Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Wifi Toilet posted:

Ok, I'm getting out of my ARKK in the morning. No apparent risk officer, a COO from a local TV station, buying even more Tesla on this dip, and now the Jesus thing... message received ok?!

wait what's the jesus thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Gaius Marius posted:

What in the gently caress, I think she might have missed a few pertinent points from the bible, like the meek shall inherit the earth and all that.
loving prosperity gospel, the worst scourge of American christianity.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They don’t need a dedicated risk management department, because they ARE risk.

Also I hate hate hate that a lot of newer finance people truly believe they’re good for humanity. Traditionally only the stupidest rear end in a top hat on Wall Street would ever believe that. They perform a service for a fee, and that service is suppressing the working class for the benefit of capital.

But some idiots think they can be a billionaire AND be a good person. No you can never become a billionaire by being a good person lol. If you believe in a soul and heaven, there is zero chance that a billionaire would ever go to heaven.

Oh my loving God I just read that. Lmao she’s a prosperity gospel person. Completely irredeemable trash

jokes fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 24, 2021

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...

Uncle Lloyd posted:

"And not every time I did that, but I would say every third or fourth time, I would run into the Ark of the Covenant being taken into the Israelites, taking the Ark of the Covenant into battle before them, because they believed that the presence of God was in the Ark of the Covenant. As I began to get this idea of a firm going and realized that I was fighting this war, I knew I had to name my company “ARK” for Ark of the Covenant.

[...]

I funded it for the first three years all by myself. And for the first three years, our assets didn’t grow that much. And I thought, Oh my goodness, what have I done? Every two weeks there was an exit of a significant amount of my wealth into the company. And I would kneel down and say, “Okay, God, You’re in control. Even if this company fails, I know I’ve done the right thing. This is a walk of faith for me. Your will be done.” - Cathie Wood

"Verily I say unto you, as you have done for the richest of my children, you have done for me." - God, apparently.

I'm scared

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

"I had a dream I could buy my way to heaven When I awoke, I spent that on a necklace" Noted Theologian Kanye West

jokes posted:

They don’t need a dedicated risk management department, because they ARE risk.

Also I hate hate hate that a lot of newer finance people truly believe they’re good for humanity. Traditionally only the stupidest rear end in a top hat on Wall Street would ever believe that. They perform a service for a fee, and that service is suppressing the working class for the benefit of capital.

But some idiots think they can be a billionaire AND be a good person. No you can never become a billionaire by being a good person lol. If you believe in a soul and heaven, there is zero chance that a billionaire would ever go to heaven.

Oh my loving God I just read that. Lmao she’s a prosperity gospel person. Completely irredeemable trash

Not a billionaire but Milton Hershey probably made it

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 24, 2021

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

ketchup vs catsup posted:

wait what's the jesus thing

Read the quote 2 posts up

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Wifi Toilet posted:

Read the quote 2 posts up

hoo boy.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Found a clip of ARK risk management:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKZSqd5Y8nA&t=2s

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 24, 2021

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I mean it's named ark what the hell did you guys expect lmao

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It didn’t have to be religious. Vanguard isn’t, like, a military thing. Names are names, they’re usually stupid.

It could have been them talking about having the biggest boat and surviving where everyone else fails. The fact that it went to the ark of the covenant instead of Noah’s Ark is even weirder.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY

Gaius Marius posted:

Everything Chinese is a huge bubble waiting to pop, Even the minister of finance has no idea what China's real GDP growth is, he started trying to use energy expenditure to measure it semi accurately. On every single level of the CCP there's incentive to cook the books, it's not just endemic it's encouraged.

🤔

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

paternity suitor posted:

The J&J vaccine is about to ramp up, doesn't require crazy cold storage, and is a single shot.
Pfizer has said their vavcine is actually fine at normal freezer temps (which some had predicted was a possibility but I did not expect them to take this long to get test results on that). Fortunately the cold chain stuff doesn't seem to have been a limiting factor so far.
JnJ's numbers on the single shot are mediocre but I have a feeling the two shot course will be much better. Hopefully results from that won't take too long. I hope they're also running mix'n'match trials, since even if it's mediocre as a single shot it might be just fine as a booster on an mrna vaccine. Lots of potential here but it'll probably take long enough that it will feel like yesterday's news in the US and the stocks won't do anything.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Wifi Toilet posted:

Ok, I'm getting out of my ARKK in the morning. No apparent risk officer, a COO from a local TV station, buying even more Tesla on this dip, and now the Jesus thing... message received ok?!

i mean yeah it sucks but I'm not selling at what is a break even point for me just yet, I don't think ark is going to continue to deflate in the short term but we will see. hoping to ride it back up to its recent high and then look at getting out

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
ps to the guy who posts here every time ark is mentioned saying how insane cathie is: you were right.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Wifi Toilet posted:

...and now the Jesus thing...

Noah, if you're into the bible or whatever, posted:

Looks like I'm gonna need a boat. Hmm... An ark, perhaps.

It's all falling into place.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
Only on this forum when someone who made crazy investments then made crazy money while continuing to be crazy only loses support when it turns out she is a crazy christian.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Foma posted:

Only on this forum when someone who made crazy investments then made crazy money while continuing to be crazy only loses support when it turns out she is a crazy christian.

elon musk is also unpopular on something awful and as far as i am aware he isn't an osteenite

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm not going to pretend goons are smarter, but for the most part there's a better calibrated bullshit detector around here.

Various goon hawaiian libertarian slave camps and dooby dogs notwithstanding.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female. And of TSLA shalt thou take with both thine hands a metric fuckton in every fund, what ever the fund's category may be.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

I'm not going to pretend goons are smarter, but for the most part there's a better calibrated bullshit detector around here.

Various goon hawaiian libertarian slave camps and dooby dogs notwithstanding.
Goons as a group are just a bunch of reasonable bros taking a pee in a well.

One goon alone is the one getting pissed on.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
I thought the director of research at ark sounded like a pretty reasonable and intelligent guy when he was on the odd lots podcast and it made me feel better about investing in their funds, idk I think there's more to the whole thing than just cathie and her being a religious psycho. maybe that guy is a religious psycho too though

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
as much of a crazy zealot cathy might be, i reckon she's still right on the tesla bet and how far ahead they are compared to their competition

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Kill All Cops posted:

as much of a crazy zealot cathy might be, i reckon she's still right on the tesla bet and how far ahead they are compared to their competition

If by "far ahead of the competition" you mean "makes better EVs than VW, Hyundai, Mercedes and Nissan", I would wholeheartedly agree, speaking as an EV enthusiast. But this advantage is not correctly reflected in the utterly bonkers pricing of the company. If you mean that this pricing gap is filled by other factors like self-driving, autonomous taxis etc, then we disagree.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
the valuation is determined by x however many years they expect tesla to dominate the field, it's not likely that they will dominate EV for however many decades the market cap PE is set to right now but their moat of scalable autonomous driving and battery research should hold up well for the next few years

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

So I initiated a transfer of account assets through Fidelity, one for Robinhood and another to get some free WeBull stocks I'd forgotten about. Fidelity hit me with two different $75 charges despite initiating through them. I'd read they don't charge if initiated through them, but there's probably some fine print I missed.

Do I just e-mail them and ask nicely now? Otherwise Lol. I'm going to do that so fingers crossed

MykonosFan fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 24, 2021

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston

Kill All Cops posted:

the valuation is determined by x however many years they expect tesla to dominate the field, it's not likely that they will dominate EV for however many decades the market cap PE is set to right now but their moat of scalable autonomous driving and battery research should hold up well for the next few years

What on earth makes you believe that doesn't apply even more so to VW, Toyota, Ford and so on. I mean fine if you want to bet on tesla on the assumption there's a bigger sucker willing to pay a higher price later on but looking at fundamentals, R&D, technology and corporate governance there is absolutely nothing supporting what you just said. Obviously none of that matters in this market though. Does your twitter feed contain a lot of rocket emojis?

Edit: you seem to not be aware that tesla is considered dead last in autonomous driving by industry professionals i.e not financial analysts. Also by using cameras instead of LIDAR they're in a technological dead end they're having trouble getting out of.

Churchill fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Feb 24, 2021

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Kill All Cops posted:

I think they will dominate the field for many years when it comes to range, efficiency, charging network etc. They don't need to defend their position from other EV makers, because there is so much market share left to steal from fossil cars. They can lose big in EV market share, yet gain big in absolute sales and total car market share. But that's the real world car stuff, it's durable goods manufacturing and not a rocket ship money bags type of thing.

I think ARK's pricing has been the same as everyone else's "pricing". First, it's not pricing at all, it's just "Wow number go up big. Now watch number go up bigger!" Then you can just rephrase it with some pro sounding stuff like "their moat of scalable autonomous driving".

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Ola posted:

I think they will dominate the field for many years when it comes to range, efficiency, charging network etc. They don't need to defend their position from other EV makers, because there is so much market share left to steal from fossil cars. They can lose big in EV market share, yet gain big in absolute sales and total car market share. But that's the real world car stuff, it's durable goods manufacturing and not a rocket ship money bags type of thing.

I think ARK's pricing has been the same as everyone else's "pricing". First, it's not pricing at all, it's just "Wow number go up big. Now watch number go up bigger!" Then you can just rephrase it with some pro sounding stuff like "their moat of scalable autonomous driving".

Even going for an insane optimistic scenario where Tesla gets the revenue of Toyota I see no reason why it should be valued at 3x Toyota. It's absolutely insane and makes no sense and no market domination indicators justify that. Especially in such technology as EVs where a crucial change can appear at any time. They had the advantage of flexibility at the beginning but now the big boys have the advantage of having actual real world experience with making millions of cars. Mature markets are already showing that when another option shows up people won't go for Tesla just because it's Tesla, Elon is going to eventually bore (hehe) people, and the company's best product until now is its stock.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'd say Tesla is on top now because the others aren't really trying as it is not yet more profitable to make EVs. IIRC the vast majority of Teslas income comes from selling CO2 tokens to other car manufacturers. When they start shifting to EVs, Tesla will be in trouble.

Edit: A pretty recent article about it: https://fortune.com/2021/01/28/tesla-q4-earnings-profits-tsla-co2-regulatory-credits/

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Feb 24, 2021

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
I doubt long term anybody makes any money off of autonomous driving. It’s going to be heavily regulated — every company that isn’t 1st place making the best autonomous driving cars is going to want to push for that because they’re not going to want the liability and so are insurance companies. How would an insurance co or regulator even certify software in a totally free market if there’s 10 manufacturers with 20 models each and 10 model years on the road at a time with software getting constantly updated?

Most likely somebody wins definitively and everyone else licenses the tech from them. That ends up being a monopoly and so heavily regulated. Or there’s just a government/industry standard set and everyone builds to it and there’s no money in it because no one has an advantage.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MrOnBicycle posted:

I'd say Tesla is on top now because the others aren't really trying as it is not yet more profitable to make EVs. IIRC the vast majority of Teslas income comes from selling CO2 tokens to other car manufacturers. When they start shifting to EVs, Tesla will be in trouble.

Without the regulatory credits, they wouldn't have been able to turn a profit, but most of their cost is paid for by their revenue. But that opens up for the whole accounting thing. So before everyone starts quoting everyone else, I'll check out of yet another discussion about this. There is like a Sudoku game of Tesla disagreement where each poster is a cell and the axes are various values from "total fraud" to "total domination" etc.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

Most of my post-COVID travel bounce money is going into RYCEY but cruises seem look a decent option too.

It looks like Rolls Royce has been on a pretty steady decline since 2013. Any insight into this?

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
NDRA up 10% in pre market

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

It looks like Rolls Royce has been on a pretty steady decline since 2013. Any insight into this?

They make jet engines and the Space Race to Mars is happening.

WSB is pushing it too but it’s been steady for a bit

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Burn Zone posted:

taking the words from my mouth

COVID is basically over at this point for the majority of Americans. They'll still be affected by deaths and sickness but it's over and they're getting back to normal. There are a lot of overdue vacations coming up though... haven't people ITT had some decent returns on cruises recently?

Yes and airlines too! Do it it's good! The re-opening trade is real and good

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Scarodactyl posted:

Pfizer has said their vavcine is actually fine at normal freezer temps (which some had predicted was a possibility but I did not expect them to take this long to get test results on that). Fortunately the cold chain stuff doesn't seem to have been a limiting factor so far.
JnJ's numbers on the single shot are mediocre but I have a feeling the two shot course will be much better. Hopefully results from that won't take too long. I hope they're also running mix'n'match trials, since even if it's mediocre as a single shot it might be just fine as a booster on an mrna vaccine. Lots of potential here but it'll probably take long enough that it will feel like yesterday's news in the US and the stocks won't do anything.

It's not mediocre! It's quite good! It's just not as good as Pfizer and Moderna which are like the Lebron James of vaccines! It's ok to be the Kyrie vaccine!

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
How exactly is extra hours price determined? Is it the halfway point between bid/ask (the “mark” if that’s what the column in my brokerage‘s dashboard means) or is something else?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Gaius Marius posted:

Everything Chinese is a huge bubble waiting to pop, Even the minister of finance has no idea what China's real GDP growth is, he started trying to use energy expenditure to measure it semi accurately. On every single level of the CCP there's incentive to cook the books, it's not just endemic it's encouraged.

sounds a lot like usa. weird coincidence

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

if you guys are bailing on Cathie for being Christian, just wait until you hear what she thinks about the Laffer Curve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Handen posted:

How exactly is extra hours price determined? Is it the halfway point between bid/ask (the “mark” if that’s what the column in my brokerage‘s dashboard means) or is something else?

It's the price of the last sale.