Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

crazypeltast52 posted:

To piggyback on this:

Selling options, or any short volatility trade, is called picking up pennies in front of a steamroller. I’ve been trading for a while and have never been short volatility. There is just too much asymmetric downside for my risk tolerance.

I think people tend to value risk reduction too highly so they pay too much for insurance and are overeager to "lock in their gains" (you can see it all over this thread).

But sure, it can be really dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Baddog posted:

I think people tend to value risk reduction too highly so they pay too much for insurance and are overeager to "lock in their gains" (you can see it all over this thread).

But sure, it can be really dangerous.

I wonder if it falls into the “money you can afford to lose advice”

Options are risky, sure, but it’s really only picking up pennies in front of a steam roller if your using money that could hurt you.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
you don't have to do the options equivalent of betting it all on black either

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

please knock Mom! posted:

you don't have to do the options equivalent of betting it all on black either
Very true, you can bet it all on both red and black!

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

punk rebel ecks posted:

Thanks for the PLTR responses.

Also, I think I'm never going to buy stock during bull market ever again. Wait for bear weeks to buy, bull weeks to sell. Not sure what everyone else here does.

Yes why didn't we all think of this.

Buy low, sell high.

Just time the market.

Duh.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 23, 2021

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Deviant posted:

who do i have to threaten on the internet to make number go up

If you can start a couple wars in the mideast my oil stocks will thank you.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

punk rebel ecks posted:

Not sure what everyone else here does.

I have fun and try not to think about my metrics.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

If people only posted here after they had their retirement set up with boring index funds and came here with fun money, I wouldn’t be saying this, but I don’t want to be part of someone ripping their face off because they didn’t understand the risks of going short vol or going all in on a meme stock sliding into a dumpster.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I'm glad that in Canada our version of Robin Hood only lets us buy shares. I'm just trying to have fun up here and not lose my shirt.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

lmao red across the board except for the AMC I'm bag holding is up... 14% lmao (and I'm still underwater on my AMC...)

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Uranium 235 posted:

imo if you are interested in options you should paper trade them for a while so you can get an idea of how they work. i've seen people blow up accounts because they misunderstood what they were doing

Do you have a recommended paper trade site for options?

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Le Saboteur posted:

I'm glad that in Canada our version of Robin Hood only lets us buy shares. I'm just trying to have fun up here and not lose my shirt.

There's nothing wrong with getting approved for Level 2 options trading and just doing that. No way to blow anything up (which higher levels of options trading would allow). With level 1/2, the only things you can do have a max defined loss that's shown before every trade. Also no need for a margin account for up to level 2, do everything with a cash account. I find it very profitable to sell way out of the money covered calls on stocks I have that have been stale to get the equivalent of dividend income from them. Cash covered put is an excellent way to get into a stock instead of simply buying it, which protects you from the immediate drop that can happen after you buy.

WSB newbies getting approved for Level 4 options and a margin account from Robinhood that does 0 risk evaluation can definitely blow their accounts though. Although it was funny seeing the various bugs the app had a few years ago, such as that one dude who used $10K of margin to build up an over a million dollar options position (the app kept increasing buying power infinitely before he actually sold anything).

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 23, 2021

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

PLTR - they're good at catching government contracts, both here and abroad, they're still developing new platforms, and based on tech demo reactions their software is relatively easy to use. In the realm of government work, it sounds like they're set. Palantir's not quadrupling earnings every second so they'll get ground into dirt for now, but they're getting better at their business and at getting paid every year, so I expect their stock performance to ultimately increase.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Thanks for the PLTR responses.

Also, I think I'm never going to buy stock during bull market ever again. Wait for bear weeks to buy, bull weeks to sell. Not sure what everyone else here does.

I mean, for me, it's:

- Have a long-term plan (don't fret your portfolio being down -.8%; think about the value of your stock in terms of increasing in value over time, splitting, dividends, etc.)
- Diversify your portfolio (tech stocks took a poo poo today, so don't have a portfolio that's only Apple, Google, etc.!)
- This should be a small part of your overall investment plan; some of it can be fun money, but your real money should be in an IRA/401k/savings account.
- Look at each stock's history/projections, and research the company; you're making an educated guess that you're buying at a good price, and it's got better chances of going up than going down

Today, my portfolio opened at -3.5%, now it's around -1%. Fluctuations are going to happen, and day to day stuff doesn't matter in the long term.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Red posted:

I mean, for me, it's:

- Have a long-term plan (don't fret your portfolio being down -.8%; think about the value of your stock in terms of increasing in value over time, splitting, dividends, etc.)
- Diversify your portfolio (tech stocks took a poo poo today, so don't have a portfolio that's only Apple, Google, etc.!)
- This should be a small part of your overall investment plan; some of it can be fun money, but your real money should be in an IRA/401k/savings account.
- Look at each stock's history/projections, and research the company; you're making an educated guess that you're buying at a good price, and it's got better chances of going up than going down

Today, my portfolio opened at -3.5%, now it's around -1%. Fluctuations are going to happen, and day to day stuff doesn't matter in the long term.

Thank you.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

this is the one I see linked around:
https://platform.thinkorswim.com/platform/index.html#!/pmregister

note paper trading data is delayed

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Baddog posted:

I think people ... are overeager to "lock in their gains" (you can see it all over this thread).

As opposed to locking in losses?

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
It’s called harvesting!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...
The hedge funds are doing short ladder attacks against all my holdings!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Cortexyme is a shining beacon of green in the crimson abyss

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Le Saboteur posted:

Brilliant, no sell button! That would solve it.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

ketchup vs catsup posted:

note paper trading data is delayed

Just go on Yahoo Finance and leave the tabs open for your stocks. I only put 800 in ETrade and you need 1000 for live quotes, but you can refresh the buy/sell order constantly for a live price.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Superrodan posted:

AMC jumped up a bit today. I kind of expect that this is meme related and for it to drop back to somewhere closer to 5 dollars or so in the next day, so I sold what I was holding at 6.44 and will rebuy if it goes low enough.

If it keeps rising and stays steady, then the joke's on me I guess.

The joke's on me, I guess.

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010

Space Fish posted:

Being disciplined enough to do nothing is an actual skill. People tend to be way too emotional (panic sell/FOMO).

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Thought AMC was rising because another theater chain went out of business today but it turns out they are tiny and have 7 locations

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Thought AMC was rising because another theater chain went out of business today but it turns out they are tiny and have 7 locations

New York is letting them open, might be that.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I'm pretty sure you can paper trade them on thinkorswim, but I'm not sure because I've never tried. Using TOS would be great because they're a preferred platform by a lot of retail options traders

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Hoop Dreams posted:

Being disciplined enough to do nothing is an actual skill. People tend to be way too emotional (panic sell/FOMO).

Everyone likes to pretend that they have high risk tolerance and will thump their chest and say "HIGH RISK MEANS HIGH REWARD"

They are almost always lying to themselves. They are also the first people to panic sell the moment there's an -8% to -10% correction.

Then... they buy back in when the markets are back up and start crying about the system being "rigged".

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

A friend of mine is pushing CTXR hard, anyone have thoughts on that?

Yomofo717
Nov 1, 2020
I learned the panic sell lesson today. All that red looked awful this morning. I thought the whole market was going down hah.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Space Fish posted:

Its hard to find a company that is performing over expectations (great management, product better than analysts thought, etc etc). When you do, I don't think you should rush to "sell half so you can never be down", or whatever the absolute gamblers always say.

Conversely, its pretty loving easy to find a company that sucks and will continue to suck for the foreseeable future. Don't get stuck holding them as they spiral to zero.

This is all just sort of philosophy though (cap your losses or cap your winners). The real thing you should always be asking yourself is "would I still buy this stock at the current price given all the latest information (and tax consequences, etc etc)".

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...
Build a Bear Workshop is one of only two stocks in my robinhood gambling account that isn't down today.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

mongeese posted:

Build a Bear Workshop is one of only two stocks in my robinhood gambling account that isn't down today.

Bear market confirmed.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Yomofo717 posted:

I learned the panic sell lesson today. All that red looked awful this morning. I thought the whole market was going down hah.

I mean, it is still a very very red day, just not the absolute panic of market open. Nearly everything I'm tracking is down 3-8%. Yesterday wasn't great either.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Short ladder attacks working to Build A Bear Market

E: ^ same wave length bro/bro-ette

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

interesting discussion here about ARK ETFs and challenges they face since ETF AUM is uncapped and they've had record inflows:

https://twitter.com/StockJabber/status/1364255322932707329?s=20
https://twitter.com/StockJabber/status/1364254379033952257?s=20

I don't know if he's right, but, the ARKs certainly are volatile both up and down. I posted previously about how the huge AUM is posing headwinds for ARKK in particular. On discord, I mentioned last week that I sold all my ARKF holdings, but I really want to get back in to ARKF eventually (and was thinking about doing so this afternoon or tomorrow). Now I have to ponder this a bit and maybe wait until next week, we'll see.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Baddog posted:

Its hard to find a company that is performing over expectations (great management, product better than analysts thought, etc etc). When you do, I don't think you should rush to "sell half so you can never be down", or whatever the absolute gamblers always say.

Conversely, its pretty loving easy to find a company that sucks and will continue to suck for the foreseeable future. Don't get stuck holding them as they spiral to zero.

This is all just sort of philosophy though (cap your losses or cap your winners). The real thing you should always be asking yourself is "would I still buy this stock at the current price given all the latest information (and tax consequences, etc etc)".

Hoop Dreams posted:

Completely agreed. I felt defensive after "locking in gains" saved me a chunk of change with regards to CCIV. That's a huge outlier compared to everything else in my portfolio, though. Long holding on companies/indexes I think will thrive over the year(s).

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I'd been meaning to reorganize my positions a bit out of some more volatile stuff so today ended up being a good day to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
LOL I should have invested in a nice lunch. This is a bloodbath.