Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Convex posted:

Also have been looking through some old PC Review magazine scans and came across this:

I'd forgotten about the moustache tbh
Those screenshots are of the first SimCity, and for some reason SimAnt, not SC2000.

More evidence of Ken's historical antsimulation?

e: There are exactly 126 crossing points among the diagonals of a regular nonagon.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Failed Imagineer posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn't know this was happening so thanks.

Saw them in Edinburgh doing their Atomic live show with all the visuals back when that came out, and it was one of the more transcendent bits of live music I've ever experienced.

Rock Action was also the album that guided me through the end of secondary school, and helped me not study for finals. Will be spinning this all weekend

I saw them at Supersonic Festival in Birmingham in 2007. And now I've just discovered there's a bootleg of the show on Youtube so that's exciting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDmo4QTvc_w

Were such a fantastic live band. It's beautiful & as you say transcendent but also heavy and love them a lot.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

Those screenshots are of the first SimCity, and for some reason SimAnt, not SC2000.

More evidence of Ken's historical antsimulation?

e: There are exactly 126 crossing points among the diagonals of a regular nonagon.

I wondered that. But it seems sc2000 hadn't been released at the time so I guess they didn't have an sc2000 screenshot to hand??

1994 was a strange time

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Never trust any "Best Album of the 90s" list that doesn't prominently feature Young Team.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Never trust any "Best Album of the 90s" list that doesn't prominently feature Young Team.

:hmmyes:

E: btw people who like Mogwai and GYBE and all that should also check out Dublin's The Jimmy Cake, and The Redneck Manifesto

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 23, 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Can confirm, Rolling Stone's Top 100 Albums of the 90s list doesn't have Young Team on it & has multiple U2 records. And albums by Bob Dylan & The Rolling Stones. loving poo poo magazine.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

forkboy84 posted:

I saw them at Supersonic Festival in Birmingham in 2007. And now I've just discovered there's a bootleg of the show on Youtube so that's exciting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDmo4QTvc_w

Were such a fantastic live band. It's beautiful & as you say transcendent but also heavy and love them a lot.

I went to Supersonic in 2006, that was a cool festival that I thought nobody else had ever heard of (though apparently it's still going so it must have some following). Saw Michael Gira, Isis, High on Fire, Thrones, Justin Broadrick and I don't even recall all who else. Couldn't afford a hotel so we slept in the park one night and next to the merch stands another.

Thanks for the heads up on the new Mogwai!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

big scary monsters posted:

I went to Supersonic in 2006, that was a cool festival that I thought nobody else had ever heard of (though apparently it's still going so it must have some following). Saw Michael Gira, Isis, High on Fire, Thrones, Justin Broadrick and I don't even recall all who else. Couldn't afford a hotel so we slept in the park one night and next to the merch stands another.

Thanks for the heads up on the new Mogwai!

I missed my granny's funeral to go to Supersonic '08. Genuinely the most pleasant festival experience I've ever had, just such an interesting selection of bands, incredibly chill atmosphere, in a great venue.

Far as I remember I ended up in a Eurohotel halfway across Brum, shared with my cousin & it was about £20 a night. Even paying for a minicab on the way back it was far cheaper than anywhere else.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://twitter.com/CllrAnnaRothery/status/1364251466031108097

Shes not going to stand for the NIP, shes just going to sue them instead. Best decision imo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah, hopefully that at least forces them to make public the reason.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

forkboy84 posted:

I missed my granny's funeral to go to Supersonic '08. Genuinely the most pleasant festival experience I've ever had, just such an interesting selection of bands, incredibly chill atmosphere, in a great venue.

Far as I remember I ended up in a Eurohotel halfway across Brum, shared with my cousin & it was about £20 a night. Even paying for a minicab on the way back it was far cheaper than anywhere else.

Yeah, it had a really nice feel, reminded me of this community social centre/arts & music venue I went to sometimes at uni that used to put on these bizarre shows with BYOB or tinnies sold out of multipacks and cheap vegan food. I saw Bong play there before they'd released anything, playing between a couple harsh noise acts. Long since closed due to licensing issues (maybe not so surprising given the above), and surely nothing to do with the expensive new flats being developed nearby. Temples Festival in Bristol had a bit of that vibe, though on a larger scale. Sad that that all ended badly, I went in 2015 and it was fantastic.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

https://twitter.com/CllrAnnaRothery/status/1364251466031108097

Shes not going to stand for the NIP, shes just going to sue them instead. Best decision imo.

I dunno, what’s going to come of it? They’re never going to let her stand for any position of significance anyway whether she wins or not.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

labour are going to go bankrupt before the next election arnt they

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Noxville posted:

I dunno, what’s going to come of it? They’re never going to let her stand for any position of significance anyway whether she wins or not.

Standing for the NIP gets her kicked out of the party and they never have to explain why they've done it.

Putting this through the courts makes it a matter of public record, and keeps it in the news longer.

Jel Shaker posted:

They're still saying they've got about 500,000 members, however given that you stay on the books for 6+ months when you've stopped paying your direct debit i very much doubt how true that is.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/UKDemockery/status/1364263555575513090?s=20

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The Real Thing by Faith No More is the best - or at least most - 90s album despite coming out in 1989.

e: Now I think of it, the other definitive 90s album, Doolittle, *also* came out in 1989. What even is time?

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 23, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Convex posted:

I'd forgotten about the moustache tbh

Conversely, I'm always surprised that he doesn't have one now.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yes, a toothbrush one.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Yes, a toothbrush one.

I was trying to come up with a clever way of saying that but meh

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

What even is time?
It's a well known fact that the 1990s ran from at least November 9th 1989 to September 10th 2001, when history remembered that it hadn't actually ended.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Ken is a dumb shithead who said anti-semitic things and doesn't know when to shut up and apologise but he isn't fash, that's unfair.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

It's a well known fact that the 1990s ran from at least November 9th 1989 to September 10th 2001, when history remembered that it hadn't actually ended.

Actually I think at one point I dated the Cultural 90s as running from the first episode of Seinfeld (mid 89) to the last episode of Friends (mid 04), but on reflection the 12 good seasons of The Simpsons are actually a better match both culturally and chronologically.

I've never thought of the British equivalent start and end points but I feel like Red Dwarf to The Office is in the right area?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
anna rotherly or whatever is bound to be massively corrupt but in the slightly wrong way. Who cares.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jel Shaker posted:

I don't know why I'm still surprised at each new spectacularly self-defeating step the leadership are taking.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

12 good seasons of The Simpsons

hmm

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Brown Moses is a CIA nonce you say? Who could have predicted it.

https://twitter.com/aaronjmate/status/1364285746757173249

Edit: also lol Twitter now posting "This may have been obtained through hacking" as if that's a disqualifier.

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 23, 2021

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

How many intelligence asset SA mods does that make now?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Is that red warning about the materials may have been obtained through hacking supposed to make it seem less authentic or double super authentic because it was essentially stolen?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Less authentic if you're liberal brainwormed.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Edit: also lol Twitter now posting "This may have been obtained through hacking" as if that's a disqualifier.

the "i'm upset i was caught" of twitter caveats

edit: actually no it's more of a "how dare you reveal my cuntery via spying, you're the bad one here"

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Jose, hit the BM button.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Gonzo McFee posted:

Brown Moses is a CIA nonce you say? Who could have predicted it.

https://twitter.com/aaronjmate/status/1364285746757173249

would love to see what they would have labelled the pentagon papers

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've never thought of the British equivalent start and end points but I feel like Red Dwarf to The Office is in the right area?
I want to say that anything that's really part of Only Fools and Horses is definitely the 80s, and anything that's really part of Coupling is definitely the 00s, but that's more cultural 90s by omission.

Start of Bottom through to Paradiso definitely says something cultural about Britain in the 90s.

OwlFancier posted:

This just makes me wonder how they think you're supposed to find evidence of state level malfeasance. Wait 50 years until it's half-arsedly unsealed? Brave right-sort-of-whistleblowers? Wait no it's FOIA requests isn't it lol?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Guavanaut posted:

This just makes me wonder how they think you're supposed to find evidence of state level malfeasance.

You're not. If we all act nice and polite to each other (in public) everything is supposed to work out (for the people who matter).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Eh, I know some people claim it's 8 (and real sickos claim it went to poo poo the moment they moved the animation to Korea) but for me season 12 is definitely the point where it went off the boil.

As a general aside I always find that the complaints people have about seasons 8-12 or so actually apply considerably more to their alleged golden age (too many shoehorned-in cameos, Homer being really dumb, too much reliance on pop-culture references). Mind you That 90s Show remains my favourite episode because of just how angry it makes that sort of person so my opinion is as always mostly spite-based.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Guavanaut posted:

This just makes me wonder how they think you're supposed to find evidence of state level malfeasance. Wait 50 years until it's half-arsedly unsealed? Brave right-sort-of-whistleblowers? Wait no it's FOIA requests isn't it lol?

"When a state does it, it isn't malfeasance." - What liberals believe, probably.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

serious gaylord posted:

They're still saying they've got about 500,000 members, however given that you stay on the books for 6+ months when you've stopped paying your direct debit i very much doubt how true that is.

Maybe Labour's taking the same approach to membership that that one oval office who never checked the dedicated inbox for anti-semitism complaints did.

Some sort of 'Schrödinger's workload' thing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Genuinely you're not supposed to, I think, at least not when it's directed at/by the right people.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
my posting is cia funded. theyll fund anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

OwlFancier posted:

When you find the smoking gun, but sensibly put it back where you found it, having carefully wiped off the fingerprints and plugged in an Air Wick :decorum: