Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Nenonen posted:

I think they should put something to close the end and the top or it might sink at launch.

few rolls of plastic wrap should do it ezpz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Goreld posted:

Is this one not OSHA because one of the hoses is going over the hood, instead of through the front windows/windshield where it belongs? I mean you could probably fit *all* the hoses through the car if you want the best results.

I think there's enough distance for the front one to go on the hood. Every firefighter I've ever known has cherished the day he got to bust car windows to run a hose through them.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qoy6wf3lJ21vy4sqt.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qott8znS4y1qejbir.mp4

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

I'm not an expert on bird law, but would that chicken do anything to him? From what I've seen of bird that want to gently caress poo poo up, they usually puff themselves up and flap their wings. That chicken seems to just want to check the dude's vibe, which is clearly bad.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

Larger-and-larger dominos falling meme:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Cojawfee posted:

I'm not an expert on bird law, but would that chicken do anything to him? From what I've seen of bird that want to gently caress poo poo up, they usually puff themselves up and flap their wings. That chicken seems to just want to check the dude's vibe, which is clearly bad.

Nah, that chicken just wants to deliver some packages, not do any harm to him.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

Nenonen posted:

Nah, that chicken just wants to deliver some packages, not do any harm to him.

Got 'em

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Nenonen posted:

I think they should put something to close the end and the top or it might sink at launch.
I think the front fell off.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qoz1pmFefA1r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qoyzt7eW771r0uzl6.mp4

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Nenonen posted:

How about cardboard?

Return Loss
Jul 22, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

Also a horse can hit a maximum power output of around 15 horsepower. One horsepower was originally an estimate of how much power a horse could produce continuously over the course of a workday, for easy comparison to steam engines. Top human athletes can peak at around one horsepower, or sustain 80-120 watts for many hours.

:eng101:

Essentially correct, but the numbers are a bit off. Track cyclist legend Chris Hoy could put out about 2500W (3+ horsepower) in a sprint. Lesser athletes can still generate well in excess of 1 horsepower for short sprints.
At the endurance end, Matthew Hayman rode at 313W average over 6 hours when he won Paris-Roubaix in 2016.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

How about cardboard?

Gotta use something waterproof, put a tarp on there.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Drywall.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

How about cardboard?

Cardboard and sellotape are verboten in oil tankers since they might cause the front to fall off. But I'm pretty sure they'll work just fine here since the ship doesn't have a front!

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I'm just impressed that when they later crunched the numbers on agricultural data it turns out that 1hp is about how hard you want to work a horse for any period of time unless you want to work your horse to death because you're the pigs from Animal Farm.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Like a glove.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/gDP1RrI.mp4

Fire suppression test , though I’m not sure why they left the lifts in the middle.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cat Hatter posted:

I'm just impressed that when they later crunched the numbers on agricultural data it turns out that 1hp is about how hard you want to work a horse for any period of time unless you want to work your horse to death because you're the pigs from Animal Farm.

That's precisely how James Watt came up with it. He watched horses at work on farms and figured out how much work they could do on average on a sustained basis.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Yes, but to my understanding he didn't have a very large sample size. Also, depending on who you ask, he may have just used a pony and then guessed the number would be 50% higher for a horse.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I seem to remember that 1hp is a bit high by modern horse- and welfare standards, but that may just be a case of having better farm horses back when they were your primary choice.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Animal welfare standards allow humans to win against horses in marathons.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Cartoon Man posted:

Fire suppression test , though I’m not sure why they left the lifts in the middle.

The flow seems to shut off when the level of foam (?) gets almost to the tops of the lifts, so maybe something to do with measurement of how much foam was dumped? I mean, I guess they could have just put a few marks on the walls, but covering a "thing" is maybe a more tangible result?

E: on the other hand, maybe that has nothing to do with it. I noticed the plastic sheeting on the right fell and they also stopped shortly after that too. Maybe they shut down because the plastic fell.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 24, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They needed the lifts to put up the plastic sheeting (which fails on the right side at twenty‐eight seconds) and couldn’t exactly drive them out after the job was complete.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cat Hatter posted:

Yes, but to my understanding he didn't have a very large sample size. Also, depending on who you ask, he may have just used a pony and then guessed the number would be 50% higher for a horse.

You probably don't need a very large sample size when your entire national energy infrastructure is built around horses and you have special breeds carefully selected to perform specific tasks. Any mill owner could probably tell you exactly how much work he could get out of his horses over the course of a day without wearing them out.

Platystemon posted:

I thought that this was just an evolutionary thing. Most prey animals have evolved for quick bursts of speed to evade predators, but they can't keep it up for very long. Humans have very efficient aerobic respiration and the ability to travel at low speeds more or less continuously. Ancient humans supposedly hunted just by walking after their target for hours or days until it was too exhausted to run any longer, then stabbing or beating it to death.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

The only thing better than all that fluffy cancer is the brown water at the beginning swarming with god knows what.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I wonder if the fact that the plastic fell down made this go from "routine testing" to "EPA clusterfuck". If they're using flourinated foam and they just let a bunch of it out their front door, they just might be turbo-hosed.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Cthulu Carl posted:

The only thing better than all that fluffy cancer is the brown water at the beginning swarming with god knows what.

Don't worry, it's just pipe juice!

That poo poo is nasty, and if you've never smelt it and gotten it on you then I envy you forever.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Perhaps the human runners should have to carry a horse on their back, just to make it a fair competition.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jabor posted:

Perhaps the human runners should have to carry a horse on their back, just to make it a fair competition.

The Mike Pence Memorial Marathon

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Cartoon Man posted:

System designed by Peter North

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Cartoon Man posted:

Is the goal to kill everyone inside?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Potato Salad posted:

Is the goal to kill everyone inside?

If everyone inside is a fire, then yes.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Cojawfee posted:

If everyone inside is a fire, then yes.

You have a little fire inside you, when it goes out, you die.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Platystemon posted:

...Are those horses forced to carry a human for the race? That's one hell of an unmentioned handicap...

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

jetz0r posted:

Inside your there are two fires gently caress gently caress poo poo this hurts ow.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Serephina posted:

...Are those horses forced to carry a human for the race? That's one hell of an unmentioned handicap...

Letting the horses wander off with no guidance might be a considerably harsher handicap

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Jenny Agutter posted:

Letting the horses wander off with no guidance might be a considerably harsher handicap

Have the runners carry another small human! Fair is fair, after all.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Ah, so, those are crumple zones not roll bars...

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

jetz0r posted:

Much like electronics, if you let the magic smoke out, the chip is ruined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

i am harry posted:

Ah, so, those are crumple zones not roll bars...

There really should be a warning label.