Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Gonna cut against the conventional wisdom and say I love particular colliders for deut production. They're not useful when you're using fusion are your generation source, because of the energy inefficiency compared to fractionators, but they're great when fuel rods become an input to your rocket production line instead of your generation source.

It's not remotely as energy efficient but once you have artificial suns automated and plenty of antimatter you can just plop down a row of them and generate tons of deut without spending hours covering half the planet with fractionators.

I.e. the benefit is trading space/supply chain efficiency for energy efficiency. If you have electricity for days and you need massive amounts of fuel rods for rockets the fractionator setups just can't keep up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Oof, I'm really going to have to do some power calculations and/or bulldoze more of my starter world to make room for more ray receivers. I'm setting up a 30/s green cube factory on this beautiful neutron star's world which has unipolar magnets, and this means tons of strange matter, which means approximately a million particle colliders going full time, and apparently those consume ALL THE POWER.

Does this mean I need to bust out excel to figure out how many photons/antimatter/antimatter fuel cells my first batch of ray receivers are making? Likely yes.

Alternatively, I could just put down MORE MORE MORE of everything and cross my fingers that it'll work out.

e: I did 30/s green cubes first because it seemed like the hardest one, so I'd start there and work my way down to the easier science cubes. Plus I can export the green cubes to my starter world's science area to start chugging through some of these infinite upgrades (mostly mining) that have been stalled as my green egg production that previously fed green cubes -> white cubes has been stolen for ray receivers, due to the opaque logistic tower logic.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Wish I could paint/label production areas. I know where all the stuff in my homeworld is but I build very knotted spaghetti and if I could put giant flats with names over the product areas it would rule. And show the labels on the starmap.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Wish I could paint/label production areas. I know where all the stuff in my homeworld is but I build very knotted spaghetti and if I could put giant flats with names over the product areas it would rule. And show the labels on the starmap.

Labels would be nice.

In the meantime you can always use conveyor belts full of TIME CUBES research blocks to mark stuff.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Can I get an energy generator tier list, are the satellites worth a poo poo

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I cannot for the life of me understand why the radius in which you are allowed to apply copied recipes is so drat small. It's like a quarter of the build radius?

Why wouldn't they be the same radius?

I build everything, then I have to fly around in increments to copy the recipes to all of the machines. Seems like a downright bone-headed design choice.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Mr Scumbag posted:

I cannot for the life of me understand why the radius in which you are allowed to apply copied recipes is so drat small. It's like a quarter of the build radius?

Why wouldn't they be the same radius?

I build everything, then I have to fly around in increments to copy the recipes to all of the machines. Seems like a downright bone-headed design choice.
If you set the recipe on the first machine then shift+click it you can place the other machines with the recipe already set.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Yeah, I do that when I remember, but often I'm absorbed in a podcast or audiobook and forget do I have to go back through and copy them.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Mr Scumbag posted:

Yeah, I do that when I remember, but often I'm absorbed in a podcast or audiobook and forget do I have to go back through and copy them.
I always forget too. The only annoying part is there's no hotkey to switch between god mode & normal mode. I know about the mod, but as far as I know that mod didn't post its source code on github or anywhere so I don't want to use it.

In normal mode you can just fly around and spam the key while aiming at stuff and it's no big deal. In god mode it's kind of annoying.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I import yellow cubes, so I ripped up all the supporting building for it, leaving all the oil for plastic production... Which I wish I realized before setting up plastic on a remote world to ship in because I was always short.....

At least.i can realize my dream of a dyson sphere level civ shooting coal all over the universe to burn in power plants. Fusion to power the miners, coal to power everything else, especially the ships to transport it. I can't stop laughing

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

zoux posted:

Satellites are just tesla towers with a much longer range, they don't generate energy. They are great though, one will allow five or six rows of factories to be powered by its radius.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Eschatos posted:

Satellites are just tesla towers with a much longer range, they don't generate energy. They are great though, one will allow five or six rows of factories to be powered by its radius.

And, more importantly, they look great when you go into planet view and see dozens of them in the air.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I have declared war on the sun.

Starshine delenda est

Rynoto posted:

Thermal power after the initial opening phase of dumping coal into them should really be used as nothing more than an overflow dump. Fusion should be the backbone of your power grids until late game.

Release The Carbon.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

IcePhoenix posted:

how high is your resource multiplier?

For people on white cubes, How many Ray Receivers do I need to have on photon mode to get a decent amount of antimatter? Is their generation speed based on how much energy the sphere (or in my case still, a swarm) is sending out?

The standard setting, I didn't fiddle with anything just started a regular game.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Yeah, at the edge of the cluster, the resources get to stupid high numbers. On default multiplier, even the pity coal veins on every world is over a million.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Finished my first sphere and am now heading out to start the next one. We shall cage every star in the name of glorious space communism.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

zoux posted:

Tesla Satellites are Tesla Towers with a connection and supply range nearly as big as the X-Ray towers.

Anyways my ranking list for power generator:
S: Artificial Sun
A: Fusion, Ray Collectors (with gravity lenses)
B: Ray Collectors (without gravity lenses), Solar Belt (Early, cheap, shockingly powerful but takes a while to set up)
C: Wind turbines (the space requirement is frustrating), Thermal (Have a short window where they're nice for being your only non-wind option, after that they're rather weak and are best used as dumps for excess carbon/oil)

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Wind remains relevant into the endgame because it's the least involved way to power mining outposts. Every three turbines powers two miners (and a mining outpost only needs to power miners, as everything else is belts and unpowered logistics stations), and there's no hassle to putting them down around the mining site or stringing them between resource nodes. If wind is at 70% or less effectiveness you just need to put down a few more.

If it's really low a polar solar array will power the planet, but that means every outpost needs to be wired to the pole, which is more of a hassle.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

So when setting up an outpost, the supply side tower doesn’t need power, ships, or warpers as long as the demand side tower has power, ships, and warpers?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Alkydere posted:

Tesla Satellites are Tesla Towers with a connection and supply range nearly as big as the X-Ray towers.

Anyways my ranking list for power generator:
S: Artificial Sun
A: Fusion, Ray Collectors (with gravity lenses)
B: Ray Collectors (without gravity lenses), Solar Belt (Early, cheap, shockingly powerful but takes a while to set up)
C: Wind turbines (the space requirement is frustrating), Thermal (Have a short window where they're nice for being your only non-wind option, after that they're rather weak and are best used as dumps for excess carbon/oil)
You can dump excess raw hydrogen into thermal which is surprisingly relevant early on & pretty harmless later on with orbital collectors and lots of recipes dumping out more hydrogen than I've ever been able to convert. But, I setup a thermal overflow on the starting planet and haven't used it on any planet since because they are massively space inefficient compared to fusion and better power.

Wind turbines can easily be used as power lines early-game and on mining planets early-mid-even-late game. Instead of dropping power lines to connect things far away together you're dropping power generators. Solar can't be used this way without a massive time investment because they have a very short connection range and don't provide power to things surrounding them.

I'd probably bump wind to B tier with the note (not as the primary power source) because it's more of a supplemental source. And Thermal is ??? tier because it's not bad but takes up >4x the space of fusion. The only mildly interesting part is thermal is 100% renewable if you power thermal with stuff from orbital collectors and oil. Lots of other sources consume some non-renewable resource. Although resource scarcity isn't really a thing in this game for common resources.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 23, 2021

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

So when setting up an outpost, the supply side tower doesn’t need power, ships, or warpers as long as the demand side tower has power, ships, and warpers?

Correct. You can leave the supply side completely unpowered.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

necrotic posted:

Do note that leaving it permanently unpowered effectively halves the throughput of the outpost.

But I suppose just building twice as many stations demand-side might actually be easier than powering the supply-side.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

necrotic posted:

Reaganomics!

crime weed posted:

Do note that leaving it permanently unpowered effectively halves the throughput of the outpost.

:hmmyes:

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
I built a ray collector and launched my first solar sails but it doesn't seem to be contributing power to my grid. Is there anything else I need to do other then launch more sails and wait?

I read that your collector needs to be aligned towards the orbit (or change your orbit to match your planet) for best results but I didn't see any power regardless.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

So my current project has been setting up outposts to gather rare stuff. Then I get sidetracked on each world and also slap down some production lines for other stuff I need.

Setting up shop on a planet with acid lakes to hoover them up for later? Eh, might as well automate Assembler Mk 2 production while I'm in the neighborhood.

God help me if I ever want to revise one of my production lines and I have to scour my worlds to find the right one.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

crime weed posted:

But I suppose just building twice as many stations demand-side might actually be easier than powering the supply-side.

Powering it is an easy to way to boost it, that's for sure. I had some problems with my smelter planet producing enough and throwing some vessels in and powering it fixed it right up.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I'm currently planning out where to put my sphere, and I've found a very tasty line of highly luminous blue stars which lead up to the most luminous star on the map, so I'm working on industrialising the first of them with a view to hopscotching along and settling in the last one. It's relatively nearby a neutron star as well, so along with the rare materials along the route I'll have everything I need to build a glorious forge system.

I like how all these planets have just incredible volumes of iron. If anyone is worried about resource limitation in this game, just hop over a couple of stars toward the edge and you'll be laughing.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
Game good. I've been working my way through and finally got the Copy Inserters mod now that I've unlocked Logistics and am building larger factory blocks. There's no question that this mod is now entering the same hallowed ranks as "Honk" for Factorio: never not in use.

As far as logistics stations: will towers request/supply items that are set to "Storage", or does that just give it a place to sit in that one tower?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Just found out about the alt key mode for copyinserters :prepop:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I finished the equatorial solar ring round my lava planet after a few days mucking about with various new starts. Turns out the very first seed I made is prety decent - 2 satellite and 1 lava. The 2nd gas giant satellite has both silicon and titanium in large quantities plus fire ice. The lava planet is stacked with everything 20M iron, 40M copper and so on.

I installed the inserter mod and I've running out of excuses to procrastinate about purple cubes any more. Just seems like a steep cliff.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Now that I’ve landed in a second system to Dyson sphere I’ve decided to automate building production. Before this I was just grabbing components and making everything by hand. Now I’m just making buildings wherever on the planet and using drones to fly them to a “mall” at the pole that’s just a bunch of interstellar stations, which will eventually allow me to export the mall wherever I go.

Automating buildings makes life a whole lot easier and I wish I had done this earlier.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

zoux posted:

Just found out about the alt key mode for copyinserters :prepop:

Alt key mode?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arcturas posted:

Alt key mode?

If you have your template building set up, instead of clicking to place, if you press - not hold - alt it starts a draggable line of assemblers or smelters or whatever, all with sorters.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
So how exactly do you load an EM Railgun?

After 80 hours I'm starting to get ready to build my sphere finally. I thought it had belt passthrough like a fractioner but it apparently doesn't. Do the little white points on the blueprint hook into a belt or something? I didn't have any sails handy to try.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Connect a sorter to the place it looks like a belt should go into. If a belt doesn’t work. One of either the rail guns or the rocket launchers is weird like that.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

zoux posted:

If you have your template building set up, instead of clicking to place, if you press - not hold - alt it starts a draggable line of assemblers or smelters or whatever, all with sorters.

I think that’s from the Better Build Delete mod, not the copy inserters mod. Unless they joined forces.

Both mods should and probably will just become base game functionality.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I traveled 40 lightyears to transform this planet into a dyson sphere staging ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiC_fablasQ

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Sandweed posted:

I traveled 40 lightyears to transform this planet into a dyson sphere staging ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiC_fablasQ

Good god, this game is beautiful. What many games would aspire to have as a cutscene, this game has as its actual gameplay. And it's not even some premade asset - this is something that is built out of constituent parts and powered by other parts and a massive, massive factory behind it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
also runs at a smooth framerate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

My mind was actually blown when I flew up into my 13,000 strong dyson swarm. Every individual solar sail was right there.

Is there any effective in-game way to catalog the different star systems when deciding where to build next? Or do I just have to write down which systems I've reviewed?

In a similar vein (pun intended) what are the best rare resources to look out for? Is there a detailed list anywhere?