Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man
Man, the markets were very red today.

Really, REALLY glad I managed to catch the knife on CCIV. Good lord, that drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

I wonder if there's any advantage to getting both, eventually.

Perhaps a small advantage, but they probably won't let you get both for awhile, would be weird if you did.

I kind of don't want to get jj and then have to wait a year to get the one that would actually make me feel ok sharing a long elevator ride with a coughing maskless mouth breather.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Kunabomber posted:

arzying comes to mind

Im dating myself but arzy was all about politics and Zaurg would take a 1000 and invest it in a company that just announced it was going out of business right?

Pillowpants fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 24, 2021

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Ah, got it. I didn't even know about that zaurg, so when I see someone post nonstop I think about arzy

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Kunabomber posted:

Ah, got it. I didn't even know about that zaurg, so when I see someone post nonstop I think about arzy

:zaurg:

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
So are ETFs that focus on international markets a decent way to hedge against sell offs due over concerns about the Fed raising interest?

While most of the stocks I follow were dropping like a rock in the AM today I noticed VXUS and VYMI were pretty stable. I need to go back and see if they saw any change during the sell off during the bond interest increase last week, too. My thinking is that we are probably going to see more panic sales over the interest rate over the next year or two, which in turn will provide a pretty good opportunity to buy up some stocks on the cheap if you have cash on hand. I am considering starting to put some money into one of these ETFs or another similar one so itll grow at a decent rate while providing a piggy bank to buy up stocks at Fed sponsored fire sales. Is this a completely bad idea? Im new to this so feedback is really appreciated.

DapperDraculaDeer fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 24, 2021

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

So are ETFs that focus on international markets a decent way to hedge against sell offs due over concerns about the Fed raising interest?

While most of the stocks I follow were dropping like a rock in the AM today I noticed VXUS and VYMI were pretty stable. I need to go back and see if they saw any change during the sell off during the bond interest increase last week, too. My thinking is that we are probably going to see more panic sales over the interest rate over the next year or two, which in turn will provide a pretty good opportunity to buy up some stocks on the cheap if you have cash on hand. I am considering starting to put some money into one of these ETFs or another similar one so itll grow at a decent rate while providing a piggy bank to buy up stocks I think will perform better on days like today. Is this a completely bad idea? Im new to this so feedback is really appreciated.

Broad ex-US indexes are heavily weighted away from tech/growth and toward “value” stocks compared to the US market. That’s why they’ve done comparatively better during the recent interest rate worries: they’re starting from a much lower p/e multiple so there’s less to compress. Have a look at a US value tilt, such as VTV or RSP, and you’ll see they’ve done just fine too.

I’ve owned VTV and RSP over large chunks of the past year and still have family in them (and VFH).

Anyway yeah, international is a good place to have some money. I own some VEA and am eyeballing EMXC. Any diversified portfolio has some intl.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Pillowpants posted:

Im dating myself but arzy was all about politics and Zaurg would take a 1000 and invest it in a company that just announced it was going out of business right?

arzy would freak out whenever a poll said that obama was less than 8 points ahead of mccain and zaurg was the BFC mascot who was a pizza delivery guy and wasted money on insane get rich quick schemes

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Baddog posted:

Long time until witcher 4 eh?

yeah thats the one stock im holding for the long run instead of trying to make money in 1 or 2 days
honestly i think i might try putting a bunch of money in penny stocks or something since my experience with those has usually been pretty good (although i never made MUCH because i always put like 5 dollars in lmao)

i bought AMC at $9.39 so im not entirely sure if im going to actually break even on that, might have to just cut my losses

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jesus dude

https://www.amazon.com/Four-Pillars...ps%2C212&sr=8-1

Pick up that book, and read it through. From what it sounds like you really need to be focusing on your long term financial health rather than trying to flip penny stocks

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Gaius Marius posted:

Jesus dude

https://www.amazon.com/Four-Pillars...ps%2C212&sr=8-1

Pick up that book, and read it through. From what it sounds like you really need to be focusing on your long term financial health rather than trying to flip penny stocks

probably
honestly im not too serious about it, more just doing it when im bored with money im fine with losing

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

hbag posted:

probably
honestly im not too serious about it, more just doing it when im bored with money im fine with losing

Sorry man seeing all these kids on WSB lose everything is getting to me, I don't like seeing people losing all their dosh in a game they don't understand the rules of

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Gaius Marius posted:

Sorry man seeing all these kids on WSB lose everything is getting to me, I don't like seeing people losing all their dosh in a game they don't understand the rules of

yeah dont worry ive only put like 100 bucks total in im responsible enough to not throw literally all of my money at funny meme stocks

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Christ seriously. I'd take a dose of something with 0% efficacy if it meant I got a little "You can leave the house again" card with it.

That's obviously from a position of good health privilege but if you think about how many Americans don't even think Covid is any worse than the flu, they'll take whatever qualifies them as "vaccinated" and able to travel

taking the words from my mouth

COVID is basically over at this point for the majority of Americans. They'll still be affected by deaths and sickness but it's over and they're getting back to normal. There are a lot of overdue vacations coming up though... haven't people ITT had some decent returns on cruises recently?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Burn Zone posted:

COVID is basically over at this point for the majority of Americans. They'll still be affected by deaths and sickness but it's over and they're getting back to normal. There are a lot of overdue vacations coming up though... haven't people ITT had some decent returns on cruises recently?

My CCL calls started going crazy as soon as I decided not to hold them much longer.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
To me COVID won't be "over" until bars, restaurants, and clubs operate as normal.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

punk rebel ecks posted:

To me COVID won't be "over" until bars, restaurants, and clubs operate as normal.

So it's over here in Florida, then.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
I thought most people in the thread were down on cruise stocks. Ive got to say though, I think they may be wrong. I have a few family members that are "cruise people" and see them and their fellow cruisegoers posting on social media constantly about how they cant wait to get back on the boats. There is a very dedicated, hardcore group of people that are constantly going on cruises who are eagerly awaiting the chance to get back on those boats. When the cruises start back up most of them will be immediately booking multiple cruises. They are also popular cheap vacations since they are often times all inclusive or close to it, so for a lot of people they provide a pretty decent 5+ day vacation for about the cost of one stimulus check.

Most of my post-COVID travel bounce money is going into RYCEY but cruises seem look a decent option too.

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...
I started buying Expedia in December in anticipation of Americans not caring about coronavirus and going on more vacations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Deviant posted:

Just went to Fort Lauderdale for a week of my job and it was disgusting. I loving hate Florida.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Deviant posted:

It’s been over here in Florida since summer 2020. Where have you been?

E:

Rolo posted:

Just went to Fort Lauderdale for a week of my job and it was disgusting. I loving hate Florida.

Ft lauderdale has the Funky Buddha brewery, so you shut your mouth. I mean, yeah, Florida is a nice, warm shithole, but we have a few good places :v:

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 24, 2021

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...

Cacafuego posted:

It’s been over here in Florida since summer 2020. Where have you been?

As a horrible Silicon Valley person, this is just nuts to me. This place is still dead, but not as dead as a few months ago.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Americans are done with caring about covid but they certainly aren't done with dying from it

e: 40% of the country thinks it never existed and another 40% were given permission in the last month or so to assume that it's being taken care of now

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 24, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I haven't died from covid yet, I don't see why I'd start now

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
https://twitter.com/conanobrien/status/1364324912396140554?s=21

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

punk rebel ecks posted:

LOVE ME WIFE
LOVE ME GREGGS
'ATE FOREIGNS

OPEN THE BLOODY PUBS

java
May 7, 2005

Burn Zone posted:

SAVE, AAL, and CCL are my best performers currently.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Burn Zone posted:

UAL (planes!) and GOGO (wifi on the planes!) have done alright so far.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Burn Zone posted:

Lots of mutations that escape vaccinations may disagree

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
"And not every time I did that, but I would say every third or fourth time, I would run into the Ark of the Covenant being taken into the Israelites, taking the Ark of the Covenant into battle before them, because they believed that the presence of God was in the Ark of the Covenant. As I began to get this idea of a firm going and realized that I was fighting this war, I knew I had to name my company “ARK” for Ark of the Covenant.

[...]

I funded it for the first three years all by myself. And for the first three years, our assets didn’t grow that much. And I thought, Oh my goodness, what have I done? Every two weeks there was an exit of a significant amount of my wealth into the company. And I would kneel down and say, “Okay, God, You’re in control. Even if this company fails, I know I’ve done the right thing. This is a walk of faith for me. Your will be done.” - Cathie Wood

"Verily I say unto you, as you have done for the richest of my children, you have done for me." - God, apparently.

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Pillowpants posted:

Lots of mutations that escape vaccinations may disagree

I 100% agree with you, and have recently gotten N95 masks for my entire family and discussed the risks with them. However, I don't feel like most people are as tuned in and they are extremely burned out on COVID regardless of the risks.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Uncle Lloyd posted:

"And not every time I did that, but I would say every third or fourth time, I would run into the Ark of the Covenant being taken into the Israelites, taking the Ark of the Covenant into battle before them, because they believed that the presence of God was in the Ark of the Covenant. As I began to get this idea of a firm going and realized that I was fighting this war, I knew I had to name my company “ARK” for Ark of the Covenant.

[...]

I funded it for the first three years all by myself. And for the first three years, our assets didn’t grow that much. And I thought, Oh my goodness, what have I done? Every two weeks there was an exit of a significant amount of my wealth into the company. And I would kneel down and say, “Okay, God, You’re in control. Even if this company fails, I know I’ve done the right thing. This is a walk of faith for me. Your will be done.” - Cathie Wood

"Verily I say unto you, as you have done for the richest of my children, you have done for me." - God, apparently.
What in the gently caress, I think she might have missed a few pertinent points from the bible, like the meek shall inherit the earth and all that.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Has anyone looked at the data for stock performance of producers of hydroxychloroquine since last spring?

When the Trump admin pushed it, it created a lot of anxiety for people who actually needed it - people who suffered from Lupus, research studies related to Lupus, etc., but I haven't heard anything lately. I assume they might've gotten a brief boost, but the effect was otherwise negligible.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Ok, I'm getting out of my ARKK in the morning. No apparent risk officer, a COO from a local TV station, buying even more Tesla on this dip, and now the Jesus thing... message received ok?!

Zerstorung
Jun 27, 2008
Everything I've heard/read about ARK makes them seem like that guy who read too many 'X tech company is going to be the next AAPL!!' articles and started dumping their life savings into them.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

So I just watched the China Hustle and found out that Chinese companies with garbage fundamentals get fraudulently listed on the NYSE via reverse mergers with American companies. If true it implies that there's over 1.1 trillion dollars worth of garbage Chinese stocks being traded in the US stock market and nobody cares.
Best part is the Chinese CEOs and other people perpetuating this fraud won't face consequences because the SEC/FBI can't touch them abroad and the Chinese government has no laws or mechanisms for prosecuting fraud of offshore investors.

Just how much truth is there to this? If any of this is true it would mean that anyone with a share in emerging markets will be exposed at some point.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Everything Chinese is a huge bubble waiting to pop, Even the minister of finance has no idea what China's real GDP growth is, he started trying to use energy expenditure to measure it semi accurately. On every single level of the CCP there's incentive to cook the books, it's not just endemic it's encouraged.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
You gotta ask yourself; do I know the equity I'm purchasing? Oh, it's domiciled in China, I should take that into account when valuing this company. Like, yeah it might be true, but don't invest if it's a loving Chinese shell company.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Burn Zone posted:

Yeah, not remotely. I don't see anything resembling 'over' until labor day at earliest. The vaccine rollout is being bungled badly at the state level for idealogical reasons in the red states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Uncle Lloyd posted:

[...]

Lmao, is this for real? I no longer like Cathie