Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

life is killing me posted:

Does anyone. Have any ideas. On how to get my almost three year old. To stay in loving bed.

Revert to a crib and build higher walls, rub them with Vaseline so he can’t climb out.

Sorry man-no ideas. I’m always thankful my kid hasn’t tried to climb out of his crib yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

nwin posted:

Revert to a crib and build higher walls, rub them with Vaseline so he can’t climb out.

Sorry man-no ideas. I’m always thankful my kid hasn’t tried to climb out of his crib yet.

Sleeping through the night and/or going back to sleep when waking up in the night has now become the exception and not the rule

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Wordlessly put him back in bed as many times as it takes.

Edit: if it's a new phenomenon, might be bad dreams.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Prize for how long they stay in bed?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

This has been going on for months.

Things tried:
-wordlessly putting back in bed (he will just climb right back out and won’t let us leave unless he’s asleep)
-incentives such as stickers (three stickers gets him a prize and it’s getting less and less effective)
-ok to wake light (I’ve observed him waking up, looking at the light, weighing his options, then getting out anyway. He knows what color means what, we go over it with him every night before bed. Sometimes he even silently gets out in the middle of the night and just waltzes into our room).

This isn’t about him crawling out at bedtime (anymore). This is about him routinely waking us up between one and three times a night by getting out of bed and coming into our room. Then one of us must get up and take him back to his room. Many times it doesn’t seem as though he’s scared or had a bad dream, it just feels like he wants to sleep in our bed with us

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

does he still nap?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

killer crane posted:

does he still nap?

About an hour a day or less now. He’s not yet three and WILL nap that hour, so we decided not to do away with his nap but it feels like he’s weaning himself off naps slowly. He did the same thing with my wife’s boobs, then her milk, then his paci. Why not his naps next. I don’t know how early is too early. He just rarely goes past that hour no matter how tired he is, and same for the night wake ups—it will still happen even if all the other planets aligned and if not it’s a fluke

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Our 20 month is still co-sleeping and we've given up on everything. Sorry I can't be of more help.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

About an hour a day or less now. He’s not yet three and WILL nap that hour, so we decided not to do away with his nap but it feels like he’s weaning himself off naps slowly. He did the same thing with my wife’s boobs, then her milk, then his paci. Why not his naps next. I don’t know how early is too early. He just rarely goes past that hour no matter how tired he is, and same for the night wake ups—it will still happen even if all the other planets aligned and if not it’s a fluke

when our oldest was starting to ween off her naps she'd get up in the middle of the night on the days she took her nap. we started putting her to bed later on those days, and it helped.

we got a sounds machine for our twins when they started to wake up in the middle of the night and wake the other up with their babbling. homedic make a really loud one that works well. if your kiddo is a light sleeper maybe he's hearing something that wakes him, or scares him.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Thanks for the car seat advice everyone-turns out my seat has these leg extenders that push the seat back a bit anyways so he can stay rear-facing in both cars for a while yet.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

This isn’t about him crawling out at bedtime (anymore). This is about him routinely waking us up between one and three times a night by getting out of bed and coming into our room. Then one of us must get up and take him back to his room. Many times it doesn’t seem as though he’s scared or had a bad dream, it just feels like he wants to sleep in our bed with us

Our first kid was a lovely toddler sleeper. We eventually just put a toddler cot in our room and told him he is free to come sleep on it if he wants but please don't wake us up unless you are sick / emergency.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wife/baby currently have a thing going where baby sleeps in crib in other room, but when the sun comes up the baby wakes up and wife brings the kid in our room, typically around 8am, then they nap out in there until 10 or so and then start their day

I'm supposed to take over on paternity leave soon, my guess is that the good sleeping pattern is going to go to poo poo when the handoff happens

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Alterian posted:

Our first kid was a lovely toddler sleeper. We eventually just put a toddler cot in our room and told him he is free to come sleep on it if he wants but please don't wake us up unless you are sick / emergency.

Yeah I don’t think my toddler gives a gently caress. Listening is a real problem...

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Yeah I don’t think my toddler gives a gently caress. Listening is a real problem...

How are you doing? Have you managed to see someone and get meds sorted? It sounds like you’re having a tough time outside of toddlers being toddlers. Is your power back?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

femcastra posted:

How are you doing? Have you managed to see someone and get meds sorted? It sounds like you’re having a tough time outside of toddlers being toddlers. Is your power back?

Power back, was out pretty much the entire vortex. House was all okay. Same struggles with toddler but he did get disrupted shortly after getting used to his okay to wake light, when we went to my BIL’s. Then we came back home and he’s slept all night one of four nights we’ve been back home and ignored his light. Probably a bigger deal to him than it is to me, but it’s been tough.

I got some meds but it’s a baby steps thing. Wellbutrin is pretty mild and so is buspirone so we will see. Been a couple weeks, not sure if it’s gonna kick in soon or at all.

Thank you for asking!

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

priznat posted:

Oh nice I was thinking about getting that for switch, how is it? Does the xbox use the kinect?

Nah, I think Kinects have been obsolete for a while now. The controller is via a phone app, then you dance holding the phone and it records the movements. I just have it installed on an older phone with a previously cracked screen I don't use anymore, and I got a cheap neoprene sports case off Amazon that this phone lives in. Then I just strap it to my kid's wrist and off she goes. There's still a slim chance that she might launch it into the tv or the wall or something but so far so good :dance:

ETA, there is a kid's setting on Just Dance that has all the easier to dance to songs on it, but lil bee is 7 and she finds it a bit too easy. She likes the world dance floor option where she gets to hear the songs she hears on the radio, and gets to see all the country flags for the players she's competing against :3:

bee fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 23, 2021

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

bee posted:

Nah, I think Kinects have been obsolete for a while now. The controller is via a phone app, then you dance holding the phone and it records the movements. I just have it installed on an older phone with a previously cracked screen I don't use anymore, and I got a cheap neoprene sports case off Amazon that this phone lives in. Then I just strap it to my kid's wrist and off she goes. There's still a slim chance that she might launch it into the tv or the wall or something but so far so good :dance:

ETA, there is a kid's setting on Just Dance that has all the easier to dance to songs on it, but lil bee is 7 and she finds it a bit too easy. She likes the world dance floor option where she gets to hear the songs she hears on the radio, and gets to see all the country flags for the players she's competing against :3:

Oh that's fun! Yeah don't think there is a kinect on the new ones but for a while the OG xbox ones came with them, haven't had an xbox since the 360 early days.

I think the switch one uses the motion controllers kinda like the wiimote. I should try her on the demo, I think you get a song as a freebie.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
How do I protect my baby from COVID while running errands? Right now the kid stays home all the time since my husband and I are both on leave, but husband is going back to work next week. Last time I was at the grocery store I saw several people with babies out and about, but it seems risky :/

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

remigious posted:

How do I protect my baby from COVID while running errands? Right now the kid stays home all the time since my husband and I are both on leave, but husband is going back to work next week. Last time I was at the grocery store I saw several people with babies out and about, but it seems risky :/

Can you do Instacart or another grocery delivery service? Alternatively some places like Walmart and Target also do curbside pickup for groceries, the wife and I have done this several times during the pandemic.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Mind_Taker posted:

Can you do Instacart or another grocery delivery service? Alternatively some places like Walmart and Target also do curbside pickup for groceries, the wife and I have done this several times during the pandemic.

Wow, I must be really tired. Curbside pickup is a great idea that I somehow completely forgot about!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

remigious posted:

When we take baby to the doctor we put a cover over the pumpkin seat. Not ideal but the best we can do. Other errands are all done curbside or delivery.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

remigious posted:

Curbside pickup is all I can think of.

E;FB

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I managed to sneak some shampoo into my toddler's scalp last night while she was in the bath and mostly rinse it out. Today her hair is the nicest has been in...I can't say how long, mostly out of parenting shame. I'm just happy to see it clean.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

remigious posted:

Your baby is at near zero risk from COVID. Probably as much or less risk than a flu season.

eg
- https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html (266 deaths of 0-4 year olds from the 2018-2019 seasonal flu)
- https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm - 68 deaths of 0-4 year olds from COVID.

If you insist on additional protection, there are some infant face shields out there.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That's not exactly how I would word that

Babies can get covid, they have human lungs and mucus membranes. The fatality rate for babies is really really low. It's pretty likely that if/when they get covid it'll be a mild case, like anything else - cold, flu etc

If you can keep spray from other people's cough/sneezes from landing directly on the baby's face with a clear plastic shield, or even a basic mesh sun shade, that's not going to be as good as a mask, but way better than nothing at all

You need somewhere between 200-900 virus particles to enter your lungs to get any kind of infection that isn't immediately dispatched. If someone sneezes behind you in line at the grocery store, at least a sun shade is going to block a lot of those fresh particles from landing on baby. It won't block what's floating around in the air but at least you can control some larger droplet transmission that way

That said I'm not an epidemiologist, I just play one on the internet, consider this advice for novelty use only

Our baby hasn't been inside a grocery store ever

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
I had a meltdown this morning. My girl just turned a year a few weeks ago and my wife and I are both working from home. Kiddo has never been a very good napper, but she's always been a pretty good nightime sleeper - down at 7, usually up at 4 for a feed, then down until 6:30 or so... Some kind of regression happening right now though. Naps are down to 35 minutes, like clockwork. She's waking up for her nighttime feed and then getting back up at like 5, before I've even fallen back asleep. I'm losing it. Getting nothing done at work, awake at 4 almost every day for weeks. Someone reassure me that I will survive this.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

truavatar posted:

I had a meltdown this morning. My girl just turned a year a few weeks ago and my wife and I are both working from home. Kiddo has never been a very good napper, but she's always been a pretty good nightime sleeper - down at 7, usually up at 4 for a feed, then down until 6:30 or so... Some kind of regression happening right now though. Naps are down to 35 minutes, like clockwork. She's waking up for her nighttime feed and then getting back up at like 5, before I've even fallen back asleep. I'm losing it. Getting nothing done at work, awake at 4 almost every day for weeks. Someone reassure me that I will survive this.

I can’t speak to the naps but we stopped the night feeds at around 7-8 months and let our daughter cry however long she needed to before she put herself back to sleep. Sometimes it took an hour but she eventually figured it out. I never took her out of bed until the proper awake time, somewhere around 6-7am.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I still havent found any data or reputable studies at all about long-term effects of covid on babies so just because theyre not dying in droves from the virus doesnt necessarily mean they're not going to have any issues caused by it.

We are doing everything possible given the circumstances to avoid our son getting infected because there's more unknowns about it than we are comfortable with.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Also even if the effects on the baby are minimal, if they get infected YOU might get infected from them and that would be nice to avoid.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

gvibes posted:

Your baby is at near zero risk from COVID. Probably as much or less risk than a flu season.

eg
- https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html (266 deaths of 0-4 year olds from the 2018-2019 seasonal flu)
- https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm - 68 deaths of 0-4 year olds from COVID.

If you insist on additional protection, there are some infant face shields out there.

I don’t even know why I’m talking about this, but it seems this data would be flawed.

Like, last year during flu season, my infant was at the YMCA child care every single weekday and if he got the flu-it sucks, but it is what it is.

Then COVID hit, the child care was shut down, and he’s been indoors most of the time.

I guess what I’m staying is most kids have been way more sheltered so lower numbers are kinda expected right?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
From the districts that opened up widely in the fall, there was definitely lower incidence of COVID among younger age groups. Elementary kids had the lowest of all age groups.

That said, while it’s lower, it’s not zero and COVID in kids can develop into a syndrome of sorts.

And that’s to say nothing of the risk it puts teachers and care givers.

You gotta find your where your risk tolerance balances with your child’s educations/social development needs (and/or your own employment needs).

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

truavatar posted:

You’ll survive it. Currently having sleep issues with my almost 3 year-old who had a 4mo sleep regression with a vengeance. We got through it and will get through the current sleep issues. It sucks because it’s hard to see a light at the end of the tunnel there especially when you’re so sleep-deprived. But at a year old, your kid may not need a nighttime feeding? We were happy to go to solids when ours was an infant because we thought it helped with his wake ups having a full belly and not getting hungry in the night. You could also try a dream feed by waking the kiddo up before going to bed yourself, feeding, putting back down (the idea is that they are kind of half-awake during the feeding and maybe not as hard to put down) and going to bed. Could buy you an hour or two?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
We're still learning about long-term side effects of covid-19 in children (and adults) so it's prudent to avoid unnecessary exposure. Nobody has studied the prevalence of lung or brain damage in infected infants that I'm aware of.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
Is she down to one nap a day? When we moved from 2-1 it helped nighttime sleep as well.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

So loving tired of feeling like a monster when I have to constantly restrain my three year old from playing with other kids at the playground. She wants to go make friends so badly and I'm sure I'm loving her up socially.
I goddamn hate this pandemic and I hate every goddamn conservative that ever wasted oxygen on this planet for making this our reality.

Organic Lube User fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 24, 2021

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Re: errands and kids. Before covid, I took my then-infant everywhere with me and it was great. I always thought parents doing errands with their toddlers looked miserable, I never thought it would be a luxury to be able to take kids wherever, whenever.

My kid hasn’t been in a store in over a year. Early February last year was the last errands she ran with me. It is a total pain in the rear end, but I run all my errands in the very little free time I have. Every couple of months I will put my kid in daycare just to have a day completely devoted to deep cleaning the house and stocking up on stuff. I can’t wait until I can spontaneously decide to go somewhere and be able to bring my kids. All of us parents who take covid seriously have been suffocating for a year now, and it still feels like we will never get another chance to breathe.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Covid year has been a pretty good time to live rurally.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We've been building up the backyard for the kids to have more to do over the past year. I kept having to tell the neighbor kid that my kid can't come out to play with him, no, covid isn't over, sorry. His mom caught covid at the January 6th insurrection though so maybe their kids have had it by now too. I still think post covid my kid is not going to play with theirs for other reasons now.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Alterian posted:

We've been building up the backyard for the kids to have more to do over the past year. I kept having to tell the neighbor kid that my kid can't come out to play with him, no, covid isn't over, sorry. His mom caught covid at the January 6th insurrection though so maybe their kids have had it by now too. I still think post covid my kid is not going to play with theirs for other reasons now.

Nah, have their kids over a lot and teach them marxist theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Thwomp posted:

From the districts that opened up widely in the fall, there was definitely lower incidence of COVID among younger age groups. Elementary kids had the lowest of all age groups.

That said, while it’s lower, it’s not zero and COVID in kids can develop into a syndrome of sorts.

And that’s to say nothing of the risk it puts teachers and care givers.

You gotta find your where your risk tolerance balances with your child’s educations/social development needs (and/or your own employment needs).

There was a lower incidence of symptomatic covid but we already know from data over last summer that kids have a higher likelihood of infection being asymptomatic even though the statistical likelihood of infection is about equal to adults.

Then there's also the matter of the areas that opened 'er up not prioritizing testing so who even knows how accurate any of their data is. My town's school committee was bullied into in-person learning with the idea of group testing being a complete afterthought that was floated but never materialized and I'm sure the exact same scenario happened almost everywhere.

So I guess what I'm saying is that risk tolerance is one thing when you have decent information, but we have very little reliable info to work with because the approach varies so much from location to location and no framework with which to accurately determine risk. Everything is a crap shoot at this point and I daily curse the monsters in this country that couldn't just do what had to be done for the greater good.