Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My head unit has an option to connect it to a wifi hotspot to get sports scores, weather and Alexa functionality but you cant use the phone as the hotspot and use wireless carplay. theres a phone app too that lets you customise the Pioneer UI offline then upload the settings to the head unit, update the firmware etc.

I am assuming that cars having built-in cell service is a USA thing with like Onstar and poo poo? its not a thing in Australia at all so those features are totally useless.

I was thinking of getting a cheap usb powered wifi hotspot but none of the features that need the head unit to have internet access work within the carplay UI, it doesnt support any of my local sports teams and the weather stuff is on my phone anyway?

what is more important to me is making the head unit launch carplay at startup which does not seem to be possible. for an $800 device the lag induced by pressing the menu button then selecting carplay is about 7 seconds start to finish and the input lag on the touch interface while doing that is so lovely that its annoying.

suck it up head unit manufacturers, carplay is the future. no one wants your lovely ancient linux distro head unit software any more. just make hardware that talks to the phone and spend the money on the screen quality, DAC/AMP in the unit and a decently snappy SoC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Laserface posted:

edit: wireless carplay adapters/dongles are a scam. They work, but the GPS antenna is killing your battery life.

wireless carplay head units have a GPS antenna and they feed the data back to the phone to manage the routing.

To say "they work" is also a real stretch, I tried one of the dongles and I clearly got reeled in by a bunch of fake reviews.

It took a tediously long time for CarPlay to get up and running, because my car had to sync to the dongle and then for the dongle to sync to the phone. The steering wheel controls were laggy. It would also just randomly crash out and freeze the head unit, to where getting it un-wedged meant cycling the ignition on the car.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
Is anyone else getting a weird bug where you get an SMS notification minutes after you've already seen it and read it? I also think there are times where it doesn't send me a notification at all, but I haven't been able to confirm that

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

neosloth posted:

Is anyone else getting a weird bug where you get an SMS notification minutes after you've already seen it and read it? I also think there are times where it doesn't send me a notification at all, but I haven't been able to confirm that

There's definitely been no notifactions at times since iOS 14 or so

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

kitten smoothie posted:

To say "they work" is also a real stretch, I tried one of the dongles and I clearly got reeled in by a bunch of fake reviews.

It took a tediously long time for CarPlay to get up and running, because my car had to sync to the dongle and then for the dongle to sync to the phone. The steering wheel controls were laggy. It would also just randomly crash out and freeze the head unit, to where getting it un-wedged meant cycling the ignition on the car.

that loving sucks. I hope they get better if apple is going to do away with the charging/data port entirely

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

neosloth posted:

The main thing I think I notice is no/bad syncing between watch and phone for SMS/green bubbles. i.e. The watch notification triggers, I read the SMS on my phone, but then the watch doesn’t get the memo that it’s been read so it triggers again since I have message “repeat alerts” enabled.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

green bubble messages sometimes dont give me a notification/badge since i got my 12 (so proabbly iOS 14)

hosed up several dates I had planned because the person thought I wasnt that into her because i didnt respond as I didnt even know I had the message until 6 hours later.

thanks tim apple.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

neosloth posted:

Here's my lovely SMS bug: I get notification on my lockscreen of an incoming message and since I'm busy I just glance at it and partially read the message. Later when I open Messages, the message is not there.

MUCH later (sometimes hours) the message loads.

There is also a vast discrepency between messages on my iphone and my macbook pro (ever since Big Sur and iOS 14) where the messages won't load on my MBP for sometimes hours. It's loving maddening since I rely on going back and forth between the two.

edit: this is not simply a problem with non-iMessage SMS, but all SMS that come in.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Laserface posted:

green bubble messages sometimes dont give me a notification/badge since i got my 12 (so proabbly iOS 14)

hosed up several dates I had planned because the person thought I wasnt that into her because i didnt respond as I didnt even know I had the message until 6 hours later.

thanks tim apple.

That’s a bullet dodged, my friend.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Laserface posted:

thanks tim apple.

Do you really want to date an Android user? No thanks!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

TheWevel posted:

I would like to at least get to the first date to find out i dont want to date them since we hit it off well enough on tinder but this isnt the dating app thread so I will just say 'gently caress the notification bug in messages iOS 14.'

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

TheWevel posted:

I hear those android phones do weird poo poo like beep when you get a text message :barf:

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
Holy crap. I received a pair of AirPods Pro as a gift a while back and they quickly became my go-to for podcasts and audiobooks in particular (which I listen to daily / while doing every chore).

I remember using the Active Noise Cancellation features at first and thinking they were pretty cool and worked well but eventually long settled on "Off" 100% of the time as it started to seem like my lifestyle of long hair and hats and things was causing them to fritz out. I did notice that I still got some weird crackles and feedback and stuff when first putting the pods in, as they seem to use ANC tech briefly during that time even when ANC is turned off.

I recently caught wind of the recall program and was like "hey, new AirPods would be nice and I do experience crackles sometimes so I have a good argument here even though I'm not 100% sure my issue matches the official description of the problem" and went through the (rather comprehensive) 20 minute support chat experience which ended in them overnighting me a replacement pair. Turning ANC on and testing during the support diagnostic script did indeed lead to a cracklefest for me. That said, I honestly wasn't super hopeful about the replacements here as I had been figuring ANC had just not been designed for things like thick hair constantly brushing against the pods and their mics.

But, huzzah, the replacements came in today and it's night and day. I can turn on the ANC stuff without a constant barrage of high-gain hair crackles. I can even, like, tap on them with my finger and stuff and it's not obnoxious. Cool!

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I’ve been thinking about getting the AirPods Pro, but I think I’m going to wait until the March Apple event to see if there might be a price drop. Being able to pay for them with installments on the Apple Card is pretty appealing to me too, even if I do have the money for them now.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

there are plenty of cheaper options out there now. they dont sound as good as other options, certainly not in the price range they compete in.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

Laserface posted:

there are plenty of cheaper options out there now. they dont sound as good as other options, certainly not in the price range they compete in.

I'm too much of a nerd to use them for music (or movies/games) much at all really, I like real headphones too much. 95% spoken word listening and calls for me, which they are absolutely excellent for but indeed quite expensive for.

I do rather like the iPhone integration and device handoff convenience features. But before I had them I was happy with $26 Anker cable-loop earbuds for the same use cases. (With the on-the-go bonus of: if I lose/break these after a few years, no big deal.)

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
My current go to is the Skullcandy Sesh XT that I buy refurb off eBay for $23, but being able to switch between my watch and phone with ease and have the peace of mind of AppleCare might be worth it to me in the end.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

im on the net me boys posted:

My current go to is the Skullcandy Sesh XT that I buy refurb off eBay for $23, but being able to switch between my watch and phone with ease and have the peace of mind of AppleCare might be worth it to me in the end.

yeah nah sorry I do not see the value proposition at all in going from $23 headphoones to $300 headphones just so you can switch between devices slightly easier and also buy Apple Care for your $300 headphones.

just buy a box of the $23 headphones (or buy something else because skullcandy are awful reliabilty/build quality wise)

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Laserface posted:

yeah nah sorry I do not see the value proposition at all in going from $23 headphoones to $300 headphones just so you can switch between devices slightly easier and also buy Apple Care for your $300 headphones.

just buy a box of the $23 headphones (or buy something else because skullcandy are awful reliabilty/build quality wise)

There’s other poo poo I want on the AirPods Pro like the active noise cancelling that doesn’t come on cheaper earbuds. Also while I agree that Skullcandy headphones are usually awful, the Sesh line seems to be a departure from that. They’re even the budget pick for Wirecutter.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You can pretty regularly get the AirPods for under $200 and they are absolutely worth it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I've probably said this before but I wish they made wired AirPods.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The new Beats Flex line are a good upgrade from the older BeatsX. Doubled the battery life, price is only $50 ($40 on sale) now and they have a neat feature where if you take out the buds and clasp them together magnetically they will pause the music. A+, good mowin' buds.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration
I can't say I don't now relish things like walking to the pharmacy or to pick up a sandwich and just leaving my drat phone behind completely and listening to podcasts and making payments via my watch and having it all be seamless.

Necessary? No. A value proposition? Lol. An enjoyable luxury? Yes.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

FCKGW posted:

The new Beats Flex line are a good upgrade from the older BeatsX. Doubled the battery life, price is only $50 ($40 on sale) now and they have a neat feature where if you take out the buds and clasp them together magnetically they will pause the music. A+, good mowin' buds.

Looking at these now and they don’t look bad by any means. They might not be completely wireless but that’s a compromise I’m willing to take for the easy paring. Thanks for mentioning them!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

There’s other poo poo I want on the AirPods Pro like the active noise cancelling that doesn’t come on cheaper earbuds. Also while I agree that Skullcandy headphones are usually awful, the Sesh line seems to be a departure from that. They’re even the budget pick for Wirecutter.

my personal opinion (that previously this thread has told me is the wrong opinion, because its the iphone thread) is that ANC is only really useful on planes/trains/buses. ANC doesnt work that well for irregular noise, imo.

I have some SoundPeats true wireless IEMs that were $45 on amazon and they actually sound incredibly good - Bluetooth is lossy but these seem to pick up on details that even my fancy lightning cable ANC headphones (Pioneer RAYZ) do not reproduce.

The case is bulky and the touch controls suck. thats the only complaints. I can lose/break 8 sets of these things before I've bought 1 set of Airpods Pro.

Im one to gladly throw money at good sound gear but I do not see the value in Airpod Pros.

e: on the pairing thing im probably an edge case but I dont really hop from one device to another that often and I dont find it to be that much of a pain to go into control centre and disconnect/select a BT device. certainly not a feature that I feel justifies the cost of airpod/pros which are $250AUD/400AUD lol

Laserface fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 26, 2021

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

I might just get the Beats Flex for now. I know the AirPods Pro are pretty decently expensive but I was planning on having them for quite a while, and trying to get some on sale if new ones came out. If I don’t like the beats I know my husband will and they won’t go to waste.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

gently caress it I got the flex. Price has been the thing making me hesitate on the Pros and I’m glad I did.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I have Beats Flex and I like them mostly.

Turning them off and on is a pain. (press and hold power button, should be a toggle switch IMO.)
I hate the squishy play/pause button. Should be clicky.
When you activate Siri it puts it into some weird transparency mode, maybe so you don't yell into it. There is no transparency mode otherwise.
I prefer EarPods style than in-ear style.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

~Coxy posted:

I have Beats Flex and I like them mostly.

Turning them off and on is a pain. (press and hold power button, should be a toggle switch IMO.)
I hate the squishy play/pause button. Should be clicky.
When you activate Siri it puts it into some weird transparency mode, maybe so you don't yell into it. There is no transparency mode otherwise.
I prefer EarPods style than in-ear style.

Yeah I agree with this.

I had the beats X and I really liked them but the above issues were a pain.

For the price though if you are in the apple eco system they are worth it.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Can the beats flex read messages to you as you get them?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

No, you'd have to press-hold the play/pause and ask Siri to read it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
It's a setting in Siri->Announce Messages for "2nd generation AirPods and some Beats headphones"

I know it works on my Powerbeats Pro but no clue if the Beats Flex counts there.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

fourwood posted:

The main thing I think I notice is no/bad syncing between watch and phone for SMS/green bubbles. i.e. The watch notification triggers, I read the SMS on my phone, but then the watch doesn’t get the memo that it’s been read so it triggers again since I have message “repeat alerts” enabled.

I think you have to delete an affected thread to fix it. I had that issue and that's what fixed it for me.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I got a pair of cheap wireless earbuds that wrap around your ears for times when my AirPods would otherwise fall out and its amazing what you can get for $30. They sound just as good as AirPods, but when you take them out of your ears they keep playing. And when you put them in their charging case they also keep playing. I have to literally turn them off in BlueTooth settings to get my audio back. The Apple tax apparently pays for software and sensors worth a drat.

I've heard there are fit issues with the Apple leather cases. Has anyone had a problem? I'm trying to figure out a color combination to purchase along with one of those MOFT MagSafe wallets. I know, I know, Saddle Brown is the answer...

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The Apple tax is maybe a bit much, because my current Galaxy Buds+ do everything the Airpods Pro do, except for ANC, at half the price, and last longer.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I can't say that ANC is worth double the price, but it is a pretty killer feature that kills any headphones for me if they don't have it as an option. It cuts out so drat much if you spend any time in areas with droning noises.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

japtor posted:

It's a setting in Siri->Announce Messages for "2nd generation AirPods and some Beats headphones"

I know it works on my Powerbeats Pro but no clue if the Beats Flex counts there.

I don't have it as an option, even with the Beat Flex on and connected, so I guess not.

---

Has anyone run into a situation where a phone won't charge to 100%?
My wife's 8 is getting long in the tooth with a bad battery, but it doesn't help that it won't actually seem to charge it to full in the first place.
According to the graph it doesn't even seem to charge it much above 50%, so it "can't" be Optimised Charging fuckery. (I've tried turning that off now just in case...)

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

My Beats Flex came in today. This is only my first impression, but I really like these. The default set of earbud covers worked great for me but I liked getting to try each style they included, and pairing is of course easy as hell and I can see the battery life on the widget.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

xzzy posted:

I can't say that ANC is worth double the price, but it is a pretty killer feature that kills any headphones for me if they don't have it as an option. It cuts out so drat much if you spend any time in areas with droning noises.
I'd love to have ANC as option. One of the reasons I'm still hanging onto these Galaxy Buds, after having converted everything else to the Apple ecosystem, is also because the Airpods Pro are loving white. If they were to release a space-grey version (of the next ones coming soon), all bets are off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

My Beats Flex came in today. This is only my first impression, but I really like these. The default set of earbud covers worked great for me but I liked getting to try each style they included, and pairing is of course easy as hell and I can see the battery life on the widget.

Yeah having that W1 chip inside means pairing is instantaneous, painless, and accurate (with Apple phones). It's really nice that they include 3 different sizes right off the bat, because you will go through a bunch..

In my experience that W1 also insures nearly total immunity from interference. Used to have a pair of TaoTronics that I loved, but every time I walked through a busy commuter terminal I'd experience fuzzy reception, dropouts, and distortion while listening. When I switched to a Powerbeats Pro which also has the W1 chip, interference pretty much became a thing of the past. It still happens occasionally but it's pretty infrequent and never when I'm in a moderately 'quiet' situation.