Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
its ok because Lovecraft didn't profit from his works when he was alive and is very unlikely to be profiting now.

OR IS HE?

cat tax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Communist Thoughts posted:

Get some CoC in your life imo

E: man I hope nobody digs up anything on Lovecraft

he wrote a story where the protoganist kills himself and burns all his family belongings after discovering his great grandmother was born in africa

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Tarnop posted:

You're right, no game is perfect but there are better ones made by people who, at the very least, are not confirmed abusers.

Tarnop posted:

Unsurprisingly, the rapist the nazi and their friend designed a bad game that's still bad even if it's free

Tarnop posted:

If I actually do scold someone for playing D&D as opposed to simply giving them a reason why they might want to play something else instead, feel free to go off.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Spangly A posted:

he wrote a story where the protoganist kills himself and burns all his family belongings after discovering his great grandmother was born in africa

Dudes Publishing Their L's

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Jedit posted:

That sounds like a Warcraft themed game, in which case the magpie people are the Arakkoa.

Nah Aarakocra are an actual D&D bird race

I have never played 5E, I stopped at 3.5, does that make me acceptably morally pure?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

multijoe posted:

The point is everything contains abusers. You may as well barge into any Ubisoft thread in Games or practically any Hollywood film thread in CineD and run off the same spiele, there's just no escaping that at some point most people are going to part with money that is going towards someone who did something horrific. So maybe at some point you don't need to hear the word 'D&D' and immediately inform everyone in the vicinity that it was made by BAD PEOPLE and strongly imply they are also bad people if they engage with it.

This is disingenuous as gently caress since I explicitly said "don't pay for it" instead of "don't play it". Not everyone has the time to research who the latest piece of poo poo in the RPG industry is, so I posted what I did because this is a thread of people who care about people doing abusive poo poo and who might choose to play or buy something else if armed with that information. Whatever else you choose to infer as part of your kneejerk defence is on you.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

DnD 5e>>>>>Magna Carta
Barges into the UK thread to inform everyone that the UK was made by BAD PEOPLE and you are also bad if you like it or engage with it.

"we know"

Spangly A posted:

A Reminiscence of Dr. Stanley McMurtry

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
it's a good story right up until the final page reveal too

just so incredibly jarring when it goes and she was blaaaaaaaack

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
There's the laundry files RPG which is cosmic horror.

Dunno if Charles Stross has done anything terrible???

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The real reason you shouldn't play 5e is because it's not very good

If you want a tactical dungeon crawler play 4e, Strike! or Lancer

If you want a story play literally anything else

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Spangly A posted:

just so incredibly jarring when it goes and she was blaaaaaaaack

conflated this with an earlier post and read it in an aarakocra voice

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

the easiest solution is simply not to enjoy anything. do not engage with creative works in any way and reap the social benefits

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

MikeCrotch posted:

Or 13th Age, or 13th Age Glorantha.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
are journalists on twitter still talking about kieth being forensic in PMQs

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Regarde Aduck posted:

Dunno if Charles Stross has done anything terrible???

He wrote some pretty questionable sex scenes but you already knew he's a scifi author so.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

MikeCrotch posted:

Na, I genuinely like 5e (issues with its creators notwithstanding). More tactical and balanced than 3.5 without feeling like a bad skirmish game where everyone is basically the same like 4. Plus every class seems to be awesome and well differentiated, while still being roughly balanced against each other.

Also less mage supremacy issues (though I’ve only played to level 12 characters so far)

Admittedly I’ve had a couple of seriously good GMs for it, but yeah.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Stross seems pretty decent, not quite Iain Banks and a bit self-serious but in a similar mould. Has some good political thoughts

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Jose posted:

I doubt it

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

sinky posted:

I doubt it

loving hell. I knew Keith would suck, but previously I thought all the ‘MI5 Plant’ stuff was just people being over dramatic. Now though..

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Tarnop posted:

Since we're doing D&D chat, just a reminder that 5E was designed by a rape apologist who hired a nazi and a rapist as consultants. When people who had been harassed by the rapist raised concerns, he doxxed them to said rapist. He faced no consequences other than having to shut up on twitter.

Don't pay money for D&D, play better RPGs by independent designers who deserve your money.

You are aware of what forum you're posting on right?

Camrath posted:

loving hell. I knew Keith would suck, but previously I thought all the ‘MI5 Plant’ stuff was just people being over dramatic. Now though..

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1364570570977853449?s=19

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 24, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Failed Imagineer posted:

*me thinking you're talking about Corrosion of Conformity*

:hmmyes:

That was my immediate thought too :rock:

But then I thought it's gamer chat (which doesn't mean it couldn't be both but unlikely) and I have nothing to contribute in the gamer arena.

(At least I figured out immediately that D&D wasn't Disease and Disaster because I knew about D&D (game) decades before D&D (SA).)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 24, 2021

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/Luiseach/status/1364548074337669123?s=20

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

serious gaylord posted:

You are aware of what forum you're posting on right?

I am, but it's pretty hard to post here without stumbling across the information that the former owner is a piece of poo poo. Or, to use multijoe's examples, movie industry abuses and the poo poo that went on at Ubisoft were stories that made mainstream news sites whereas comparatively few people are likely to have heard about Mike Mearls.

My post was motivated by nothing more than the feeling that if I was playing D&D and didn't know, I would want to know.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

some more good news

https://twitter.com/BallouxFrancois/status/1364571776819281922?s=20

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jose posted:

They've mostly shifted to awkwardly talking about how his dithering and poo poo decisions don't matter actually, because...

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tarnop posted:

Since we're doing D&D chat, just a reminder that 5E was designed by a rape apologist who hired a nazi and a rapist as consultants. When people who had been harassed by the rapist raised concerns, he doxxed them to said rapist. He faced no consequences other than having to shut up on twitter.

Don't pay money for D&D, play better RPGs by independent designers who deserve your money.
I honestly think you need to sit through Contrapoints' cancel culture video for posting this. Saying D&D is forever tarred by the actions of one person involved in its production is not only making GBS threads on the good work the rest of the team fought so hard for, it's exactly the kind of essentialist trashing she criticises at about 1:12:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjMPJVmXxV8

Christ, I hope your moral purity can stand up to this level of examination. Let me remind you that right now, you are posting on a forum that you had to have given at least $20 to a domestic abuser to be posting on. The technology you're using to post on it is built on the back of modern slavery and torture. Do you condone any of those things?

Can you honestly say you've never worked for a company that had abusers in its upper eschelons, or that you and everyone who worked on their products deserves to have all of their work shitcanned because of that abuser?

There's a reason we keep saying that there's no ethical consumption under capitalism. The world is horrible. It's run by awful people. To get big enough for shops in the UK to stock it 40 years later, a small RPG project from Chicago is going to have benefitted at some point from the contributions of someone who's done some shady poo poo. Smith /Mearls are only two of the people involved in the design, and it's not like their contributions were to write a chapter about how to abuse people in game.

But yeah, keep on with the idea that Matt Mercer rolling a D20 on twitch to raise money for charity is basically rape.

Jesus Christ.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Does the Johnson & Johnson vaccine protect against Stanley as well or just the main two?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I honestly think you need to sit through Contrapoints' cancel culture video for posting this. Saying D&D is forever tarred by the actions of one person involved in its production is not only making GBS threads on the good work the rest of the team fought so hard for, it's exactly the kind of essentialist trashing she criticises at about 1:12:30

Christ, I hope your moral purity can stand up to this level of examination. Let me remind you that right now, you are posting on a forum that you had to have given at least $20 to a domestic abuser to be posting on. The technology you're using to post on it is built on the back of modern slavery and torture. Do you condone any of those things?

Can you honestly say you've never worked for a company that had abusers in its upper eschelons, or that you and everyone who worked on their products deserves to have all of their work shitcanned because of that abuser?

There's a reason we keep saying that there's no ethical consumption under capitalism. The world is horrible. It's run by awful people. To get big enough for shops in the UK to stock it 40 years later, a small RPG project from Chicago is going to have benefitted at some point from the contributions of someone who's done some shady poo poo. Smith /Mearls are only two of the people involved in the design, and it's not like their contributions were to write a chapter about how to abuse people in game.

But yeah, keep on with the idea that Matt Mercer rolling a D20 on twitch to raise money for charity is basically rape.

Jesus Christ.

I'm quoting this post because it is good and I want to be able to find it in the future.

No ethical consumption also indicates that there is no ethical employment. We are all abused and abusers in this system, and we must find realistic and proportionate ways of punishing the worst abusers. Not buying product X because a known abuser might get some pennies also prevents pounds going to people who had nothing to do with the abuse, money that may be crucial to their survival as artists and even as humans. If those people decide to continue to associate and work with abusers once they know about the abuse that is another matter, but as far as I know this is not the case with 5e.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Bobby Deluxe posted:

There's a reason we keep saying that there's no ethical consumption under capitalism.

this is not an excuse to behave in any way you like - i can't chomp down on delicious orphan burgers and go "well, you know, no ethical consumption under capitalism - there's no way to eat a calorie without doing some harm ergo it's fine for me to eat any calorie." it is a statement observing our own limited agency in influencing the moral compromises we need to make to survive, not a permission slip to pretend there is no agency whatsoever.

you have vanishingly little ability to influence policy or outcomes as a consumer but that does not mean you can abandon the boycott, one the handful of tools permitted to you in a capitalist society - you would be sitting in the front of the bus in Montgomery in response to

quote:

This woman's case will come up on Monday. We are, therefore, asking every Negro to stay off the buses Monday in protest of the arrest and trial. Don't ride the buses to work, to town, to school, or anywhere on Monday. You can afford to stay out of school for one day if you have no other way to go except by bus. You can also afford to stay out of town for one day. If you work, take a cab, or walk. But please, children and grown-ups, don't ride the bus at all on Monday. Please stay off all buses Monday.

going well there's no ethical bus company ergo i am ethically neutral hurf

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
what about the bus drivers aren't we being cruel to them? do we want them fired???? my god have some worker solidarity

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I once had a bus driver see me running for it and wave and laugh at me while pulling away so they're all cunts imo

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Those orphan burgers sound interesting, what's the carbon footprint compared to industrially farmed cattle?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Camrath posted:

More tactical and balanced than 3.5 without feeling like a bad skirmish game where everyone is basically the same like 4.

This is one of those takes that I hear frequently and makes me feel like I'm taking crazy pills. I literally don't know how you can play 4e and think all the classes play the same, especially when I think that's much more true of 5e (and especially 3.5)

I think it's just one of those intractable things that comes down to the different things people want out of an RPG.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Jesus Christ.

You seem extremely defensive about this and I'm not sure it's to your credit.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Guavanaut posted:

Those orphan burgers sound interesting, what's the carbon footprint compared to industrially farmed cattle?

Flying them in from Little St James is pretty steep to be hones but we all get to have a treat now and again

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

CoolCab posted:

this is not an excuse to behave in any way you like - i can't chomp down on delicious orphan burgers and go "well, you know, no ethical consumption under capitalism - there's no way to eat a calorie without doing some harm ergo it's fine for me to eat any calorie." it is a statement observing our own limited agency in influencing the moral compromises we need to make to survive, not a permission slip to pretend there is no agency whatsoever.
Right, but I'm not talking about eating orphan burgers, I'm talking about a perfectly normal burger which tarnop is trying to picket because one of the people involved killed a child in a way entirely unrelated to the burger. Also in that metaphor neither of the people are involved in the production of burgers any more.

Specifically about the trashing of an RP system because two of its people were involved in abuse - one perpetrating it, the other covering it up and gaslighting it - when said RP system is taking great pains to consciously move away from problematic stuff and towatds a more progressive, inclusive ideology.

Honestly it's exactly like in Wynn's video where despite being a trans person trying to explain trans issues in a trans positive way, 10 seconds of one video are used to brand her as transphobic because of something someone else did.

Honestly the whole video is worth watching but I recommended that time sig because it skips straight to the difference between call-out culture, and essentialist trashing culture.

Yes you are essentially right that 'no ethical consumption' isn't an excuse for going straight for the most damaging products, but equally you can choose the least problematic ones, or ones that are actively fighting to try not to be poo poo.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Personally I prefer having been told that a known abuser is involved with a hobby I enjoy & will continue to enjoy (although lol@paying for it), and do not feel attacked in the slightest by having been told this :shrug:

What's the nazi thing btw? The abuse thing is all over the internet now I've looked, but I can't find anything about this

Bobby Deluxe posted:

the idea that Matt Mercer rolling a D20 on twitch to raise money for charity is basically rape.
jfc where did this come from

OwlFancier posted:

You seem extremely defensive about this and I'm not sure it's to your credit.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Yes you are essentially right that 'no ethical consumption' isn't an excuse for going straight for the most damaging products, but equally you can choose the least problematic ones, or ones that are actively fighting to try not to be poo poo.

sorry, i'm not interested in this specific example because i don't care about it - but, when i see someone observing or even evangelizing a boycott my reaction is "huh, fair enough" and "that's a legitimate protest even if I disagree with it". when i see "well, there's no ethical consumption under capitalism" being misused to delegitimize a boycott i see someone writing rationalizations for their own behaviour.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The small amount of money I spend on RPGs went on indie games instead of 5E, games also made by artists who need money to live. That choice was, in part, informed by my knowledge of what went on during the creation of D&D 5E.

I encourage people to make the same decision because I think, given the choice of supporting group of artists A or group of artists B, it's better to choose the group that contains the fewest known abusers. The rest of the D&D team have no greater or lesser right to my money than the people I chose to support instead.

I don't think my decision makes me morally pure. I don't think it absolves me of benefitting from a hosed up system. I don't think Matt Mercer is equivalent to a rapist for playing D&D on Crit Role. I have seen people go off at him on social media for supporting D&D for the reasons I mentioned in my original post, so I can see why people might assume that's my stance as well. It isn't. If everyone here who plays D&D carries on doing so then I won't think differently of them, nor do I expect them to care what I think.

I am, however, glad that I knew about Mearls, Smith and RPG Pundit before I chose which RPGs to spend money on. If I hadn't known I would have wanted my RPG friends to tell me.

My original post was pretty confrontational and dogmatic. I should have explained myself better. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Thanks for the d&d update