Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
heres a position after 8 moves in another blitz game where i played black and won.

code:
rn1q1rk1/p1pbppbp/1p3np1/3PN3/3P4/1Q2P3/PP3PPP/RNB1KB1R b KQ - 0 1
i have just blundered my d pawn by allowing 8. cxd5, as i am wont to do in the queens gambit. normally, when i gently caress up this badly and this early, i just mash resign and try to quickly forget the unpleasant experience lmao. but i thought it would be fun to practice coming up with a plan under duress!

after like 50 seconds of looking at this, i decided i would try to get my rook on a5 and try to take back the pawn that way. I was gonna do that by way of a5, a4, Ra5. the computer was dubious about this plan, but white blundered 11. Nb5? apparently forgetting about my bishop on d7 lmao!

so it worked out, i guess. but what would you have done? i dont like any of the computer's ideas, except for 8... a5, apparently!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
hey, its me again! blundering away the black pieces, like usual. what are YOU doing?

code:
3r2k1/1p4p1/p4p2/2bq4/P4pQ1/8/1P3PPP/3R1RK1 b - - 0 1
true to form, i hosed up the game early and often. and again i had to wrest my hand away from the resign button.

and i'm glad i stayed in it, because white hung mate after I played 23... Bxf2+? by playing 24. Kxf2?? Qc5+ 25. Kf3 Qe3#

i assumed Bxf2 was unsound, but i played it anyway. it's no good, because white has 24. Kh1, and suddenly all of black's pieces are hanging! But humans like to capture pieces, and they don't like to make boring king moves. And capturing with either the king or the rook is a big mistake, this time!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Helianthus Annuus posted:

hey, its me again! blundering away the black pieces, like usual. what are YOU doing?

code:
3r2k1/1p4p1/p4p2/2bq4/P4pQ1/8/1P3PPP/3R1RK1 b - - 0 1
true to form, i hosed up the game early and often. and again i had to wrest my hand away from the resign button.

and i'm glad i stayed in it, because white hung mate after I played 23... Bxf2+? by playing 24. Kxf2?? Qc5+ 25. Kf3 Qe3#

i assumed Bxf2 was unsound, but i played it anyway. it's no good, because white has 24. Kh1, and suddenly all of black's pieces are hanging! But humans like to capture pieces, and they don't like to make boring king moves. And capturing with either the king or the rook is a big mistake, this time!

Or he could capture your bishop with the rook, giving back the exchange but going into an ending with equal material.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Helianthus Annuus posted:

Playing correspondence with my dad and trying to balance between fair game and an insulting handicap.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

PerniciousKnid posted:

Playing correspondence with my dad and trying to balance between fair game and an insulting handicap.

I used the Bongcloud opening against a friend who was too inexperienced to recognize that that's real insulting. I won.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Zwabu posted:

Or he could capture your bishop with the rook, giving back the exchange but going into an ending with equal material.

if that happens, i actually go into the endgame with an extra pawn, which is big step in the wrong direction for white, since black is going into this position down the exchange!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Chamale posted:

I used the Bongcloud opening against a friend who was too inexperienced to recognize that that's real insulting. I won.

That's an idea, but I don't want to train him wrong as a joke.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Tactics training paying off. Black to play and win.

First move
19...Nxb3!!

Game continued with what is probably the most trying line
20.Rxc3 Nxd2
21.Nxd2 bxc3!
22.Bxd5 Rxb1+
23.Nxb1 c2 -+

Alternate lines
(a)
20.Rxb3 Qxb3 is just an exchange

(b)
20.Qxc3 Nxc3
21. Rxb3 Nxe2+ forks the rook on c1

(c)
22. Rxb7 cxd2
23.Rb1 Nc3 and black wins the rook

(d)
22. Nb3 Rxb3
23. Rxb3 c2 and white can't stop the pawn

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I love tactics that let you disrespect your opponents move like that

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

First move
19...Nxb3!!

Game continued with what is probably the most trying line
20.Rxc3 Nxd2
21.Nxd2 bxc3!
22.Bxd5 Rxb1+
23.Nxb1 c2 -+

Alternate lines
(a)
20.Rxb3 Qxb3 is just an exchange

(b)
20.Qxc3 Nxc3

(c)
22. Rxb7 cxd2
23.Rb1 Nc3 and black wins the rook

(d)
22. Nb3 Rxb3
23. Rxb3 c2 and white can't stop the pawn

What happens if
20. Qxc3?

It seems to me that white can hold it, but I'm a beginner...

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Walh Hara posted:

What happens if
20. Qxc3?

It seems to me that white can hold it, but I'm a beginner...

Hand Knit posted:

Alternate lines

(b)
20.Qxc3 Nxc3

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I decided to focus on learning a single white and black opening to try and improve my overall game. About a week in playing a bit every day, it's been working. I shot up about 100 pts while still fumbling a lot of it. I think just having the structure and a short term goal has really helped me avoid blunders early on.

I didn't want to rely on memorizing lines, but my usual way of just winging it on a vague strategy of controlling the centre just wasn't working in Blitz and 10m.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

Alternate line 20. Qxc3

20.Qxc3 Nxc3

Sorry, somehow didn't see this.

That said, I was looking at this line

20.Qxc3 Nxc3
21. Rxc3 bxc3
22. Nd4 Nxd4 (if ..Nc5 or ..Rb8 then 23. Bxb7)
23. Bxb7 (or Rxb7)

But now after looking at it more I think I understand that after all this black is still winning with
23. .. Nxe2+
24. Kf1 c2 (I missed this c2 move in my first calculations)

So I'm wondering if white has a better move than 22 Nd4 in this variation...

Very interesting position!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Anyone have any tips for tilt in Chess? It's very hard for me to maintain a decent headspace sometimes. I take (sometimes days long) breaks when that happens but maybe there's other methods to consider?

Like, I'm used competitive fighting games and when I'm on a bad streak I always go into training mode to reinforce my muscle memory and my execution. In Chess, I don't really have an equivalent. Sometimes I try to Puzzle Mode when I'm on a bad streak but often it ends up backfiring even harder, where I start missing tactics I can normally catch and then my puzzle ranking tanks too.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Know your endgame tactics:

46. b6 axb6
47.Ra5 bxa5
48. a7 +-

Artelier posted:

Anyone have any tips for tilt in Chess? It's very hard for me to maintain a decent headspace sometimes. I take (sometimes days long) breaks when that happens but maybe there's other methods to consider?

Like, I'm used competitive fighting games and when I'm on a bad streak I always go into training mode to reinforce my muscle memory and my execution. In Chess, I don't really have an equivalent. Sometimes I try to Puzzle Mode when I'm on a bad streak but often it ends up backfiring even harder, where I start missing tactics I can normally catch and then my puzzle ranking tanks too.

If I just don't have it I just don't force myself. Walk away from the board, do something else. Have a snack or something. If I'm in a situation where I have to keep playing, I follow the classical advice which is just "play simple, take a quick draw, and get out of there."

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Artelier posted:

Sometimes I try to Puzzle Mode when I'm on a bad streak but often it ends up backfiring even harder, where I start missing tactics I can normally catch and then my puzzle ranking tanks too.

When I want pressure-free puzzles, I just go to Lichess, log out, and doodle around with puzzles ratings-free.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
The new puzzle storm is also good for that since it starts out easy and there's no ratings

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

God drat playing with an increment is brutal. The level of accuracy demanded is much higher as you can't rely on your opponent running out of time to save your bacon. I have played blitz on chess com at mostly at 5min, with a bit of 3 min thrown in and had climbed up to almost a 1200 rating. Started playing 3|2 and have been dumped back down to the high 990s, losing a lot of games where I have an upper hand and then blunder it away when my opponent is down to a few seconds and they are able to claw back a win my making a few quick solid moves to build up their clock.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

butros posted:

God drat playing with an increment is brutal. The level of accuracy demanded is much higher as you can't rely on your opponent running out of time to save your bacon. I have played blitz on chess com at mostly at 5min, with a bit of 3 min thrown in and had climbed up to almost a 1200 rating. Started playing 3|2 and have been dumped back down to the high 990s, losing a lot of games where I have an upper hand and then blunder it away when my opponent is down to a few seconds and they are able to claw back a win my making a few quick solid moves to build up their clock.

That's funny because it's the exact opposite of my feelings, I hate non-increment games where the game can devolve into a premove time scramble at the very end where each side is just trying to flag and not actually playing the position on the board. If you made me play 5+0 instead of 3+2, I'd probably lose a bunch of rating.

As someone who cut his teeth on OTB classical chess in the 1990s with mechanical clocks (i.e. no increment), coming back to classical play in the late 2010s with digital clocks and an increment felt fantastic. I still make stupid blunders under time trouble but the game feels more like it is being decided by skill at the very end.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

former glory posted:

I decided to focus on learning a single white and black opening to try and improve my overall game. About a week in playing a bit every day, it's been working. I shot up about 100 pts while still fumbling a lot of it. I think just having the structure and a short term goal has really helped me avoid blunders early on.

I didn't want to rely on memorizing lines, but my usual way of just winging it on a vague strategy of controlling the centre just wasn't working in Blitz and 10m.

I'm around the same boat you're in, but I'm struggling to properly visualize capture sequences after getting a reasonably solid opening in. It took me a long time to figure out this exercise: https://lichess.org/practice/basic-tactics/the-pin/9ogFv8Ac/BRmScz9t

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Carbolic posted:

That's funny because it's the exact opposite of my feelings, I hate non-increment games where the game can devolve into a premove time scramble at the very end where each side is just trying to flag and not actually playing the position on the board. If you made me play 5+0 instead of 3+2, I'd probably lose a bunch of rating.

As someone who cut his teeth on OTB classical chess in the 1990s with mechanical clocks (i.e. no increment), coming back to classical play in the late 2010s with digital clocks and an increment felt fantastic. I still make stupid blunders under time trouble but the game feels more like it is being decided by skill at the very end.

I'm horrible at premoving and flagging and don't really ever try to win that way unless it's literally just a race to queen first. Here's a fresh example from just a few mins ago.

https://www.chess.com/live/game/8018760501

At move 28 I've got a minute on the clock to my opponent's 22 seconds, and have a clear advantage according to the computer. I end up making a few blunders, my opponent is able to make up time and ultimately mate me.

I feel like one thing that this game points out is that my clock management is really poor. I feel like I either up running out of time in strong positions, or don't use my time when I'm up like in the game above. If I had just made solid moves instead of panicking and going to fast, I could/should have pulled that one out.

I've been thinking about how I prefer to win/lose, and am coming up with rough ranking of

Obviously, I want to win, and win by checkmate, and do so with good play, not with some gimmick or getting lucky because I hung a piece and my opponent missed it.

Failing checkmate, I'd prefer to win up on time with a clear advantage over my opponent.

From there it's unclear - I don't feel like I really learn anything by flagging so don't really like winning just because I can click faster, and so would probably actually prefer to lose on time with a clear advantage over winning by flagging, if that makes sense.

Next would be losing just because my opponent clearly outplays me and I pretty much never have the advantage - not by any big blunders but just better moves every time.

If I blunder and at least make a loss a fight, I can learn and take away from that.

What I want to avoid at all costs is losing because I blundered and gave up an advantage. Again, a learning opportunity but man do those ones hurt (so probably some of the most valuable experiences but who knows).

Chess is hard.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Bubbacub posted:

I'm around the same boat you're in, but I'm struggling to properly visualize capture sequences after getting a reasonably solid opening in. It took me a long time to figure out this exercise: https://lichess.org/practice/basic-tactics/the-pin/9ogFv8Ac/BRmScz9t

I'm catching sequences like that pretty well, but like I said, I'll then lose a rook in the opening to a bishop or something worse. I did a whole bunch of puzzles on Lichess a while back and I feel like those developed my ability to spot more of the "long con" types of sequences, so maybe that could be what your game needs to round out. :shrug:

I'm working on the e6b6 and e4 opening lines from Gotham and I'm seeing progress. What gets me now is my opponent will accept my gambit or go on a line I know is supposed to be a massive loss for them, but then I draw a blank on the best response and end up with a Rube Goldberg position, lol. What I've decided I'm going to do when I have time is make a little paper notebook of the main lines of my two openings that I can just randomly look through to keep my memory fresh. The PGN files and the videos are good at explaining, but it's drilling it into my head that's a little tougher.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

This was a position I've never even come close to seeing.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

oh god lol i just had the worst bullet game ive ever seen. i was at a +3 advantage according to stockfish coming out of the opening but check out stockfish’s evaluations of the following string of moves by both me and my opponent:

blunder
ok move
blunder
blunder
blunder
blunder
blunder
blunder
blunder
inaccuracy
blunder
inaccuracy
inaccuracy
blunder
blunder

and then i blew a simple ladder mate in 6 but somehow pulled my head out of my rear end and won anyway

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 3, 2021

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
I've never played a bullet game, and I'm just amazed it's a thing humans can do at all. I imagine my complete game would be "blunder, blunder, blunder, loss on time".

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

a lot of it is pattern recognition. this game i was talking about was a very closed positional game so there werent any obvious tactical patterns showing up which is i guess partly why we both screwed it up so bad

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I love GMs that play a bunch of weird openings just to try and confuse the opponent into making a mistake or burning time.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I had a 10-minute game where my opponent had a hanging rook for ten moves, and every move that didn't capture the rook or save the rook was a blunder. We were both distracted by some knights dancing around on the other side of the board.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

algebra testes posted:

I love GMs that play a bunch of weird openings just to try and confuse the opponent into making a mistake or burning time.

same. but really a gm could deliberately play many bad moves in a row against someone like me and then at any point flip the switch and win anyway

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
That's every Ben Finegold youtube video.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fart simpson posted:

a lot of it is pattern recognition. this game i was talking about was a very closed positional game so there werent any obvious tactical patterns showing up which is i guess partly why we both screwed it up so bad

like i just had another bullet game where i trapped black’s bishop with h4 in the caro kann, he didn’t know the trap so i picked up the free bishop and went on to win in 22 moves. no inaccuracies, mistakes, or blunders, and other than losing his bishop he played an otherwise solid game and it just gradually snowballed against him

that win was pure pattern recognition, knowing an opening better than my opponent, and simple tactics. basically what i hope for in a bullet game

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Cool pic of the day - Moscow, 1950's

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Description checks out

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

HELP!

According to chess.com I am about 1100 but I have no idea what I am doing.

I've tried learning a few openings like the queens gambit (before the program came out) and e4 but I have no idea about how to build a plan for the midgame or even what to do with my pawns. A lot of the time the ones either side of the central two pawns don't move.

What is really annoying is that a lot of my games are give aways. I'll be doing fine then make a silly, subtle mistake and lose the game. And usually I will see the good move but not do it.

I've trying to do the chess.com lessons and watching vids on youtube but nothing is really going in. I feel like if I was to learn a few rules of how to analysis a position I would be ok but I can;t find anything that is helping.

So I turn to you and ask for your help. How to I go from making stupid mistakes to clever ones?

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
I don't really consider these two to be in the same category:

notaspy posted:

silly, subtle mistake

notaspy posted:

stupid mistakes

At the 1100 level, I assume the stupid mistakes will be like hanging a piece or a simple tactic, not some subtle positional mistake. Could you be more specific about what's going wrong?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

notaspy posted:

So I turn to you and ask for your help. How to I go from making stupid mistakes to clever ones?
Grind tactics

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

My first ever brilliancy! We spent several turns laying the foundation for this move, as we both gradually maneuvered powerful pieces to attack e2. Of course, I ended up throwing this away in the endgame as I ended up losing a pawn race that I could have won.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

:eyepop:

i just landed a forced checkmate in 13 sequence with only one technically suboptimal move

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Chamale posted:

My first ever brilliancy! We spent several turns laying the foundation for this move, as we both gradually maneuvered powerful pieces to attack e2. Of course, I ended up throwing this away in the endgame as I ended up losing a pawn race that I could have won.

What if they take with the queen?
Q:e2, R:e2+
Kd1
Black does have some advantage, but it doesn't look decisive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Doctor Malaver posted:

What if they take with the queen?
Q:e2, R:e2+
Kd1
Black does have some advantage, but it doesn't look decisive.

1... Qe2
2.Rxe2 Rxe2
3.Kd1 Rxd2+
4.Kxd2 Rb8
5.Rb1 and then either Rb6 or the immediate f5-f4 should be decisive.

fe: oh, you mean 2.Qxe2. Same general idea applies. Trade one pair of rooks then exploit the weak b3 pawn to tie down white's rook.