Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/JeremieHalimi/status/1363867586719588355?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/yourpalchauncey/status/1363931024909078529

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Jesus, just looked up from my zoom call and 'Biden conspired with Iran against Trump' is up on fox news. I hate that AFN is still allowed to have this on the news channel.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/AdamWeinstein/status/1364025726094163971?s=19

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Man I'm glad I don't have Hickock 45 on my YT subs anymore.

poo poo, I wanna ask most of guntube what they happened to be up to on Jan 6.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Wasabi the J posted:

It made me turn off the notifications for his videos, hope they stay the hell out of political poo poo going forward, otherwise I'm done. The bigger channels I follow seemed to have stayed the hell away from it, the only notable exception I can think of is Brandon Herrera was a bit of a poo poo as always.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 23, 2021

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/HenryJGomez/status/1364185179212963840

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Tucker Carlson is a huge bitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_nFI2Zb7qE

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah same. I used to recommend the guy because he was a pretty solid critic of getting the partisanship out of guns, would openly express disgust at seeing confederate flags at gun events etc and stepped away from supporting the NRA more recently.

Can't really square that circle anymore if you're paling around with Tucker tho.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
NY AG settled its fraud investigation into Bitfinex and their bullshit tethers. They're paying a slap on the wrist fine ($18.5m) and cannot do business with anyone inside NY state.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

That Works posted:

Yeah same. I used to recommend the guy because he was a pretty solid critic of getting the partisanship out of guns, would openly express disgust at seeing confederate flags at gun events etc and stepped away from supporting the NRA more recently.

Can't really square that circle anymore if you're paling around with Tucker tho.

I wonder if the reason he was stepping away from the nra was the same as MAC's reason: they were too willing to compromise.:jerkbag:

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
The federal minimum wage hike to $15 isn't going to happen. It would set production costs on a level playing field instead of allowing companies to essentially outsource production and services to LCOL (red) states.

The financial industry is already like half way to outsourcing everything to Omaha.

Edit- for jobs that can get away with paying the fed min.

Sacrist65 fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 23, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Sacrist65 posted:

The federal minimum wage hike to $15 isn't going to happen. It would set production costs on a level playing field instead of allowing companies to essentially outsource production and services to LCOL (red) states.

The financial industry is already like half way to outsourcing everything to Omaha.

Edit- for jobs that can get away with paying the fed min.

If they only get through with $11, that will be a massive boost for a fuckton of people across our nation. Is it enough? Not even loving close, but it is a start.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Stravag posted:

I wonder if the reason he was stepping away from the nra was the same as MAC's reason: they were too willing to compromise.:jerkbag:

Nah it wasn't that. I can't remember exactly the rationale rn but I recall at the time the short vid he made on it was decent. I would have been pretty angry about it then if it wasn't.

My only gripe with Hickok back then was "well he's still kind of fuddy about the NRA and shills for it but otherwise he hates the klan folks and doesn't talk politics on the show so he's a decent watch". Can't say that now.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

If they only get through with $11, that will be a massive boost for a fuckton of people across our nation. Is it enough? Not even loving close, but it is a start.
Not sure how valid this is, but my personal fear is "Raise the minimum wage. . . " itself is like 80% of the effort/political capitol and the ". . . to $X" is like 20%, so you've basically got one chance to change it in the next 10 years, and while $11 is a big raise for lots of people, it's still not gunna feed your family and the effort to raise it has been spent having not achieved the needed change of "everyone who works a full time job can at least rent a lovely apartment and eat rice and beans."

I'd love to be wrong, though.

BTW, I also think that 100% of the GOP and like 75% of the Dems would literally kill, dry, and burn the poor to fuel the machines that make them rich if they could get away with it, so my perspective may be a bit warped.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I know this dude is trying to take a dig here, but the brass deflector generally makes this not a huge issue. Tucker is still a dumb gently caress though.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

stealie72 posted:

BTW, I also think that 100% of the GOP and like 75% of the Dems would literally kill, dry, and burn the poor to fuel the machines that make them rich if they could get away with it, so my perspective may be a bit warped.

Which is why texans should have been looking up BTU values of their electric regulators and tossing them on fires last week.

An Alamo full of bitches.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Mr. Nice! posted:

Some, sure, but not as much as it would have in years past. the gig economy will probably capture some of this benefit and thanks to the illiterate voters of California, they have a proven template going nationwide.

Think Task Rabbit but for an evening McDonald shift billed to JimCorp, a Culinary Services LLC with 1 employee for a flat rate. McDonalds isnt violating fed min laws, JimCorp LLC is!

Will McDonalds do this to save $2 an hour? Probably not but some boat dealership in Alabama might if the margains get tight.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

stealie72 posted:

Not sure how valid this is, but my personal fear is "Raise the minimum wage. . . " itself is like 80% of the effort/political capitol and the ". . . to $X" is like 20%, so you've basically got one chance to change it in the next 10 years, and while $11 is a big raise for lots of people, it's still not gunna feed your family and the effort to raise it has been spent having not achieved the needed change of "everyone who works a full time job can at least rent a lovely apartment and eat rice and beans."

The SEC has required that public companies disclose executive compensation for a few years. We should peg the minimum wage to that - if public companies increase executive compensation 10% year over year, minimum wage goes up 10%.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

What the gently caress is it with chuds and tunnels

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The SEC has required that public companies disclose executive compensation for a few years. We should peg the minimum wage to that - if public companies increase executive compensation 10% year over year, minimum wage goes up 10%.

Ben and Jerrys did this, with the CEO capped at 5x the lowest paid employee. The founders wanted to create a more just world. They changed it to 15x when the founder retired so they could attract a "talented" CEO, who then sold the brand to a conglomerate whose CEO probably makes several hundred times more than the lowest paid employee.

Boomers.txt

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Sacrist65 posted:

Some, sure, but not as much as it would have in years past. the gig economy will probably capture some of this benefit and thanks to the illiterate voters of California, they have a proven template going nationwide.

Think Task Rabbit but for an evening McDonald shift billed to JimCorp, a Culinary Services LLC with 1 employee for a flat rate. McDonalds isnt violating fed min laws, JimCorp LLC is!

Will McDonalds do this to save $2 an hour? Probably not but some boat dealership in Alabama might if the margains get tight.

That wasn't CA voters being illiterate. A lot knew exactly what it meant

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

He wants to be the next Margaret Thatcher, who also wanted to make the Chunnel a primarily car tunnel.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Sacrist65 posted:

Ben and Jerrys did this, with the CEO capped at 5x the lowest paid employee. The founders wanted to create a more just world. They changed it to 15x when the founder retired so they could attract a "talented" CEO, who then sold the brand to a conglomerate whose CEO probably makes several hundred times more than the lowest paid employee.

Boomers.txt

Hahaha now owned by Unilever. Dunno what their CEO makes, his wikipedia page looks like it was written/scrubbed by their PR dept with minimal info, like the Walmart heir pages.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

maffew buildings posted:

That wasn't CA voters being illiterate. A lot knew exactly what it meant

Maybe short-sightedness is more accurate. My CPA friend said Uber's entire business model depends on its drivers not being able to quantify depreciation.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Hahaha now owned by Unilever. Dunno what their CEO makes, his wikipedia page looks like it was written/scrubbed by their PR dept with minimal info, like the Walmart heir pages.

I'll eat a shoe if they pay their line workers anywhere near the $1.1m/yr a 5x maximum would require. Or $360k/yr even if they go with 15x.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 23, 2021

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

Only if it has annual inflation increases. If not, it's garbage that's wasting political capital.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

I kept wondering why Beaufort's Dyke was so prominent on that map and finally looked it up. Turns out that was a fairly major surplus ammo disposal after WWII. And they dumped a few concrete barrels of nuclear waste on top for good measure. In case you were wondering, of course stuff has been washing up on Scotland, so digging around there is probably a GREAT idea!

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I'll eat a shoe if they pay their line workers anywhere near the $1.1m/yr a 5x maximum would require. Or $360k/yr even if they go with 15x.

So $4.5M total compensation puts them probably in the neighborhood of 450x. The crazy thing is back in the 60s, 5x CEO to lowest paid employee wasnt even that radical, 21x was the norm. But then the 80s came and i guess boards could justify $4.5M if the CEOs strategy made them $4.5M +$1 returns.
Unions used to be able to recoup some of that windfall in higher wages, but the plants can move faster than the labor force.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Sacrist65 posted:

So $4.5M total compensation puts them probably in the neighborhood of 450x. The crazy thing is back in the 60s, 5x CEO to lowest paid employee wasnt even that radical, 21x was the norm. But then the 80s came and i guess boards could justify $4.5M if the CEOs strategy made them $4.5M +$1 returns.
Unions used to be able to recoup some of that windfall in higher wages, but the plants can move faster than the labor force.

€4.5m, so $5.5m :eng101:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Stultus Maximus posted:

Only if it has annual inflation increases. If not, it's garbage that's wasting political capital.

This one's important. For decades now we've been having this fight and for decades it's been performing the exact role it is supposed to. Safely dissipate all the energy in the country that's pushing for change via hamster-wheel arguments to make things better right now because life has been made so lovely and miserable that something needs done, while ensuring that the big picture wealth extraction ratchet only goes in the correct direction.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Wasabi the J posted:

drat I kinda liked him in the very few vids I've seen of him. I guess being an old white gun fucker and a chud seems pretty typical in retrospect but I'd hoped otherwise. Oh well

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I would rather see $22/hr than $11/hr, but I'll be happy to see $11/hr now because that's still better than $7.25.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

bird food bathtub posted:

This one's important. For decades now we've been having this fight and for decades it's been performing the exact role it is supposed to. Safely dissipate all the energy in the country that's pushing for change via hamster-wheel arguments to make things better right now because life has been made so lovely and miserable that something needs done, while ensuring that the big picture wealth extraction ratchet only goes in the correct direction.

Of course, get what you can. I just think a UBI/negative income tax or anything that removes business as the middleman for social welfare is better. Call it the Freedom Eagle Patriot MAGA Dividend and give it to anyone who has a job. Adjust it with real inflation.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Stultus Maximus posted:

I think, though I am not certain, that Manchin's proposed amendment would keep the inflation adjustment and tipped wage elimination. But $15 is still a hell of a lot better than $11, and hopefully Manchin proposing the amendment and getting it voted down will be enough for him to throw up his arms, say "Welp, I tried," and vote for the $15 increase in the final bill.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
What guntubers are good and ok at keeping pol out?

Gun Jesus and Karl
TFB TV (?)
Kentucky Ballistics (Not sure about the good part but ok for booms)
Demo Ranch
?

Asking as someone who plinks some times with relatives. Don't own any guns but think stuff that goes boom and shoots bullets in interesting ways are eh.. interesting.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Forgotten Weapons is pretty much the only one I watch that's gun-specific. The Chieftain and Drachinifel are good tertiary-related channels though for military history and things that go boom (tanks and boats, respectively)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

CommieGIR posted:

He wants to be the next Margaret Thatcher, who also wanted to make the Chunnel a primarily car tunnel.

I'm including kushner in this and hell musky while we're at it

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

https://youtu.be/sTfbBvIEbfA?t=1843

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brains
May 12, 2004

apparently impressed by the 1776 commission, india set about creating a new curriculum with some...questionable facts in it:

The New York Times posted:

Do India’s Cows Have Special Powers? Government Curriculum Is Ridiculed

NEW DELHI — Indian students were hitting the books hard in preparation for a big test on cows, reading that India’s cows have more emotions than foreign ones, and that their humps have special powers.

But facing widespread ridicule, this weekend the government abruptly postponed the first exam based on a new curriculum, pushed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Hindu nationalist government.

Students at public universities and public schools had been asked to bone up on material that scientists and others dismissed as baseless, accusing the government of promoting religious pseudoscience about cows, which Hinduism considers sacred, to unwitting students.

Critics said the curriculum, devised by the National Cow Commission set up by Mr. Modi’s government, was an especially bold move by his ruling party to push its ideology and undercut the secularism that is enshrined in India’s Constitution but seems to be increasingly imperiled with each passing day.

“This is very weird, this exam,” said Komal Srivastava, an official for the India Knowledge and Science Society, a nonprofit educational group. “They can say anything about cows: that radiation is reduced by its dung, which is unscientific. If we want to teach kids about cows, it has to be scientific knowledge and not mythology.”
In 2019, Mr. Modi’s government established the National Cow Commission with the express purpose of protecting cows. Its website lists, among other objectives, “proper implementation of laws with respect to prohibition of slaughter and/or cruelty to cows.” Many Indian states, but not all, ban the slaughter of cattle.

The study material in the new course was designed by the cow commission, which falls under the Ministry of Animal Husbandry and Dairying, and was widely circulated online in several languages, including English. The first online exam was supposed to be Thursday.
The Indian cow, or zebu, does differ from the cow breeds familiar to the West. The zebu, easily recognized by its big shoulder hump and pronounced dewlap, is more tolerant of heat and drought, and more resistant to some diseases, though it produces less milk.

The material that students were asked to absorb for the exam, however, made baseless claims, like one that inside the hump of the Indian cow “there is a solar pulse which is known to absorb vitamin D from the sun’s rays and release it in its milk.” Hump-less “Jersey” cows, the material said, don’t have such powers.

Another part of the curriculum said that indigenous cows were “emotional toward humans and other living beings,” but that in foreign cows, “none of these feelings were exhibited.” Indian cows are “alert” and “strong,” the material said, but foreign cows are “lazy.”
Nivedita Menon, a professor of political theory at one of India’s premier educational institutions, Jawaharlal Nehru University, said the government was trying to “completely undo research and critical thinking.”
those drat lazy foreigner cows!