an elephant, but a woman in love with a theme park attraction

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The MSJ posted:

This movie is not about an elephant, but a woman in love with a theme park attraction

“Noémie Merlant, you were in one of the most well-regarded French movies of the last decade and won the Lumières Award for Best Actress! What are you going to do now?!”

“I’m going to gently caress Disney World!”

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

A River City Ransom movie?!?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hell yes god bless them folks at shudder

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I think everything's gonna be okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

caligulamprey posted:

I think everything's gonna be okay.

Cool Cat looks like he's about to clock a motherfucker.