Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

ThomasPaine posted:

I am not criticising, I am just admiring your self-discipline. Honestly, the boredom is crippling in a way I had never expected so me and my partner have been just sitting watching trash and getting blackout drunk a couple times a week. We used to do that occasionally but saved the really heavy drinking for when we went on nights out with friends. And this is an improvement. We had to consciously decide to cut back after the realisation that we'd mananged to get through 15 bottles between us in less than a week over christmas/new year. Lockdown has normalised some pretty unhealthy behaviours that I think will take some time to unlearn!

Same. Well, not quite that much, but if I don't get pretty (not blackout, but really sloppy) drunk once a week I start to fray at the edges really, really badly

Occasionally twice if I'm feeling particularly fed up and nihilistic, but luckily that's not too often

I'm lucky that my partner is totally teetotal because if I had someone to actually drink with I'd be in a similar situation to you

Pistol_Pete posted:

Red wine gives me really filthy hangovers, so I usually avoid it.

Also same. Man I love red wine so much, but I just can't do it anymore. It's like having a normal hangover but with actual all-over body pain, like my nerves go a bit nuts.

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Yeah, Christmas/NY was a car crash. Now that it's getting warmer and lighter again we're getting better at going for long walks and stuff instead of sitting about boozing every other day.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah, Christmas/NY was a car crash. Now that it's getting warmer and lighter again we're getting better at going for long walks and stuff instead of sitting about boozing every other day.

I think that's true for a lot of people even in the non-plague times, though, y'know? It's a period where rules kinda go out the window for a bit. I wouldn't beat yourself up about it too much (beyond just being aware of it, which you are).

I'm looking forward to the warmer weather but think I'll actually wind up drinking a bit more lol

Last year I enjoyed many long days in a meadow nearby lying in the sun, sinking tinnies and listening to the radio

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm still uncertain whether this is incompetence or if things are going exactly as intended

Imo it's pretty clear the main goal of the kier project is to purge the left from Labour and protect the government to stabilise the neoliberal consensus during plague and brexit

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's much funnier if Kieth is trying to cargo cult blairism and honestly thought this would work, so that is what I choose to believe

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Necrothatcher posted:

same.

I really miss nightclubs and drunkenly dancing to daft punk (RIP) with my housemates with the living room lights off just isn't the same.

Now if there was ever anything I wish the zoomers will kill permanently, it's nightclubs.

Close 'em all down, don't let any reopen. The next pandemic is a once in a century event coming to us probably later this decade. Or before this one ends.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I haven't been drunk in a year, but I now get really antsy if I try and sit through an evening without a couple of 330ml beers or G&Ts. Binge drinking has stopped completely but my overall intake and dependence is way up. Really need to wean myself off it a bit.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

feedmegin posted:

It didn't HAVE to have water added, it wasn't some kind of ancient superwine or anything, but yeah the Greeks thought drinking it neat was uncouth and let's not even talk about that barbarian 'beer' nonsense...
I have a classics itch at the back of my mind telling me that greek wine, especially the wine mentioned in the Odyssey, was extremely thick and potent in the skins and would have had to have been watered down to be palatable. IIRC they make a big deal of the cyclops drinking it from the skins unwatered and their reaction is less "ugh, how uncouth" and more "sweet merciful crom this guy is hardcore."

Barry Foster posted:

Also same. Man I love red wine so much, but I just can't do it anymore. It's like having a normal hangover but with actual all-over body pain, like my nerves go a bit nuts.
My 40 year old constitution is so terrible I have to take a run up at red wine now. Ideally pasta mid day, make sure I drink at least a large glass of water before and after, and consume with food.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Can strongly recommend going for a 20k run, then drinking exactly one beer and feeling completely hosed within minutes. Haven't done it in a good while but it's powerful

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

ThomasPaine posted:

I am not criticising, I am just admiring your self-discipline. Honestly, the boredom is crippling in a way I had never expected so me and my partner have been just sitting watching trash and getting blackout drunk a couple times a week. We used to do that occasionally but saved the really heavy drinking for when we went on nights out with friends. And this is an improvement. We had to consciously decide to cut back after the realisation that we'd mananged to get through 15 bottles between us in less than a week over christmas/new year. Lockdown has normalised some pretty unhealthy behaviours that I think will take some time to unlearn!

Now try ten years.

Haven't had a drink since last February, either. Not because I made a choice to stop, but because 2020 was so much better than 2019, hah.

Boredom? See username.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

https://twitter.com/FreeNorthNow/status/1364229790673338371

:eyepop:

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

https://twitter.com/BBCBweaking/status/1364232536159887360

Get ready!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

My 40 year old constitution is so terrible
:france:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
In Kieth's bunker, they're reading a history of the Blair years and they've just got to the bit where Blair rigs the London Mayoral candidate election to exclude Ken Livingstone. "Right, so we get rid of the lefty, that's how we impose our stamp on the party and win the hearts and minds of the people". They're not going to be happy when they eventually turn the page to find out how that worked out.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Look forward to Liverpool Mayor Boris Johnson in 2030.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm still uncertain whether this is incompetence or if things are going exactly as intended

The Labour Right are masters of picking unnecessary and counter-productive fights with the left, so I can believe that it's both going as they intended and won't ultimately help them in the slightest.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Look forward to Liverpool Mayor Boris Johnson in 2030.

I just realised the candidate they rigged it for, who limped in third behind Ken and Shagger, only just beating the Lib Dem, was Frank Dobson, MP for Holborn and St. Pancras. Is that seat haunted or something? I know there's plague pits around Kings Cross, I wonder if they somehow disturbed some ancient centrist curse.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Like the ghost of some ancient constitutional monarchist or something? Struggling to think what medieval people would even be centrist about.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I just realised the candidate they rigged it for, who limped in third behind Ken and Shagger, only just beating the Lib Dem, was Frank Dobson, MP for Holborn and St. Pancras. Is that seat haunted or something? I know there's plague pits around Kings Cross, I wonder if they somehow disturbed some ancient centrist curse.

St Giles used to be a gallows site......
Also, there's all those disturbed mummies in the British Museum

:iiam: :catstare: :staredog: :iiam:

(playing with smilies as I'm supposed to be working).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Communist Thoughts posted:

Imo it's pretty clear the main goal of the kier project is to purge the left from Labour and protect the government to stabilise the neoliberal consensus during plague and brexit

https://twitter.com/Alec_Eiffel85/status/1364241828183232512?s=09

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If we could do like they did to akhenaten that'd be grand by me.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Josef bugman posted:

It's just so stupid. What powers does a loving mayor have in this country? And yet the people in charge have to stamp down on leftie dissent so hard it causes them to keep slipping on dog turds.

Well sometimes Andy Burnham doesn't 100% lick Kieth boot, so any candidate with the backing of Corbyn and the unions must be stopped. Any other candidates are just chaff that gets in the way.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Sweet, got my appointment on Monday to get vacc'd. Turns out I got moved up the list cuz I'm my mother's carer.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Like the ghost of some ancient constitutional monarchist or something? Struggling to think what medieval people would even be centrist about.
Fairfax was an early modern centrist, because he only wanted to arrest the king and not execute him.

Cromwell was also a centrist, because he only wanted to execute the king and not all of his heirs.

Centrists, all of them.

e: The CofE is also the most centrist thing imaginable. Split from the Catholic church for reasons claiming to be Reformation but also keep doing everything the same with the hats and corruption and biscuits and stuff.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Eurgh these fucks are still going...

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

crazyvanman posted:

Actually God abhors alcohol. How do I know this? Because a Christian kid at school told me. How did he respond to my 'what about water into wine'? That is actually a misnomer, apparently, because Jesus actually turned the water into 'fermented grape juice'. How did he respond to my 'that is wine'? Well, you see, his church explained that Jesus actually turned the water into a special non-alcoholic fermented grape juice that was popular at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjKRaeIzoCs&t=31s

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Sweet, got my appointment on Monday to get vacc'd. Turns out I got moved up the list cuz I'm my mother's carer.

congratulations!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Junior G-man posted:

Well sometimes Andy Burnham doesn't 100% lick Kieth boot, so any candidate with the backing of Corbyn and the unions must be stopped. Any other candidates are just chaff that gets in the way.

I can't see how the current candidates are going to like that.

It's just so drat foolish. If they'd tried to make inroads into even some area of the soft left they might have done better, but instead it's just "we need to be Blair!" and nothing else. Just rank foolishness driven by a fear of newspapers and the over 60's.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Congratulations!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I have a classics itch at the back of my mind telling me that greek wine, especially the wine mentioned in the Odyssey, was extremely thick and potent in the skins and would have had to have been watered down to be palatable. IIRC they make a big deal of the cyclops drinking it from the skins unwatered and their reaction is less "ugh, how uncouth" and more "sweet merciful crom this guy is hardcore."

Having done home brewing myself - you can only get so far, even with specially cultured yeast, without inventing distilling. Yeast just can't live above a certain ABV. You're not going to get above about what the strongest red wine is today (14% maybe?) because biology and given that they did not in fact have the specially cultured yeast you're probably not even going to get that far. They might have thought it super strong, but turns out the ancients were lightweights :smuggo:

Edit: that said I think 5% was lowballing it. They were smart enough to know about different strains of yeast and to have some idea of 'this one makes better wine than the other one', same as with sourdough starters, so I can absolutely see them getting up to like the 10% range at least rather than just letting fruit get mouldy in the sun and see what happens.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 23, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think it's just fear I think that is just absolutely what they want, to create an environment in the most immediate term that is favorable to them, and if they lose and destroy the party, who cares? It is only a grift, only a stepping stone on path to validating their own eternal rightness.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I have to take my daughter to a hospital appointment at Evelina in London tomorrow, so for the first time in my life I'm driving into central London. I thought that, with a toddler and a global pandemic, maybe that would be preferable to going in on public transport, but now I feel like I might be being stupid. The parking costs £20, the congestion charge is £15, and according to Google it's gonna take me like over 2 hours to get there. I could have got the train for £12 return, and it would have only taken ~ 1 hour.

Thread, am I a twat? (for the purposes of this post and this post only!!!!)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Perfect Element posted:

I have to take my daughter to a hospital appointment at Evelina in London tomorrow, so for the first time in my life I'm driving into central London. I thought that, with a toddler and a global pandemic, maybe that would be preferable to going in on public transport, but now I feel like I might be being stupid. The parking costs £20, the congestion charge is £15, and according to Google it's gonna take me like over 2 hours to get there. I could have got the train for £12 return, and it would have only taken ~ 1 hour.

Nah that seems extremely reasonable in the circumstances.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Hey you're not paying the ULEZ charge so that's cheap.

If it helps, if you're not travelling at peak rush hour then trains into London are absolutely deserted. It's easier to social distance on the train than off it. I think I was literally the only passenger on a 12 coach Thameslink last Saturday.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I mean, you definitely took the expensive option, but probably also the less COVID-y option?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Y'all want to feel old?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

feedmegin posted:

They might have thought it super strong, but turns out the ancients were lightweights :smuggo:
I think they probably just discovered the power of being a bit drunk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTSCppeFzX4

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Normally I’d say anyone willingly driving into central London is insane but given the circumstances we are in it’s rather sensible.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Starmer: 'Forensic'

Starmei: Analytical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

I'm getting my vaccine on Thursday!

All of ten minutes after my mother. We're definitely both in the more-vulnerable cohorts, but I'd have thought Cornwall wasn't quite so sparsely populated as that.