Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

huh. figured out the use for the protect X matter/antimatter from annihilation photon upgrade.
The gain 100% of photons upon reset per second graviton upgrade is, naturally, limited by how many photons are gained per second.
Without protecting some matter/antimatter, the number you gain per second drops off fast.
But, keep some matter/antimatter protected, and the number instead keeps going up, in turn making the photons/second upgrade viable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
lol, in Matter Dimensions, they added functionality so everything above your current resource limit shows as "Infinity" (I think it was in a patch anyway).
"You can have Infinite more resources"
"Requires the resource limit of at least Infinite"

Arcanuse posted:

huh. figured out the use for the protect X matter/antimatter from annihilation photon upgrade.
The gain 100% of photons upon reset per second graviton upgrade is, naturally, limited by how many photons are gained per second.
Without protecting some matter/antimatter, the number you gain per second drops off fast.
But, keep some matter/antimatter protected, and the number instead keeps going up, in turn making the photons/second upgrade viable.

Oooh, that makes sense. Have you tried if upgrading the protection gives even more photons?

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Just got to a point where I could check, and I'm pretty sure it does.

Other things:
-The photon protect upgrade also had another use early on when initially getting into gravitons, (antimatter eating your matter production) but it goes by fast.
-Unless the player has a good reason, there should be zero matter generation when the game is left alone for extended periods of time.
--This is to generate big piles of inertia, which with a few upgrades, can really take the edge off runs. Inertia is your friend.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Any opinions when to use which Vacuumic path? And is the amount of space you gain solely determined by your current matter? Doesn't look like my production dropping over time influences space gain at all.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 19, 2021

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

GrossMurpel posted:

Any opinions when to use which Vacuumic path? And is the amount of space you gain solely determined by your current matter? Doesn't look like my production dropping over time influences space gain at all.

At the first branch, I used the left path for faster photons most of the time. Later when you really need to push higher, and especially when you have the study for 13x photons, right path makes more sense.

At the three-way branch, you’re going to do a vacuumic each per path, getting the higher resource caps. So at 1 theorem you get the left one, earn a new study, respec, get the two middle studies, earn another, respec, get the full right path and go from there.

Yeah I think once you hit matter cap, your space gain is pretty static. It’s designed so the space you can gain at each matter cap will allow you to reach another study that expands your matter cap further.

Nibble fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Feb 19, 2021

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Nibble posted:

At the first branch, I used the left path for faster photons most of the time. Later when you really need to push higher, and especially when you have the study for 13x photons, right path makes more sense.

At the three-way branch, you’re going to do a vacuumic each per path, getting the higher resource caps. So at 1 theorem you get the left one, earn a new study, respec, get the two middle studies, earn another, respec, get the full right path and go from there.

Huh, I went for the first rightmost path as soon as I could fill it, since you have to do fewer and fewer photonics each time as you go along.
Makes sense to try and shoot for the resource limits, thanks for the tip.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
does anybody know of any good idle games out there? I used to play Ragnarok Clicker along with my roommate, and we had fun talking about different aspects of the game and strategy. I guess in that way we were playing “together”. We’re both too busy to play actual games, but idle games where half of the fun is talking about them are fine.

Valicious fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 20, 2021

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Valicious posted:

does anybody know of any good idle games out there? I used to play Ragnarok Clicker along with my roommate, and we had fun talking about different aspects of the game and strategy. I guess in that way we were playing “together”. We’re both too busy to play actual games, but idle games where half of the fun is talking about them are fine.

Sounds like Legends of Idleon might be your jam, though it's still in development.

Think of an MMO that you used to play with gathering/crafting and an in-game economy, where inevitably you would just end up creating characters with each skill to trade with yourself so you didn't have to rely on that economy. Now take out that inter-player economy, add limited character slots per account with AFK farming while logged out, and you have an idler that plays like an MMO you were progressing in on your own.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 20, 2021

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

zzMisc posted:

Sounds like Legends of Idleon might be your jam, though it's still in development.

Think of an MMO that you used to play with gathering/crafting and an in-game economy, where inevitably you would just end up creating characters with each skill to trade with yourself so you didn't have to rely on that economy. Now take out that inter-player economy, add limited character slots per account with AFK farming while logged out, and you have an idler that plays like an MMO you were progressing in on your own.

Speaking of Idelon, there is a massive content patch dropping tonight, hopefully in a few hours, that adds guilds, among other things.

I will warn that as content continues to get added it is definitely becoming less and less of an idle game and more of a legit mmo that you play constantly active, although it can certainly be played idle if you really want to?

It is very fun though and has a lot of "number go up" mechanics to satisfy min-maxers and casual players alike.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

postmodifier posted:

Speaking of Idelon, there is a massive content patch dropping tonight, hopefully in a few hours, that adds guilds, among other things.

I will warn that as content continues to get added it is definitely becoming less and less of an idle game and more of a legit mmo that you play constantly active, although it can certainly be played idle if you really want to?

It is very fun though and has a lot of "number go up" mechanics to satisfy min-maxers and casual players alike.

I might have to check it out again, I blew through a lot of the content in the first week or two and haven't come back but it sounds like there's been some alright developments in the last few patches.

Edit: Oh god all of my characters have a fuckton of levels and there's loot all over the floor D:

explosivo fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 21, 2021

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

explosivo posted:

I might have to check it out again, I blew through a lot of the content in the first week or two and haven't come back but it sounds like there's been some alright developments in the last few patches.

Edit: Oh god all of my characters have a fuckton of levels and there's loot all over the floor D:

I haven't touched my characters in 3 weeks myself and I'm not looking forward to that cleanup :shepface:

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

zzMisc posted:

I tried it out and wow is it hard to read. I’m playing on my iPad, but the keyboard won’t pop up when needing to type a name during character creation. It’s funny how little things like that can prevent one from playing.
Any other ideas?

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.
re: Legends of Idelon

guilds launched, but they have a pretty low player cap, 34 people maximum (for now, maybe?)

but if you are active and playing I am happy to take you in, just search for "pizza is free" and request an invite

it's a discord inside joke but we got some serious firepower and you'll be happy there I guess

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

postmodifier posted:

guilds launched, but they have a pretty low player cap, 34 people maximum (for now, maybe?)

but if you are active and playing I am happy to take you in, just search for "pizza is free" and request an invite

it's a discord inside joke but we got some serious firepower and you'll be happy there I guess

Iirc the planned max-maximum is 150, according to the notes at least? I might start playing again, I kinda quit after getting all my dudes to advanced classes

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

postmodifier posted:

Do I have to join with all my characters or is it account wide?

Also, I joined with a character that wasn't my highest levelled, does that matter?

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I checked out Idleon the day it came out and it didn't really stick, but if they've made improvements I'd like to give it a try again.

Is there a decent beginner guide anywhere?

Edit: Apparently I have like 96 days of offline wood chopping experience and now have 26 talent points, if anyone has suggestions on what to spend them on. I barely remember anything from the 10 min I played of this at launch but it seems like a waste to start over, unless 26 is a very small amount of points.

Aerox fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 21, 2021

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.
shot myself in the foot there, guild cap increases pretty fast the more people that join, so bigger guilds get bigger faster

we're almost up to 50 people but there's plenty of room to keep taking invites, and yes it's account wide so it doesn't matter which character you join on - again if you're interested just search "pizza is free" in the guild tab and I'll happily take you since there's room for about 100 more as we keep growing

there's a really lovely in-app guild chat that you can use to ask basic questions, but for more complex stuff like build advice I really either recommending stopping by the discord (for which there's a link in the options tab) or checking out the wiki for the game which is run by some pretty solid people and has good advice????

anyway keep clicking that request button, we're way outpacing even some of the big whales at the moment who thought they would dominate this dumb garbage, goon supremacy

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Goddamnit really? I finally beat Boss 301, but I need to actually kill the beast to progress?

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I joined the guild last night but it looks like I got booted out already?

Mr. Horyd
Jul 17, 2001

REDHEADS WILL BE MY DOWNFALL!
Long time goon, happy to have a reason to be back. I'm just starting to farm Sandcastles with my primary, so I hope I'll be able to contribute.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

oh no now i have to spend a bajillion exp if i want to upgrade resource 3

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

postmodifier posted:

shot myself in the foot there, guild cap increases pretty fast the more people that join, so bigger guilds get bigger faster

we're almost up to 50 people but there's plenty of room to keep taking invites, and yes it's account wide so it doesn't matter which character you join on - again if you're interested just search "pizza is free" in the guild tab and I'll happily take you since there's room for about 100 more as we keep growing

there's a really lovely in-app guild chat that you can use to ask basic questions, but for more complex stuff like build advice I really either recommending stopping by the discord (for which there's a link in the options tab) or checking out the wiki for the game which is run by some pretty solid people and has good advice????

anyway keep clicking that request button, we're way outpacing even some of the big whales at the moment who thought they would dominate this dumb garbage, goon supremacy

Do you have to be in a particular world to be part of the guild? I submitted a guild request but hard to tell if it went through since it's kind of a black box process.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Finally broke past the 1 PP per kill barrier in NGU and it feels good

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Fargin Icehole posted:

Goddamnit really? I finally beat Boss 301, but I need to actually kill the beast to progress?

Yep, v4.

Same will be true of the last Evil titan too.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Fargin Icehole posted:

What's your total EXP earned?

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.

Aerox posted:

I joined the guild last night but it looks like I got booted out already?

There was a lot of shuffling in the first day of release unfortunately, because of how guild xp ended up working, but the membership cap is pretty comfortable now so send another request!

'pizza is free' for any other Idelon players who want a guild.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Pro tip to any Idle On players looking to get the secret 7th class: start saving your hot dogs now.

It takes like a jillion peanuts to do the quest line and it takes multiple days of cleaning out the vendors to get them all.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.

Lone Goat posted:

Pro tip to any Idle On players looking to get the secret 7th class: start saving your hot dogs now.

It takes like a jillion peanuts to do the quest line and it takes multiple days of cleaning out the vendors to get them all.

But also dont rush into taking it, it's missing the third stage of evolution that the other classes all have, and is best used right now to farm low-level drops to feed your higher-level regular classes.

You should be buying hotdogs every day, but you have time stilll.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Incremental Epic Hero has appeared on Steam, along with a big update. This is the first time I've ever heard of it, but apparently it had been out for a long time on Kongregate before it released on Steam. From what little I've played, it seems to be a keeper.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 23, 2021

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Blattdorf posted:

Incremental Epic Hero has appeared on Steam, along with a big update. This is the first time I've ever heard of it, but apparently it had been out for a long time on Kongregate before it released on Steam. From what little I've played, it seems to be a keeper.

Hey, I played this back on Kongregate before it died. It's definitely worth a try.
Always felt kinda bad for these devs releasing their game on kongregate like a month before the shut down message.

Edit: If I remember correctly (and they haven't changed it), start as angel, as they get a really good farming skill you can transfer to the other characters
Edit2: Or warrior. I only remember that you should never start as mage

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 23, 2021

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Unless they changed it you can and should save scum your daily quests for better rewards, by exporting your save shortly before midnight. The variance on them is huge and the odds of getting good ones early on are really bad, which can set you back weeks on some pretty vital upgrades.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah, starting as a mage sucks because their skills aren't bad, but they're pretty slow and they either need a ton of speed or multiple skill slots to truly make use of them. If you go Angel first you can just rely on the Angel's Wing Shoot as a nice, consistent magic attack.

It's a good game. Probably the worst I can say about it is that capturing sucks but you eventually get the ability to auto-capture, so it's kind of a moot point anyways.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mage just has nothing actually useful while fighter can face tank through practically the first boss on an initial run and angel is stupid fast. And then later on it's all about fighter's buzzsaw skill because mage skills cost too much mana and take ages to cast.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 24, 2021

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I do think once you get your speed high enough, mage can deal better AoE when you're firing off all 3 Tier 3 spells.

...Which really doesn't make up for their squishiness or lack of single target damage really.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

At the point I left off (zone 6-6 appears to be my wall, but I have slime challenge boss unlocked) all that matters is spamming charge swing with slime stick equipped. Nothing else comes close to doing damage.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 24, 2021

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Do you really need to save scum? Honestly that's going to be the difference between a download and a pass for me.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

big cummers ONLY posted:

Do you really need to save scum? Honestly that's going to be the difference between a download and a pass for me.

You don't need to but it can greatly speed up getting qol upgrades out of the cash shop. Normally you get 50 points in the cash shop from a daily, save scum for a few minutes and you can get 250 or more. everything costs thousands, tho.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 24, 2021

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
If you're going to go through the effort of save scumming you might as well just crash course cheat engine and use that to give yourself whatever funny currency the game wants.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rynoto posted:

If you're going to go through the effort of save scumming you might as well just crash course cheat engine and use that to give yourself whatever funny currency the game wants.

It's kind of annoying to cheat engine since it doesn't actually store your total anywhere, instead pooling it from the dozens of places where you get a tiny amount of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

For what it's worth I've never savescummed that and I think the game still feels fine, you aren't super dependent on Epic Coins for progress or anything. There is some good QoL stuff in there though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯