Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I thought they were better off road than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Anyone know if the occupants bit it?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Deteriorata posted:

I thought they were better off road than that.

Looks to be still on the road to me :colbert:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

waffle iron posted:

Anyone know if the occupants bit it?

Stable condition.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-ne-crash-near-i-4-downtown-orlando-20210222-qqgnmoxexnei5jnz7t6cdvbygu-story.html

I wonder if his jeep was one of the recalled ones for any of the steering or suspension issues.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

i am harry posted:

Ah, so, those are crumple zones not roll bars...

To be fair, they're not "dropped upside-down off an overpass bars".

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
When I was helping my friend install a canvas cover on her jeep, the instructions repeatedly referred to them as something like fun bars or activity bars or something, wacky and fun, definitely not "roll bars".

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

I thought that this was just an evolutionary thing. Most prey animals have evolved for quick bursts of speed to evade predators, but they can't keep it up for very long. Humans have very efficient aerobic respiration and the ability to travel at low speeds more or less continuously. Ancient humans supposedly hunted just by walking after their target for hours or days until it was too exhausted to run any longer, then stabbing or beating it to death.

IIRC humans have two huge advantages over most prey species here. First, humans can carry water and food with them and eat and drink on the move, but prey animals have to stop for those things. Second, humans don't have fur and can regulate their body temperature via sweating while many prey species have to literally blow off excess heat via panting, which they can't do while they're running. The combination of these things makes humans really good at chasing things until they overheat.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Canids otoh are at least as good at endurance hunting as humans despite having neither of those advantages.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Khizan posted:

IIRC humans have two huge advantages over most prey species here. First, humans can carry water and food with them and eat and drink on the move, but prey animals have to stop for those things. Second, humans don't have fur and can regulate their body temperature via sweating while many prey species have to literally blow off excess heat via panting, which they can't do while they're running. The combination of these things makes humans really good at chasing things until they overheat.

All that while taking a spine meant to be a clothesline and turning it into a tent pole.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Much like electronics, if you let the magic smoke out, the chip is ruined.

Nahh, you just need to refill it

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

The Lone Badger posted:

Canids otoh are at least as good at endurance hunting as humans despite having neither of those advantages.

[Citation needed]

I see something on wiki about African dogs but reading further looks like the “endurance” timescale for humans is much longer.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think dogs are able to keep up enough that it was beneficial for them to do so, but humans can probably go a lot longer than dogs. Humans can walk for miles and miles without getting all that tired.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

they'll just have to lower the floor

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Sagebrush posted:

I thought that this was just an evolutionary thing. Most prey animals have evolved for quick bursts of speed to evade predators, but they can't keep it up for very long. Humans have very efficient aerobic respiration and the ability to travel at low speeds more or less continuously. Ancient humans supposedly hunted just by walking after their target for hours or days until it was too exhausted to run any longer, then stabbing or beating it to death.

A big part of human persistence hunting is also being able to follow tracks when the prey animal runs far enough away to be out of sight/smell range. So your prey animal thinks it has run far enough away to be safe (because it would be against any other predator) and is starting to catch its breath when suddenly you’ve got the human hunters popping back up like “SURPRISE SHAWTY!”

There was an episode of Nova on PBS that followed some folks who still did persistence hunting. They basically just kept at a light jog towards the gazelle they were chasing. They’d get too close and it would gently caress off, and they’d just follow it at that same light jog, and every now and then it would be too far away to tell where it went so they’d stop for a second, examine the ground until they found the tracks, and then start right back at the light jog. By the time they caught up to it the animal had collapsed on its side, completely unable to move, and with a look of “what the gently caress just happened!?!?!!” in its eyes. Then the hunters just stabbed it with the tiny spear they’d been carrying and started to drag it back to their home.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Estonia II looking kinda rough...

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

Then the hunters just stabbed it with the tiny spear they’d been carrying and started to drag it back to their home.

loving running for 8 hours from a tiny man trying to kill you and he just won't stop. it's terrifying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=826HMLoiE_o

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

LanceHunter posted:

A big part of human persistence hunting is also being able to follow tracks when the prey animal runs far enough away to be out of sight/smell range. So your prey animal thinks it has run far enough away to be safe (because it would be against any other predator) and is starting to catch its breath when suddenly you’ve got the human hunters popping back up like “SURPRISE SHAWTY!”

There was an episode of Nova on PBS that followed some folks who still did persistence hunting. They basically just kept at a light jog towards the gazelle they were chasing. They’d get too close and it would gently caress off, and they’d just follow it at that same light jog, and every now and then it would be too far away to tell where it went so they’d stop for a second, examine the ground until they found the tracks, and then start right back at the light jog. By the time they caught up to it the animal had collapsed on its side, completely unable to move, and with a look of “what the gently caress just happened!?!?!!” in its eyes. Then the hunters just stabbed it with the tiny spear they’d been carrying and started to drag it back to their home.

It's interesting that following tracks seems like it should be obvious, but this implies that most predators can't do it. Our sense of pattern recognition is incredibly impressive.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Chamale posted:

It's interesting that following tracks seems like it should be obvious, but this implies that most predators can't do it. Our sense of pattern recognition is incredibly impressive.

Other animals can track. See: humans using dogs to track things for them.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
A lot of predators engage in tracking and stalking behaviour. But that usually happens before the chase, not during it - once the chase begins, many predator species are physiologically built to just catch and take down their prey, with no need to pick up the trail and resume stalking after it gets away. (Or to put it another way - predator species often choose to target prey that they can take down in a single chase, rather than trying to go after something that could easily escape the first time and would take a sustained hunt to bring down).

There are some species (like African hunting dogs) that engage in persistence hunting of things that they'd struggle to take down in a single chase.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

This looks like a perfectly normal railwave crossing to me, where's the OSHA?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Stable condition.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-ne-crash-near-i-4-downtown-orlando-20210222-qqgnmoxexnei5jnz7t6cdvbygu-story.html

I wonder if his jeep was one of the recalled ones for any of the steering or suspension issues.

Due to the previous posts about horses and marathons I first read this as a horse pun. :golfclap:

Glad they survived at least.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

CarForumPoster posted:

[Citation needed]

I see something on wiki about African dogs but reading further looks like the “endurance” timescale for humans is much longer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gobi_(dog) :kimchi:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

thepopmonster posted:

This looks like a perfectly normal railwave crossing to me, where's the OSHA?

It's not OSHA but it's very rude

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I think dogs are able to keep up enough that it was beneficial for them to do so, but humans can probably go a lot longer than dogs. Humans can walk for miles and miles without getting all that tired.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

It’s kind of hilarious that when we want to make an animal or monster scary, we make them hunt like us.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

https://i.imgur.com/y3tEQfg.mp4

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

The caption at the end reads "Life is Beautiful, so long as nothing happens/comes to pass"

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Is that an add for an insurance company or for german osha?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

VictualSquid posted:

Is that an add for an insurance company or for german osha?

It's propaganda against the deaf

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Devor posted:

It's propaganda against the deaf
Now you made me remember this bullshit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AerZ0VdwXA

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Sagebrush posted:

yeah our evolution is kind of a cool chicken-or-the-egg of stereoscopic vision aiding in walking upright and vice versa, and then brain size correlation, and then consuming fat and perhaps making the brain bigger. would highly recommend taking a "physical anthropology" course and seeing how things came along

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

The Lone Badger posted:

Other animals can track. See: humans using dogs to track things for them.

Dogs track by smell. They are unable to look at say a deer print on the ground and understand what that means. The pattern recognition in the visual cortex that allows humans to do that is probably unique although I wonder about some of the more intelligent creatures like a tiger.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

Dogs track by smell. They are unable to look at say a deer print on the ground and understand what that means. The pattern recognition in the visual cortex that allows humans to do that is probably unique although I wonder about some of the more intelligent creatures like a tiger.

I bet Corvidae are in that camp or can be if the need arises.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I know it's unfair to post Adam Savage in the thread, but come on. He's wearing a big, unwieldy dinosaur costume that restricts his arm movement. He can't get the costume off without putting it on that stand. He built the stand too tall, so his solution was to put a wobbly apple box in front of it, pictured here in a state of wobbling and him nearly falling over. This is like one of those episodes of a crime drama where someone films themselves dying and the detectives have to figure out if it was a murder or a suicide.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

My company sells warehouse material handling machinery like those lifts, and also tech and safety solutions including those foam blowers.

One reason they included the lifts in there was probably to gauge what happens to a piece of equipment that gets the foam inside of it's mechanical parts.

I know of three different warehouses that have been saved thanks to those foam blowers. The one issue with them is that there are a ton of uncertified companies that will install them incorrectly and if a spark gets up into one of them, the whole system will go off and blow foam all over the place, so it's important that you get a certified installer.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

Probably not. Human vision is way better than pretty much any other animals except for some birds.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Memento posted:

I wonder if the fact that the plastic fell down made this go from "routine testing" to "EPA clusterfuck". If they're using flourinated foam and they just let a bunch of it out their front door, they just might be turbo-hosed.

Speaking of which, they're having to bring in bottled water west of Phoenix in response to the chemicals showing up in the groundwater there: https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/glendale/2021/02/22/luke-air-force-base-bottled-water-chemicals-drinking-water/4550978001/

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Chamale posted:

Most predators have far better senses of smell than humans do, and can track prey they haven't even seen over vast distances hours or days after it passed through. Vision is only really necessary for that last fifty feet.

Human visual pattern recognition is probably the best in the world, though. I'm sure many people have had the experience of driving along the highway and suddenly getting a twinge at the back of their neck and then a moment later realizing there's a police car half a mile down the road. Your brain sees that tiny hazy pattern of black and white and instantly knows that it's dangerous before you're consciously aware of what it is.

I also have a pet idea that conspiracy theories grow from the pattern-recognition part of the brain overfitting the data it's given. Kind of like how allergies are caused by the immune system going haywire and mischaracterizing benign compounds as threats. On the savannah there's no real evolutionary disadvantage to briefly seeing a tiger where there isn't one, but overlooking one is obviously gonna put a cramp on your reproductive fitness, so our brains are tuned to overfit and see things that aren't there. Seeing faces in the clouds and everything. Today, in the absence of tigers in the grass, some people's brains still try to construct dangers from the data they're given, and they end up stringing together Bill Gates and covid-19 and Israel and pizza restaurants and satellites into a tiger that might be there

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Sagebrush posted:

Most predators have far better senses of smell than humans do, and can track prey they haven't even seen over vast distances hours or days after it passed through. Vision is only really necessary for that last fifty feet.

Human visual pattern recognition is probably the best in the world, though. I'm sure many people have had the experience of driving along the highway and suddenly getting a twinge at the back of their neck and then a moment later realizing there's a police car half a mile down the road. Your brain sees that tiny hazy pattern of black and white and instantly knows that it's dangerous before you're consciously aware of what it is.

I also have a pet idea that conspiracy theories grow from the pattern-recognition part of the brain overfitting the data it's given. Kind of like how allergies are caused by the immune system going haywire and mischaracterizing benign compounds as threats. On the savannah there's no real evolutionary disadvantage to briefly seeing a tiger where there isn't one, but overlooking one is obviously gonna put a cramp on your reproductive fitness, so our brains are tuned to overfit and see things that aren't there. Seeing faces in the clouds and everything. Today, in the absence of tigers in the grass, some people's brains still try to construct dangers from the data they're given, and they end up stringing together Bill Gates and covid-19 and Israel and pizza restaurants and satellites into a tiger that might be there

Look who's in the pocket of Big Tiger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Sagebrush posted:

Human visual pattern recognition is probably the best in the world, though.

We got nothing on hawks and owls.