Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Yeah pretty much back to herd immunity plan again, as if they ever stopped.

The awful thing Is yeah there is going to be some level of acceptable covid deaths but this specific plan rushes it before the vaccination program is complete and bakes in a lot of unnecessary deaths for functionally very little gain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I feel the need to remind people that death isn't the only problem with covid. Plenty of non-vulnerable people get really nasty, long term problems

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Kin posted:

Has it basically come down to this country needing a 'popular character' asking these questions instead? Maybe if Michael McIntyre or Ant and Dec were grilling politicians we'd see some societal uproar.
If Jamie Oliver can get Boris to admit he doesn’t like chips we’ll have a new PM inside a week

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

TACD posted:

If Jamie Oliver can get Boris to admit he doesn’t like chips we’ll have a new PM inside a week

He seems more like a truffled mash and swan neck kinda guy

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

TheRat posted:

I feel the need to remind people that death isn't the only problem with covid. Plenty of non-vulnerable people get really nasty, long term problems

Right, but as a society we already accept a lot of things that cause death and nasty long-term problems as either necessary for society to function or just plain fun. Mechanically limiting all road vehicles to 5mph would basically end road deaths (1,800 or so a year) as well as serious injuries (30k), and also reduce all sorts of other deaths by making walking/cycling/public transport more attractive. Obviously it's not a direct comparison, because that would have to be an ongoing thing rather than a one-time intervention, but it's an example of something that is definitely in our power to do but which we choose not to because it's too big a disruption to our way of life, and instead we chip away at the edges by increasing safety standards, lowering speed limits, and redesigning roads and pavements. See also smoking, drinking, fatty foods, dangerous sports, the list goes on of stuff that we know can cause problems but which we allow to continue with greater or lesser restrictions.

If it comes to it, we could probably basically end flu deaths (up to 15k in a bad year) by forcing vaccination on the entire population, and a working *and enforced* track-and-trace system - something that isn't actually a change to our way of life at all and in fact something that would be a boon to the economy by reducing sick time, but which we choose not to do because it goes against the grain of how we see society working. Sad to say I suspect that covid will become something just baked into the system around the world over the next few years.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Pistol_Pete posted:

It's like that Times article I posted where the journalist raises the issue that it's kinda the point of the Opposition to want to throw the government out and replace them and Starmer always gives the impression that he doesn't particularly want to do that. I've talked before about his bureaucratic instincts - he treats the Tory government not as an enemy to be defeated but as a rather irritating department that his own department nonetheless has to work with as best as possible, for the greater good of the company. For all that we dislike Blair, if this crisis had happened in 1996, he'd have built a popular narrative of Tory incompetence, cronyism and failure and lashed the government mercilessly with it and he'd have been right to do so.

Holy poo poo this is perfect. Sensibly adjusting all the different levers until you unlock fully data-driven end-of-history space centrism, ignoring the fact that most of the levers are guarded by a hooting mop-headed gargoyle who flings skulls at you and fucks your wife if you come anywhere near

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Failed Imagineer posted:

He seems more like a truffled mash

But enough about his haircut

E: I can't think about the word 'haircut' any more without immediately thinking of Keir Starmer. Thanks thread

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Sad to say I suspect that covid will become something just baked into the system around the world over the next few years.
I hope we keep face masks on mass transit for a while

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/mags_mclaugh/status/1363832726693040130

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

I hope we keep face masks on mass transit for a while

That's gonna gently caress with the facial recognition CCTV so I give it 18 months on the outside before they ban face coverings outright.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I also hope we reject all the rhetoric behind that poo poo. It must become a bit harder for the government to say "but a terrorist attack might kill 50 people!" while they're shoveling the corpses of 50,000 unnecessary dead onto the pyre, as much as the press will try to make it work.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Necrothatcher posted:

same.

I really miss nightclubs and drunkenly dancing to daft punk (RIP) with my housemates with the living room lights off just isn't the same.

I miss going out it something about the enthusiasm for this date just fills me with dread. I can’t put my finger on why, i don’t think it’s going to be pushed back even it’s just...generalised dread.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
this country is unloveable

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is people being encouraged to forget about it, to learn nothing, to stop caring, to accept the deaths and if anyone complains to tell them they have a right to go to the pub so shut up. Dread is the appropriate response.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/sh44sti/status/1359159268562395143

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

https://twitter.com/wearetruthers/status/1351227022312435713?s=19

found this garbage and now i want you all to suffer too

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

massive spider posted:

I miss going out it something about the enthusiasm for this date just fills me with dread. I can’t put my finger on why, i don’t think it’s going to be pushed back even it’s just...generalised dread.

I think you mean "generalised druid"

https://twitter.com/bartlebooth45/status/1364166590477049856?s=19

gh0stpinballa posted:

Nah bro I'm sweet

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1363655648509108226?s=19

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
That guy always makes me think of Nicholas Lyndhurst.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Totally normal behaviour from the person behind labour against antisemitism

https://twitter.com/MichaelRosenYes/status/1364169221681405952?s=19

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1364170608523804673?s=19

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Pistol_Pete posted:

It's like that Times article I posted where the journalist raises the issue that it's kinda the point of the Opposition to want to throw the government out and replace them and Starmer always gives the impression that he doesn't particularly want to do that. I've talked before about his bureaucratic instincts - he treats the Tory government not as an enemy to be defeated but as a rather irritating department that his own department nonetheless has to work with as best as possible, for the greater good of the company. For all that we dislike Blair, if this crisis had happened in 1996, he'd have built a popular narrative of Tory incompetence, cronyism and failure and lashed the government mercilessly with it and he'd have been right to do so.

That article was defending kiers decision not to oppose and also defending the media's decision not to attack the government.

I also liked the bit where the journalist abrogated all responsibility for getting bojo elected

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

massive spider posted:

Same. I've really enjoyed a quieter pace of life, just enjoying being at home, catching up on crit role, not feeling like I should be going out and spending money and seeing other people.

There's also not having had the vaccine yet and knowing full well that by mid April, everywhere is going to be full of boomers wandering round maskless and yelling about how its over now while open mouth kissing each other to own the libs.

Pistol_Pete posted:

It's like that Times article I posted where the journalist raises the issue that it's kinda the point of the Opposition to want to throw the government out and replace them and Starmer always gives the impression that he doesn't particularly want to do that.
Others have made the observation that he just doesn't seem to realise that part of the role of opposition is to advocate for a viewpoint, not to put into action whatever your focus groups tell you will appeal to the largest number of people.

Even Corbyn's changes to the NEC to make it more democratic weren't about letting every idiot shout about whatever they wanted, they were about making it easier for people with more of a co-operative mindset to succeed within the party architecture.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Feb 23, 2021

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm looking forward to seeing my friends again, personally

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

That article was defending kiers decision not to oppose and also defending the media's decision not to attack the government.

I also liked the bit where the journalist abrogated all responsibility for getting bojo elected

The person who wrote it's dad resigned as an MP after being caught selling journalists access to his political contacts lol

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'm ready to be vaccinated by September but very sceptical that it will actually happen

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

multijoe posted:

Yeah alright, dinnae show off.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I've made new friends (bought lots of houseplants)

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I have a feeling that the Friday night after pubs reopen will have a higher death toll than covid. It will be like every payday weekend coming at once. The streets will run with blood and bile. It will be incredible.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

:thunk:

https://twitter.com/gerard_coyne/status/1363892220282220545?s=19

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

e: ^^^^ & did it come from the political fund, and also what is a political fund

Turns out that I'm a proper social butterfly since Covid, I already had a weekly RP session so we just moved onto Zoom+roll20 & carried on as normal but without needing a designated driver, all the non-nerds I know are well jealous

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ThomasPaine posted:

I have a feeling that the Friday night after pubs reopen will have a higher death toll than covid. It will be like every payday weekend coming at once. The streets will run with blood and bile. It will be incredible.

With all these people whose tolerance to alcohol has dropped greatly, if I worked in a Casualty department I'd be booking the weekend or two after pubs are due to reopen off.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

multijoe posted:

I'm looking forward to feeling 10× as guilty every time I blow off a social event.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

forkboy84 posted:

With all these people whose tolerance to alcohol has dropped greatly, if I worked in a Casualty department I'd be booking the weekend or two after pubs are due to reopen off.

Wait there are people who have drank less over lockdown???

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

forkboy84 posted:

all these people whose tolerance to alcohol has dropped greatly
weirdos, most of us could outdrink God at this point

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

I went nearly dry over lockdown, I realised pretty early on lockdown depression was going to be bad enough without adding literal depressants into the mix, definitely ended up being the right call

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ThomasPaine posted:

I’m drinking more frequently but at lower volumes: a small glass wine or a half or full beer most evenings. Haven’t been drunk for a year.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

forkboy84 posted:

All leave is cancelled (for cops and A&E staff).

CLP chat:

One of my former comrades who was suspended this week has now quit the party. She's been very proactive in party matters, held several officer posts, campaigned so hard for local and general elections, doing stalls and so on. A big loss to the party.

TACD posted:

I'm looking forward to feeling 10× as guilty every time I blow off a social event.

Christmas 2020 was such a huge relief to me, all the emotional blackmail I'm usually subjected to now I live near family about doing Xmas was off the agenda. I haven't done Xmas for at least 25 years now and they didn't care when I lived in London / Cairo but now, it's bombardment every year - wanting to stay on my own is "making it awkward for everyone else" (why? who knows! I tell them - pretend I still live 3000 miles away!)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Feb 23, 2021

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

ThomasPaine posted:

I was a pretty regular drinker pre lockdown and now I haven't had a drink in like 14 months.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

gh0stpinballa posted:

Yeah man wallow in the toxic poo poo. What's the worst that could happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

multijoe posted:

I went nearly dry over lockdown, I realised pretty early on lockdown depression was going to be bad enough without adding literal depressants into the mix, definitely ended up being the right call

it's a central nervous system depressant, not in the sense it will induce clinical depression. there are antidepressants which are depressants under that model.

with that said i also had to radically cut down my drinking after the first few months of lockdown - bottle of vodka a month is my limit now, and i don't think i'll be going back to more than that any time soon.