Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAR-DurmA6o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

'Channel Awesome for theater kids'.
I don't recall bringing up Critical Role, but you do you.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Critical Role is a billion times better and more entertaining than Channel Awesome. That's just insulting.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I wouldn't say "a thousand times better" but there is no contest between veteran professionals and people who are just starting out.

Like, it would be unfair to Lindsay Ellis to put up her latest work next to her work from ten years ago and say they need to compete.

EDIT: Dammit, now I have "I'm a Distraction" stuck in my head.

Twincityhacker fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 24, 2021

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Hot take but I'd rather listen to Spoony or Todd talk about something they love (or hate) than just watch other ppl play ttrpgs, but maybe that's just me.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

Jamie Faith posted:

Hot take but I'd rather listen to Spoony or Todd talk about something they love (or hate) than just watch other ppl play ttrpgs, but maybe that's just me.

Dimension 20 is wild, wholesome and has elaborate sets for battles every other episode, at least in its pre-Covid seasons.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I don't quite get why watching people normally play table top or video games is as popular as it is, but there you go. I have fun somtimes, and sometimes I just want to play.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I enjoy Critical Role in bits and pieces, actually watching multiple hours of it week to week is a bit much for me though.

However I have listened to Nightmare Before Critmas multiple times. That dumb poo poo was right up my alley. :allears:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

It feels like every DnD group with friends that are moderate successes amongst themselves always have one guy that goes "oh my god yall we should livestream this!"

That's when the DM starts sweating and awkwardly goes "uh no that's okay" and it's never brought up again. :v:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Jamie Faith posted:

yeah. id rather either watch dudes ramble and try to be funny while playing games or random interesting people/critics or old tv shows or music.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Alacron posted:

I enjoy Critical Role in bits and pieces, actually watching multiple hours of it week to week is a bit much for me though.

However I have listened to Nightmare Before Critmas multiple times. That dumb poo poo was right up my alley. :allears:

Travis turning to stab santa haunts my mind.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
the concept of posting on forums as a faceless, voiceless series of words to other faceless voiceless series of words discussing strangers is bizarre

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Twincityhacker posted:

I don't quite get why watching people normally play table top or video games is as popular as it is, but there you go. I have fun somtimes, and sometimes I just want to play.

I don’t mind if the players can perform decently. The Critical Role folks can at least keep things fairly entertaining without too much dead air.

(That’s probably why there’s so many Critical Role truthers who swear the whole thing is 100% scripted)

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Pants Donkey posted:

Especially relevant to thread, the South Park episode where they couldn’t fathom why people would want revenue for their online....only to move the majority of their episodes online behind a paywall like a year later.

It's actually worse than that. They were already in the middle of negotiating an incredibly favourable deal for online streaming by the time that episode went up. Parker and Stone are huge hypocrites.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Sherlock Holmes video was so good and the MIB one was fine too but Filmento what the gently caress, why are your comment sections like this?! :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeX4qvP5mGg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBi2WyPVaMI

So many people going 'Uh yeah, we had good female characters before. Their names were Amanda Ripley and The Bride :mmmsmug:' And no one pointing out 'Wait, what the gently caress, surely there must be more examples beyond two characters from a movie that's 34/16 years old right?'

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

RareAcumen posted:

The Sherlock Holmes video was so good and the MIB one was fine too but Filmento what the gently caress, why are your comment sections like this?! :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeX4qvP5mGg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBi2WyPVaMI

So many people going 'Uh yeah, we had good female characters before. Their names were Amanda Ripley and The Bride :mmmsmug:' And no one pointing out 'Wait, what the gently caress, surely there must be more examples beyond two characters from a movie that's 34/16 years old right?'

This is giving me flashbacks to a goon in the CineD Spider-verse thread who insisted that black representation was a solved issue because of Will Smith in I-Robot.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Honestly, nothing about the thumbnail image for the Charlie's Angels ones makes me think "Oh boy, I gotta watch this video."

Like honestly, everything about it just screams "this video is misogynistic trash poo poo not worth your time, bud." Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I reflexively blocked Filmento on my Youtube recommendations as soon as I saw that thumbnail appear in my recommendations.

That plus I'll always take INTERNET HOTT TAKEZ videos about movies with female leads being "failures" with not just a grain of salt, but the whole salt mine - especially when it's a movie like Captain Marvel, which I saw Screenrant describe as a failure - Metacritic has it listed as "generally favourable reviews," it's Certified Fresh on Rottentomatoes, it made over $1billion worldwide and is the 6th most profitable MCU film (and 2nd most profitable solo film behind Black Panther - the 4 other films ahead of it are the Avengers movies). Seems like it's anything but, to me.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 24, 2021

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Vagabundo posted:

6th most profitable MCU film

That probably does make it a failure to Disney or whoever. You have to remember that in the capitalist hellscape, infinite growth forever is the constant expectation.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

That probably does make it a failure to Disney or whoever. You have to remember that in the capitalist hellscape, infinite growth forever is the constant expectation.

Maybe, maybe not, but nothing about the usual indicators says it was a "failure," other than audience scores which were targeted by fuckwit crybabies who are terrified of women, and can pretty much be safely ignored.

And once again, considering that it's the second highest grossing solo MCU film behind Black Panther, and outperformed other MCU films with similar or higher budgets, it would have to be a pretty loving scorching hot contrarian take to be able to argue it was a "failure."

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

This man has a 20 minute video about how great Godzilla King of the Monsters is. I just can't take anything else he says seriously.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Terrible Opinions posted:

This man has a 20 minute video about how great Godzilla King of the Monsters is. I just can't take anything else he says seriously.

I think a kid I taught a few years ago had the best and most honest reaction to that movie: "Not gonna pretend it's a great movie, but I had more fun watching it than a lot of other movies that same year," which is fair enough.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Terrible Opinions posted:

Sounds like a good YouTuber tbh.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Vagabundo posted:

I think a kid I taught a few years ago had the best and most honest reaction to that movie: "Not gonna pretend it's a great movie, but I had more fun watching it than a lot of other movies that same year," which is fair enough.
Yeah you know to each his own. I just feel like among the various monster movies I've seen serious to goofy, even on those merits it was among the least fun.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mycot posted:

This is giving me flashbacks to a goon in the CineD Spider-verse thread who insisted that black representation was a solved issue because of Will Smith in I-Robot.

Was that before or after BravestOfTheLamps said he would literally punch another poster's five year old nephew in the mouth in a crowded theater for the crime of liking the black Spider Man movie?

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Twincityhacker posted:

Yeah I love watching some lets players like Game Grumps but I tend to watch them more like a podcast. Like I watch GG to hear Arin and Dan make dumb jokes and tell fun stories. I don't watch them for their amazing gameplay.

Likewise, watching someone else play DnD is frustrating to me just because I'll be thinking the whole time "Why is the DM doing it *this way*? Why not like *that way*. Which is dumb I know lol But I can't help it for some reason.

nine-gear crow posted:

Was that before or after BravestOfTheLamps said he would literally punch another poster's five year old nephew in the mouth in a crowded theater for the crime of liking the black Spider Man movie?

I still can't believe theres people who want that guy unpermad....

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Jamie Faith posted:

Yeah I love watching some lets players like Game Grumps but I tend to watch them more like a podcast. Like I watch GG to hear Arin and Dan make dumb jokes and tell fun stories. I don't watch them for their amazing gameplay.

Likewise, watching someone else play DnD is frustrating to me just because I'll be thinking the whole time "Why is the DM doing it *this way*? Why not like *that way*. Which is dumb I know lol But I can't help it for some reason.

I watch LPs for both gameplay and podcasting; I'll watch something like a Demon's Souls LP (especially if it's like their first Souls game) to see how the LPer does, or watch Markiplier play a horror game that I was never going to touch to begin with, but I'll also watch Game Grumps to listen to Dan and Arin, or UpUpDownDown to watch Da Party interact with each other during their weekly Uno games

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I’ve tried to watch videos of people playing tabletop games a few times, but it just doesn’t work for me. I guess it just doesn’t have the visual element that makes a video game stream or LP work, and likewise because the players are busy talking to each other they can’t talk to the viewer, so there’s no sense of engagement.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

So Angie Speaks is having some weird meltdown over, uh, Aromantic people existing?

https://twitter.com/SpeaksAngie/status/1364288091280834567

https://twitter.com/SpeaksAngie/status/1364310400209158157

Most of her arguments are just the "I'm not homophobic but why do they have to shove it in my face??? :qq:" thing but with ace/aro people instead of gay people. The rest is just vague dirtbag left-style word salad.

No idea why she's dying on this hill. I guess she got bored of defending rapists so she decided to do something else morally repulsive.

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Feb 24, 2021

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Jamie Faith posted:

So Angie Speaks is having some weird meltdown over, uh, Aromantic people existing?

https://twitter.com/SpeaksAngie/status/1364288091280834567

https://twitter.com/SpeaksAngie/status/1364310400209158157

Most of her arguments are just the "I'm not homophobic but why do they have to show it in my face??? :qq:" thing but with ace/aro people instead of gay people. The rest is just vague dirtbag left-style word salad.

No idea why she's dying on this hill. I guess she got bored of defending rapists so she decided to do something else morally repulsive.

you fall in with peter coffin and you've got to bury yourself, I guess

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I've tried so many times to get through TTRPG shows and podcasts and every time it just feels like I'm the awkward third wheel on some group's session.

Also have had to come to the realisation recently that I'm also just not into playing TTRPGs as I always thought I would be. Reading through books? Talking about settings and lore? Reading through people discuss mechanics or stuff like FATAL and Friends? All rad. Actually playing them? Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, either side of the DM screen.

Jamie Faith posted:

Of course she is. What is it about Aro/Ace people that makes cretins like her spew out their latent queerphobia like That.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

SteelMentor posted:

Of course she is. What is it about Aro/Ace people that makes cretins like her spew out their latent queerphobia like That.

Because they're bigots and ace people are "acceptable targets" still. You see this poo poo in various shades, but one of the most common ones is just someone who actively wants to find someone it's still "okay" to hate - whether it's fat people, aro/ace, or any other convenient label they can use to disguise their bigotry (a very popular outlet for this is to hide just straight up misogyny under any other pretense, like saying the most whack poo poo under the guise of hating "the fujos" in anime communities, which is something you even occasionally see here on SA). And then as social trends change and it's no longer cool to say poo poo about groups of people for no real reason other than the fact that they're different, these same people are almost always the first to throw a tantrum about cancel culture because people are telling them they're lovely. Right now Angie Speaks is still in the "chest beating over how amazing her own hot takes are" phase of things but give it a day or two :shepface:

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Oh wow. That's really something.

I mean it doesn't take a genius to see the little aggressions that an ace/aro person would face in everyday life. If you're talking about relationships and you don't see sex as a goal or indeed appealing at all, people think there's something wrong with you. That's easy to see, surely. I'm not ace or aro and that's obvious.

But this is just ridiculous oppression olympics in the end, isn't it? "No, you're not oppressed. MY struggle is actually important. Why isn't this about me?"

Because that always helps. Funny that it's Angie accusing the aces of thinking this though. And of being narcissistic.

NO ONE ELSE HAS TO CARE, I write for the 30th time when confronted with these people's existence

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

What is it with people showing their whole rear end over aromanticism of all things? It may be the least externally visible type of orientation, and yet some people will go ballistic at the slightest whiff of it anyway.

Also, the use of the phrase "proclivities" is a colossal red flag. That's the term educated homophobes like to use to couch their bigotry in intelligent-sounding language.

e: Some folks will say aromantic people aren't oppressed and then call them broken loveless robot psychopaths in the same paragraph. Wild.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Feb 24, 2021

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

JordanKai posted:

What is it with people showing their whole rear end over aromanticism of all things? It may be the least externally visible type of orientation, and yet some people will go ballistic at the slightest whiff of it anyway.

Also, the use of the phrase "proclivities" is a colossal red flag. That's the term educated homophobes like to use to couch their bigotry in intelligent-sounding language.

there's a sort of recurring societal/cultural anxiety and fear tying lack of romantic feelings to otherness, that the lack of these feelings is evidence of otherness and pathology. the story of Alraune, based on the mythology surrounding mandrakes, is a sort of example of this: Alraune's lack of romantic feelings is tied to her "nature" as the artificial product of a criminal and she is hypersexual, "deviant", and inherently dangerous.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

JordanKai posted:

e: Some folks will say aromantic people aren't oppressed and then call them broken loveless robot psychopaths in the same paragraph. Wild.

Because some people only absorb the surface-level messages of "homophobia is wrong", "racism is wrong" etc. They're learned not to do those things specifically, but they don't get the real underlying message of "treat other groups of people with respect", so they're incapable of applying this to other situations.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

SteelMentor posted:

I've tried so many times to get through TTRPG shows and podcasts and every time it just feels like I'm the awkward third wheel on some group's session.

Also have had to come to the realisation recently that I'm also just not into playing TTRPGs as I always thought I would be. Reading through books? Talking about settings and lore? Reading through people discuss mechanics or stuff like FATAL and Friends? All rad. Actually playing them? Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, either side of the DM screen.

Honestly watching/listening to people playing TTRPG (or even doing them online in places like our Play By Post forum) is kind of missing the point of these games IMO. It's about having fun with friends and making up a silly story while you're in the same room together socializing.

Or that's my preference at least. I know my local gamestore does D&D for beginners where you can join in with strangers, but that just seems slightly too awkward for me.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Angie's talking points are very much "you're just doing that for attention/to have an identity" and honestly, as someone that dated an ace person, nope, they're just not really interested in the idea at all and it can be a bit weird if you're used to sex being one of the cornerstones in a relationship. I imagine the same applies to aro people, but with the idea of romance (hell, I kinda wonder if I'm not aro sometimes myself). CYBEReris put it pretty well, since it goes against the "norm" people have this societal anxiety when someone says "well, I'm not looking for relationships" or "I'm not into sex".

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I tried real hard to listen to the Six Feats Under podcast but, even back when I was biking everywhere and had time to listen during travel, having to pause in the middle of multi-hour long episodes all the time made it really hard to follow what was happening (plus my memory is poo poo) so I just gave up after a while.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

...why did Spider-Verse fuel BOTL's rage now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Dragon Friends is a fairly good aussie comedy D&D podcast where most of the episodes are recorded in front of a live audience, which keeps things entertaining because it very much is a performance, if that makes sense.