Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I'd be so stoked if TLOU got ported to pc, replaying that and getting to play 2 is like, the prime reason I'm considering grabbing a playstation. God of War and Tsushima would be up there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The Kins posted:

From Humble Bundle's Facebook post comments section:

No word on whether it's standard or ultimate, as far as I could see.

If it has a Steam key option presumably it's Ultimate. Which would be super cool and I hope is true! More than happy to be wrong.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I'm going to be keeping an eye out for Epiphany City. The trailer makes it look like it might be extremely my thing.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ultrafilter posted:

I'm going to be keeping an eye out for Epiphany City. The trailer makes it look like it might be extremely my thing.
seems neat but i wish RPG Maker (assuming this was made in that) had anything like movement acceleration or better transitions when changing angles and such. it's just little stuff like that that always makes such games look cheap even when they have nice original art. (they should also consider animating the backgrounds a bit imo)

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

theres a peaky blinders video game?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Awesome! posted:

theres a peaky blinders video game?

IIRC it's a squad tactics thing murder puzzler which was regarded as "pretty okay."

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I came around a bit on Pathologic 2 after setting it to the easiest settings I could. To it's credit its keeping me engaged for hours on end when usually most games I'll play for an hour or two before wanting to quit and do something else all other things aside its a very tightly focused narrative. It's definitely playable now with 95% less hassle on the survival stat "timers" so to speak and the ability to run for more then 10 seconds at a time. "Playable" by the easiest standards means don't gently caress around and find out because 2 thugs with knives can kill still you before you can pull your weapons out.

It still has several moments where I just ask wtf were they thinking, and every time some bullshit happens all I can think is "yeah, this would've killed me on normal". It's like a 20-25 hour game where you could expect to lose an entire run 1/2 of the way in. I missed out on a fund (a huge deal) because I did exactly what the text told me to do, it didn't trigger the quest completion, so I assumed I'd have to come back later and since everything is one an extremely tight schedule I didn't have time to trying a diagnose a glitch or obscure quest trigger.

And my god, the combat. A game where you're on the razor's edge of survival should not come down to absolute garbage hitbox problems, hitting an ally pretty much through an enemy, and having the screen constantly go super blurry the moment an enemy grabs you for 5-10 seconds. Seeing the NPC's have a variety of combat moves they can do but you can't do back is infuriating.

There's an extremely strong vibe of trying to surprise the player with some new mechanics and dropping it right on them with no explanation, so you might start clicking buttons because you're not sure what it wants and then you completely gently caress something over. There's a thing where the game rolls the odds on who survives or gets infected, and the first time it happened I sat watching a roulette needle bounced between 2 different colors until it stopped on its own. Later I seems like I can click the mouse to stop the roulette needle where I want, or maybe I'm just speeding the process up? When one of the core game-play elements over who lives and dies isn't clear if the player has agency in the outcome that is loving garbage game design. Oh, and the first time I started clicking to stop the needle people died or got infected as I also couldn't tell what color meant which outcome.

All that aside, I will say the designers are loving brilliant in a crazy way, but I keep thinking back to this

quote:

But the game’s final structure is actually quite straightforward compared to what it once was. “In the beginning of development,” Slovtsov said, “there were no quest markers and many quests didn’t follow the ‘breadcrumbs’ logic where every step… gives you information on what to do next. We wanted to create an ‘old-school’ adventure feel where the players feel like an explorer of both the game-world and the story. Unfortunately, even our internal playtest showed that players are not ready to delve that far into the past of gaming right now, so what we did is make all the ‘main’ story content much more straightforward… while doubling down on obscure optional game mechanics like kids’ stashes, blood-drinking roots, hidden optional events, etc.”

They really, really wanted it to be as minimally guided as possible, no clues no icons, no arrows, just pure exploration. Yet you can't even mark on your map any areas of interest you find or anything. Tons of those "old school" adventures also let you drop pins to keep a record of the stuff your were finding in game. It really makes me think they are so in the clouds about how to create this ideal of what they think "old-school" is they are making it deliberately obtuse contrary to how said games actually worked.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 24, 2021

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Oye, can anybody help me remember a game? It was a 2D top-down survival game set in the Scandinavian wilderness. I played it like five years ago and it was probably at least five years old at that point. It looked like it was from circa 1995. It was a gather stuff, make camp, kill moose, don't freeze to death kind of game. I just played Wayward, which kind of reminded me of it.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Mescal posted:

Oye, can anybody help me remember a game? It was a 2D top-down survival game set in the Scandinavian wilderness. I played it like five years ago and it was probably at least five years old at that point. It looked like it was from circa 1995. It was a gather stuff, make camp, kill moose, don't freeze to death kind of game. I just played Wayward, which kind of reminded me of it.

UnReal World? It’s from literally closer to 1995 but has been developed continually since then, and is set in Scandinavia. http://www.unrealworld.fi/

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

tildes posted:

UnReal World? It’s from literally closer to 1995 but has been developed continually since then, and is set in Scandinavia. http://www.unrealworld.fi/

That's it, thank you. What an unfortunate name! I tried to google it but didn't get it because it suggested unreal world but I thought that was like unreal tournament or something.

And, poo poo! It's been out since 1992 and there's still no co-op mode?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
so I want to destress with some good ol' stardew valley, but the recent update obviously broke my mods I had installed, so I removed them and reinstalled. now it's doing this, even when I've wiped the folder and done a fresh reinstall, rebooted my PC, relogged into steam, cleared my cache, etc

how do I fix this poo poo, I've been following recommendations on the linked support page but nothing is working so far. I don't understand how uninstalling the game and reinstalling it doesn't fix the problem of it missing files.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

so I want to destress with some good ol' stardew valley, but the recent update obviously broke my mods I had installed, so I removed them and reinstalled. now it's doing this, even when I've wiped the folder and done a fresh reinstall, rebooted my PC, relogged into steam, cleared my cache, etc

how do I fix this poo poo, I've been following recommendations on the linked support page but nothing is working so far. I don't understand how uninstalling the game and reinstalling it doesn't fix the problem of it missing files.

a thread on reddit for this issue states "When you installed SMAPI did you configure the launch properties on Steam? If you did, you'll have to go and blank it out so it goes back to launching Stardew's exe instead of SMAPI's"

Maybe that will help?

I also assume you have already tried verifying the local files?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yep I literally just saw that as you posted, as I could start the game from the SV executable normally and was like "oh, it's probably something in the startup options". welp.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

HopperUK posted:

Sent you a PM! Let me know
It worked, actually. Seems like Israel is considered part of the EU for this specific purpose. Steam is hella weird.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Steam operates on Eurovision rules, clearly

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Skullgirls is yet again lurching out of it's grave like the killer at the end of a slasher flick.
https://steamcommunity.com/games/245170/announcements/detail/3017946057966482919

quote:

In addition to the Annie DLC (and our recent announcement of a brand new character in the works), we are excited to announce the first ever Skullgirls Season Pass!

The Season Pass will (minimally) include:

DLC: Annie
DLC: TBA Character 2
DLC: TBA Character 3
DLC: TBA Character 4
Season Pass Exclusive Palette Pack
DLC: Skullgirls OST (including the new Annie Track)
DLC: Skullgirls Digital Art Compendium (Fully Updated!)

NOTE: All Character DLC will include the Character, new Stage/Music, Palettes, and full Story Mode.

FUTURE CHARACTERS

Although Character 2, 3 and 4 have already been chosen (!!!), we are exploring ways in which players who have purchased the Season Pass can contribute to the DLC character release order (e.g. via some form of voting system).

Depending on how well the Annie DLC and Season Pass does - we hope to add even more FREE stuff to the Season Pass list, up to and including a FIFTH Brand New Character! We are still working on the details for this, but if this does come to pass, we will also be exploring ways in which players can also participate in the selection process.

BALANCE PATCH

In light of Annie’s inclusion, and ongoing character development in 2nd Encore thereafter, we are planning on including bug fixes, quality of life changes, and balance adjustments along with this DLC release.

These balance changes will be available (via a Beta mode, accessed from within the main retail version of Skullgirls) for free for all Skullgirls players alongside the Early Access release of the Annie DLC.

STEAM STORE UPDATES

Leading up to the release, we are going to be making some updates to the Store on Steam as we make room for these new arrivals. Most notably, this will include consolidating Skullgirls and all pre-existing DLC (including the 2nd Encore Upgrade, all DLC characters, palettes, etc) into one item and retiring the Endless Beta as a separate “game”.

If you have already purchased the 2nd Encore Upgrade on Steam, there will be no applicable change beyond older DLC no longer being listed on the store.

If you currently own the original Skullgirls (without the 2nd Encore Upgrade), congratulations! You just got the 2nd Encore Upgrade for free!

Expect to see these changes roll out on the Steam store before the end of February, before Annie’s Early Access launch.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

https://twitter.com/SteamDB/status/1364495771018657793?s=19

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

You mean to kick it off the Wishlist? Couldn't you just click the checkmark there and it'll remove it anyway? I feel like that's how I could do it before...

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Artelier posted:

You mean to kick it off the Wishlist? Couldn't you just click the checkmark there and it'll remove it anyway? I feel like that's how I could do it before...

i think it was an enhanced steam feature

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Awesome! posted:

i think it was an enhanced steam feature

It is. ES, which is now called Augmented Steam has had that feature for at least 5 years.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Feb 24, 2021

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Anno posted:

Steam page for Days Gone. Is it releasing a few months from now or two years ago? Who can say. I guess that's the PS4 release date maybe?

Pretty forgiving requirements.

I think Dwarf Fortress is still on "time is subjective" as if they're working on Halo 7 and not something that's simpler to run than a browser game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Anno posted:

If it has a Steam key option presumably it's Ultimate. Which would be super cool and I hope is true! More than happy to be wrong.
It looks like they started adding the seperate DLCs to Steam today, so it'll probably be the standard edition.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Imagine updating a game so it doesn't become the GOTY version anymore by default, just to add it to some other subscription service outside Steam.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I think Dwarf Fortress is still on "time is subjective" as if they're working on Halo 7 and not something that's simpler to run than a browser game.

You do realise that Dwarf Fortress is kinda incredibly complex and made primarily by one guy?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I've reached the Item World in Disgaea 5.

The game is over. I'm home now.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Look at this dude who never had a fortress brick over miasma.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
>Dwarf Fortress
>Simple to run

:psyduck:

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
Dwarf Fortress also continues to bring every processor in existence to its knees, once you start tweaking with the world generation settings.

Not because "lol game bad," but because Tarn Adams is a genius lunatic.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

This text character looking game is a simple affair that should have been finished forever ago. It's a loving browser game!
--a red text av idiot who has no idea what they are talking about

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Was going back through some older, weird games and found the store pages for a few of them. The "More like this" sections can be hilarious:

The Void:

Red Dead Redemption 2, Far Cry 5, Resident Evil 2, DayZ, The Witcher 3, Cyberpunk 2077, Five Nights at Freddy's: Help Wanted, Death Stranding

Sacrifice:

Mostly RTS games like WH40K, AoE and Total War (which are genre fits) though for some reason it also has The Elder Scrolls Online and Final Fantasy XIV...

Evolva:

SMITE, Red Dead Redemption 2, Grand Theft Auto V, Batman: Arkham Knight, Sekiro, Mafia: Definitive Edition, CS:GO, Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord

Zeno Clash:

Halo: The Master Chief Collection, Warhammer: Vermintide 2, Batman: Arkham Knight, NARUTO Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2, Red Dead Redemption 2, Half Life: Alyx, Bioshock: Infinite (let's not recommend Zeno Clash 2)

Algorithms are great.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

ErrEff posted:

Was going back through some older, weird games and found the store pages for a few of them. The "More like this" sections can be hilarious:

The Void:

Red Dead Redemption 2, Far Cry 5, Resident Evil 2, DayZ, The Witcher 3, Cyberpunk 2077, Five Nights at Freddy's: Help Wanted, Death Stranding

Sacrifice:

Mostly RTS games like WH40K, AoE and Total War (which are genre fits) though for some reason it also has The Elder Scrolls Online and Final Fantasy XIV...

Evolva:

SMITE, Red Dead Redemption 2, Grand Theft Auto V, Batman: Arkham Knight, Sekiro, Mafia: Definitive Edition, CS:GO, Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord

Zeno Clash:

Halo: The Master Chief Collection, Warhammer: Vermintide 2, Batman: Arkham Knight, NARUTO Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2, Red Dead Redemption 2, Half Life: Alyx, Bioshock: Infinite (let's not recommend Zeno Clash 2)

Algorithms are great.

Augmented Steam has an option of using SteamPeek instead, which suggests much more sensible games instead.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

ErrEff posted:

Algorithms are great.

The guy who developed Defender's Quest (and currently working on Defender's Quest 2) wrote a long post about his contract work at Steam on search/recommendation algorithms last year. It was really neat but it looks like most of his work never made it to the app and is either relegated to the steam labs or cancelled entirely: https://twitter.com/larsiusprime/status/1280159036634271744

The Diving Bell was actually pretty great for finding new games similiar to something I liked. RIP

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Wasn't there a 'Steam Deep Dive' thingie that did good recommendations based on a starting game you liked, and it chained together titles you clicked on to form a tighter suggestion thing? Where the hell did that option go, I can't find it anymore...

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah, that was the diving bell I think. Steam Labs says it's "shelved".

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

*enters a page for a shoddy visual novel with a couple of puzzles*

Steam: this is totally similar to Obra Dinn!

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

Yeah, that was the diving bell I think. Steam Labs says it's "shelved".

Oh, I did try that when it was available. It was really slow and cumbersome but I did like the results it offered.

Guess the overhead was too much for Valve to consider fully deploying it, or something.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yo, Shadow Tactics is 90% off. :stare:

I was gonna skip it and just get Desperados 3 (eventually) but that is a deeeeeeep discount you rarely see these days.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Mordja posted:

I was gonna skip it and just get Desperados 3 (eventually) but that is a deeeeeeep discount you rarely see these days.

Buy it. It's super good.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I regret never finishing the last stage. It's such a good game, but there's no way I can just reinstall and pick it back up where I left.

edit: Holy poo poo is it cheap! You should all be purchasing this instead of reading lovely internet posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mordja posted:

D3 has so many QoL features, but ST is still hugely awesome and for $4 I can't recommend it enough for anyone who just wants a fun, tactical real time but pausable strategy-of-sorts game.

Played both back to back last spring and they are such good games.

Serephina posted:

edit: Holy poo poo is it cheap! You should all be purchasing this instead of reading lovely internet posts.

this is the truth