Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

Hot take: Koromaru was just boring in P3. Like aside from his introduction I don't remember a single interaction with him.

i remember koromaru because

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Endorph posted:

i remember koromaru because

rookie mistake shuji, rookie mistake

It's like you've never been an anime villain before

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ah yes, he did save you from the obviously evil dorm supervisor. That's one point in his favor.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

anakha posted:

Saved at the top floor - now to finish the final boss fight and enjoy the aftermath.

...and, clear.

Almost 71 hours into P4G, and I enjoyed most of it. In comparison to the other game I completed this year to date, I think I liked Valkyria Chronicles 4 a bit more, but I think that mainly came down to having missed playing an sRPG for the longest time.

This was my first foray into the Persona series, and I really liked the Jungian setting and am looking forward to exploring it a bit more with P5R.

What was with that reference to a prior visit by the MC in May that was mentioned during the epilogue?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

anakha posted:

What was with that reference to a prior visit by the MC in May that was mentioned during the epilogue?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esQXF9UGFw0

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The P4G epilogue is kind of funny because a lot of it feels like everyone hasn't seen you since you left, but at the same time, Persona 4 Dancing takes place in April and Arena in May and both are canon so it's really only been a month or so :v:

It's a cute epilogue though and I like it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Can't believe people still hate Yusuke in 2021.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Harrow posted:

This is very much intentional in P5. Everyone at Shujin thinks Joker is some dangerous delinquent and wants nothing to do with him, so nobody invites you to join any clubs or anything like that. The only confidants your age are either party members, outcasts who are even less cool (Mishima), or go to a different school (Hifumi).

It's also intentional because people didn't like the fact that you couldn't advance half your SLs over school breaks.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

anakha posted:

I'm personally on Team Yukiko for P4G. Chie's the plucky girl best friend, Rise's constant 'Senpai!' got grating, and Marie's too weird.

The other options are eh, but special mention to Ayane as a huge HELL NO.

I just played P4G for the first time, went with Yukiko, and regretted it so much. Shes just sooo loving boring. Girl would it kill you to talk about something that isnt the goddamn Amagi Inn

I do feel thats the choice the game nudges you forward too, either her or Rise

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rise is surprisingly alright in her own link, she's a fun girl to date. I literally don't remember what chief's slink even is. She's the biggest gulf in entertainment between her in the story and in her slink.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Rise is surprisingly alright in her own link, she's a fun girl to date. I literally don't remember what chief's slink even is. She's the biggest gulf in entertainment between her in the story and in her slink.

I really hated that Rises s-link is about her going back to being an idol. Girl clearly hates it, she reacts with absolute disgust to anything related to idol life, and seems to genuinely enjoy her small town life. That she goes back because shes jealous of some other idol is sooo dumb

Chies s link was about training with her, and her facing up to some bullies. Kinda boring, but Chie steals the show in so many story scenes that I dont mind

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

babypolis posted:

I really hated that Rises s-link is about her going back to being an idol. Girl clearly hates it, she reacts with absolute disgust to anything related to idol life, and seems to genuinely enjoy her small town life. That she goes back because shes jealous of some other idol is sooo dumb

Chies s link was about training with her, and her facing up to some bullies. Kinda boring, but Chie steals the show in so many story scenes that I dont mind

The major theme of persona 4 is that you should stop rebelling and do what society wants so Rise's s.link tracks. :cheersdoge:

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The major theme of persona 4 is that you should stop rebelling and do what society wants so Rise's s.link tracks. :cheersdoge:

I think if you are being charitable you could say that the theme is about accepting all these different aspect of yourself, and being okay with being different things to different people. So Rise can be a her normal Rise self AND also be Risette. Naoto can be a woman AND a detective. Kanji can be a manly man AND like sewing

But yesh it feels really bad with Rise and Naoto in particular (god did that slink give me the heebie jeebies at times) Yukikos I didnt mind because she clearly loves the loving place and being the manager makes perfect sense for her

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I feel the exact opposite way, rise seems like she needed a vacation and some work life balance and she'd be fine. Yukikko never seemed like she'd be happy just running an in.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't know if it's quite fair to say it's "stop rebelling," though I do think that two of the party member social links (Yukiko and Rise) really trip over that hard. Both of them have roughly the same arc: "I don't want to do the thing; oh no I feel guilty about not doing the thing; I was wrong, I do want to do the thing, but on my terms."

I think a lot of people interpreted Kanji's new look in the P4G epilogue as him conforming but remember what his whole deal is. That punk look was never the real Kanji. It was him adopting this super-macho facade because people thought he was weird for being into "girly" things. Throughout his social link, he finds the courage to be who he really is and finds people who accept and celebrate that side of him. So when we see him in the epilogue looking a lot more conventional, that's not him burying who he really is to conform. He's dropping the tough guy act and being the gentle dude who loves sewing that he is at heart.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Instead, she grew up, changed her name to Ohya, and became a drunken journalist.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Rise's slink is fine. It's basically "I thought I hate this job but I just need a vacation" which you know, same.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Harrow posted:

I don't know if it's quite fair to say it's "stop rebelling," though I do think that two of the party member social links (Yukiko and Rise) really trip over that hard. Both of them have roughly the same arc: "I don't want to do the thing; oh no I feel guilty about not doing the thing; I was wrong, I do want to do the thing, but on my terms."

I think a lot of people interpreted Kanji's new look in the P4G epilogue as him conforming but remember what his whole deal is. That punk look was never the real Kanji. It was him adopting this super-macho facade because people thought he was weird for being into "girly" things. Throughout his social link, he finds the courage to be who he really is and finds people who accept and celebrate that side of him. So when we see him in the epilogue looking a lot more conventional, that's not him burying who he really is to conform. He's dropping the tough guy act and being the gentle dude who loves sewing that he is at heart.

his new look is so lame though

Gaius Marius posted:

I feel the exact opposite way, rise seems like she needed a vacation and some work life balance and she'd be fine. Yukikko never seemed like she'd be happy just running an in.

I dunno Yukiko just never shuts up about the place, she clearly loves the inn and everyone who works there dearly. And she never expresses any strong desire for anything different. It's not like her character has any lofty goals or ambitions that shes leaving behind to run the inn. It seems to me that she only wanted to feel like it was her choice, and not something imposed upon her

babypolis fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 23, 2021

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

So good you mean.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

What ultimately made me pick Yukiko over Rise in my playthrough was the respective turning points in their S-Links.

Yukiko realizing how much she loves the inn and the people in it after being hassled by the tabloid reporter was more relatable than Rise realizing how much she loved being Risette after her agency replaced her with another idol.

At that point, I was only about midway through my S-Link with Naoto and I was already getting weirded out, while Chie's S-Link progression was more like helping a buddy out rather than anything else.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Harrow posted:

The tough guy thing wasn't an act. It eas definitely a part of him but a part he over-emphasized because of social pressure.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

babypolis posted:

Yukikos I didnt mind because she clearly loves the loving place and being the manager makes perfect sense for her

babypolis posted:

I dunno Yukiko just never shuts up about the place, she clearly loves the inn and everyone who works there dearly. And she never expresses any strong desire for anything different. It's not like her character has any lofty goals or ambitions that shes leaving behind to run the inn. It seems to me that she only wanted to feel like it was her choice, and not something imposed upon her

anakha posted:

Yukiko realizing how much she loves the inn and the people in it after being hassled by the tabloid reporter
You know what? Good point. Y'all have actually talked me around on Yukiko's link. If you take her Shadow's rant at face value, she doesn't really care at all about the inn's ancient traditions or its status as the pride of the town. The Amagi Inn, as an object, completely meaningless to her. This does not, in fact, conflict with her realizing that she loves the people around her and what the inn represents for her, personally.

Thanks, y'all. I feel like I understand her character a bit better now.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

anakha posted:

Yukiko realizing how much she loves the inn and the people in it after being hassled by the tabloid reporter was more relatable than Rise realizing how much she loved being Risette after her agency replaced her with another idol.

It's not really that, it's more that she got burned out and felt people only like her for her stage character, not the real her. And then her old manager throws in her face how talented she was right after she said no for the final time, which makes her realize she's done a lot of hard work to get where she was, and realized she may have acted rashly. So now she's burned out and depressed.

None of this gets into just how troubling the whole idol-career is in modern Japan anyway.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
there will never be a game that reflects the real-life idol industry because it's legit too depressing so it's best to just treat it as a cutesy word for actress/singer combo.

edit: same thing as cops; might as well just treat it as "generic justice job" whenever a character says they want to become one.

Tired Moritz fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 23, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The tough guy thing wasn't an act. It eas definitely a part of him but a part he over-emphasized because of social pressure.

Yeah, that's a better way to put it.

PMush Perfect posted:

You know what? Good point. Y'all have actually talked me around on Yukiko's link. If you take her Shadow's rant at face value, she doesn't really care at all about the inn's ancient traditions or its status as the pride of the town. The Amagi Inn, as an object, completely meaningless to her. This does not, in fact, conflict with her realizing that she loves the people around her and what the inn represents for her, personally.

Thanks, y'all. I feel like I understand her character a bit better now.

This is something that I think comes up a lot when talking about Persona 4 characters: taking their Shadows at face value. It's easy to do because the Shadow confrontations are the most dramatic single moments of character development for any of the main party members--what's said there sticks in the mind more easily than anything else. But like BIG FLUFFY DOG pointed out with Kanji, what the Shadow says is only part of what a person feels, and exaggerated to the negative.

Even outside of party members, there are characters like Saki Konishi. She probably didn't hate Yosuke. She probably didn't like him either, at least not the way he liked her, but the complete disdain for Yosuke that we hear from her Shadow's echoes early on is an exaggerated version of just part of what Saki felt. Unfortunately, with Saki, her Shadow gets the last word because she's no longer there to speak for herself.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 23, 2021

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

It's not really that, it's more that she got burned out and felt people only like her for her stage character, not the real her. And then her old manager throws in her face how talented she was right after she said no for the final time, which makes her realize she's done a lot of hard work to get where she was, and realized she may have acted rashly. So now she's burned out and depressed.

None of this gets into just how troubling the whole idol-career is in modern Japan anyway.

When I said I found it less relatable, I was referring to the the idol industry and everything that comes along with it, including the objectification. Recalling her soda commercial at the beginning of the game and realizing after she was introduced as a character that her agency had a 15-year old pose suggestively in a bikini to sell soda was what cemented it for me.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's not like the we can claim we're any better look what we did to Britney

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's funny because P4 spin-offs just over-emphasized Rise's idol part over pretty much anything else. Like several of her moves in P4AU are things like 'Idol Punch!'. Hey, remember that Rise worked in a tofu shop? She knows different kinds of tofu? No? Just another lame cooking joke? Okay....

anakha posted:

At that point, I was only about midway through my S-Link with Naoto and I was already getting weirded out, while Chie's S-Link progression was more like helping a buddy out rather than anything else.

Chie's link itself is kinda boring, but I like her as a romance option the best out of the party members. It's basically a 'wow, I mean, there's a detective prince, an idol, and Yukiko, and you picked me? Of all people? Well I'll do my double best to protect you then' and it's kinda sweet.

With the P5 romances I usually go Ann or Haru, because dang the 'romance or rejection' scenes for both of them are pretty brutal. I usually go Ann because there's a much lower chance of Joker getting axed in his sleep if he accidentally pisses off his girlfriend.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ann's platonic choice would be so much better if they phrased it as "you have all of us" instead of "you have the others" :smith:

I tend to pair Joker and Makoto, if only because they seem like co-leads and I enjoy that dynamic outside of their confidant, but the platonic choice I always feel bad about is with Haru. (Royal spoilers) Also with Sumire. The way she just takes it in stride somehow makes it sting even more.

This romance talk makes me think about how I wish the spin-offs/pseudo-sequels let you carry over that choice, even if only for a couple of lines. Like Strikers has an optional date scene, and the dialogue there always has the girl you go out with act like it's a first date, like she's surprised to be in a romantic situation with Joker. It would've been cool if there'd been like a conversation with Ryuji early on where he asks if you have a girlfriend and if you tell him you're dating one of the Phantom Thieves, he promises to keep it quiet but it changes a few lines later to acknowledge it. It's a super minor thing but it's also one of the only real choices the player gets to make during a Persona game and it'd be cool to see it carry over.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 23, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I haven't gotten far enough in for it to be a thing, but I'm a little confused - I gather that you can rank up your Confidant relations from 1 to 10 and getting to 10 is "A Really Good Thing You Should Always Do"; but are the "romance" options like... a branch of the top-rank or something? Or is it the only way to advance after a certain point with certain people?

I guess to put it another way, I don't have to romance a character to get to their Rank 10 - right? I always find RPG romance tracks...weird. I don't usually feel like mashing school-age characters together like action figures.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 23, 2021

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

No there’s usually an aside that’ll say “you should choose your next words carefully” and it’s usually pretty obvious. Depending on what you pick you’re just really good friends or dating.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

P4 and P5 are nice in that you aren't forced to date your female friends in order to advance their social links. You can if you want to, but it's not required.

P3 on the other hand... hope you like having multiple girlfriends.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Squiggle posted:

I haven't gotten far enough in for it to be a thing, but I'm a little confused - I gather that you can rank up your Confidant relations from 1 to 10 and getting to 10 is "A Really Good Thing You Should Always Do"; but are the "romance" options like... a branch of the top-rank or something? Or is it the only way to advance after a certain point with certain people?

I guess to put it another way, I don't have to romance a character to get to their Rank 10 - right? I always find RPG romance tracks...weird. I don't usually feel like mashing school-age characters together like action figures.

It's usually a choice you make at rank 9, and it is always pointed out as an important choice. You don't have to romance everyone to max every Confidant in Persona 5. Same for Persona 4.

The same cannot be said of Persona 3, where every social link with a girl becomes romantic if you rank up high enough, no matter what, because at the time the creators legitimately didn't believe that boys and girls could just be friends. Seriously. The female protagonist's route in P3 Portable doesn't have the same problem and lets you pick platonic routes for social links with dateable guys, which is very good because one of the boys the game lets you date is, uh... let's just say don't date him.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Squiggle posted:

In the base P3, it's a 'thou will romance to proceed', which is kinda gross since it means that to complete everything you have to make a harem. Thankfully for every game after (and the female route) it gives you the option to choose instead.

Harrow posted:

It's usually a choice you make at rank 9, and it is always pointed out as an important choice. You don't have to romance everyone to max every Confidant in Persona 5. Same for Persona 4.

The same cannot be said of Persona 3, where every social link with a girl becomes romantic if you rank up high enough, no matter what, because at the time the creators legitimately didn't believe that boys and girls could just be friends. Seriously. The female protagonist's route in P3 Portable doesn't have the same problem and lets you pick platonic routes for social links with dateable guys, which is very good because one of the boys the game lets you date is, uh... let's just say don't date him.

It's actually a shame because the link itself is actually pretty nice, but the romance route just kinda sticks out like a glaring sore thumb.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ann - baggage you shouldn't touch with a ten foot pole
Makoto - a cop
Futaba - your baby sister man
Haru - will murder you if you say no, also is rich

Ergo, Haru is the correct choice.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Ann - baggage you shouldn't touch with a ten foot pole
Makoto - a cop
Futaba - your baby sister man
Haru - will murder you if you say no, also is rich

Ergo, Haru is the correct choice.

Of the age-appropriate-for-the-protagonist romance options, there's also Hifumi, the shogi nerd who yells out made-up special attack names as she plays like she's in Yu-Gi-Oh or something

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Oh good, good! Thanks everybody - P4G and P5R are the only ones I have (and am going through 5R first), so I'm glad they don't force the harem-thing like P3.

IT'S A GAME ABOUT FRIENDSHIP

EDIT: Oh, one other question - is "S-Link" just another name for the Confidant rank system, a character's story arc in that system, or is it a particular rank?
Nevermind, re-read the OP and I think I understand! S-Link is the Confidant system is the character's story arc.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 23, 2021

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Harrow posted:

Of the age-appropriate-for-the-protagonist romance options, there's also Hifumi, the shogi nerd who yells out made-up special attack names as she plays like she's in Yu-Gi-Oh or something

Let me date Ryuji darn it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Same but add Yusuke to the list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

I want to believe this was originally an option, especially that scene where Ryuji calls you late at night after your *death* and seems like he wants to pour his heart out to you, then changes his mind and says "um,never mind" and hangs up

Also I stick by Makato because technically she ain't a cop yet and she's an idealistic teenager, so I pretend the antagonist can change her heart at some point. Also I'm totally helping a sketchy former-Yakuza member with his faux weapons-front store do shady poo poo and working at a seedy bar at night so at some point we're gonna have to square that.