Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Inner Light posted:

Not liking this gas range/oven pushed up against a wall. Not sure if I'm being too picky for my first condo? The countertops are also not my fav, but I think I could live with that.

lol yes that sucks. You want space on both sides of the stove. Also no backsplash and like H110 said the microwave won't open all the way.

No one who gives a gently caress and/or knows how to cook was involved with the creation of that "kitchen".

Countertops are a preference but.....ewwww. I'm not sure if I hate the countertops or if they just absolutely don't match with anything else in there or both.

Bonus points on the past-counter-depth fridge that is taking up your already limited space in front of the stove. I bet the oven door barely clears 90 degrees.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Inner Light posted:

Not liking this gas range/oven pushed up against a wall. Not sure if I'm being too picky for my first condo? The countertops are also not my fav, but I think I could live with that.

There is nothing about this kitchen that I like except for the fact that it's more open than a standard galley kitchen.

But otherwise, literally nothing.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

This is great lol. I will go ahead and cancel my tour of that hovel.

I would post more pics in this thread especially of the condos I'm strong on, the issue is they can easily be reverse image searched so if I win an offer goons will have my address!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

My oven is currently up against a wall and if there wasn't electrical on the other side I would have torn that poo poo out the day I moved in. Having no clearance on one side of your cooktop suckssss.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Sirotan posted:

My oven is currently up against a wall and if there wasn't electrical on the other side I would have torn that poo poo out the day I moved in. Having no clearance on one side of your cooktop suckssss.

Did you notice this when you considered the place and it just wasn't a dealbreaker for you, with the other factors about it? That's one thing I'm figuring out, what are downsides and which downsides reach the level of dealbreakers. i.e. I can dislike countertops or bathroom vanities but those shouldn't be dealbreakers, usually.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Inner Light posted:

Did you notice this when you considered the place and it just wasn't a dealbreaker for you, with the other factors about it? That's one thing I'm figuring out, what are downsides and which downsides reach the level of dealbreakers. i.e. I can dislike countertops or bathroom vanities but those shouldn't be dealbreakers, usually.

Yes. I bought my place with the intention of completely redoing the kitchen within the first year or two (or three or four...), so I'm putting up with how lovely and gross it is right now. The best advice I got from my realtor was to focus on the things I can't change. My house is a fixer upper, but the location is excellent, and the layout is really nice, and it has other features I wouldn't compromise on and that are hard or impossible to add on otherwise (a basement, garage, etc). Countertops can be changed, depending on the space, layouts might not be.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Sirotan posted:

I have a half-wall on the right side of my stove. It's actually got all the water pipes in it. I know because they failed to hold in all the water at one point. Anyway...

The half-wall is actually pretty alright because it means the stuff I put on the other side of it is protected from the stove while not blocking my arm from making movements and still giving me decent access to the counter on that side. I would hate it if it were just a full wall, though, for sure.

Inner Light posted:

When I was buying houses, yeah what Sirotan said - biggest dealbreakers were things that I couldn't change. For me, the kitchen was really important so many houses where the kitchen was too small or blocked off from the rest of the house, I didn't even look at. Places where there wasn't a vent to the outside and where one couldn't be added easily were also eliminated, things like that.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
A buddy found this potentially ever-so-slightly :nws: gem which is an exquisite example of how not to stage a property for sale.
It's a duplex. Half of it's just poorly designed, cluttered, and very messy. Half of it's decorated with stuff that I assume was too gaudy for a McMansion. Oh, also, the "nice" part of the duplex is filled with an uncomfortable number of mannequins. NWS tagged for the naked mannequin.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

poeticoddity posted:

A buddy found this potentially ever-so-slightly :nws: gem which is an exquisite example of how not to stage a property for sale.
It's a duplex. Half of it's just poorly designed, cluttered, and very messy. Half of it's decorated with stuff that I assume was too gaudy for a McMansion. Oh, also, the "nice" part of the duplex is filled with an uncomfortable number of mannequins. NWS tagged for the naked mannequin.

:stare:

But aside from the, uh, decor that is likely fetish related, it doesn’t look good and feels decidedly un-Tahoe. I don’t think I’ve ever been in a Tahoe house that didn’t have some kind of wood paneling in it.

Edit: oh it does have wood paneling! I can see it in one of the bedrooms, painted white.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Inner Light posted:

In the future, if you can’t open the oven and the fridge at the same time, then it should probably be a deal breaker.

Jokes aside, an oven against a wall like that will guarantee you burn yourself at least once. You’ll eventually get lazy and stop lowering the oven door all the way down then sliding the middle rack out. You’ll start leaning and twisting to cook something. that’s when you misjudge the angle and tap your forearm against the open door.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

skipdogg posted:

I can't imaging just buying a house in a city I've never lived in.

This is what my partner and I are potentially doing. :ohdear: We at least have friends in two of the top 5 possible cities, one of which I'm familiar with from visiting but not super familiar with neighbourhoods/living areas.

Related, but are there any recs for shorter rental stuff, or is that probably specific to different cities? Airbnb was a big nope, friend recommended VRBO(I think that's what it was, my partner checked it out) and they were absurdly expensive. Every rental on Zillow that we're seeing is for a full 12 month lease.

Fuuuuck, it's less than a month away and I just want to know where the gently caress I'm going to be spending the next 5-9 years of my life :derp:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Johnny Truant posted:

This is what my partner and I are potentially doing. :ohdear: We at least have friends in two of the top 5 possible cities, one of which I'm familiar with from visiting but not super familiar with neighbourhoods/living areas.

Related, but are there any recs for shorter rental stuff, or is that probably specific to different cities? Airbnb was a big nope, friend recommended VRBO(I think that's what it was, my partner checked it out) and they were absurdly expensive. Every rental on Zillow that we're seeing is for a full 12 month lease.

Fuuuuck, it's less than a month away and I just want to know where the gently caress I'm going to be spending the next 5-9 years of my life :derp:

Idk what it's like where you are, but we've often used Airbnb for medium term (1-3 months) rentals during low demand parts of the year. You can often get 10-30% below advertised, even if they already have long stay discounts, if you contact a bunch of them

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

AmbientParadox posted:

In the future, if you can’t open the oven and the fridge at the same time, then it should probably be a deal breaker.

Jokes aside, an oven against a wall like that will guarantee you burn yourself at least once. You’ll eventually get lazy and stop lowering the oven door all the way down then sliding the middle rack out. You’ll start leaning and twisting to cook something. that’s when you misjudge the angle and tap your forearm against the open door.

The parallel scars on my right forearm from my last apartment confirm

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

pointsofdata posted:

Idk what it's like where you are, but we've often used Airbnb for medium term (1-3 months) rentals during low demand parts of the year. You can often get 10-30% below advertised, even if they already have long stay discounts, if you contact a bunch of them

We only performed a cursory search for one city for longer term rentals on Airbnb and found 0 luck, but I'm gonna be doing some more digging this week or next. Need to maybe search for 'sublet' or something on craigslist, too..

I'm sure the pandemic is not doing us any favours.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

AmbientParadox posted:

I'm in this post and I don't like it.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Are wrought iron burglar bars on some houses in an older area I'm looking at a big deal? I didn't think twice about it initially before but my paranoid mom said something about it when I was showing her a house I like. Do keep in mind she's a suburbanite boomer and would not live in any city interior. I already assume I should improve the doors to the house so that they're harder to kick in and maybe add the shatter resistant film to the windows and maybe motion activated flood lights and rosebushes under windows and I'll be fine for the most part, but that's what I would do with any house I buy. I told her that property crime is in every city and you should just make your house harder than the next house to gently caress with and that would deal with everyone except someone intent or targeting you specifically, which is a bigger loving problem and probably not related to the neighborhood you live in. Buying a house is activating my fear response

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 23, 2021

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Dik Hz posted:

I'm in this post and I don't like it.

Not empty quoting my old lovely apartment.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

gay_crimes posted:

Are wrought iron burglar bars on some houses in an older area I'm looking at a big deal? I didn't think twice about it initially before but my paranoid mom said something about it when I was showing her a house I like. Do keep in mind she's a suburbanite boomer and would not live in any city interior. I already assume I should improve the doors to the house so that they're harder to kick in and maybe add the shatter resistant film to the windows and maybe motion activated flood lights and rosebushes under windows and I'll be fine for the most part, but that's what I would do with any house I buy. I told her that property crime is in every city and you should just make your house harder than the next house to gently caress with and that would deal with everyone except someone intent or targeting you specifically, which is a bigger loving problem and probably not related to the neighborhood you live in. Buying a house is activating my fear response

Post / username combo lol.

In all seriousness, look up the crime stats for the neighborhood. Bars on a few windows could mean anything from there being a legit problem with break-ins to the neighborhood having been a bit rough 30 years ago. Or maybe a couple non-white families moved in and some octogenarians poo poo themselves and decided to bunker up while posting frantically to Nextdoor about how "the neighborhood is changing :ohdear: "

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

A lot of neighborhoods in NYC still have burglar bars even though the area gentrified and there isn't much crime while yuppie couples get $10 coffees pushing $3k strollers. It definitely depends.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

gay_crimes posted:

You answered your own question, imo. They're just sign that your house is tougher to burglarize than the neighbors' houses. They may indicate increased crime when the house was built, but that could be over 100 years ago.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Johnny Truant posted:

I got lucky and was able to find an apartment complex that let me do a 3 month lease. I paid above the usual 12 month rate for the convenience, but it was possible (extra 300 a month I think). I needed a place for only 3 months, but I was also willing to sign a 6 month lease and break it if needed. It can be hard to find short term stuff. You can also try looking for corporate housing. I know my old apartment complex kept 3 or 4 apartments fully furnished and rented them out monthly to corporate folks in town visiting.

YMMV of course, I'm in San Antonio, multiple Air Force bases, lots of folks always coming and going.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
We did the same when we moved back to NoVA. We had lived in the area before, but our move from California came up quicker than we expected. It helped most of our stuff was already in storage, so it just meant getting out the bare essentials for a few months. Only downside was when the kitchen reno post-closing took a week too long and we had to stay in a hotel, but at least by that point we had moved.l our furniture into the home.

The only problem was not actually seeing the apartment in person and boy... we might not have done that particular apartment. Love to spend more on heating that up versus our much larger townhome because the sliding glass door and windows had no insulation.

We considered AirBnB, but at least with the apartment you can extend the lease if you need to by a few months, whereas someone might have already booked the next month at an AirBnB.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

gay_crimes posted:

Bars on the windows might block your escape/rescue in event of fire - if for example fire is blocking your basement stairs. So if you aren't concerned about crime it might be worth having them removed.

But it's worth looking at crime reports in the area. And in many cases it's illegal for your realtor to discuss crime rate so it's something you should look up anyway.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

esquilax posted:

Bars on the windows might block your escape/rescue in event of fire - if for example fire is blocking your basement stairs. So if you aren't concerned about crime it might be worth having them removed.

But it's worth looking at crime reports in the area. And in many cases it's illegal for your realtor to discuss crime rate so it's something you should look up anyway.

I’m partial to trulia’s crime map data

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

gay_crimes posted:

Are wrought iron burglar bars on some houses in an older area I'm looking at a big deal? :words:

What's the location?

There are a ton of homes and apartments around Los Angeles that at first glance you'd think be a bad area and it probably was a few decades ago. Personally, it if were me I would have taken the bars down but no one does :shrug:

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

What's the location?

There are a ton of homes and apartments around Los Angeles that at first glance you'd think be a bad area and it probably was a few decades ago. Personally, it if were me I would have taken the bars down but no one does :shrug:

The area I'm seeing some of the wrought iron bars is a stretch of neighborhoods in San Antonio from King William District/Lavaca neighborhood near downtown up to around the Monte Vista/midtown area, they're older historic areas

esquilax posted:

There's some property crime in the area but it's pretty similar to where I live now, except the houses here are a bit newer and don't have the burglar bars

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

kw0134 posted:

A lot of neighborhoods in NYC still have burglar bars even though the area gentrified and there isn't much crime while yuppie couples get $10 coffees pushing $3k strollers. It definitely depends.

There are whole swaths of LA that are like this. All the old houses, or houses that haven't been updated recently, still have bars on the windows from the 1990s.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Hilariously dumb stupid question,

What's the verdict with buying a home in Miami or New Orleans especially when it comes to flooding, hurricanes including Climate Change? What I want to know, is my Condo or High Rise Apartment going to be swallowed by the ocean in a decade? Any recommended reading on this subject is appreciated but for now I'm just browsing properties that aren't right next to the ocean or canals.

Florida is might be weird, gross and sweaty but it's affordable!

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

What's the verdict with buying a home in Miami or New Orleans especially when it comes to flooding, hurricanes including Climate Change? What I want to know, is my Condo or High Rise Apartment going to be swallowed by the ocean in a decade? Any recommended reading on this subject is appreciated but for now I'm just browsing properties that aren't right next to the ocean or canals.

Florida is might be weird, gross and sweaty but it's affordable!

I mean Do Never Buy is the short answer, but with respect to predicted flood areas I'd suggest googling for flood prediction maps for the area. There has been a ton of work here and almost every city/county/state has a map they've put together that's pretty detailed.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Christopher Flavelle has done some pretty interesting reporting on that, especially around Miami: cities are going to have problems that go far beyond the flood maps.

Miami Will Be Underwater Soon. Its Drinking Water Could Go First posted:

Barring a stupendous reversal in greenhouse gas emissions, the rising Atlantic will cover much of Miami by the end of this century. The economic effects will be devastating: Zillow Inc. estimates that six feet of sea-level rise would put a quarter of Miami’s homes underwater, rendering $200 billion of real estate worthless. But global warming poses a more immediate danger: The permeability that makes the aquifer so easily accessible also makes it vulnerable. “It’s very easy to contaminate our aquifer,” says Rachel Silverstein, executive director of Miami Waterkeeper, a local environmental protection group. And the consequences could be sweeping. “Drinking water supply is always an existential question.”

County officials agree with her. “The minute the world thinks your water supply is in danger, you’ve got a problem,” says James Murley, chief resilience officer for Miami-Dade, although he adds that the county’s water system remains “one of the best” in the U.S. The questions hanging over Miami and the rest of Southeast Florida are how long it can keep its water safe, and at what cost. As the region struggles with more visible climate problems, including increasingly frequent flooding and this summer’s toxic algae blooms, the risks to the aquifer grow, and they’re all the more insidious for being out of sight. If Miami-Dade can’t protect its water supply, whether it can handle the other manifestations of climate change won’t matter.

The Nightmare Scenario for Florida’s Coastal Homeowners: Demand and financing could collapse before the sea consumes a single house. posted:

On a predictably gorgeous South Florida afternoon, Coral Gables Mayor Jim Cason sat in his office overlooking the white-linen restaurants of this affluent seaside community and wondered when climate change would bring it all to an end. He figured it would involve a boat.

When Cason first started worrying about sea-level rise, he asked his staff to count not just how much coastline the city had (47 miles) or value of the property along that coast ($3.5 billion). He also told them to find out how many boats dock inland from the bridges that span the city’s canals (302). What matters, he guessed, will be the first time a mast fails to clear the bottom of one of those bridges because the water level had risen too far.

“These boats are going to be the canary in the mine,” said Cason, who became mayor in 2011 after retiring from the U.S. foreign service. “When the boats can’t go out, the property values go down.”

If property values start to fall, Cason said, banks could stop writing 30-year mortgages for coastal homes, shrinking the pool of able buyers and sending prices lower still. Those properties make up a quarter of the city’s tax base; if that revenue fell, the city would struggle to provide the services that make it such a desirable place to live, causing more sales and another drop in revenue.

And all of that could happen before the rising sea consumes a single home.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

That's exactly my concern even my Condo isn't swallowed by a sinkhole. I suspect my own property values won't do well with all of the other risks even if they don't impact my own property directly but how in the hell do you begin quantifying that risk?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Doesn't Miami have unusually porous coral bedrock? Like, even if you wanted to build a levy around the city and pump water out New Orleans style, the porosity of coral rock is on par with loose gravel, you'd never be able to catch up with the water even during a dry spell, let alone a hurricane

Probably a great place to rent for the next ten years

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

gay_crimes posted:

We bought in a neighborhood where it’s pretty obvious that most houses had the iron bar doors, and occasional bars on windows. Our realtor was pretty adamant that if a neighborhood has these, it’s likely a company or two preyed on the fears of old timers a few decades ago. Anyone buying now typically removes them, and as the neighborhood turns over there are less and less of them.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
https://popula.com/2019/04/02/heaven-or-high-water/

quote:

People say Miami is douchey, but really, I loved almost everything about it, the symmetry of the blue umbrellas on the beach, riding a bike under a canopy of trees, sitting on a wall watching the sunset, definitely not thinking about how sea water might be infiltrating the septic systems behind me. The whole time I was there I was like, yeah, I could see why no one wants to admit how hosed this place is.

That night I went out to dinner with a friend who grew up in Miami, and left for college twenty years ago, never expecting to return. He was in elementary school when Hurricane Andrew hit. He realized that Miami was not going to last forever.

He moved back last year, after years away, and saw that the party was still on, even though perhaps it shouldn’t have been. That said, it was perhaps on for this night, for here we were at Niu Kitchen, downtown, drinking a really good wine from the Languedoc, surrounded by extremely good-looking people, enjoying luxury while discussing the horrors that luxury has visited on the world.

My friend is active in the local civic world, but says he’s skeptical even of the activist discourse around sea level rise. “There’s all this talk about ‘sustainability’ and ‘resilience,’ he said, “and it kind of sounds to me like “what’s the least we can do in order to keep the party going?”

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Nybble posted:

https://popula.com/2019/04/02/heaven-or-high-water/

he said, “and it kind of sounds to me like “what’s the least we can do in order to keep the party going?”

america.txt

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My wife and I toured a house last week and put an offer on it. Asking 659 and we bid 675 with 20k earnest. They provided a preinspection but it was so light that I and my realtor questioned the integrity of it. The house had a lot of non professional diy fixes and upgrades of poor quality which worried me but it looked good and "pinteresty" in photos so it was going to sell. My wife loved it, I was so so. It also needed a new kitchen.

Regardless it didn't matter.

The top bids went to mid 800s with waived inspection, and 200k earnest money released from escrow and non refundable.

Welp. Can't even be upset about missing out when we weren't even in the ballpark

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Just lol at 200k non refundable earnest money on a 659k ask

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

How do you already know what the winning / top bids were? All the listing agents I've dealt with have been tight lipped until closing, in case the deal falls through. I'm in the running for a condo that fell through right now.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Grossly under listing the property only to watch it get bid to the moon is classic San Fransisco

What's the going rate per square foot in that neighborhood? Sounds like you bid ~$500/sq ft and it sold for ~$625

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Would you rather be house poor or rent rich