Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Trabisnikof posted:

the nazi kiddy consentration camps were run by their health departments too

first as tragedy second as farce

crack ping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hashtag has some gold in it

https://twitter.com/leftcoastbabe/status/1364259223937421316

whoa she said something bad about a conservative once? give her a high-paying job this millisecond

https://twitter.com/tweetMalena/status/1364239212631838723

graphic design is my passion

https://twitter.com/NihilisticGOP/status/1364258860387635202

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

didn't Trump impose the limit because the cages got too much bad publicity
https://twitter.com/SportsNom/status/1364183040973561856?s=20

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

"I don't understand why this confirmation vote failed, I photoshopped all those adjectives next to a picture of her and everything"

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

spacemang_spliff posted:

why exactly is health and human services running "facilities"
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/u-s-reopens-texas-tent-facility-to-hold-immigrant-teenagers

quote:

HHS operates long-term facilities for immigrant children apprehended by the Border Patrol. Its 7,100 beds are almost entirely full, leading the agency to re-open Carrizo Springs. Meanwhile, around 700 children are being held by Border Patrol, which has reopened a tent facility in South Texas and otherwise holds immigrants in stations unequipped to detain children. The Border Patrol’s McAllen Processing Center — where images of detained immigrants were shared worldwide when the Trump administration separated families — is closed for renovations that will remove large cages formed by chain-link fencing.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

here are some jokes as a cleanser

https://twitter.com/KindaHagi/status/1364298333410500609

https://twitter.com/battymamzelle/status/1364299314923671552

https://twitter.com/GMPaiella/status/1364299512454524932

https://twitter.com/BrotiGupta/status/1364300249016147971

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I believe you lied about my fit on national TV?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Majorian posted:

It is frowned upon to probate people you’re arguing with directly, I’m afraid.

is it frowned on to probate nazis and white supremacists if you're arguing with them?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Sarah Huckabee was visibly shook answering questions kids in cages, caused her to cancel briefings for months, and led to her eventual departure. meanwhile, jen psaki is leaning into it.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

good job bernie, but it probably means he’s safely passing and they don't need his vote

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1364300864836554754?s=21

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Reality Protester posted:

is it frowned on to probate nazis and white supremacists if you're arguing with them?

I'm honest to god surprised they've let him stay on as long as he has. Let's not give the QCS crew any ammunition they won't invent on their own.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Sarah Huckabee was visibly shook answering questions kids in cages, caused her to cancel briefings for months, and led to her eventual departure. meanwhile, jen psaki is leaning into it.

Hahahaha lesser visible evil

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Considering the subforum the answer is almost definitely an unironic yes

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
https://twitter.com/politico/status/1364209691539169285?s=19

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

READ ANOTHER BOOK

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/tweetMalena/status/1364239212631838723?s=20

Why does FEMALE not blink?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

it's me, I'm the Politico reader that is too dim to understand the concept of antagonism without a Harry Potter reference

it's code that that's the only one that's accurate :v:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Under Republicans, the cruelty is the point.

Under Democrats, the cruelty is just an unfortunate side effect that we can't do anything about. Vote!

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Cruelty is always the point

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"What else do you suggest they do?"

Let the kids go where they were planning to go in the first place. Drive them there, make sure it's safe, and let them be. If they had no plans or connections or the situation is unsafe? Assign them a case worker and put them up in a hotel room until they can be found an appropriate foster home or adoptive parents.

Doing this humanely is extremely loving easy and we have the resources.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Fister Roboto posted:

Under Republicans, the cruelty is the point.

Under Democrats, the cruelty is just an unfortunate side effect that we can't do anything about. Vote!

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMeYSbjMs/

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Dolphin posted:

I think you'll find doing good things is extremely hard and near impossible, unfortunately the only other option is to be turbo evil until good can be invented.

Soon now, just gotta kill some time being as evil as possible.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Salean posted:

could we test these childrens means before putting them in the nice new camp? i dont think its fair that well off refugees get even more government handouts

cages are the only thing democrats will NOT settle for getting you "access" to - you're going in whether you want to or not, you loving scumbag

vote for us in 2022

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

what do you not trust Baptist Child and Family Services???

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Excelzior posted:

cages are the only thing democrats will NOT settle for getting you "access" to - you're going in whether you want to or not, you loving scumbag

vote for us in 2022

means-tested access to freedom is good, actually

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/alizaslav/status/1364299369999175688

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1364306184988155904

She's so loving weird.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Dolphin posted:

"What else do you suggest they do?"

Let the kids go where they were planning to go in the first place. Drive them there, make sure it's safe, and let them be. If they had no plans or connections or the situation is unsafe? Assign them a case worker and put them up in a hotel room until they can be found an appropriate foster home or adoptive parents.

My boomer mother thinks putting kids in cages is good if it deters people from coming and doesn't understand how any good parent would risk that fate for their kid. Thus those kids are all from awful households and the cages are a step up.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

The screen just says "In call: Jeff Bezos"

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

It’s a jelly bean phone with masking tape and “the baileys” scribbled on it.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Majorian posted:

It’s a jelly bean phone with masking tape and “the baileys” scribbled on it.

:hmmyes:

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Complications posted:

My boomer mother thinks putting kids in cages is good if it deters people from coming and doesn't understand how any good parent would risk that fate for their kid. Thus those kids are all from awful households and the cages are a step up.

This was also the outright stated policy of the Obama administration and seems to be where Biden’s is headed. Sounds like your mom’s got a future in politics!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
it's now canon that the baileys all have RAZRs

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

spacemang_spliff posted:

I love to have the same exact arguments with both chuds and libs

their entire problem with Trump detaining kids was that trump did it. that's it. that's the entirety of their problem with it.

well you see, idiot moron childe, there is good guys and there is bad guys. would good guys do bad thing??

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

big money in running Kindererziehungslager:

quote:

https://time.com/3066459/unaccompanied-minor-immigration-border/
August 4, 2014

Kevin Dinnin is the CEO of a faith-based, nonprofit organization called BCFS, formerly known as Baptist Child and Family Services. This obscure charity has emerged as one of the biggest players in the federal government’s response to the influx of more than 57,000 unaccompanied children who have trudged across the southern border so far this year. It runs two of the largest facilities for temporarily housing immigrant children, as well as six permanent shelters in California and Texas. Since December, BCFS has received more than $280 million in federal grants to operate these shelters, according to government records. On July 7, two days before Dinnin met Obama in Dallas, the Department of Health and Human Services awarded BCFS $190,707,505 in a single grant.
BCFS began in 1944 as a home for orphaned children. In recent years, a sleepy San Antonio–based charity grew into a global nonprofit with regional offices around the U.S., as well as in Southeast Asia, Eastern Europe and Africa. On contract for the federal government, it has provided temporary shelter and emergency services in the wake of natural disasters ranging from Texas hurricanes to Haitian earthquakes. When the state needed to relocate the members of a Texas polygamous sect in 2008, it turned to BCFS, which provided emergency housing. The current crisis is the largest and longest response BCFS has ever faced. It has deployed some 1,400 personnel to manage the temporary shelters this year.

For BCFS executives, the work can be lucrative. According to federal tax records, Dinnin received nearly $450,000 in compensation in 2012. At least four other top officials earned more than $200,000. The median salary for the CEOs of nonprofit organizations like BCFS was about $285,000 in 2011, according to a 2013 survey by Charity Navigator.

The salaries, BCFS spokeswoman Krista Piferrer says, are determined by factors in the group’s contract with HHS. When disaster situations strike, a crisis pay scale replaces a regular one to account for extended 12-hour shifts in two-to-three-week stints. In 2012, an influx of children at the border required an emergency response, according to Piferrer. “It is similar to making an appointment to see a primary-care physician vs. going to the emergency room,” she says. “The emergency room is more expensive.”

The federal grant money for sheltering unaccompanied children, provided by HHS’s Administration for Children and Families, has so far totaled $671 million during the 2014 fiscal year. BCFS has received 40% of those funds, making it the largest recipient of money disbursed to contractors to temporarily house unaccompanied children until they can be reunited with family members or placed in foster care. Dozens of other organizations are involved in the effort, including Southwest Key Programs, Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service, and the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops.

BCFS is responsible for running two of the three temporary facilities recently set up to house large numbers of undocumented children apprehended by federal agents. One is at the Department of Defense’s Joint Base Lackland, in BCFS’s home city of San Antonio. Lackland is currently housing more than 700 children and has processed more than 3,600 overall since opening in May, says Kenneth Wolfe, an HHS spokesman. Another is Oklahoma’s Fort Sill, which is currently holding about 400 children and has discharged nearly 1,500 to date. Children stay at these facilities for an average of less than 35 days while the government works to find a family member with whom to place them. Because they are temporary shelters, some journalists, faith leaders, members of Congress and foreign dignitaries have been allowed into the facilities at Lackland and Fort Sill. Both facilities are expected to close by the end of August.

These facilities make up just a fraction of the extensive network in place to house child migrants. The Office of Refugee Resettlement’s Unaccompanied Alien Children program (UAC) has been given custody of more than 53,000 children over the past several months. The majority have been cycled through this network of about 100 smaller, permanent facilities, scattered across 14 U.S. states.

Unlike the temporary shelters, the permanent facilities are largely inaccessible to media and the taxpayers that fund them. Their locations are not officially disclosed, and they are “generally unnamed or unmarked,” according to Wolfe. Contractors are prohibited from speaking with the media without permission, BCFS says. As a result, it’s hard to gauge the conditions under which thousands of children are being held, or to assess whether taxpayer money is being well spent.

Wolfe, the HHS spokesman, says the secrecy stems from federal policy designed to protect the children’s privacy and ensure their safety. “We don’t identify the permanent facilities for the security of the children and the staff and the program,” he says. “Like any grant, we have federal staff assigned to oversight.”

this is the same "non-profit" profiting off the tent camp if you forgot:

quote:

The Tornillo tent city was a temporary immigrant detention facility for children located in Tornillo, Texas and operated by BCFS on behalf of the Department of Health and Human Services' Office of Refugee Resettlement. The Department termed it an "emergency influx care facility" and named it the Tornillo Influx Facility.[1] When it was built in June 2018, the capacity was 400 minor immigrants with a one month contract.[2] It was later expanded to a capacity of 4,000 minors. As many as 2,800 teenagers were held at the site before its closure was announced in January 2019. This made it one of the largest facilities in ORR's Unaccompanied Alien Children Program. All immigrant children had left the facility by January 11, 2019.[3] Nearly 6,200 minors cycled through the facility within the seven months it operated.[4] The area was previously used for a few months in 2016 to process migrant families and unaccompanied minors.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!

Crazypoops posted:

Cruelty is always the point

When talking about conservative politicians, my mom (living on disability income) has terminal lib brain but it's nice once in a while when she says stuff to me like "I'm starting to think you're right when you say cruelty is the point because I can't fathom any other reason why they treat us like this" when talking about how those in power treat poor and disabled people.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Kid cages wouldn't exist if we quit loving up latin america.